Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help with british history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
foargo91 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote foargo91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with british history
    Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 12:20
how would you describe the era of decolonization? What factors contributed to the disintergration of the British empire? Did decolonization have similar consequences in different parts of the world??

Thank you very much .
I am almost done with my essay, but i just need to make sure my ideas are correct.
Thank you
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by foargo91

What factors contributed to the disintergration of the British empire?

One factor of many was the lackluster British military performance in WWII.  The British were given a massive and humiliating defeat in Malaysia /  Singapore by the Japanese (non European even) and were easily over run in Burma.  British performance against the Germans was better, but by no means inspiring and was not at the level of WWI. 

Many colonial subjects then concluded after observing the lackluster British performance and the disasterous French performance that both colonial powers were fallible and had no inherent "right" to rule them.

Edited by Cryptic - 14-Dec-2010 at 12:41
foargo91 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote foargo91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 15:57
yeah. What i got was that after WWI, Britain's economy and political power were weakened. The colonies didn't see them as a dominant superpower anymore.

The educated people and the rise of nationalism were also the causes. The natives were discontent with the British rule, as the Brits were disrespectful of their cultures and traditions.
After Independence, religious and ethnicity hostilities were still problems that ex-colonies had to face. Also, huge debt and poor economy.

So what do you think about my answer? Please give me some suggestions. I really need to do well on this paper.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 16:45

yeah. What i got was that after WWI, Britain's economy and political power were weakened. The colonies didn't see them as a dominant superpower anymore.

The educated people and the rise of nationalism were also the causes. The natives were discontent with the British rule, as the Brits were disrespectful of their cultures and traditions.
After Independence, religious and ethnicity hostilities were still problems that ex-colonies had to face. Also, huge debt and poor economy.

So what do you think about my answer? Please give me some suggestions. I really need to do well on this paper.
It's nice one!Clap
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 16:58

as the Brits were disrespectful of their cultures and traditions.

I do not think that is a large factor.  One of the reasons the British and the French were so successful is because they appointed administrators and military officers who had a good understanding of native cultures and generally respected them.

That does not mean that every British colonial officer / official was "Mr. PC", but they were a tolerant bunch by imperial standards.  Hundreds of thousands of colonials willingly served in the British army.
 Post Reply Post Reply