Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LUNAR PHASES IN THE ALPHABET

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
finicky View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote finicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LUNAR PHASES IN THE ALPHABET
    Posted: 15-Feb-2011 at 22:30
The Alphabet is widely held to have been 'invented' once [cf, Diringer, THE ALPHABET: A KEY TO THE HISTORY OF MANKIND (1968: third edition) volume 1, p145]. Theories of its origin, however, remain varied and debatable.

In 1995 I discovered that several letters of the Alphabet correspond in their positions within the alphabetic sequence, to focal phases of the moon in the lunar sequence.

The lunar cycle begins with two nights of darkness, when no lunar phase is visible in the sky.

The first letter of the alphabet 'A' (ALPHA, ALEPH) when laid on its side as in the earliest alphabetic inscriptions, incorporates a vertex or sighting scope, with a cross-stroke through it -- arguably signifying 'nothing visible'.

The second letter 'B' (BETA, BETH) resembles a doubled vertex with a cross-stroke through it -- signifying 'nothing visible' on the second night.

The third letter 'C' (GAMMA, GIMEL) depicts the crescent moon -- which appears on the third night of the lunar sequence.

The waxing half-moon which occurs on the ninth night of the lunar cycle is figured in the eighth letter of the early alphabet, 'Θ' THETA (TETH in the Hebrew alphabet) -- constructed as a circle bisected, like the half-moon, by its diameter.

The first full moon occurs on the 15th night of the lunar sequence. The 15th letter is 'O' (OMICRON, AYIN).

Few people realize that two nights of full moon are evident in every lunar cycle. The 16th letter, 'Π' PI (PE in the Hebrew alphabet), outlines the square constructed on the idealized diameter of the full moon -- a 'squared' circle to distinguish it from the character used to symbolize the first full moon ('O'). The square was appropriate for the 16th night of the lunar cycle because the number 16 embodies a perfect square whose area equals its perimeter [4 x 4 = 4 + 4 + 4 + 4]. Which is why 'pi' continues to signify 'the relation of diameter to circumference' in mathematics.

Night 17 ushers in the first waning phase of the cycle, an ominous harbinger of decay for the ancient observer. Letter 17, our 'Q' (ancient QOPH or KAPH), depicts a full moon trailing a telltale descender -- figuring downfall.

And letter 22, 'X' CHI, presents an image of crossed diameters, reflecting the waning half-moon on night 23 (the 45-degree waxing oblique 'cancelled' by the 315-degree waning oblique).

The alphabet, in other words, appears to have been conceived as a mnemonic of lunar cycle.

These focal lunar letters display three key points of convergence:
FORMAL the letters appear to be drawn from their corresponding lunar phases;
ORDINAL both fall in the same places in their relative sequences; and
SPECTRAL they involve the only phases in the lunation identifiable on sight.

Those interested in further details will find nine free abstracts and a video seminar at Internet Archive [http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=drumbolis&sort=-downloads].

This previously unrecognized (or at least unrecorded) insight has further been explored in greater detail in five volumes [currently out of print]:

GOD'S WAND: THE ORIGIN OF THE ALPHABET (2001)

SHROUDED IN SCRIPTURE (2004)

GOD'S SHADOW: A CHRONOLOGICAL SUPPLEMENT OF SAMPLE FIGURES ILLUSTRATING A CONTINUOUS TRADITION OF COVERT LUNAR NOTATION (2004)

MYTH AS MATH: CALENDRICAL SIGNIFICANCE IN THE MOSAIC CENSUS OF THE SONS OF ISRAEL (2007)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR RESTORING THE ANCIENT WISDOM: A PRIMER OF THE PYTHAGOREAN PRACTICUM (2009) a seminar guide among the above-mentioned freely accessible on-line abstracts [http://ia700109.us.archive.org/21/items/InstructionsForRestoringTheAncientWisdom/primer.pdf].

Responses to an earlier version of this precis at Naked Scientists [http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5316438854cf91220a1ff907f66ebf5&topic=34818.0] and at Omniglot [http://www.omniglot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=558] may also be of interest. I welcome queries which haven't already been addressed in the above exchanges.

Nick Drumbolis
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 03:27
nice story.Here you are:
http://www.egyptianmyths.net/udjat.htm
 Celestial bodies movement were very precise measured those days. I believe that they knew about earth's
real form,but geocentric system was not changed,because of  religious reasons.

finicky View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote finicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 09:47
Medenaywe, the conventional explanation of the Wadjet ignores the crucial distinction on which the myth arose: the missing 64th.

The six pieces of the eye of Horus conveniently equate with the six lunar phases from waxing crescent on day 3 of the lunation (represented by Horus) to waxing half-moon on day 9 (represented by Thoth). The six phases added to the crescent advance the lunation to the phase of waxing half-moon (or, in other words, the half-moon is the sum of the preceding six phases compounded to produce its form). Six phases which complete the concave arc (with Thoth acting as terminus to both the concave and convex arcs of the waxing half of the lunation).

The focal gods of Egypt were, as I have shown in my books, manifestations of the focal lunar phases: [3] Horus (waxing crescent); [4] Thoth (waxing half-moon); [5] Amon (first full moon); [6] Ra (second full moon); [7] Set (first waning phase); [8] Ptah (waning half-moon); [9] Osiris (waning crescent); [1] Isis (first dark night); [2] Nephthys (second dark night). These nine phases (origin of the concept of the Ennead or Paut) are the only ones identifiable on sight. All other lunar phases remain indistinguishable.

The six pieces of the eye add up to 63/64, or in other words, 1/64 short of a fully restored eye. This negates the interpretation that Thoth reassembled the accumulated parts into the full moon, because the full moon is complete (not missing even a 64th). In the myth, Thoth was obliged to add a 64th to make up the difference.

I've discovered something, however, which accounts for the missing portion. The reassembled pieces of the eye of Horus remarkably surrender the length of the mean lunation, to within a minute, when multiplied by the Egyptian calendar month of 30 days  [63/64 x 30 = 29.53125]. The mean lunation, as calculated today, is 29.530588 days; the difference between the Egyptian and modern computations, amounting to 57.1968 seconds!

When the missing 64th is added to the actual length of the lunation, the Egyptian calendar month is realized; an artificial measure incorporating a fraction not resident in the sky (because the natural cycle of the lunation is completed after 29.530588 days). Thus it was equated with the underworld (domain of Hecate) and became known as the Hekat fraction.

As you point out, the ancient Egyptians had apparently computed extremely precise measures of lunar mechanics indeed.

The other eye, it bears adding, is not the sun (as the myth is conventionally interpreted), but the second full moon (represented by Ra). Ra, it is my contention, has been continuously mistaken for the sun since the classical Greek age; the supreme 'deity' in a lunar construct, embodying second full moon, apogee of the lunation, or brightest one (ie, the brightest phase, not the brightest thing in the sky, as it has long been interpreted).

The full text of my abstract concerning this myth is freely accessible at:

http://www.archive.org/stream/TheLunarContextOfTheHekatFractions/Abstract5#page/n0/mode/2up
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 14:36
This is both valuable story for me also proof for some other story.I believe that Snake cobra was Earth symbol for Sun good.Also need your help about this:Were mentioned anywhere inside scripts:Isis as Godess
of Flame or Fire and Osiris as God of First Light(sunrise i suppose?).Mathematics and arguments above are extreme high.Enjoy reading it.

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Feb-2011 at 17:46
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 17:40
Since there is such mention of crescents, I might well point out that one of the so called "early Christian" symbols is or was reportedly the figure or representation of a "fish" which reportedly fits the Greek word, etc.!

But, this figure, commonly found within Rome in the catacombs, etc., is nothing but two crescent strokes crossing one another!

The typical Egyptian "eye" is also but a result of the crossing to two crescents!

Is there any connection?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 18:40
In middle text I found young moon and full moon like religious parts of the story.You know  that  i suppose  that  all coronation  was  improvised,maybe never  had happened  except on stone.Even if sarcophagus could been excavated out of tomb anytime for coronation ceremonials!?!His mother hurried so much for throne that  snake cobra was forgotten on golden sarcophagus!!!!Spicy talks were always used like propaganda also then.Ministers that had killed her just used missing head of snake cobra:Look at the Pharaoh's wife, looking for power have forgotten descent funeral to her  dead husband!
   And Eye also I found inside!Description is literary "The Eye First".
 All the time priests and people are looking signs on moon and Sun!?!They were looking for proof that Pharaoh,exactly his soul was reached the Sun and Sun will rise again.Also at night He appears on moon and time can be also measured!?!

finicky View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote finicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 23:01
Medenaywe, the serpent (which slithers along the ground making its lair in hollows) represents the portion of the lunation consumed by the earth (ie, the two dark nights with no moon in the sky).

It was long believed that the goddess (or moon on high) had been abducted by the underworld serpent during the dark interval between waning and waxing crescent, impregnated, and ultimately consumed following the birth of the new lunation (cf, Gilgamesh). Later cultures held that the lunar phases on high must be male (rising and falling) and that the goddess in contrast presided over the realm of the underworld, never showing her face (the earth-mother goddess giving birth to both the new lunation, and each successive phase, from her dark catacomb).

The ancient Egyptians maintained that Osiris (waning crescent, a penis) descended into her realm to mate with Isis, begetting their son Horus (waxing crescent of the new lunation, a sword brandished to avenge the death of his father). Set, first waning spectre and nemesis of Horus, had caused the death of Osiris by initiating the waning arc of the lunation, which concludes with the demise of waning crescent.

Palaeolithic glyphs accommodate the figment of a serpent consuming the fruit of the goddess (ie, full moon) during the waning arc -- nibbling at her progeny for 14 nights until nothing remained [cf, p39:  http://ia700109.us.archive.org/21/items/InstructionsForRestoringTheAncientWisdom/primer.pdf].

Opuslola, the eyes of Horus and Ra figure full moons presiding over their respective arcs of lunation. Horus as waxing crescent embodying the first visible phase of the waxing arc (which culminates with first full moon); and Ra as second full moon, the first phase of the waning half.

First waxing spectre figuratively complementing first waning phase, with opposing eyes of Horus and Ra surveying their respective arcs of lunation from the pinnacle of the cycle: that of Horus oriented as 'rising to its brightest light' (first full moon) and that of Ra 'descending from its brightest point' (second full moon).

See the 12th Dynasty pectoral reproduced on p32 of my Primer, for clarification [http://ia700109.us.archive.org/21/items/InstructionsForRestoringTheAncientWisdom/primer.pdf].

The 'eye' composed of crossed crescents accords with the dark interval during which the spark (or 'soul') of the interred lunation must survive the waters of the underworld to emerge at the far shore with renewed visibility. A dark interval bounded by opposing crescents (first and last lunar phases), portending submergence (in the piscene depths). The stylized figure of a fish, in this light, effectively symbolizing Resurrection.

Edited by finicky - 16-Feb-2011 at 23:04
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 14:50
Additional question for You:Was Amon,secret cow,sacrificed during ceremonials?!?He is victim for them and
I need real meaning about His(its) sacrifice?Helping the humans was most valuable victim but nutrition part could not be avoided also by us!?!Amon Re sacrificed himself,was main message of that ritual i believe,wasn't it?

Edited by medenaywe - 23-Feb-2011 at 04:22
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 19:36
In Jewish literature, I believe it would be the "perfect Red-heifer", or "lamb", etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Heifer

One must remember that I and others refer to the "temple of Jerusalem" as mostly an "abbitoir!" Preservative salt was just right around the corner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse

I am impressed by the ideas and suggestions presented above! And, I am somewhat "finiky" about what I am impressed by or not!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 17-Feb-2011 at 19:43
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 03:54
Big smileCryBig smilePrimer and all inside will be compared with all religious happenings and signs that were analyzed by me.Thank You very much Respected Finicky again!
Big smileCryBig smile

Edited by medenaywe - 22-Feb-2011 at 11:20
finicky View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote finicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 10:30
The Egyptian calendar of twelve 30-day months (plus five intercalary days dedicated variously to the children of Nut) depended on adjustments every 25, 56, 70, 350 and 500 years.

The sacred bulls of Egypt represented extended calendar cycles known as Great Years: Apis (25-year); Mnevis (56-year); and Bakh (70-year). While Mendes the sacred ram stood for the 350-year cycle and the Phoenix embodied the 500-year measure  [see pp26/7 and 48/9: http://ia700109.us.archive.org/21/items/InstructionsForRestoringTheAncientWisdom/primer.pdf].

The sacred bull of Apis ('the hidden one', because Great Year measures were not observable on high, but rather evident through computation) -- bearing a white crescent on one side of its body or white triangle on its forehead -- was dutifully groomed by the priests for 25 years, then ceremonially drowned.

Herodotus [II:73] relates that the Phoenix returned to Heliopolis one day every 500 years from distant Arabia; according with the accumulation of a day lost in twenty 25-year cycles, which had to be restored every 500 years to bring the calendar measures back into convergence with the actual solar and lunar cycles [see p49: http://ia700109.us.archive.org/21/items/InstructionsForRestoringTheAncientWisdom/primer.pdf].

The sacred iconography of Egypt, incredibly, has been grossly misinterpreted. The gods represent phases of the lunation (not the sun), while sacred fauna mark extended calendrical measures.

Raptor and serpent govern halves of the lunation. The hedjet or white crown of Upper Egypt (bearing the emblem of the vulture) figures the waxing arc of the lunation (white for the moon and winged for rising) worn appropriately in the high country of the south (naturally equated with rising), with Thebes as capital. While the deshret or red crown of Lower Egypt (sporting the emblem of the cobra) figures the waning arc (red for the blood of the moon as the serpent takes its nightly fill) inclined to the low country of the Delta in the north (naturally falling), with Memphis as capital.  [cf, Quetzal (raptor) + coatl (serpent) = lunation]

Narmer in this sense merely unites halves of the lunation (not the opposing kingdoms of south and north): Nar (first full moon) + Mer (second full moon); the twin full moons attaining the highest seat in the cycle (two on the same throne, compounded as one), where both arcs meet. Which explains the different crowns worn by the supreme one on opposite sides of the Narmer Palette. The depiction has nothing to do with the conquest of chthonic denizens, but rather preserves a sacred account of waxing (obverse) and waning (reverse) measures.

Sacrificial offerings prove to represent calendrical lacunae surrendered by artificial measures, to the fidelity of the natural cycles. The Egyptians observed a number of these artificial measures to track the cycles (the 'Bondage of Egypt' signifying the 'heresy' of extended computation which relied unduly on human measures at the expense of the divine cycles); while the Greeks and Hebrews employed the first lunisolar calendar, with both measures incorporated into a single cycle (the Anointed Measure of the 8-year Great Year, which required the intercalation of a single day every 8 years, a far more faithful observance of the divine or natural cycles).

The Bible and the myths detail the interminable conflicts between these adversarial measures.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 17:51
Originally posted by opuslola

In Jewish literature, I believe it would be the "perfect Red-heifer", or "lamb", etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Heifer

One must remember that I and others refer to the "temple of Jerusalem" as mostly an "abbitoir!" Preservative salt was just right around the corner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse

I am impressed by the ideas and suggestions presented above! And, I am somewhat "finiky" about what I am impressed by or not!

Regards,

One remember that and will show you name of place where the temple was:
   XX-SiNaJ-XXXXX=free translated,on which one,to mightiest all(are)
   That night when i translated meaning of the name,for first time last raw of demotic,founded that Judges are my half brothers and sisters!?!But also felt bitterness  and  rage  knowing  that  Last extermination of humans in the name of New Rome was done by there other half of blood during the second World War!?!What did their goals were?Extermination of genetic memories about what they were once?
   Babylonian temples just like Dalai Lama were/are all around living habitat those times!
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=dalai+lama+temples&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=&oq=&oi=image_result_group&sa=X

Your refer of temple of Jerusalem(original was here!?!) receive top position after my words above!?!But replicas had existed around ancient world probably!?!

Edited by medenaywe - 18-Feb-2011 at 19:22
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 20:44
Whilst I can accept the personage we know of today as Jesus, might well have sojourned within Tibet for some years, is an open question! As is the very existence of both Jesus and Muhammad, and all of those supposedly close to them by relation!

I just cannot accept that Tibet was the home of the "High Places!"

Of course all of Tibet is full of "High Places!"    But, just let me see you are anyone else grow an Oak Tree or what ever tree is mentioned in the Bible, there! Groves of trees just do not really exist in the "High Places" found in Tibet!

Just my opinon, and not part of a screen play!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 04:34
Agree.Great temple is more than obvious candidate for "Gate of God".Comparative literature is my favorite therefore choices are disputed only as part of predictable human behavior and help us for screenplay development.What if Alexander's tomb did existed beneath this one?!?
    Respected Finicky:Reading all above  I  founded  that  there were  no  daylight  worshiping  objects  by
 Egyptians.Will stress here that snake cobra (glare at night/day)represented Light(Sun),over and beneath the earth as just you have mentioned inside your Primer!Pharaoh was described above in small part from stone script.Coronation of new one happened simultaneous on day 18th of march 196 B.C. in Alexandria,beneath the stone Light tower.This day had been old Egyptian New Year!?!Wadjet here(demotic) is  WeDj'To.Reanimated one!Word that is still in usage all around the word for eyebrow!Sorry about obscure choice of words but will find someone that have experiences about religious funeral texts.Instructions:For stress sign just push air trough your nose!
  Opuslola for your eyes only,reedited?

Edited by medenaywe - 26-Feb-2011 at 12:22
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 16:10
Chuckle! Medenaywe! I sure wish your command of English, and punctuation was better, because then I might well understand most all of what you write?

I am sorry, but your last post, reads more like a "machine" translation, of one language to English! That is, it is very hard to read any "machine" translation of German to English, much less, let us say of, Finnish, or Russian, or Arabic, etc.!

Regards,
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 17:41
I insist on original form of text above taking care about basic rule of cryptography!

Edited by medenaywe - 22-Feb-2011 at 11:22
 Post Reply Post Reply