Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran in WWII?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran in WWII?
    Posted: 07-Apr-2005 at 23:32

I know that the British and Soviets invaded Iran in either 1940 or 41 because the shah wasn't anti-Axis enough for them, but: What exactly were the Iranians doing or not doing to irritate the Allies? Can anyone tell me how the Iranians dealt with the Germans or Italians before they were invaded? Were they too friendly, or not hostile enough, for the British and Soviets to tolerate them?

Were the Iranians going to let the Germans use their territory or establish a base somewhere, like the Iraqis were until their government was brought under control by the British?

And, is it true that the Soviets stayed for a while in Iranian Azerbaijan after Iran was bullied into being more anti-Axis?

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 01:05
Reza Shah had a close relation with Hitler, and Hitler had a personal respect for Reza Shah. During WWII Reza Shah asked Hitler to let some Jews come to Iran, Hitler accepted (out of respect), Shah sent Iranian passports and jews came to Iran. During this time USSR and Britain had a major power in the country, the British sent military help and medical aids from the south (in Persian Gulf) to the north (Azerbaijan) to help the Soviets to fight the Germans, but it had no effect on Germany-Iran relations. In Iran, there were no military conflict between Iran's army and allies', In fact, Iran was a neutral country.

About the people, Iranians mostly had some of a crush on Germany!, the main reason would be that they saw the foreign armies in their country therefore, some sort of "dislike ness" appeared among people, and the second reason was the "Aryan" matter.

After the war was over, British and Soviets found Iran with no backup, therefore, Britain sent Reza Shah on an exile, to an island in Caspian Sea, where he died.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 07:03
        I think there was a German commando mission when the British seized Iran about taking over the oil fields.
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 10:00
During WWII? I'm not sure, but I believe there was one German officer among partisans some years between 1912 to 1921 (not too sure).
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:13
There were about 100,000 German personnel in Iran before the Soviets and British invaded they demanded that Reza Shah deport them, he refused and that was the basis of the invasion.
 Post Reply Post Reply