Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

white man evil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white man evil
    Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 13:31
how come we never hear of the NAs making war/raping/muder/torture/destroying other NA tribes??
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 21:00
There were Native American tribes that were very brutal. Infact, genocide wasnt uncommon on the North American continent.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 21:45
how come we don't hear of this??..all I hear, especially from certain people, is how the white man was evil...
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 03:11
I think reading about a topic before posting generalisations is a good idea. American Indians killed each other pretty liberally in wars and inter tribal raids. Villages were wiped out and typically all male inhabitants killed and females ritually raped then sold as slaves.

The Commanches more so than most.

The Anasazi also went one further, they were cannibals.

NA also technically includes Mexico so mass genocide can be included into the mix,

Edited by Pytheus - 20-Oct-2010 at 03:16
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by Pytheus

I think reading about a topic before posting generalisations is a good idea. American Indians killed each other pretty liberally in wars and inter tribal raids. Villages were wiped out and typically all male inhabitants killed and females ritually raped then sold as slaves.

The Commanches more so than most.

The Anasazi also went one further, they were cannibals.

NA also technically includes Mexico so mass genocide can be included into the mix,

You should follow your own advice Pyth.  It's not known if Cannibalism was practiced by the Anasazi, or if it was an invading group from outside.  There is only the evidence of it, but nothing to indicate who.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 11:02
Originally posted by Pytheus

This was especially true of the Great Lakes region.  French observers quickly noted that the goal of inter tribal warfare was often not retaliation raiding, but the complete destruction of the rival tribe. 
Originally posted by BIG D

how come we never hear of the NAs making war/raping/muder/torture/destroying other NA tribes??
Mostly political correctness.  After years of negative stereotype, the pendulum has now swung towards positive stereotypes (Dancing with Wolves type political correctness.

The information, however, is available one just needs to look for it.  Here is a story of an terrible incident between the  Navajo  and the Apache.  

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Oct-2010 at 11:11
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 12:19
Originally posted by Cryptic

Mostly political correctness.  After years of negative stereotype, the pendulum has now swung towards positive stereotypes (Dancing with Wolves type political correctness.

The information, however, is available one just needs to look for it.  Here is a story of an terrible incident between the  Navajo  and the Apache.  

Um... I dont know what either of you are talking about, I was taught about the brutality exhibited amongst some Native American tribes in school. No one kept that a secret from me because of "political correctness".

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 20-Oct-2010 at 12:19
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 12:52
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Um... I dont know what either of you are talking about, I was taught about the brutality exhibited amongst some Native American tribes in school. No one kept that a secret from me because of "political correctness".
I was not so fortuatae.  The education I received mentioned inter tribal warfare in the USA only in passing. Even then, it weas suggested that "counting coup" was the norm. Some teachers even informed me that Native Americans learned the true warfare from  the Europeans. 

I even remember reading the discredited "Chief Seattle" speeches regarding buffalos and uhmmm.... "eco-wisdom" (the real Chief Seattle never saw a buffalo and may, or may not have possessed modern views on ecology).  

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 13:08
Perhaps its the fact that Native American history and civilization is hardly talked about that inter tribal warfare was simply mentioned in passing? I'm sure that no course in Native American history would ever leave out such things. Dont blame political correctness, blame the "insignificance" of Native American history in our education system.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 12:46
I just heard it AGAIN a few days ago, how the white man stole  land and killed the NAs...most of what I hear/heard is negative towards white, but not NAs
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 13:16

I just heard it AGAIN a few days ago, how the white man stole  land and killed the NAs...most of what I hear/heard is negative towards white, but not NAs

Well, the white man did steal land from and killed Native Americans....thats just as much historical fact as the brutality of Native Americans against one another.
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 16:14

Take your fingers out of your ears.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 18:23

Big D check out War of a Thousand Deserts: Indian Raids and the U.S.-Mexican War by Brian Delay

What happened at Wooded Knee was a common practice in inter-tribal warfare with the Plains tribes. The author goes into great detail but try your public library first, save $$$

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2010 at 10:31

I think noone exactly denies that also Amerindians could be cruel and wage war to each other. Earlier in Euro American propaganda such teachings were actually quite common and mostly overly exaggerated. It was in the interest of the western society to try to rationalize its genocidal behaviour against Amerindian peoples.

Today many scholars take a more moderate approach to the subject and try to evaluate these things more objectively.

What one often forget in comparing intertribal warfare with the onslaught on the amerindians from western society, is that  the later in the long run were of a much greater scale, and its consequences were more profound. The western colonisation, warfare, massacres and genocidal activities had a much larger impact.

Combined with the diseases spread by the westerners it would have much greater effect on the Native American demographics. Entire tribes disappeared, entire cultures were destroyed. The Amerindians lost their land, got displaced, exterminated or forcefully assimilated on a scale that was unheard of before. The destruction reached a magnitude that was unprecedented.

Also one shall not forget that many conflicts among Amerindians escalated because of the pressure from the colonialists. The colonialists managed to divide and rule and create conflicts among the native groups. These groups were dragged into the conflicts between European powers or different sides in Euro American internal conflicts.

So even if there were conflicts and cruelties among Amerindian peoples, those conflicts are dwarfed by the brutal impact of European, western civilisation.

Edited by Carcharodon - 23-Oct-2010 at 10:48
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 12:48
Originally posted by eaglecap

Big D check out War of a Thousand Deserts: Indian Raids and the U.S.-Mexican War by Brian Delay

What happened at Wooded Knee was a common practice in inter-tribal warfare with the Plains tribes. The author goes into great detail but try your public library first, save $$$ TY --I always go to the library[instead of a store]..I can get 99% of any subject I want....

BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 12:56
hey PYTH, I go to Fox news,CNN,Local, Chicago tribune, PBS,NPR, and NOT once have I seen ANY thing about HATE towards whites....no matter WHAT, it's always about hate/poor/victims colored peoples...how the Chinese in SanFrisco were discriminated against, also the NAs, the AAs, etc.....never how THEY do wrong....thye've NEVER done wrong....only whites.....
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 13:26

hey PYTH, I go to Fox news,CNN,Local, Chicago tribune, PBS,NPR, and NOT once have I seen ANY thing about HATE towards whites....no matter WHAT, it's always about hate/poor/victims colored peoples...how the Chinese in SanFrisco were discriminated against, also the NAs, the AAs, etc.....never how THEY do wrong....thye've NEVER done wrong....only whites.....

Maybe its because Whites make up 70% of the American population and racism against white is rarely public nor actually deter's or prevents whites from accomplishing anything?

Minority racism is hardly ever a serious issue whereas the oppression of a minority by the majority has much dire consequences. Also, in the United States, given its history, more people are sensitive to White racism because of the horrible things that Whites did to minorities for over 250 years.

Do you kind of get what I'm saying? All racism is wrong, but its usually the minority who suffer the most.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 26-Oct-2010 at 13:28
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 20:55
Thanks TGS for somewhat of an apology or explanation!
Maybe you should try it again?

Possibly you might well get it correct the second time?

You have obviously not ever been in Jackson, MS!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 26-Oct-2010 at 20:56
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2010 at 13:19
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Maybe its because Whites make up 70% of the American population and racism against white is rarely public nor actually deter's or prevents whites from accomplishing anything?

Minority racism is hardly ever a serious issue whereas the oppression of a minority by the majority has much dire consequences. Also, in the United States, given its history, more people are sensitive to White racism because of the horrible things that Whites did to minorities for over 250 years.

Do you kind of get what I'm saying? All racism is wrong, but its usually the minority who suffer the most.
extremely logical points here, brief and to the point...ty
 Post Reply Post Reply