Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [21.89%]
3 [1.78%]
63 [37.28%]
29 [17.16%]
4 [2.37%]
0 [0.00%]
14 [8.28%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [2.37%]
15 [8.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is the Greatest Military leader of the Ancient period?
    Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 06:03
I voted for Pompeus Magnus. He's not very known but he's my favourite Roman hero. I think his greatest campaign was the one against the pirates that infested the Mediterranean: he menaged to bring safety to the sea routes and assured food import to Italy. Without him Rome may have been defeated by famine.
Menander View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 18:36
I think Alexander the Great is extremely overrated. He was a good general, surely, but he faced a crumbling, corrupt empire led by an incompetant king using an outdated mode of warfare.

To boot, Alexander's army was not of his own creation. As for him being ever defeated in battle, he was never outright defeated in a field battle (with Phillip's innovations, who would have been?), but was outmaneuvered many times, especially in his efforts to subdue Central Asia. Let's not forget that he was quite insane.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." -Siddhartha Gautama
Setchi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Setchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 11:00
i would say hannibal.but he was out of luck because the senate didnt want support him.maybe if they did it hannibal would showed us more
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 17:12
I voted for Alexander the Great because regardless of his personal vices he was a great general who conquered an incredible amount of territory in a relatively short period of time.  Also his impact on the ancient world in a cultural sense was immense, he was the catalyst of the hellenistic era.  As great as Hannibal was, he himself ranked Alexander as a better general because he (Hannibal) lost the battle of Zama.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 19:47
Hannibal himself rates,

Alexander
Scipio
then himself

He said if he had finished Zama victorious he would place himself above Scipio. That shows that Hannibal himself proud man as he was, would no matter, what he did, rate himself below Alexander.

TO those who repeatedly state mongol, or genghis kahn. Well 1200 is not ancient is it?
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 22:59

Alexander might have conquered large amounts of Territory but common, who was the original, Cyrus of course. That is where my vote goes

Also a lot of people misunderstand Darius. He did not just become king of the Persian Empire, he had to reclaim almost every satrap which revolted against him with a practically no money and only a modest army, and not even a homebase to begin with. Yet he achieved, he also had many successes against Scythians, the inhabitants of Hindush, and in Europe. Though the Greek wars are often overrepresented as disasters, Darius did win many battles and conquered northern Greece as well as many Greek islands with vital resources.

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 01:56
i vote for hannibal. it was a big thing to organize this long march trough spain ,france , croos the alpes and defeat the romans. for that reason i called my first hamster when i was very young hannibal.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 17:44

I voted for Alexander because besides being a great strategos, tactician and leader, he was also a man with a great vision which enabled the spread of hellenism. Why else did the Romans copied the Greek Culture and how else where they also possible to corporate the religion of the rulerscultus (that the leader  or king was divine, absolute and the only God on this earth). Just look at the result of the empires that came after Alexander's Macedonian empire: The Seluecid Empire of Asia and The Ptolmaic Empire of Egypt being the most prominent examples.

Hannibal never had such an impact, though he was a good strategos. For my dear great Djenghiz Khan, one can say that he had a very strong impact on China, but never one like that of Alexander on the other regions. There was never a real wide-range spread of Mongolian culture. They were nomads to begin with and they belong to the medieval time-period. And the poll was about the Ancient time-period!

IrishNation1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 17:37
I have to say Alexander the Great. Becasue of how far he went and becasue of His pure skill. I mean the Battle of Gaulamelan it is estimated he Beat a Persin force of anything up to One Million men. I know this may be an exagerasion and Is. But I have no doubht he beat a force far greater than his own.
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 06:44
Originally posted by fastspawn

Hannibal himself rates,

Alexander
Scipio
then himself

He said if he had finished Zama victorious he would place himself above Scipio. That shows that Hannibal himself proud man as he was, would no matter, what he did, rate himself below Alexander.

TO those who repeatedly state mongol, or genghis kahn. Well 1200 is not ancient is it?

Can you just rephrase that fastpawn? It's a bit hard to comprehend Smile
Also, I didn't think that conversation between Scipio and Hannibal was very credible Wacko

PS. I voted for Hannibal mainly due to the fact that he gathered an army primarily composed of Mercenaries (Iberians, Libyans, Gauls, Ligurians.etc.), marched over the Alps - in Winter, WITH ELEPHANTS - then managed to defeat the Romans in 3 key engagements in the following years (Trebia, Trasimene and Cannae). His tactical and strategic genius basically scared the heck out of Rome, all while Hannibal freely pillaged southern Italy. Hannibal was an amazingly adept general and this is evident from his success.

Other great generals also featured on this list are Scipio and Caesar, both expressing brilliant tactical skill and strategic/political genius respectively.
I really admire Cyrus as a leader for a number of reasons like the religious tolerance he showed and the respect he gained from many other peoples and leaders at that time.

Cool
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 19:26
cyrus and dariush the great were the best i think. they both kept a powerful empire up, conquered empires, and were good to the people. Alexander, i dont like. and thats not just because i'm iranian. Alexander was a bratty boy that was impatient to become the king of macedonia. he was selfish, wanting to combine persian and greek culture, which nobody wanted, and there is a theory that he even killed his father for power. i say he's a little brat.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 12:38
Shalmanesar? Essarhaddon? Some more Assyrians perhaps?
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:51
Ok there are a couple of things here, that need to be clarified:

1. This topic is about military ability, not personal character or morals, or for that manner ability in any other field- these are all irrelevant (for this topic).

2. I't doesn't matter how much Influence they had (except perhaps in military matters) or if they spread culture or not.

3. I strongly agree with Knights post In several respects: firstly that Hannibal was the greatest general of the ancient worldThumbs Up. Secondly that the source about Hannibal's conversation with Scipio isn't very credible (in this area), but would like to add that the source says when Hannibal was asked by Scipio who the greatest generals in History was He said that Alexander was the best, then Pyrrhus and then himself. Scipio (probably a bit annoyed) asked him how he would rank himself (Hannibal) if he had defeated him at Zama. To which Hannibal replied that he would not ONLY place himself above those generals but above all other's as well. There's a double meaning hereWink.

Edited by Praetor - 08-Nov-2006 at 07:12
Christos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Christos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 12:13

I voted  Alexander because of the results, conquered more land than anyone else. (we say military leader so we dont have to think about stability and organization, and for a military leader who conquers then alexander is the best)

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:35
My vote goes to Alexander.

Join us.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 01:53
Lets not forget that Philip ll The Great created the "launching pad" for his great son.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 09:36
Cyrus the Great.
Shiroyeh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Shiroyeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 10:26
Cyrus the Great... forged an empire in just six years... that is impressive.
' How shall a man escape from that which is written; How shall he flee from his destiny? ' Ferdowsi
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 12:26
Cyrus.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 01:53
The Roman Emperor Trajan should also be on that list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>