Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

did western and east roman empires fight against each other?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did western and east roman empires fight against each other?
    Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 09:47
There were several civil wars in Rome's final years where ambitious generals were proclaimed "emperor," grabbed large tracts of land, and marched on Rome to seize power
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 21:51
Originally posted by Komnenos

...The western part collapsed shortly after.

And yet get's all the glory...

(refering to how the East is generally ignored)
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 09:18
Originally posted by Jazz

I've read about the 423 episode, but isn't that more of the East side
taking a side in a cival war? It is not like the East and the
West had openly declared war against each other.

You're right. It wasn't really a full blown war, just a rather minor affair in a civil dispute. I guess there wasn't really time enough for the two Empires to go to war against each other. The western part collapsed shortly after.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 23:01
ok, it's just like the han empire in the east where there were lots of civil conflicts between different interest groups fought for being the emperor.
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 15:21
Hmmm, I took his question to mean after the final split of the Empire in 395....

I've read about the 423 episode, but isn't that more of the East side taking a side in a cival war?  It is not like the East and the West had openly declared war against each other.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 11:47
In 423, after Emperor (of the West) Honorius' , son of Theodosios the Great, death, a Roman noble Johannes, who was not a member of the royal family, seized the throne. The East Roman Emperor Theodisios II sent an expedition force to Italy which besieged, took and sacked Ravenna, then capital of the West Roman Empire. The usurper Johannes was captured and executed, and Valentinian III, nephew of Honorius and cousin of Theodosios was installed on the West Roman throne.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 19:05
did western and east roman empires fight against each other?

Yes.

When Constantine became emperor of the West, he then conquered the emperor of the East to become sole emperor. Decades later, When Julian became emperor of the west, the emperor of the east felt threatened by his power and declared war on Julian (but the eastern emperor died of fever before the battle). Julian then became sole emperor of both east and west. The East and West were united and then divided several (or at least a few) times, until 395, when Theodoseius ruled as the the last sole emperor of a united East and West. Although the East and West did fight each other, destruction was relatively low in such conflicts because such wars were not between two empires but between two emperors amist a political feud.

By 400s, both sides were busy fighting usurpers and barbarians and at many times, too disorganized to fight each other. I can't think there was any significant conflicts between the East and West after 400.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 04:25
I'm pretty sure they never fought each other at all.  The Eastern Emperors did, with their vast sums of gold, pay off Hunnic and Germanic tribes that were harassing the Danube frontier from Pannonia to the Black Sea to leave them alone and go off somewhere else.  This somewhere else was the Western Empire.

Even after the fall of the Western Empire, the Eastern Emperors still tried to play a diplomatic games between the Germanic kindoms playing them off against each other.  This went as far late as the arrival of the Avars in the 6th century.

Originally posted by coolstorm

it's even later here in ma.

i thought emperor justinian's conquest of italy and the west took place after east roman empire collapsed. they basically fought the barbarians. tell me if i'm wrong.

You are correct here. 

But one point:  Emperor Zeno (I think) enlisted Theodoric the Ostrogoth to get rid of Odovacer, who was then in Italy.  The Ostrogoths were in the western Balkans.  Theodoric did this in the name of the Eastern Empire, but soon took controls of things himself once he settled in Italy.  There is some thought that Zeno only encouraged this move of the Ostrogoths to Italy to get them out of the Balkans (again, away from the Eastern Frontier) and hoping that Odovacer and Theodoric would wear each other out in Italy.  The latter was able to win quite quickly.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 02:44

it's even later here in ma.

i thought emperor justinian's conquest of italy and the west took place after east roman empire collapsed. they basically fought the barbarians. tell me if i'm wrong.

���DZj�~�� ��������
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 02:40
Hi Coolstorm
It is late here in Washington State so my brain is mush but I know under Emperor Justinian the Byzantine Empire made an attempt to reconquer the west and even reclaimed parts of Italy but that would take a little time and research.
John Julius Norwhich is a great historian.
I suppose you could do an internet search but I am careful about sources from the internet.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 02:34
i'm curious.
���DZj�~�� ��������
 Post Reply Post Reply