Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Peloponnesian Wars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Peloponnesian Wars
    Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 11:42
Hello!  My name is Mike, and I'm the representative for a project you may or may not be familiar with...

The Peloponnesian Wars!
The project in question is a total-conversion modification (mod) for EA Games' Lord of the Rings:  Battle for Middle-Earth 2.  We're completely renovating the game, taking it from its original setting of Middle-Earth and placing it in 5th Century BCE Greece!  There are going to be two main factions; Athens and Sparta.  The mod will be multiplayer-based (lacking a campaign), and as historically-accurate as we can get it.  You can view our Moddb profile here, which has many ingame screenshots and renders of our new content.  Additionally, you can discuss the mod and view news updates here, where we are hosted by the3rdage.net, a division of Revora.net.

There is no current deadline for this project's release, but once it is up for public download we're hoping to have further releases be frequent.  Now I'll leave with you some images of the work our team has put out over the past few months.

Hopefully you've been as impressed with the quality of our work as I am, and we'll see you soon either here or where I linked above!  Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away, here or there.

Edited by M!ke - 25-Jan-2011 at 11:46
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 15:09
Mike, while I am way too old to play such involved games, I have also found out that some of ya'll (gamers) do provide better information concernings the times presented, than do a lot of historians! Or, if you wish, "Pseudo-historians!"

Hope your enterprise gains good support?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 15:21
Thanks for the response!  Historical accuracy is a huge thing for us, though we are taking liberties on occasion (such as the Spartan Hoplites wearing cloaks into combat).

I hope so as well, we're doing well so far.  I'm just seeking to expand the fan-base wherever possible :)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 16:07
Originally posted by M!ke

Thanks for the response!  Historical accuracy is a huge thing for us, though we are taking liberties on occasion (such as the Spartan Hoplites wearing cloaks into combat).
I hope so as well, we're doing well so far.  I'm just seeking to expand the fan-base wherever possible :)

Sound interesting and I will come back and examine this some more. Accuracy is very important to me and it sickens me how much they alter so-called historic fiction. I understand the need to feel in the cracks with fiction but they go beyond stupidity. I would like to learn more about this. I will be reviewing the Peloponnesian war soon for a class I am teaching on ancient Greek history.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 23:50
Thank you!  Before you examine what we've done so far, it's important to understand that while we're naming our project The Peloponnesian Wars, we're really covering the entirety of the 5th Century BCE while using that period for the bulk of our content.  Therefore, figures and events from earlier and later periods (such as Leonidas and the earlier Greco-Persian Wars, and Xenophon and the later March of the Ten Thousand) will be referenced and included.

We're definitely trying to keep everything as true to fact as possible, though, and so far we're succeeding quite nicely.  Thanks all for the responses!
 Post Reply Post Reply