Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A new secular calendar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new secular calendar?
    Posted: 04-Oct-2010 at 02:18
Its something that I think of every now and then. If we could create for the world one secular calendar that everyone could use, upon what historical event would it be based? Should it be based on a historical event?

I know, at least, of the Christian and Muslim dating systems (based respectively around the birth of Jesus and Mohammed's return to (or flight from?) Mecca.). I also know of the BCE-CE set up, which (for practical reasons) is really only the Christian dating system masked by different terms.

Tossing aside worldly practicality concerns, is there a single historical year or event that has proven itself important for the entire world and could be used as a "turnover date"? Or perhaps we should opt for an entirely different system---with no turnover date.

My idea would be a calendar based around 1500 CE, or the permanent arrival of Europeans in the New World. This event would spark off a process that would not only tremendously effect the two American continents, but would also drastically effect Eurasia and Africa. And not only historically, but also ecologically. Furthermore, it was immediately prior, and forever after, this date on the Christian calendar that the world really saw a certain "globalization"; a trend which continues to this day. The Mongolian Empire, the Chinese treasure fleets, the Portuguese and Ottoman expansion in the Indian ocean and Africa, and of course the 'discovery' of the Americas by the Spanish and Genoese provide a pretty powerful prologue the globalization we see following 1500.

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas about this.

All I know is that the traditional calendar year dates need to be reformed. Especially since, in regards to the Christian calendar at least, the "turnover date" seems to be inaccurate to its namesake, as most scholars now believe Jesus was born several years before the Christian calendar's 1 AD (CE).
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2010 at 15:28
The fact is that history is being revealed everyday by new researches and discoveries, maybe the discovery of the Americas was an important event some hundreds years ago but we already know many things about the peoples who lived there thousands years before the European discovery, even there are claims of prior discoveries, so it can't be considered as a very important event in the history, I think we need an older date, it can be interesting to read what Hegel says: http://www.suite101.com/content/hegels-world-spirit-and-individual-freedom-a102924
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2010 at 23:31
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

Its something that I think of every now and then. If we could create for the world one secular calendar that everyone could use, upon what historical event would it be based? Should it be based on a historical event?
Perhaps making an an astronomical event the "0" year would be more nueteral.  
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

I know, at least, of the Christian and Muslim dating systems (based respectively around the birth of Jesus and Mohammed's return to (or flight from?) Mecca.). I also know of the BCE-CE set up, which (for practical reasons) is really only the Christian dating system masked by different terms.
The Japanese, Persians, and Jews also have long standing dating systems with different "0" years.

Edited by Cryptic - 09-Oct-2010 at 23:36
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2010 at 20:26
maybe the discovery of the Americas was an important event some hundreds years ago but we already know many things about the peoples who lived there thousands years before the European discovery, even there are claims of prior discoveries, so it can't be considered as a very important event in the history,

I was distinctly trying to avoid the word 'discovery', because we know it to be a Eurocentric term and inaccurate. In any case, I'm not satisfied with this response cause I feel it doesn't get to the heart of my argument. To make my self clear, I am not vouching for the 'discovery' as much as I am for the date as being useful as marking an end to a 'regional world' and the beginning of a more globalized one. Hereafter, major events shaped many, many more people's lives than they ever did before. It is a event that is excellently representational of the processes that affected everyone on the globe, more or less, within the decades and centuries following.

Americas: Saw a vast number of societies collapse or thrown into chaos. The continent was invaded by germs, domesticated animals, and numerous other flora and fauna which forever altered the continent's ecosystem. The demographic also shifted as large numbers of people from Europe and Africa eventually displaced many native inhabitants.

Europe: Europe would experience a brief rise in unprecedented power, wealth, and influence over the world stage. This was accompanied by the replacement of traditional ruling authorities. Much more importantly, Europe's position allowed it to preside over the industrial revolution, resulting in dramatic population increases (first for Europe, then for the rest of the world). Europe also participated in the Colombian Exchange, receiving plants and animals that would forever alter its ecology.

Africa: In addition to participating in the Colombian Exchange, Africa would, like the Americas, experience traumatic collapse of societies followed by the creation of new ones. East and North Africa would lose their economic position and a vast amount of wealth. West and South Africa would experience tremendous social turmoil and depopulation. In the long term, however, Africa would experience population increases and the corresponding greater exploitation of the land.

Asia: The Colombian Exchange and temporary rise in European power would have both long and short term effects on the continent. Traditionally ahead of Europe in terms of technology and wealth, Asia would experience upheavals, loss of wealth, and the collapse of societies. Asia would also see dramatic population increases over the long term.

Austrailia: Similar to America, native societies would experience severe upheavals with the arrival of Europeans as well as the extinction or depopulation of native life forms accompanied by the invasion of new species.

I think we need an older date, it can be interesting to read what Hegel says:

I agree an older date would be preferable. However, there are these problems:
1) Lack of exact dating.
2) The 'regional' nature of events (for example, the collapse of the Roman Empire was very important in Europe, but considerably less important in Asia and Africa, and of practically no importance to the Americas and Australia. Or, in another example, agriculture evolved in several places in isolation, making a rough date for the first development of agriculture to be inherently regional)

As far as Hegal goes, I feel his organization of history is too based on philosophical concepts and not enough on historical or archaeological ones. I also feel it is too restricted to provide an accurate measure on which to gauge the entire range of historical experience.

Perhaps making an an astronomical event the "0" year would be more nueteral.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Not sure what to choose though. Perhaps if it had a regular reappearance, human history could be divided into ages. It would seem rather arbitrary though. Though I'm beginning to expect any "0" year date may come out that way some how.

Edited by ConradWeiser - 10-Oct-2010 at 20:48
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 14:20
I think it is not important that all countries were directly involved or not, there were some events in the history which can be said to be important for all countries of the world, like the formation of the first civilization. You can never find a specific date in history that some important events happened in all around the world, the period that you are talking about, can be called either "age of discovery" or "age of colonialism", the most important event was that some countries were either discovered or colonized by the Europeans.

Post Reply Post Reply