Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Archaeology news updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 76777879>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archaeology news updates
    Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 12:39
Centrix wrote-

because your right the generalist 'archy'.... avoids religious and theological investigations like the Juarez clap

I may be right, but you say it better.  Big smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 17:01
Look forward to it....and in the case above I smell an 'anthro' on that team.... because your right the generalist 'archy'.... avoids religious and theological investigations like the Juarez clap. Unless they have been specifically sub trained (and then funded by religious institutions) and generally that's the lads from the Private religious schools..with that in their background.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 16:52

Nice stuff CV.  It's not common to see an arch. take on something like the religious practices.  I have a special interest that hopefully, I'll be able to share soon.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 14:20

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 12:06

Explorer David Thompson's first trading post discovered in Manitoba

Excellent. Thompson was an early hero of mine and it's delightful that the man's accomplishments have restirred interest.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 14:28
An update on work being done at Llwydiarth Esgob Farm.

Enjoy it.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 14:26
Archaeologists unearth 150 Roman graves in Canterbury

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2011 at 09:21

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2011 at 07:43
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Originally posted by Cryptic

As a side note, the British Law regarding found antiquities is well thought out and encourages people not to hide or conceal their finds (finds are usually the property of the finder, they must report it to the Crown can offer fair market value for exceptional cultural items).

Varys from my experience in the US. private property is one thing but if it is of unusual or extremely signficant social or theological-spiritual value ie. bones etc of human remains (generally Native American) it's usually controlled by state and or federal law.

Which i endorse as I detest antiquities thieves as much as forum spammers.Big smile

Thanks for your coments.

The operative phrase is "culturally significant".  Apparently, Manchester is one of those places where you can't put a shovel in the ground without finding something.  Coins, oil lamps etc. small artifacts.  The Gov. only gets twisted over things like the Staffordshire Hoard. 

In the US it varies from state to state.  Unfortunately, it all comes down to enforcement, and the money available to investigate and prosecute.
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2011 at 16:56
alright...great stuff forthcomming here.Smile

Ruins of Jbeil's Phoenician port to be uncovered

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=1&article_id=126342#ixzz1HSTkRAWK
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2011 at 16:18

Wart Detected on Egyptian Queen Beauty

Damn look at that red hair wart or not.Big smile

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 14:25
Underwater archaeology...that's dangerous stuff but can be absolutely remarkable in their finds.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 14:18
Originally posted by Cryptic

As a side note, the British Law regarding found antiquities is well thought out and encourages people not to hide or conceal their finds (finds are usually the property of the finder, they must report it to the Crown can offer fair market value for exceptional cultural items).

Varys from my experience in the US. private property is one thing but if it is of unusual or extremely signficant social or theological-spiritual value ie. bones etc of human remains (generally Native American) it's usually controlled by state and or federal law.

Which i endorse as I detest antiquities thieves as much as forum spammers.Big smile

Thanks for your coments.

S. T. Friedman

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 10:43
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 10:26
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Glad you liked the post.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I continue to be amazed at Roman finds 1500-2000 years old still being found almost with rediculous regularity in Britain. Somethings up! End of Days?Tongue

Rare Roman altar stones uncovered in Musselburgh

I have several friends who are landscape gardeners in the UK.  2 of them work out of Manchester, which means "Main Camp".  They have an extensive collection of Roman coins and other small artifacts that they have collected over the years, just from cultivating and maintaining peoples flower beds.  2 years ago they had it appraised at over a 100,000 lbs.

And I spend hours scrounging for an arrowhead.  ConfusedWink

Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2011 at 13:24
And another site in Gloucestershire.....man I knew I should a been an archaeologist....lol.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 17:23
Yes I often find that problen in dealing with archaeological news comming from the PRC. It's either then and there or it isn't.

CV

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 17:16
I hate pictures in low resolution and unclear.There are not reasons for news than!We have to trust someone about something we can not see!This is not your fault of course.But post about gluon is good.Most of artifact's pictures on Net are "invisible".With P.S.:"Trust me there is picture/script of this/that?"Are we stupid to see that?Underestimated for sure we are!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 17:06
Glad you liked the post.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I continue to be amazed at Roman finds 1500-2000 years old still being found almost with rediculous regularity in Britain. Somethings up! End of Days?Tongue

Rare Roman altar stones uncovered in Musselburgh

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 19-Mar-2011 at 17:06

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 04:23
We separated from The Branch in same time with Gorilla and Symphalangus?Was this clever enough?
Old World Monkeys,Great Apes,Gibbons and Human.I can explain myself now,why do world is like this! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 76777879>