Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA question on Greeks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question on Greeks
    Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 01:23
Well, true, but the Indo-European invasion didn't bring a massive change to the European gene pool (according to Luigi Cavalla-Storsa or something, can't remember the name correctly), under 10%.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 01:30
Well, true, but the Indo-European invasion didn't bring a massive change to the European gene pool (according to Luigi Cavalla-Storsa or something, can't remember the name correctly), under 10%.

Com'on, the IE theory is nothing more than a myth that has crumbled by archeologic finds. There has never again been any kind of attempt to question archeologic and antropologic finds with some manipulation of linguistics.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 01:40
Originally posted by Phallanx

Well, true, but the Indo-European invasion didn't bring a massive
change to the European gene pool (according to Luigi Cavalla-Storsa or
something, can't remember the name correctly), under 10%.

Com'on, the IE theory is nothing more than a myth that has crumbled by
archeologic finds. There has never again been any kind of attempt to
question archeologic and antropologic finds with some manipulation of linguistics.

He may differ with you!!

In Search of the Indo-Europeans
Author: J. P. Mallory

Can you recommend any recent books that support your views?

Also:
Coming of the Greeks
Indo-European Conquests in the Aegean and the Near East
Robert Drews

Edited by eaglecap
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 05:31
Can you recommend any recent books that support your views?

Not sure that there is anything to recommend since all this is still theoretical and nothing has actually been proven beyond doubt.

As you know, the very basis of this "thoery" is continuously contradicted by its very supporters. They original dates for these "invasions" to have taken place were originally estimated between the 2nd and 1st millenium BC, but thanks to the continuous archeologic finds that prove the continuety of civilization in various areas, (I'm absolutely sure about the Balkans) they attempted to raise the date to the 3rd and after later finds to the 4th and then 5th millenium. (see a patern here??)

Let's take the area of Hellas and the Balkans as an example (since it's the only example I happen to have proof of)

The alleged IE brought with them some supreme technology that the "original" populations had NO knowledge of, some of this knowledge is among others horse-taming, pottery, metalworking ........ and of course the language.

All of these alledgedly brought by the IE "new" technologies, have been proved to have existed in Hellas and I think in the area of Serbia at least since the 6th millenium all based on archeologic finds. Not to mention horse-taming that is proved to have been accomplished by the 7th from the stone carvings found at Pangeios mountain that do not only depict a horse but also a rider.

It is true that there are some similarities among various languages, but the IE theory isnt as simple as presented, where we simply find common or very similar words used that were allegedly given to the rest of the world by the invisibe IE race.. 
We must also take under consideration the fact that in order to "invent" the IE origin as G.Munnen(sp?) tells us, they have been comparing Sanscrit of the 1st mill., Hellinic of the 6th BC, Latin of the 2ndBC, Gothic of 4th AD....... so as anyone can see this can't stand.

A reasonable question would be, how did the Minoans and Myceneans that already had a written script almost before Vedic has benn estimated to have been used and thus a language come into contact with these alleged IE with the allegedly supreme knowledge

I recall reading of a French scholar Bufarteng(sp?) that suggested, that since writing hadn't been yet invented we would expect that the historians of India and Hellas would have mentioned something in their written history (at least the Hellines that had one) but not only are such records totally abcent in historic records but we find absolutely no mention in their myths and traditions of such people.

So we come to the conveniently invented a Dorian invasion (according on who you quote you find a different date), totally ignoring the fact that NO historic text nor myth mention an invasion of Dorians but a return of the Heracledes!!!

All texts speak of "KATHODOS" that clearly means "coming back, to return" and we know that the Herakledes were a Hellinic people decendants of Herakles that returned to their Dorian homeland in Peloponnese.
We also find Xenophon's work titled "KATHODOS TON MYRION" (sorry but don't know the latin or english title of this) that also gives the meaning of "return"

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 08:07

Calm down man.   Where have I said the IE's were superior in anything? I'd think them as violent barbarians more like. I am just trying to prove, that linguistics and genetics aren't the same, with the fact that IE's didn't bring anything new to Europe, not even genes, so IE's can't have had blonde hair or blue eyes as their genetic features, since they aren't dominant features even today.

I think this also proves, that language can change whether there is a continuity in civilisation or not. So yes, Greece DID have technological civilisations even before the nomadic barbarians came (IE's). (I recall that the coming of the IE's was even remembered in Hellenic Greece, by a philosofer or something.)

Besides, I don't know any professors have denied the existence of the IE language family. The IE-theory has been proven correct separately be linguistics and archaelogy, first by Maria Gimbutas in archaeology (the Kurgan culture), and later by professors on IE-languages.

Thank you and goodbye.

Edited by Kuu-ukko
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 11:54
The linguistic part of the whole IE thing is sound, its the archeologists who want to be the ones to earn fame for finding the 'real IE' who are at fault, not he linguistics.
Arrrgh!!"
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 12:50

Greek mtDNA

In numerous recent studies, the mitochondrial DNA of Greeks was examined and was found to be predominantly Caucasoid with only infrequent presence of "erratic" sequences from non-Caucasoid sources. Mitochondrial DNA ("mtDNA" is inherited from one's mother and is thus a good way to establish the maternal ancestry of a population.

The most comprehensive European-wide study of mtDNA is [1] in which 125 Greeks were sampled among thousands of Europeans. The Greeks and the Albanians appear in the "Mediterranean-East" category of the study. Greeks tested belonged overwhelmingly to the Caucasoid-specific haplogroups ("Seven Daughters of Eve" popularized by Bryan Sykes' book).

The "erratic" sequences include a Sub-Saharan African (L1a) sequence, which was derived from the Albanian part of the sample [2]. The other two sequences non-attributed to a European founder are members of haplogroups prevalent in Asia, M and D. Thus, the total percentage of erratics in the Greek sample was 1.6%. The Greeks, like most Europeans are fairly pure in terms of their maternal ancestry.

It is sometimes argued that the Greeks absorbed large numbers of Negro slaves or immigrants. There is no evidence of such an event in Greek mtDNA. If it ever took place, it was so limited in scope that not a single sequence in a total of 125 could be found.

The number of non-European sequences in the rest of Europe is also small, while in the Near East it is about 5%, only slightly larger. One can easily verify that Sub-Saharan African admixture (L sequences) has been detected in Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway and Iceland - 0.6%), Southeastern Europe (Bulgaria/Romania - 0.5%), Central Mediterranean (Italy and Sardinia - 1.7%; mostly in Sardinia), the Mediterranean West (Spain and Portugal - 3.7%), North Central Europe (Poles, Czechs, Germans, Danes - 0.9%), North Western Europe (Britain, Ireland and France - 0.4%). In another recent study [3] on Norwegians, an L2 Sub-Saharan African sequence was found in the sample of 74 Norwegians (1.4% Sub-Saharan admixture). Finally [4] showed 0.5% to 1.2% introgression of Sub-Saharan African genes into the European American gene pool.

The main conclusion to be drawn from these studies, is that Caucasoids of European descent have negligible traces of non-Caucasoid maternal admixture. Sub-Saharan African traces of such ancestry are found at levels of about 1% in many populations. But not in Greeks(a).

References
Richards et al., Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA pool. American Journal of Human Genetics, 67, 1251-1276. Online paper and supplementary data in Vincent Macaulay's home page.
Michele Belledi et al., Maternal and paternal lineages in Albania and the genetic structure of Indo-European populations, European Journal of Human Genetics, 8, 480 - 486 (01 Jul 2000)

Giuseppe Passarino et al., Different genetic components in the Norwegian population revealed by the analysis of mtDNA and Y chromosome polymorphisms, European Journal of Human Genetics10, 521 - 529 (23 Aug 2002)

Esteban J. Parra et al., Estimating African American Admixture Proportions by Use of Population-Specific Alleles, Am. J. Hum. Genet., 63:1839-1851, 1998
(a) This author does not believe that there is anything wrong in principio with either African or other non-Caucasoid influences in any European population, including the Greeks.

Some UNDENIABLES scientific facts , about Greeks and their origin , for those who r curious....

My best regards..

Isk.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 13:23
(I recall that the coming of the IE's was even remembered in Hellenic Greece, by a philosofer or something.)..................Besides, I don't know any professors have denied the existence of the IE language family

You must have misunderstood, (maybe my fault) I never rejected the existance of a IE language or some similarities that some have attempted to present as to have originated from one proto-language, what I do reject is the origin of this language.

I would love to see the name of this philosopher or the text would actually be even better, since I can assure you that there is no such thing.
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 15:34

Well what do you think is the origin of the language (we are talking proto-IE, if I'm not completely mistaken?)? What do you think on the "refugium-theory", which Pavel Dolukhanov supports?

Well, I might have misunderstood the text. It was a very old book from the 30's. I just got the impression.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 16:49
Not really familiar to him nor to his theory. What's it all about?
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 12:16
It's a theory, that there were three refugium's in Europe during the last Ice Age: Ukraine, Iberia and Balkan. There were three language families, each within its own refugium: Uralic in Ukraine, Franco-Cantabrian (predecessor language family of Basque) in Iberia, and Indo-European in Balkan. There is a thing called language status, agriculture being higher than hunter-gathering. The IE's brought agriculture to Europe via the Balkans, which they had learned from the Middle East. The Uralics, who wanted to rise in status, changed their language to IE, creating the Germanic languages. Some Franco-Cantabrians did it aswell, creating Celto-Italic languages.

Its something like that in a nutshell. I'm not sure if it is correct though, since I'm not a supporter of it, so you'd better not ask me.

I found out I have bad memory, it was actually in a web site I attend. The ancient Greek philosopher (got the spelling right...) was called Hesiodos. He speaks about a tribe, called "the Golden tribe". This is usually thought to be a pre-IE civilisation, before the Akhaians, Ionians and Dorians came to Greece. After them came five tribes:"the Silver tribe", then "the Copper tribe", the last being a violent one. Then came the Akhaians, whose "only concerns were the sinnical, violent acts of Ares." Hesiodos calls the Mycenean culture these people created "the fourth tribe". They were peaceful and highly advanced. The "fifth tribe" of Hesiodos was that of the Dorians. Hesiodos writes: "I wish I didn't belong to this fifth tribe. I wish I'd died earlier or born sooner... man robs another man's city...justice is the same as power, and honour has ceased to exist." Its from Riane Eisler's "the Chalice and the Sword", p. 98.

The IE-invasion brought devastating consequences to Europe, which had been non-militaristic and peaceful (mother goddess dominant, no significant weapon findings found). Hesiodos' text would show, that the era after the IE's was chaotic for centuries, and left a scar in the people.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 17:02
I did a little search on Riane Eisler since I didn't know of this and my results helped me understand why. This "theory" isn't very respected from what I saw, even though some sites mentioned the book as a best-seller.
Weird if you ask me.

What you mention is from Hesiods "Works and Days" and has nothing to do with invasions since there is no invasion mentioned but has to do strictly with the beliefs of  the creation of man by presenting a continuous degrade of human values.

If you read the text you'll find that the "golden race" can actually be compared to what is considered as heaven by Christianity.
Since Hesiod mentions :

"And they lived like gods without sorrow of heart, remote and free from toil and grief: miserable age rested not on them; but with legs and arms never failing they made merry with feasting beyond the reach of all evils."

We could also look at what Socrates has to say about this "golden race" in Plato's Cratylus:

"-Why, I think he means that the golden race was not made of gold, but was good and beautiful. And I regard it as a proof of this that he further says we are the iron race.
-Don't you suppose that if anyone of our day is good, Hesiod would say he was of that golden race?
-But the good are the wise, are they not?
-This, then, I think, is what he certainly means to say of the spirits: because they were wise and knowing (damones) he called them spirits (daimones) and in the old form of our language the two words are the same......."
Cratylus (398a-398e)

So we find that the "golden race" according to Socrates has to do with virtue and wisdom, If we look at Hesiod's text we find that they are virtuous, "foreign" to evil, age, violence and were honoured after death.
If we continue to "examine" Hesiod's text we find that the chance of his presenting some invasion becomes more and more obscure.

We come to the inferior to the Golden "Silver race" that Hesiod describes as (mega nepios) "a big child/he who acts childish", that did not respect the Gods, continuously sinned and wronged eachother.So Zeus did away with them. But again these even though inferior to the Golden are free to evil, violence and they too are honoured after death even if that is in the underworld.

Now if you add what the Egyptian priest told Solon in Plato's Timaeus:

"that the exploits of this city in olden days, the record of which had perished through time and the destruction of its inhabitants, were great and marvellous, the greatest of all being one which it would be proper"
(Timaeus 20e)
and
"O Solon, Solon, you Greeks are always children: there is not such a thing as an old Greek. And on hearing this he asked, What mean you by this saying? And the priest replied, You are young in soul, every one of you. For therein you possess not a single belief that is ancient and derived from old tradition, nor yet one science that is hoary with age."
(Timaeus 22b)

Don't these 2 quotes give the exact meaning of Hesiod's "Works and Days"? It's obvious that both texts mention the degenerating values of their society their memory, being free of violence, evil, being honoured after death, all lost, due to the Gods in Hesiod and in Timaeus by fire and water. (remember the deluge of Deukalion?)

Anyway, I think you get the point. There is no mention of any kind of invasion in the text. If you're interested in reading it yourself, here's a link:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3At ext%3A1999.01.0132

Edited by Phallanx
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 11:33

A very nice article about this question:

http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/articles/hellenes/

I think that blonde greeks were not impossible.

Edited by Ikki
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 04:50
Originally posted by Phallanx

Original Turks have Mongoloid features, high cheel bones, yellowish skin...... but you can find blonde, blue eyed Turks.
Yet instead of that, you find it interesting that the european characteristics can be found on a european people

Funny, but this is absolutely not true, original turks have european and caucausian features, ie high cheekbones and coloured eyes and white skin, this is the main characteristic that differs them from the mongols.. those that intermixed ended up with european features but with a a more chinese type face.. eyes nose.. (eg Kazaks,Uzbeks)
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 05:33

My father/grandfather are "kipchak Turks" who are green eyed Turks living in mountans in Kazachstan, but know were living in Afyon/Bolvadin/zburun. There's lots of Kipchak Turks living in Turkey for example Tarkan... 

OUT OF LIMIT
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 06:22
Originally posted by baracuda

Funny, but this is absolutely not true, original turks have european and caucausian features, ie high cheekbones and coloured eyes and white skin, this is the main characteristic that differs them from the mongols.. those that intermixed ended up with european features but with a a more chinese type face.. eyes nose.. (eg Kazaks,Uzbeks)

It may be true that they are a "mixture" of people as we clearly see today but genetics prove that mongoloid genes and anthropology that mongoloid features were more than obvious.

"To what extent are the Anatolians descended from Central Asian Turks? The study of Cinnioglu et al. (2004) discovered an occurrence of 3.4% of Mongoloid Y-chromosomal haplogroups in Anatolia (haplogroups Q, O, and C)."

"According to Tambets et al. (2004) the occurrence of Mongoloid haplogroups in present-day Central Asian Turkic Altaic speakers (Altaians) is at least 40%, with an additional 10% which might belong to haplogroup O which was not tested in this study. According to Zerjal et al. (2002) this percentage is for various Turkic speakers: Kyrgyz (22%), Dungans (32%), Uyghurs (33%), Kazaks (86%), Uzbeks (18%)."

"It is clear that the percentage of Mongoloid ancestry among the Turkic speakers is very variable, yet it is clear that the Proto-Turks must have been partially Mongoloid in lieu of the fact that all current Turkic speakers possess some Mongoloid admixture. The average of the six Central Asian population samples listed above is 38.5% and may serve as a first-order estimate of the paternal contribution of early Turks, who (judging by their modern descendants in Central Asia) were more Caucasoid paternally and more Mongoloid maternally."

"It would thus appear that the Turkish element is a minority one in the composition of the Anatolians, but it is by no means negligible."
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2005/02/how-turkish-are-anato lians.html

-----------------
An article on the origin of the Nogays from the Caucasus (Phylogeographic Analysis of Mitochondrial DNA in the Nogays: A Strong Mixture of Maternal Lineages from Eastern and Western Eurasia, pdf) a convenient characterization of the mtDNA of a sample of 218 Turks, taken from Richards 2000 (pdf).

In this sample, the following non-Caucasoid haplogroups were detected:
  • 2.78% of L (Negroid)
  • 0.46% of A (Mongoloid)
  • 0.46% of A (Mongoloid)
  • 1.39% of C (Mongoloid)
  • 1.85% of D (Mongoloid)
  • 0.46% of F (Mongoloid)
  • 0.46% of Y (Mongoloid)
We can also examine the non-Caucasoid admixture in Turkish patrilineages, using the large sample of 513 Anatolian Turks published by Cinnioglu (pdf), and which I previously analyzed for a different purpose here.
  • 0.38% of A (Negroid)
  • 0.19% of E3a (Negroid)
  • 0.38% of E3* (Negroid)
  • 0.38% of C*(xC3) (Mongoloid)
  • 0.96% of C3 (Mongoloid)
  • 0.19% of O3 (Mongoloid)
  • 2.87% of N*(xN3a) (Mongoloid)
  • 0.96% of N3a (Mongoloid
  • 0.19% of Q2 (Mongoloid)
  • 1.72% of Q*(xQ2) (Mongoloid)
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2005/04/non-caucasoid-admixtu re-in-turks.html

We know of the fact that the Turks at some time during their "migrations" from C.Asia had "settled" at what is known as Russian Siberia is enough to understand exactly how they obtained the Caucasian features. No objection to that. But the fact that they left C.Asia at some time indicates that they were predominantly Mongoilian.

Here are some examples of Ottoman Sultans I found. If you ask me they they do have Mongoloid features.

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 07:37

Edited by baracuda
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 08:22
Actually Russians today strive to prove anything, from the beginning of civilization to connections to various people. I've seen no non-Russian source to support their theories as strongly as they do by rejecting any other "version" even though they seem more probable.

I don't understand were you find the 5000yr date and I never mentioned any Russian people (as we mean tody) . I said :
 " during their "migrations" from C.Asia had "settled" at what is known as Russian Siberia is enough to understand exactly how they obtained the Caucasian features."
So you must have misunderstood.

I don't understand what "his personal cultural views" have to do with genetic research and of course he'd select a reletively small number, did you probably expect he'd use genetic results of 70.000.000 Turks????

Every single research is done in a similar way, they select a number of "specimens" from North, another from South....... and so on. It is impossible to compare the whole population.

As for Makedonians, Spartans and Athenians (not to mention the rest) not being the ancestors of the "modern" Hellines. I suggest you read Isk's post above and when you're done, should you feel you need more info, I'll be more than happy to present Y-chromosomes, anthropologic reports, you name it, you got it.

I've heard of a Negroid genes theory but Arabic????? Please.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 09:16

Edited by baracuda
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:28
The "Afanasevs and the Andronovs" you mention, I must admit this is the first I've ever heard of them, maybe some spelling mistake prevents my finding any info on them cause all I came up with were these used as last names and not to describe any kind of "tribe/people".

As for DNA, everything is proven to have it's origin, without actually knowing alot about DNA, MtDNA, Y.......
In any simple search we find that:

"The Haplogroup I, I1, and I1a lineages are nearly completely restricted to northwestern Europe. These would most likely have been common within Viking populations. One lineage of this group extends down into central Europe."

"I1a with ancestry in the British Isles and 22 at DYS390 then more likely Saxon origin. If I1a and 23 at DYS390 then more likely Norse origin"

"The ancestors of Haplogroup I (defined by the P19 and M170 genetic markers) arrived from the Middle East 20,000 to 25,000 years ago and are associated with the Gravettian culture."

"Haplogroup "I" is found in Central and Eastern Europe, but also accounts for almost all the HG2s in Northern Europe and the British Isles."

So as you see scientists have mananged to "uncover" where and when these "elements" came from. So there would be no chance of any Russian naming the genes Arabic when they are of Mongoloid orign. Unless he knew even less than I do, which wouldn't make him much of a scientist

I remeber there was a member here, not sure about his name though, I think it was Sarukin (or something like that), that could really help out on the DNA part of this discussion.

Anyway, on your example of living in Turkey, that is the whole point. To state you are a totally pure nation is at least stupid, which was the reason I posted the pics. Every single "people" have been influenced, assimilated others...... ''' in general, not totally "pure", but neither can such an instance be rejected when based on scientific evidence, such as DNA and anthropologic finds.

Putting up one pic in comparison to a statue means nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>