Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very ancient civilization found in persian gulf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very ancient civilization found in persian gulf
    Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 13:45
Theory Points to Civilization Under Persian Gulf

Dec. 11) -- The waters of the Persian Gulf may be hiding a lost civilization that could change our understanding of human history, according to new research.

This huge fertile stretch of land may have been home to humans from about 74,000 years ago until about 8,000 years ago, according to Discovery News.

When the waters around them began to rise, these early humans may have migrated to what is now the gulf shoreline, founding new settlements there, according to a paper published in the December issue of Current Anthropology.
Over the past several years, archaeologists have uncovered new evidence of those shoreline settlements.

"Where before there had been but a handful of scattered hunting camps, suddenly, over 60 new archaeological sites appear virtually overnight," Jeffrey Rose of the University of Birmingham said, according to LiveScience.

"These settlements boast well-built, permanent stone houses, long-distance trade networks, elaborately decorated pottery, domesticated animals, and even evidence for one of the oldest boats in the world," Rose said.

Rose says such sophisticated settlements couldn't have developed so quickly, which is why he believes even older settlements lie beneath gulf waters. If true, Rose's hypothesis could offer a clue as to how and when human beings first departed Africa and settled in the Middle East.

This has long been a topic for debate, with some scientists saying that humans made the migration 125,000 years ago, while others put it closer to 60,000 years ago, LiveScience said.

The now-submerged slice of land would have been about the size of Great Britain, Rose said.

Since it would have received water from the rivers Tigris, Euphrates, Karun and Wadi Baton, it would have offered a fertile refuge from the nearby harsh deserts.

"I think Jeff's theory is bold and imaginative, and hopefully will shake things up," Oxford Brookes University's Robert Carter told LiveScience.

"It would completely rewrite our understanding of the out-of-Africa migration. It is far from proven, but Jeff and others will be developing research programs to test the theory," Carter said.

Rose admits that much work remains be done. So far, he has focused on archaeological sites on dry land and studies of geological history.

Finding some physical evidence beneath the waves of the ocean would be a major advance in proving that his theory is correct.

"We would need to find a submerged site, and excavate it underwater," Rose said, according to LiveScience. "This would likely only happen as the culmination of years of survey in carefully selected areas."

The waters of the Persian Gulf rose 8,000 years ago, perhaps because of the collapse of a huge glacial dam in Canada, according to Postmedia News.

This event caused water levels to rise across the world. This catastrophic event may have forced humans out of the Gulf basin and given rise to ancient stories such as that of Noah's Ark.

"Certainly, I think there is compelling evidence to suggest that both the flood and Eden myths may be rooted in these events around the Gulf basin," Rose said, according to Discovery News

balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 13:48
Evidence is mounting that the first human civilization outside of Africa probably evolved in what is now the Persian Gulf. Recent discoveries suggest that we're about to find a fairly advanced civilization sunk beneath the waters of the Gulf.

Archaeologist Jeffrey Rose has published a paper in Current Anthropology where he argues that we'll find some of the earliest human civilizations on Earth in what was once a fertile basin fed by clear streams and lush with greenery.

According to Live Science:

The Gulf Oasis would have been a shallow inland basin exposed from about 75,000 years ago until 8,000 years ago, forming the southern tip of the Fertile Crescent, according to historical sea-level records.

And it would have been an ideal refuge from the harsh deserts surrounding it, with fresh water supplied by the Tigris, Euphrates, Karun and Wadi Baton Rivers, as well as by upwelling springs, Rose said. And during the last ice age when conditions were at their driest, this basin would've been at its largest.

Then, about 8,000 years ago, melting ice sheets eventually led to a wetter climate that flooded the Persian Gulf basin. That is also the time when we begin to find incredibly well-developed civilizations on the Gulf shoreline - civilizations that seem to have sprung fully-formed, with advanced seafaring technologies, out of nowhere. Unless, of course, they came from sunken cities hidden beneath the Gulf waters.

Live Science continues:

The most definitive evidence of these human camps in the Gulf comes from a new archaeological site called Jebel Faya 1 within the Gulf basin that was discovered four years ago. There, Hans-Peter Uerpmann of the University of Tubingen in Germany found three different Paleolithic settlements occurring from about 125,000 to 25,000 years ago. That and other archaeological sites, Rose said, indicate "that early human groups were living around the Gulf basin throughout the Late Pleistocene."

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/12/500x_sunkencity.jpg
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 13:49

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 15:52
I have at least one migration map, indicating this region is the point of mass migrations.  Also I believe it was a Chinese scientist who said the Ice Age pushed humanity into a small area.  I forget where this area was.  I will look for verifying information as soon as possible. 
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 15:58

could this be atlantis??

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 19:46
Perhaps some of you have even read my views about early man coming out from the depths of what later became "seas?"

But, perhaps not?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 07:13
This is extremely interesting! Could this be the origin of the Biblical flood myth?

It has been said that Eden was located somewhere in the Persian Gulf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Eden#Under_the_Persian_Gulf

balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 13:14
^ yes, that was what the article was saying, you live in Bahrain, go swim the in persian gulf and find the lost civilization lol
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 15:57
Bahrain, has been suspected of being the Genesis of the Garden of Eden myth for at least 50 years or so!

It is nothing new!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 23:49
Originally posted by opuslola

Bahrain, has been suspected of being the Genesis of the Garden of Eden myth for at least 50 years or so!

It is nothing new!
Wow, and I thought there was not much interesting history behind this little corner of the world! I have heard of that theory but didn't think much of it, but after these new findings I'm starting to change my mind!
Seth View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 21:30
Interesting. Ive been reading a book, "Technology of the Gods The Incredible sciences of the Ancients". By David Hatcher Childress.It qoutes that for many years people have know of the ancient civilizations that once thrived in the mediterranean, such as the Osirian. And were very much real and did exist. To say that us as a species has such a short history, and that we developed only one course of major civilizations... well thats ridiculous, over time anythings possible. be logical. 
S.O
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 18:42
Hello, all.  I just found this topic, very interesting indeed.   I have been collecting information about mining and trade routes in antiquity, I have noticed a correlation between megalithic sites and ancient economies.  I believe megalithic sites the world over served as navigation, storage for goods and housing for people, and as well defended corridors in the ancient mining and trade industries.  I think we too readily dismiss the tenacity and creativity of ancient civilizations and our forefathers. The neolithic and bronze ages were not so long ago on our entire historical timeline. I absolutely concur with Seth on this.  Some of the earliest trade activities are evident from over 70,000 years ago in Africa, beads and shells were traded throughout the continent.  Mining appears 40,000 years ago in Bulgaria and Swaziland in southern Africa.  I have some info collected at      https://sites.google.com/site/ancienttrenches/ancient-trade-routs
please do have a read, nny further insights or more information would be greatly appreciated.  It is advert free and will remain that way, my only goal is to draw attention to the sophistication and technological advances in industry, trade, and defense as displayed by megalithic constructions.   
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by Drusin

Hello, all.  I just found this topic, very interesting indeed.   I have been collecting information about mining and trade routes in antiquity, I have noticed a correlation between megalithic sites and ancient economies.  I believe megalithic sites the world over served as navigation, storage for goods and housing for people, and as well defended corridors in the ancient mining and trade industries.  I think we too readily dismiss the tenacity and creativity of ancient civilizations and our forefathers. The neolithic and bronze ages were not so long ago on our entire historical timeline. I absolutely concur with Seth on this.  Some of the earliest trade activities are evident from over 70,000 years ago in Africa, beads and shells were traded throughout the continent.  Mining appears 40,000 years ago in Bulgaria and Swaziland in southern Africa.  I have some info collected at      https://sites.google.com/site/ancienttrenches/ancient-trade-routs
please do have a read, nny further insights or more information would be greatly appreciated.  It is advert free and will remain that way, my only goal is to draw attention to the sophistication and technological advances in industry, trade, and defense as displayed by megalithic constructions.   

Not a bad website, but what's your take on this underwater civilisation? Personally i'm doubtful this is Atlantis as Classical sources describe it being on a round island
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 20:46
I think a lot of archaeological sites are submerged under water or modern cities.  The coast line has changed a few times in our past, it's been at both lower and higher levels than present.  As for Atlantis, I leave for others to have an opinion.  I think the story is still out there on that one. Atlantis and cities like it may well have existed in separate places and differing times, perhaps every region has had it's own Atlantis.
Seth View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 15:51
This is very interesting and id like u to keep up on it, but Atlantis wasn't just a great city like many have come to believe but rather an entire civilization, an empire, it conquered a older Greece not known by the ancient Greeks we know of, far before, The Osirians. I mentioned them before, and they apparently rivaled Atlantis, these two of many other ancient civilizations were very powerful and set up colony's around the world and maybe even further into space then we did. Its all very  hard to take and many don't even consider, but without consideration for everything in every aspect there is no logical answer, think of it this way anything possibly imaginable  (in a logical sense) in history for the past 300,000 years or even far more, humans have been doing things and they had tv's and radio's and all the things today. Just a process that keeps replaying in different scenarios.

What can crush mountains, move seas, change everything, and is the most powerful thing ever?
"Time"

Over
time
anything
is
possible. So its already been. Get used to it.

S.O
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:17
Originally posted by Seth

This is very interesting and id like u to keep up on it, but Atlantis wasn't just a great city like many have come to believe but rather an entire civilization, an empire, it conquered a older Greece not known by the ancient Greeks we know of, far before, The Osirians. I mentioned them before, and they apparently rivaled Atlantis, these two of many other ancient civilizations were very powerful and set up colony's around the world and maybe even further into space then we did. Its all very  hard to take and many don't even consider, but without consideration for everything in every aspect there is no logical answer, think of it this way anything possibly imaginable  (in a logical sense) in history for the past 300,000 years or even far more, humans have been doing things and they had tv's and radio's and all the things today. Just a process that keeps replaying in different scenarios.

What can crush mountains, move seas, change everything, and is the most powerful thing ever?
"Time"

Over
time
anything
is
possible. So its already been. Get used to it.

Do you know any more about the Osirian civilisation Seth? We started a topic on the subject and came to the conclusion they were purely mythical, being based on memories of ancient Egypt
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2012 at 06:53
Is there any connection between this topic and Dilmun ? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilmun)
Seth View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 02:01
The funny thing is, is that the Osirian, where considered the gods of the Egyptians, the Egyptians simply went from cave dwellers and simple farmers to great inventors and strategist..? no time of development between... They must have been given the knowledge from a older civilization, greater than themselves. how could the great civilization like Egypt do this in such a short period? they just could not in such a short period... The legends of Rama Empire and Atlantis are all the same, greater beings, almost god like cause of technology, and used it to advantage.  Posing as Gods, but in reality much smaller weaker beings, like ourselves, just smarter. If America and other great country's went to war, nuclear war or chemical they'd wipe out the majority of the human population, leaving a new  planet to restart, it only takes a good 5000 years for metals to return to the earth, and much less for plastic or other materials, leaving no sign of a time before, 5000 years! very short in the history of our species existence, not recorded history, if we existed 1millon years ago or more wheres all the history... burned, ravaged and destroyed by so called "Great leaders", more like people hiding the truth. Once years ago, existed a book called "the history of man over the past hundred years" in the library of Alexandria, burned by fanatical Christians in the early century's AD, later anything else found of the book and other great knowledge's were used to heat Muslim baths. In china the great emperor who built the great wall burned all past knowledge in china, saying he was the first, a god... knowledge is power these leaders knew that and used it, later burning books so that no others learn the secret of our past times... and gain the knowledge which they used to gain power... look many of the things up i wrote and research it yourself.
S.O
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 10:32

Most folks who are rabid "Atlantis fans get so wrapped up in the Island aspect, they neglect to pay attention to Plato's description of "The Ten Kingdoms".  You couldn't have ten kingdoms on an Island of the size described by Plato, nor could you have a very large flat plane, being some 100 miles across.

We have to think of the island as a trading outpost.  For the rest of it, look to South America.  The evidence of an older civ. is there.  Plato describes buildings composed of red and black stone. There are several sites on the South Amer. coast with ruins made from red and black stones.  To find the civilization that built the Island trading post known as Atlantis, look to S America, most of what your looking for is there.

BTW, quite a few folks believe that the burning of the Library of Alexandria is the main cause of the information gap that exist today.  Thus making it the most damaging act of vandalism known.

Also, some plastics have a life of some 20,000 years.  Right now it's estimated that approx. 40% of the beach sand found at the oceans edge is............plastics.  Source- New Jersey DEP.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 10:56
Hello all, interesting post. I've just returned from New York where I caught the Nomads and Networks exhibit of artifacts found in Kazakhstan.  I  am in agreement here with red clay.  I think rather than looking at a city in particular we should focus on a global network of exchange in antiquities.  There are fat too many unexplained coincidences and anomalies other wise.  I have read also, red clay that some suggest north america was Atlantis and it did not sink but rather we lost contact.  BTW thanks for making me a member of the week.  I would have responded but was prowling about the antiquities halls at the metropolitan museum that week.  I'm about half way through with a new book entitled Across Atlantic Ice.  The book is informative though it is a bit dry.  The information is well worth the read all the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>