Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hidden Chateaux du France - 56k No No

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hidden Chateaux du France - 56k No No
    Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:41
Hello, I have lived in france now for 6 years, and begin to take an interest in the history that was around me, some i can find records for, others seem to have just disappeared and here i will show you my findings along with history to give you a better insight of the world around me...

56k beware this will be a picture heavy thread *just so you know* and yes i took all the pictures in my post...

i'll start with some pictures of a classy one before some ruins..

Chateau de La Rochefoucauld

en - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rochefoucauld,_Charente
fr - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chateau_de_La_Rochefoucauld

Edited by VWPowered - 04-Jan-2011 at 18:32
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:43

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:45

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:48

enjoy :)
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:56
Chateau des Cars - Haute-Vienne

en - The beautiful old Chateau des Cars, located at the center of the town. The first chateau was built in XIIIth century.  At the end of the XIth century, Ramnulphe de Lastours, gives to the Abbey Saint-Martial of Limoges, villa de Quadris, “village des Cars”, located in the wooded part of the vast parish of Flavignac. The village appears already equipped with a Holy-Marie-Madeleine vault.

The abbey quickly founds there a priory formally attested as of the first years of XIIth century.  About 1280, the pledged family of Flavignac in Lastours dies out. It is undoubtedly what supports the appearance and the development of the seigniory of Les Cars.  This new stronghold, initially within the hands of the family of Barry, then of the family of Pérusse as of the medium of XIVth century, appears to have formed with the beginning mainly of territories of the old parish of Flavignac (current communes of Flavignac and Les Cars). Gradually, the new lords go émanciper of Lastours (they will end themselves even up repurchasing the seigniory of Lastours (common of Rilhac-Lastours). Quickly, also, Pérusse, will take the name of Pérusse des Cars, sometimes written Pérusse d' Escars, starting from the Renaissance.

The castle, which is probably at the simple beginning only one house-strong, to a few hundred meters of the priory of Saint-Martial, will be gradually rebuilt to become a true residence. Geoffroy de Pérusse of Les Cars (died in 1534), adviser-chamberlain of king de Navarre seems considerably to have improved and have enriched the monument at the time of the First Renaissance. The site was then strengthened/fortified, at the time of the wars of religion. 1798: destruction and plundering of the castle.  It belonged to the family De Barri, which was combined in the Pérusse. Defence work, it was coveted during the One hundred Year old war. It fell in 1373 with the hands of the English who established a garrison there.

The Duguesclin constable drove out some. The family of Pérusse des Cars was one of more famous of the kingdom. One counts among its members the Marshals of France, the secretaries of State, of the bishops. Charles IX set up their field in county.

The second castle was built at the end of XVth and at the beginning of XVIth century. A description from 1793 the known as one composed of five large houses and surrounded a terrace on which four opened carriage entrances. It was improved in 1778 and was equipped with immense gardens known as the most beautiful in all the province. It was destroyed with the Revolution. They do not remain today, all that does remain are two big towers partly demolished, of the cellars some sides of walls and the partly filled ditches. Two other small towers which flanked the entry were updated by the recent excavations. In the town, outside of the site, one can notice two constructions with decorated attic window pinnacles (of XVIth), stables and infirmary, which belonged to the chateau. These buildings are registered with the Inventory historic buildings (I.S.M.H.) since December 21, 1982.

fr - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chateau_des_Cars

Edited by VWPowered - 04-Jan-2011 at 18:33
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 18:58

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2011 at 19:00

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 17:33
VW..., merci beaucoup for the great photos!

Indeed in your own words you wrote; "It was destroyed with the Revolution.", and those words describe more than most people will ever understand!

Actually we don't really know the real cost in historical buildings, works of art, manuscripts, etc., etc., that were destroyed in the frenzy of this revolution!

But, do we really know the truth about this wide ranging path of distruction? Was it done in a "frenzy" of hate towards the nobility, etc.?

Could much of it have been deliberate?

Were their actually groups of designated revolutionaries (possibly even clerics, or members of certain religious orders, that made a real attempt to deliberately destroy as much as possible, in an attempt to hide certain things?

Was there a plan to destroy certain things, or seize them for other reasons?

Alas, the above is mostly my theory, and there is little reason to consider it!

Regarde' vous!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 18:17
hi, yes alot of ruins here, afew i will share still many that i have yet to discover, cathar country is a prime example...

Chateau de La Tourette-Cabardes

situated in the Aude Department in cathar country, sady no history but i suspect by the building tradition used maybe 11th to 13th century...

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 18:20

beautiful house built into the mountain

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 18:24
La Chapelle-Faucher - Dordogne

La Chapelle Faucher has an extraordinary history. In the 14th century the entire town was burnt to the ground during the Hundred Years' War. The village was gradually rebuilt, but religion's powerful hand frequented the village. On 2 July 1569, Protestants led by Gaspard de Coligny, rounded up 260 Cathar peasants (men, women and children), put into the chateau and brutally killed one by one during the wars of religion. The local priest pleaded that they be saved but to no avail. According to the local chronicler of these wars at the time, Pierre de Bourdeille, seigneur (and abbé) de Brantôme, the killings began at 9am and finished around 2pm. Some residents say you can hear the voices of distressed peasants in the darkness of the night...

en - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Chapelle-Faucher
fr - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Chapelle-Faucher

l'église Notre-Dame de l'Assomption

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 18:30
Chateau Lavauguyon - Haute-Vienne

The XIIth century Lavauguyon Château belonged to the Malessac family natives of Poitou. Ransacked by the mercenaries of Richard the Lionheart, it was rebuilt in XIVth century.

The broad, deep moat which surrounds the castle could be emptied and filled at will.

Lavauguyon Château marks the border of Poitou and Limousin, giving it an important military role. It was devastated and ransacked in the revolution of 1793.

fr - http://lamotte.pagesperso-orange.fr/ecuras/no10cha.htm

Edited by VWPowered - 04-Jan-2011 at 18:31
VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2011 at 18:36

VWPowered View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote VWPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2011 at 04:50
i have now updated my website with new updates and back in time updates for the indre region

enjoy :) thoughts welcome

http://www.franco-oldtimers.org
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 18:33
Dear VW!

You seem to be a level headed person, and you also seem to have an interest in preserving some of the heritage of France, that seems to be disolving like an "Alka-Selzer" tablet into the countryside!

You have already pictured one of the family estated of the "Roche" family, which is the one that pictures a representative fish called the "Roche", in its standard!

But, do you know of the other family called variously "de la Roche'", etc., whose standard seems to portray a "Rock!"?

As you might well have discovered by this time, a lot of the information and relics of certain parts of French history, were eliminated during the "Great Revolutions" that tore France in-two! Note I wrote "In-two" rather than "into!"

The forces of Nappy did little to change things within France in particular! He was, indeed, considering himself as the "King of Kings" at one time or another!

Little man, big ego!

Thus, if you are also able to do some research, then could you explore the possibility that there existed two "Roche'" families within France?

Regarde' vous!

Edited by opuslola - 03-Feb-2011 at 18:50
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply