Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAfricas Role in World History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africas Role in World History
    Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 12:24
What I always wanted to know, but never dared to ask:
What, in your opinion are the reasons that the African continent, and especially the sub-Saharan part of it, has played a rather quiet and secondary role in World history?
Correct me if Im wrong, but apart from the Egyptian, there has been no indigenous African civilization that has made a major original contribution to or impact on world culture prior to the end of colonization in the mid 20th century.
With indigenous I mean civilizations whose major cultural impetus did not come from cultures outside Africa, as it did in the Islamic North-African Empires after 650AD.

Africa hasnt produced any Empires or cultures that consequently expanded onto other continents, Africa hasnt produced any major world religion or philosophy which would have spread out onto other continents, in fact Africa seemed to have served mainly an inexhaustible reservoir of man-power and natural resources which European and Middle-Eastern powers exploited to the full.
Sure, there have been a number of highly developed sub-Saharan cultures, in West and South-Africa or Ethiopia, but none of them exerted any great influence outside their immediate area.
One could say the same about pre-Columbian America of course, but the continent was geographically isolated, whilst Africa is close to both Europe and Middle-Eastern Asia, from where countless invasions and cultural influences onto the African continent came. But it seems always to have been one-way traffic.
So my questions are:
Firstly, am I right in my assessment of indigenous African contributions to world culture and history, and secondly, if yes, what are the reasons?
Geography must have played a certain role, but there must be some other explanations.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 12:52

A difficult question I can't think of any sub-saharan civilisation that had power outside africa. Madagascar in the 19th century was a quite a power and defeated several European attempts at colonisation. In the Ancient world Numidia and Nubia spring to mind, but are not exactly sub-saharan, both had impact outside of africa though. Then of course there's that old cookie, were the ancient egyptians black? The Barbary coast was quite a power in the rennaissance.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 15:45
I think there is much to be said for an East African influence exerted through the Indian ocean trade system.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 20:25

WE already have a thread about this in which all of your questions can be answered pretty much but Ill go again.

First of all Africa is the most important continent in the world, without it there would be no people (although on AE I would nto be suprised is some idiots claimed Turks or Chinese were the first to have evolved from apes).

As for pre-colonial empires of cultural impact:

Proto Ethiopia known as Axum conquered large parts of southern Arabia before Muhammad and had maritime power up and down the coast of Africa and was an ally of Byzantium.  Eventually they were ejected after about a half century by Sassanid Iran from Arabia.  After they withdrew from a martime empire Ethiopia became a landpower and its culture and own brand of Orthodox Christianity was adopted by its southern neighbors who were incorporated.  Ethiopia later re emerged onteh world stage as an ally of Portugal against Ottoman-Somali incursions.  OPf course in the 19th century they beat the Italians very badly too.

The Garamentines were no empire really but lived int he Sahara using an ingenious aqueduct system to stay alive.  Eventually they collapsed and migrated west, the Tuareg are possible their descendants.

And of course dont forget West Africa, the empires of Mali Ghana and Songhay were wealthier than most European kingdoms of their time and their cities were great centers of Islamic learning where Arabs and Berbers would go to learn.  The last of these, the Songhay would collapse to Portugese mercenaries with guns under the command of the Morroccans.

And Great Zimbabwe of the Shona people, an agricultural and trading powerhouse with grand buildings that are on par with Mesoamerican stone architecture, collapsed due to climate change.

Meroitic Sudan (of which I wrote an article on for this site) was one of the biggest iron prodcuers of the early AD's exporting iron to Arabia Egypt,  Ethiopia, and others.  Meroe as a kingdom lasted for a thousand years until the massive deforestation caused by so much iron production caused them to collapse, Meroe in terms of economic output was almsot a proto industrial city state.

As for why these states never made a big outside of Africa, geography is indeed the answer.  The Sahara was a barrier before the camel came in the 600's or so, but more importantly is that Africa is the second largest continent with the shortest coastline (shorter even than Australia) , it is on a raised table that has barely any harbors and almost totally unnavigatable rivers.  Thus martime expansion is nearly impossible.

The grasslands of Africa which in Eurasia served as a great highways of culture and tech, are in Africa too small to matter and too rich to warrant steppe empire like expansion.  Also keep in mind that until recently Africa was a very underpopulated continent, it also has alto of trpoics,not good for technological development.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 20:44
(shorter even than Australia)

Eh, are you sure about that?
I can picture if being shorter than Europe (which is like a collection of peninsulars stucktogether with duct-tape and beurocracy), but Australia?
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 02:48
yes, Thomas Sowell cites geographic studies in his book, the chapter about Africas geography, maybe hes wrong but it certainly cant be much longer than Australias coastline (remeber indentations and harbors too) Africa is like a table, it slopes off to rapidly to the side.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 07:06
To answer the first question from Komnenos, the Ethiopians gave us coffee.  Imagine how hard it would be to get around in today's world without that!

I would also agree with Tobodai that geography is the main reason why we don't hear much of African empires spreading to other continents.  The ones that did were based on the north side of the Sahara:  the Egyptians on several occasions (the two most recent being Mohammed Ali's attempt to overthrow the Ottoman sultan in the 1830s, and Nasser's short-lived United Arab Republic), the Carthaginians, and Moorish states like the Almoravids and the Almohads.

Besides the Sahara and the coastal barriers that Tobodai mentioned, I would add that the only place below the Sahara where large empires are feasible is in the valley of the Niger River.  Elsewhere transportation and communications are so difficult that states have to remain small to succeed.  This is especially the case with kingdoms based in the jungle, like Benin and Ashanti.  If it's not worth the trouble to conquer a neighboring tribe, you're not going to have much interest in conquering lands overseas, right?
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 20:13
Originally posted by Komnenos

What I always wanted to know, but never dared to ask:
What, in your opinion are the reasons that the African continent, and especially the sub-Saharan part of it, has played a rather quiet and secondary role in World history?
Correct me if Im wrong, but apart from the Egyptian, there has been no indigenous African civilization that has made a major original contribution to or impact on world culture prior to the end of colonization in the mid 20th century.
With indigenous I mean civilizations whose major cultural impetus did not come from cultures outside Africa, as it did in the Islamic North-African Empires after 650AD.

Africa hasnt produced any Empires or cultures that consequently expanded onto other continents, Africa hasnt produced any major world religion or philosophy which would have spread out onto other continents, in fact Africa seemed to have served mainly an inexhaustible reservoir of man-power and natural resources which European and Middle-Eastern powers exploited to the full.
Sure, there have been a number of highly developed sub-Saharan cultures, in West and South-Africa or Ethiopia, but none of them exerted any great influence outside their immediate area.
One could say the same about pre-Columbian America of course, but the continent was geographically isolated, whilst Africa is close to both Europe and Middle-Eastern Asia, from where countless invasions and cultural influences onto the African continent came. But it seems always to have been one-way traffic.
So my questions are:
Firstly, am I right in my assessment of indigenous African contributions to world culture and history, and secondly, if yes, what are the reasons?
Geography must have played a certain role, but there must be some other explanations.

What about the gold rich civilizations of Kanet, Mali, Ghana, and Ethiopia?
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 03:01
Well, humans evolved in Africa, so from that perspective, we are Africa's gift to the world! 

That's a pretty big role in Human history, eh?
magavan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 23:54
Yes i think all human kind evolved in Africa, and the first religion was animism from africa
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 00:07

Africans have made a great contribution to society.Aside from those Africans who did something in Africa,now,I'm talking abou Colonial Africans,in America.I don't want to say it,because I might get flammed,but oh well.

Africans contributed greatly,if not they were being forced to,by cruelty and malice,to the construction of Colonial America,by the Spanish,the British,and the Americans.It makes me sad to talk about this,because those people suffered to do what their idiotic masters told them to do,and some even died trying to escape.

Now here comes the part where I might get flammed,but I don't care,the so-called supreme whites(Spanish,British,Americans)claimed they were culturally,and ethnically superior to the Africans(it makes me so mad to talk about this),so guess what,Whites started quoting Biblical passages and crap to justify what they were doing,what foolery.

The Africans were forced to do work,and they contributed greatly to the survival and economical aspects of South and North America,as well as the Carribbean.The Southern United States relied on Slave Labor,and without it,the lazy whites in the South would have to do the work themselves,.In South America,the Natives were all dying of disease by Colonial Spaniards,so the Spanish got Africans to South America,to work out what the Natives started.However,Spanish Slave Labor was much more lineant than American Slave Labor,accounting for many Africans escaping to Florida and Mexico,and even the Carribbean during the South's King Cotton Era,and the Slave Era in general.

Without the work,and the blood and sweat those Africans shed,North and South America might not what they are today,because of economical purposes.I might be wrong,but this is my own opinion.I speak no more,so if anyone argues,I will not be listening.

However,this is not racism to the Caucasian today,but it is disgust and dissappointment of the Caucasian yesterday,because my ancestory goes back to Spain,so why bother being racist to my myself?

I know this is discussion abou African in Africa,but Africans in the Americas did do something for World History as well,just thought I'd mention what great men  Abraham Lincoln,John Brown,and all those abolitionists(and ladies of course)were,for going the distance to end such cruelty.

Edited by Vamun Tianshu

In Honor
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 14:12
There are signs of trade between African countries and the Greek and Roman civilization by the time bantu started it's expansion. Kush being in touch with Egypt would have contributed somehow inderectly to european civs having in mind the egyptians influenced the greeks whose culture was at the base for most of european nations that developed. Axum also deserves to be noted as it accepted christianity. Carthage was a mix of Phoenician culture with the native berbers.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 08:00
Quite right, Giani, we often forget that Egypt was an African civilization, though it tended to be more interested in the Middle East than in African neighbors like Libya and Nubia.

For what it's worth, since I posted my previous message, I tried making a list of the longest-lived civilizations in history.  I could only find four that lasted more than two thousand years, and two of them are in Africa.

1.  Egypt.  According to the chronology I use, 2,789 years passed from Menes to Cleopatra; most historians will give the Egyptians even more time, like a full 3,000 years.  They had a bit of luck because they got started so early; for more than a millennium they had no hostile neighbors.  When outsiders managed to get into Egypt and take over, the Egyptians convinced them that they were the oldest civilization of all, so foreigners like the Hyksos, Libyans, Nubians, Assyrians and Persians felt the need to adopt Egyptian customs, or at least respect them.  Not until the arrival of a stronger culture, that of the Greeks, did the pharaonic culture begin to falter, and it finally perished under the harsh rule of the Romans.

2.  Rome.  Counting from the traditional date of Romulus & Remus to the fall of Constantinople, we get 2,205 years.  However, in this case it was mainly the Roman legacy for law and order that lasted so long.  Over the course of the centuries, the "Roman" people went from speaking Etruscan to Latin to Greek, and switched from paganism to Christianity, so while the Nile valley civilization was recognizably Egyptian at both the beginning and the end of the time of the pharaohs, if through some sort of time warp we could put together two Romans from the eighth century B.C. and the fifteenth century A.D., I doubt that they would believe they were from the same civilization.

3.  China is a close third; from the Qin dynasty to the 1911 revolution, 2,131 years passed.    I'm leaving out the Xia, Shang and Zhou dynasties because archaeology shows Chinese culture in a developmental stage back then; in fact, there were several competing cultures in the Yellow and Yangtze River valleys, any one of which could have become "China" if the Qin hadn't triumphed.  We probably wouldn't even call the country "China" if another "warring state" came out on top, because China's name comes from Qin.  Nor do I count the years after the last emperor, because China seems to have been in a state of transition since then; in its efforts to deal with the West it has become something that is not quite the old China, but not quite something else.

4.  Ethiopia.    This may surprise some readers because Ethiopia was never more than a regional power; the Ethiopians did not go forth to build an empire and force everyone else in the known world to pay attention to their activities and wishes.  Ethiopia got on the list because its oldest city, Axum, was founded at an unknown date between 300 B.C. and 100 A.D., making it anywhere from 1,905 to 2,305 years old.  Unfortunately for us there are some big gaps in Ethiopia's history, especially near the beginning, so we don't have exact dates; written records concerning Axum first appear in the fourth century A.D.  What we do know is that since the fourth century there has been a recognizably Ethiopian culture that is Christian and usually under a monarch who proclaimed himself "King of Kings, the Lion of Judah".
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 15:05

Berosus, what do you define by civilization? Is it some sort of political continuity, or is it a cultural and linguistic continuity? When does civilization start? It's very hard to put a date on these things.

China arguably has a 4500 year civilization, the way most people see it. Hellenic civilization lasted from around 800 BC to the 5th century AD, without counting the Mycenean and Minoc civilizations, which would push its start all the way to 2500BC. In Mesopotamia, one can argue that there was a cultural continuity starting from as early as 8000 BC,  and finishing all the way around the time of Alexander the Great. Persia can also claim 5000 years of history... What about India? If we accept the Mohenjo-Daro civilization as the earliest Indian state, then India also has a history spanning 4500 years. And last but not least, the Hebrews have an uninterrupted culture spanning more than 3000 years (without a state for most of that time, but culturally they maintained their cohesion).

All civilizations had different dynasties, and various states ruling them. I think that the most important factor that defines a civilization is culture. It is hard to measure in precise years when a culture starts and when it begins.

Now coming back to Africa, there's no doubt nowadays for historians and informed people, that native African civilizations made an original contribution to human civilization. Geography precluded most of them from making a big impact on other continents. Although some civilizations have made a more subtle impact on human history. The Gold states of West Africa - Ghana, Mali, Songhay have produced most of the gold upon which European and Middle-Eastern medieval economy was based. The Swahili city-states of East Africa have also made an important contribution to the economy of the entire Indian Ocean basin.

Komnenos, I recommend readin Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond. It is the best explanation I've seen to date about the technological evolution of humans on various continents.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 13:15

Hi-  I need some correct words/answers with my research paper for Global Studies in Africa.  I'm still puzzled with the history.. What are the major geographical features of the African continent? and how these affected the development of African history up to c. 1800.  Describe the pre-colonial empires in Africa in terms of culture and history.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 17:26

My, that's a loaded question: you can write several books on those questions. You should probably pick up an atlas for the geography. For history, I recommend reading History of Africa, by Kevin Shillington. Alternatively you can watch the African history series by Basil Davidson: it's quite good.

Quickly though, the important things to note are:

1. Africa is a very large continent but its coasts are fairly smooth; hence there are very few maritime cultures.

2. The Sahara desert was a major barrier to technological and cultural imports from Europe and the Middle East, but not impassable.

3. Most civilizations occured in river valleys: thus the Egyptians and the Nubians on the Nile, Ghana, Mali  and Songhay on the Niger, Zimbabwe and Monomotapa on the Zambezi, the Kongo on the Congo.

4. Other civilizations fo note are Axum/Ethiopia in the Ethiopian Highlands, the Swahili city-states on the Indian Ocean coast, the Hausa city states in Nigeria, Benin and Dahomey on the Guine Gulf coast and the Zulu confederacy in South Africa.

5. Africa is the continent with the most languages and with a very wide variety of cultures.

6. Most of Africa went straight from the Stone age to the Iron Age, with the northen half of the continent borrowing the technology from the Middle East and the Central/South developing it independently.

You really need to come up with more specific questions here...

Napoleon Bonaparte

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 20:40
Continuing my post...

7. Traditionally, sub-saharan states were not based upon the   ruling of land, but rather of people, since the population density was so low.

8. In most sub-saharan cultures, particularly the Bantu, the basis of the economy was cattle.

9. In addition to the civilizations I mentioned above, of note are also Buganda, the (non-African) Carthaginians and the Berber kingdoms of Numidia and Mauretania.

10. In addition to geography, African civilizations development was also determined by biological barriers. For example, the expansion of cattle-raising cultures was largely determined by the range of the tse-tse fly.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 23:38
Thanks!!  I am gonna grab the book to read the one you highly recommend ,History of Africa, by Kevin Shillington. 
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 09:25
I've been writing webpages on African history for the past few years.  I did a page on ancient Egypt in 2001, Carthage in 2002, and have been working on a general history of the rest of Africa since the beginning of 2004.  Here's what I have so far:

Chapter 1:  The Original Africans

Chapter 2:  Valley of the Pharaohs (Before 654 B.C.)

Chapter 3:  Carthage (814 to 264 B.C.)

Chapter 4:  Africa in the Classical Era (654 B.C. to 641 A.D.)

Chapter 5:  The Trading Kingdoms (641 to 1415 A.D.)

Chapter 6:  The Forest Kingdoms (1415 to 1795)

Chapter 7:  The Dark Continent Partitioned (1795 to 1914)

I expect to have an eighth chapter up sometime next week.  Called "Wind of Change," it will cover the years 1914 to 1965.

Enjoy!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 19:17
Great page... All your own writing, pretty impresive..
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>