Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exceptional Artifacts From Cahokia Mounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exceptional Artifacts From Cahokia Mounds
    Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 09:49
We often see Cohokia talked about and used as examples of this and that.  How many of us have actually looked at the culture in more than a glancing manner? Researching for my own "Quest" [more on that at a later dateWink] I've found a series of very good sites relating to the Mound Builders of Cohokia.  Many of these have actual site pics showing the artifacts in situ.  I'm posting some of these but to get a full overview, go to the site.

Pytheus, you'll be particulaly interested.

CLICK ON PICTURE FOR LARGER IMAGE
OWNED BY THE PEOPLE OF ILLINOIS
NUMBER 1550 CACHE OF POINTS
MOUND 72
A.D. 1000
CAHOKIA MOUNDS STATE HISTORIC SITE
ST. CLAIR COUNTY, ILLINOIS

This picture shows one of the two caches of arrow points recovered from primary mound 1. It contains 332 points and it has the highest number of different point types. Fowler identified nine out of a total of eleven different types in this cache. The most common type is represented by 108 black (type X) Scallorn points made of Pitkin chert. The next highest number is represented by 91 (type VII) serrated Madison points made of Burlington, Mill Creek and Kaolin cherts. The third highest number are 69 (type I) triple-notched serrated and un-serrated Cahokia points made from white Burlington, pink High Ridge variety of Burlington and a brown chert that is either Elco or Dover/Fort Payne chert. There were also 37 (type IX) double-notched serrated points in this cache,  14 (type V) un-named corner-notched recurved blade edge points, 8 (type XI) un-named triple-notched edge and base serrated points, 3 (type IV) un-named wide corner-notched points, 1 (type VIII) triple-notched serrated Cahokia point, and 1 (type III) Agee point. The longest point is the red serrated Madison at lower left, it measures 2 13/16 inches (7.1 cm) long.

Edited by red clay - 19-Oct-2010 at 13:39
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 12:41

Wow, the way they were found would seem to indicate that points were manufactured in "factories" by specialized craftsmen.  I always just assumed that earch amer-indian hunter just made his own when he needed one.

BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 13:27
CAHOKIA--with an a???
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 13:40
Yes, Cahokia with an a.  Why?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 13:59
Originally posted by Cryptic

Wow, the way they were found would seem to indicate that points were manufactured in "factories" by specialized craftsmen.  I always just assumed that earch amer-indian hunter just made his own when he needed one.

The majority of them had actually been shafted and in Quivers or bundles.  All materials having been organic in nature have disappeared with time. 

I agree, these artifacts were produced by the very best craftsmen they had.  It's even more apparent in the smaller collections-

This grouping is labeled as "Exotic" in form.

These points were not knapped out by your everyday joe.  The chert used to make these came from as far as 500 miles from the site.  Some are obviously a statement made by the craftsman who made them, ie. yes, I'm that good.Wink
Unknown.
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 21:47
I see it spelled with an 'o' twice
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 21:49
have you been there??..it is really nice, especially to see the river from the mound...
 Post Reply Post Reply