Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

America--great--so fast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: America--great--so fast
    Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 13:27
what's your thoughts on how America became so great SO FAST...was it more about people with zeal/know how to make a better life/adventure/etc or the great and vast resources of the land???
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 13:44
Originally posted by BIG D

what's your thoughts on how America became so great SO FAST...was it more about people with zeal/know how to make a better life/adventure/etc or the great and vast resources of the land???

After World War II, the only industrialized nation not touched by the war was the United States. While Europe and Japan were devastated, this allowed the United States to take the lead. Thats the shortest explanation.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 28-Oct-2010 at 13:44
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 13:55
The USA was not only mostly untouched by most of the horrow of war in WW II but all from the same in WW I!

So I would include these two great conflicts as the reason(s) for America's later dominance!

But, in general I would agree with TGS!

Editing this post, I would also suggest that America's own Civil War, and its earlier conflict with Napolean/Mexico, also gave America as a potential powerful opponent to all of the world!

It is even potentially true to suppose that if America had not retreated behind its walls of Oceans, that at least one of these great World Wars might well have not occurred!

Of course being blessed with a nation of abundant natural resources, as well as a religiously inspired work ethic, helped also!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 28-Oct-2010 at 14:01
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 07:57
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

After World War II, the only industrialized nation not touched by the war was the United States. While Europe and Japan were devastated, this allowed the United States to take the lead. Thats the shortest explanation.
was not the US great[[or up there near the big ones]] before WWII??....big navy, industrial, maritime power, agriculture, etc????ty 4 r
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 08:04
Originally posted by opuslola

The USA was not only mostly untouched by most of the horrow of war in WW II but all from the same in WW I!

So I would include these two great conflicts as the reason(s) for America's later dominance!

But, in general I would agree with TGS!

Editing this post, I would also suggest that America's own Civil War, and its earlier conflict with Napolean/Mexico, also gave America as a potential powerful opponent to all of the world!

It is even potentially true to suppose that if America had not retreated behind its walls of Oceans, that at least one of these great World Wars might well have not occurred!

Of course being blessed with a nation of abundant natural resources, as well as a religiously inspired work ethic, helped also!

Regards,
 VERY interesting, your religious work ethic deal----I don't have much time now, but I would like to add ANY type of work ethic.....is this a/the difference???maybe this is another thread, but was that work ethic truly from religion??more later---ty
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 11:23

And also the Napoleonic wars. 

With the exception of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, the United States has never been invaded and never needed to maintain large standing armies for use against capable opponents.  Even the "invasion" during the War of 1812 was more like a well planned and well excecuted raid than a true invasion. 
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 12:22

was not the US great[[or up there near the big ones]] before WWII??....big navy, industrial, maritime power, agriculture, etc????ty 4 r

No, the United States did not maintain large armies or large navies because it never needed to. There was never a real threat of invasion of the US mainland. The United States is protected by two massive oceans and its neighbors to the north and south were very weak.

The US has become the power it is only since WWII.

Economically however, the US was a power house because it had advantages no other country possessed (i.e no need for large armies, no major devastating wars, large territory full of natural resources, etc...)
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 13:12

No, the United States did not maintain large armies or large navies because it never needed to. There was never a real threat of invasion of the US mainland. The United States is protected by two massive oceans and its neighbors to the north and south were very weak.

The US has become the power it is only since WWII.

Economically however, the US was a power house because it had advantages no other country possessed (i.e no need for large armies, no major devastating wars, large territory full of natural resources, etc...)
yes, I meant, wasn't it getting to be[or was] an economic power ..but also it's navy wasn't small--how many countries had aircraft carriers pre 1939???the US had at least six..by maritime, I mean civilian ships...the industrialization/agriculture/transportation-roads/etc...this is what I meant.....the immigrants brought ideas/know how...were these immigrants more apt to be more industrious/hard working???
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 13:52

yes, I meant, wasn't it getting to be[or was] an economic power

I believe it had the biggest economy in the world, unless you include the British and French Empires as a whole (as opposed to just the economy of Britain or just the economy of France).

..but also it's navy wasn't small--how many countries had aircraft carriers pre 1939???the US had at least six..

I dont think the United States had as big a navy as Britain or France prior to WWI. I could be wrong on this.

immigrants brought ideas/know how...were these immigrants more apt to be more industrious/hard working???

The United States did attract a lot of immigrants which provided a work force for its factories and other economic sectors. But I dont think this is the main reason for the United States' economic and industrial growth.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 18:00

yes, I meant, wasn't it getting to be[or was] an economic power

I believe it had the biggest economy in the world, unless you include the British and French Empires as a whole (as opposed to just the economy of Britain or just the economy of France).

..but also it's navy wasn't small--how many countries had aircraft carriers pre 1939???the US had at least six..

I dont think the United States had as big a navy as Britain or France prior to WWI. I could be wrong on this.

immigrants brought ideas/know how...were these immigrants more apt to be more industrious/hard working???

The United States did attract a lot of immigrants which provided a work force for its factories and other economic sectors. But I dont think this is the main reason for the United States' economic and industrial growth.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 18:09

maybe not as many ships, but I believe more carriers than the French, and the US navy was not small

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 18:26
I beleive America had a pretty good fleet before WW I, do any of you remember the "Great White Fleet" and Dewey?

And, yes America had a pretty good sized fleet in 1939! It was though probably second to Japans in the Pacific, and second or third in the Atlantic!
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2010 at 10:07

I beleive America had a pretty good fleet before WW I, do any of you remember the "Great White Fleet" and Dewey?

And, yes America had a pretty good sized fleet in 1939! It was though probably second to Japans in the Pacific, and second or third in the Atlantic!
yes, so from, let's say 1492, in less than 500 years, they colonized, and built up a great empire...
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2010 at 15:52
I will vote for the greatness of the US being the vast resources, which are now depleted.  How wonderful it would be to have everything free for the taking, at the same human consciousness was developed enough to advance technologies and world markets.

Surely the US's geographical position, outside of the fighting common to Europe, was a huge advantage, but this would not have been that great of an advantage if it had not been for the vast farm lands that could feed both the US and Europe, and the industry dependent on mineral resources that could be locally obtained.   The advantage here is two fold.  The first is the psychological advantage of having the much abundance provided by god/nature.  Second, is the the material and economy reality that achieving the good possible.   People didn't have to sell their children to the factory, because they could move west and own enough land to be self sufficient.  That is one hack of an advantage.   No one told them want to do, or denied them a livelihood because of the human problems that divided management from laborers.  Mother nature is a tyrant and she doesn't care if who dies.  You play by her rules or you are dead.  But something is something a whole lot cleaner and empowering in dealing with her, then in dealing with humans in the city. 

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2010 at 17:00
Athena/Carol wrote above;

"I will vote for the greatness of the US being the vast resources, which are now depleted."

I would suggest that our vast resources are still mostly available!

Vast amounts of "coal" and "shale oil" as well as the old fashioned variants still exist in N. America!

Depletion is merely in the eye of the "Green Eyed Monster", like Al Gore and his crew!!

It is people who believe that the Republicans stole the election from Gore, in Florida, when in truth, if Gore had just been able to collect the "Electorial Votes" of his home state of Tennessee he would have been elected!

I wonder why his own home state deserted him? Just guess?

Historicallly stolen or illegal voting is mostly in the vanguard of the Democrats rather than the Repubilicans! If Dick Nixon had challegned the vote when Kennedy was declared president, then all of those dead / illegal Democrat votes, in both Illinois and Texas might well have been thrown out, and there would never have been President J. F. Kennedy?

Sorry! He is not a hero of mine! But, neither is Nixon!

Edited by opuslola - 30-Oct-2010 at 17:01
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2010 at 17:53
Originally posted by Athena

I will vote for the greatness of the US being the vast resources, which are now depleted.  How wonderful it would be to have everything free for the taking, at the same human consciousness was developed enough to advance technologies and world markets.

Surely the US's geographical position, outside of the fighting common to Europe, was a huge advantage, but this would not have been that great of an advantage if it had not been for the vast farm lands that could feed both the US and Europe, and the industry dependent on mineral resources that could be locally obtained.   The advantage here is two fold.  The first is the psychological advantage of having the much abundance provided by god/nature.  Second, is the the material and economy reality that achieving the good possible.   People didn't have to sell their children to the factory, because they could move west and own enough land to be self sufficient.  That is one hack of an advantage.   No one told them want to do, or denied them a livelihood because of the human problems that divided management from laborers.  Mother nature is a tyrant and she doesn't care if who dies.  You play by her rules or you are dead.  But something is something a whole lot cleaner and empowering in dealing with her, then in dealing with humans in the city. 

This is true, The United States vast abundance of natural resources is a major factor of why its the economic power house it is. Also, you are correct in mentioning that the large "available" territories helped as well in terms of population growth.

Countries such as Japan and German are limited in their growth do to their size/lack of lots of natural resources. China's growth will eventually become constrained when they start finding it hard to feed their economy due to lack of natural resources.

Today we are seeing a new type of imperialism, where powerful nation states are doing whatever they can to secure natural resources for the future. China is already very successful in Africa.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 30-Oct-2010 at 17:56
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2010 at 13:03

Originally posted by Athena

This is true, The United States vast abundance of natural resources is a major factor of why its the economic power house it is. Also, you are correct in mentioning that the large "available" territories helped as well in terms of population growth.

Countries such as Japan and German are limited in their growth do to their size/lack of lots of natural resources. China's growth will eventually become constrained when they start finding it hard to feed their economy due to lack of natural resources.

Today we are seeing a new type of imperialism, where powerful nation states are doing whatever they can to secure natural resources for the future. China is already very successful in Africa.
yet isn't Japan an economic powerhouse???Germany isn't too shabby either..I see[and admire] Germany's and Japan's cultures as part of the reason they've done so well....[[so I'm not that Rst.']]
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2010 at 17:18
Japan and Germany are powerhouses, but their growth is limited to their size and amount of natural resources they poses.

For example, Japan is severely lacking in major natural resources such as oil, minerals, etc... This limits their capacity for growth (and was a major factor of why they attacked the United States and expanded in Asia in the first place).

For example, just recently, Japan had to sign a deal with vietnam for rare earth minerals because China, the largest supplier of this important natural resources (used to make high tech equipment) refused to sell any to Japan due to territorial disputes.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2010 at 19:27
Yes, yes, all of the above postings are mostly correct!

Good work from all of you!!!

Regards,
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2010 at 13:06

Japan and Germany are powerhouses, but their growth is limited to their size and amount of natural resources they poses.

For example, Japan is severely lacking in major natural resources such as oil, minerals, etc... This limits their capacity for growth (and was a major factor of why they attacked the United States and expanded in Asia in the first place).

For example, just recently, Japan had to sign a deal with vietnam for rare earth minerals because China, the largest supplier of this important natural resources (used to make high tech equipment) refused to sell any to Japan due to territorial disputes.
of course, AND considering your points, Germany and Japan do EXTREMELY well per GNP--with Germany just behind China and Japan just ahead[[2009]]--and this is my question from before, how do they do so well WITHOUT the things you mention[natural resources,etc.??ty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>