Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

France wins the Napoleonic Wars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: France wins the Napoleonic Wars
    Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 07:43

In an alternative Battle of Waterloo Napoleon defeats the British and French. Wellington and Blucher are killed and the people rally to Napoleon.
How long would a restored republic last? How would France's neighbors react? Who would succeed Napoleon? And what effect would Napoleon's victory have on history?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 07:54
Where did Napoleon came from?He was born as native Frenchman or immigrant? 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 08:08
Corsica: an island now part of France but previously part of Italy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 10:30
Sacre bleu! I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this topic
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 07:45
Your assuming the people would rally to him, and I always heard you British were too proud to be ruled by anyone but your queen.

Then you have the Germans who aren't exactly the kind to give in to anyone either.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2011 at 19:21
Even in 1815, the French loved Napoleon (except for a few peasants living in the sticks). He was the man who saved France many times from foreign invasion, built an empire, and enabled the poor to advance in society. Contrast his achievements to those of the fat, inbred and mad Capets
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2012 at 13:28
I think its imposssible to know for sure what would've happened but I think we can agree that if he had beat Wellington the arrival of the Prussians shortly after would have laft Napoleon with a devestaded army even assuming that he won both battles. As to how long a republic would've lasted after the war it depends on the choice of Napoleon to coninue to go to war as well as if the previously conquered countries decided to rise up. Because if a full rebellon started and it was backed by a British-Central European alliance I think it would be highly unlikely that Napoleon would've been able to survive the joint assault even with his incredible skills as a general.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 03:42
Wellington didn't have the main British army that was still being mustered. The Spanish were raising forces and two huge Austrian and Russian armies were marching on Napoleon as Waterloo happened. It's widely accepted that winning Waterloo wouldn't have done Napoleon much good. He a new small poorly trained army and half a million soldiers (not including Wellington and Bluchers armies) descending upon his fast.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 20:58
Would the British and Germans have the stomach for another long war following the defeat inflicted on Hooky and Blucher's armies? It wouldn't do their morale much good
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 23:14
The war would have to be won before his first surrender.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 19:31
Boney would have many more reinforcements as many previously-neutral Frenchmen would rally to him following his success against the hated foreign invader. Even the Germans might turn against the alliance, providing troops to avoid Boney's wrath and stop the Prussians becoming too powerful
Drachenfire View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drachenfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 03:42
I doubt that the long term effects of a Napoleon victory would have veered too far from established history, to be honest. Except that perhaps the Bonepartist regimes he established in those nations he conquered would have rooted for far longer then they did. 

England's strategy has always been to foil any one power on the continent from gaining power over the whole of Europe, a strategy they excel at. England successfully followed a policy of continental containment of Napoleon and his allies, and strangled trade between the home countries allied with Napoleon (either by occupation or choice [witness Denmark, which sided with Napoleon once the English attacked neutral Danish shipping and blockaded Danish trade for their neutrality]) and their various colonies. England built coalitions and engaged France and French 'allies' when necessary. They would have been able to maintain this strategy for another generation or so, just by using their navy and judicious deployment of their armies where effective. English trade with the greater world would have been largely unimpeded, while they denied colonial dividends from France and allies. If anything, the French revolution hastened the end of French colonial expansion, particularly in North America, depriving French business from a naturally sympathetic colonial market. The sale of Louisiana by Napoleon was to give France funds to continue their war effort as they witnessed the futility of an American front while occupying so many hostile countries in continental Europe.  

Eventually, England had to acknowledge a Bonapartist influence in post revolutionary Europe (witness the Second Empire in France in the 1870s!), but the status que of a divided Europe would have resurfaced, as Bonapartist regimes would eventually follow policies beneficial to their own nations. 

In my opinion, the -real- question is what may have happened had the French revolution rendered the French monarchy as a constitutional monarchy, by-passing the violence of Maximillian de Robespierre and, essentially, Napoleon Bonepart himself. All of the treasure lost as the result of the revolutionary wars instead invested into French colonial enterprises. France may have maintained her world wide empire, Louisiana may have given the edge to France in North America, containing the United States to west of the Mississippi. That would be a curious world indeed.  Maybe India would have become a Jewel in the French Crown? French Australia? French Hong Kong? A French puppet monarchy in Egypt? A Dutch South Africa? 

Edited by Drachenfire - 07-Dec-2012 at 04:16
Drachenfire View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drachenfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 03:48
Another consideration. Even if the French revolution was less violent (a French constitutional monarchy, for instance) France would have had a period of insularism as the constitutional regime addressed social inequity, but by-passing the extreme violence and Nepoleonic Wars, France would have been stronger. Instead of a March on Moscow, the French may have given greater aide to the Jacobite cause, and England may have experienced a more volatile 19th century as Jacobites and Hanoverians fought for control.

Edited by Drachenfire - 07-Dec-2012 at 04:47
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 08:19
I don't think a Jacobite revolution would make much difference. Bonnie Prince Charlie was dead by this time, and his gay brother had no children
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 13:19
Jacobinism was long dead by the Napoleonic wars. The Irish had abandoned it with Seamus an Chaca, it lasted a bit longer in Scotland but was almost a purely highland thing and the lowlanders had been well capable of handling a few irate clansmen on their own.

Edited by Toltec - 07-Dec-2012 at 13:20
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2013 at 00:26
Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Reverse that and you have the perfect situation to defeat Britain.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2014 at 22:37
It was even once a Kingdom!, when Corsica was connected (allied with) to the mainland!

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jan-2014 at 22:41
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
nickherc View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nickherc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2014 at 05:38
Originally posted by Nick1986

Even in 1815, the French loved Napoleon (except for a few peasants living in the sticks). He was the man who saved France many times from foreign invasion, built an empire, and enabled the poor to advance in society. Contrast his achievements to those of the fat, inbred and mad Capets

Yeah, the people and soldiers loved him. Not really why, but they did. If France would won the wars, it wouldn't matter, it would all fell apart right after his death.

But it would be nice to see the idea of republic get it's momento in Europe in the early 1800s. 
 Post Reply Post Reply