Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USSR or USA?Which one do you favor most?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: USA OR USSR? Who is your daddy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [23.53%]
65 [76.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USSR or USA?Which one do you favor most?
    Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 09:09
Well you can add many aspects; Cold War, Economic Power, Nuclear Power, Culture, Space Race,Sports and so on...I would go for USSR since it made more sensible decisions than USA in foreign policy. (Except attacking Afghanistan and spreading in Europe)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 10:21
Yes,  but I heard the leader of Russia came to America and thought we were playing a propoganda war because of all the things we had(supermarkets,  the road systems).
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 10:47

USA all the way.  Better dead than red!

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 14:56
You would think a turk would appreciate what the U.S. did for his nation during the cold war. Who had missile silos and air bases in Turkey then?  Who was the driving force in N.A.T.O?(Be honest with yourself in answering that).
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 14:58

Originally posted by Gallipoli

Well you can add many aspects; Cold War, Economic Power, Nuclear Power, Culture, Space Race,Sports and so on...I would go for USSR since it made more sensible decisions than USA in foreign policy. (Except attacking Afghanistan and spreading in Europe)

Look at where the countries affiliated with the US are today, and where countries under USSR domination are.  Especially the Balkans and Central Asia.  Wheras the US's allies like Germany, Japan, South Korea are developed and much more free and prosperous.  Also dont forget the gulags and the complete lack of free political expression in the Soviet Union.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 17:41
I support none bcuz i'm anti globalizationist
Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 17:46
USA...why?  THey friken won the cold war...
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 17:54
They both made some bad decisions, and affecting some countries quite severely... but I'll say USA... they are and have been our allies for 50+ years now... and have not done us wrong.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:20
Attack of iraq via unreliable sources is not wrong?
Grrr..
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:34
I prefer the USA even though she made many mistakes like spreading her influence a bit too far.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:38
He said They have done HIM no wrong, as in Australia. And how about the Iraqi people who will soon get to choose their own leaders FOR THE FIRST TIME! And they will get to try,convict, and EXECUTE their former opressor, torturer,murderer, etc...  You liberals love to rail about how you are for the litle man, the poor oppressed peoples of the world, but why is it you always side against the Iraqi and Aphgani peoples? If you had your way, the taliban would still be killing woman for showing their ankles and the Iraqi olimpic team would be fearing for their lives!
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 20:13
   I voted for the US, of course...

But, then, it is my country, after all.  In spite of all the ugliness which gets bandied about by critics, it does have its good points.  Which includes the right for said critics to keep heaping on bad press about the country even though men and women have fought to keep it that way for years.

Now, if the old Soviet Union hadn't put itself forward as the "anti-America", then perhaps I would've been more inclined to say nothing bad about them.  My understanding of them is based on history.  The Russians never did have much in the way of civil liberties, so I can understand how Lenin's revolution turned into such an oppressive system.

If it were a choice between what I have as a US citizen and what is so often said about Soviet citizens, I'd take the former.  I'd rather be shouted down than wake up in a cold cell with a large man wearing heavy boots stepping on my face.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 20:16
USA, its more powerful most of the time, it had a far greater economy and its missile and nuclear weapon was more powerful than that of the U.S.S.R. until the mid 60s(both superior technology and more militaqry bases)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 20:40
USA, lesser of the two evils, by a long shot.
Arrrgh!!"
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 20:44

USA

Which is not to say that the USSR doesn't have their good points, now or in the past.

Its just the one I prefer.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 01:39

Originally posted by John Doe

They both made some bad decisions, and affecting some countries quite severely... but I'll say USA... they are and have been our allies for 50+ years now... and have not done us wrong.

hmmm...let me see...interfering with our internal affairs to the point that one of our minister told them to buzz off and leave us alone?

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 04:22
Look I would for USA until November 22 1963 when Kennedy was shot...after that? NO WAY
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 08:42

What a bunch of ingrates you are.  How quicky the minds of Switzerland, Italy, Australia, and turkey have forgotten that there was that little thing called the Cold War. I know most of our "allies" are virtually communist now anyway and it's easy for them to find alot to love in their dead collectivistic big brother, but if you think that the politburo had the best of intentions for their european  contemporaries on the other side of the wall, then your either a fool, or a fool who is lying to himself to reconcile a history that never happened to their distain for america. Perhaps our friends in Germany and Turkey  should take  a  little tour of all the closed and operative air and navy bases in their nations, and remember a day(or ask someone who remembers) when there were 4.1 million Soviet troops jsut itching to stomp all over Bonn and Ankara, to say nothing of Rome,Paris, Istanbul, Athens...............

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 08:56

Ha ha ha, Mauk you are so bloody extremely funny

My take would be "none", but if I have to pick one... here's how I view at it:

I've been to USSR pre-Gorbatchov... not a country you'd like to live in. I've been to half ostblock countries - USSR satelites. No good as well.

My country was one of those (only two in Europe but many all over the world) who got a "made-in-USA" junta imposed over them. And I loathe most political decissions USA made during the cold war. And I am leftie too.

But despite those, it's USA by a long shot. I wouldn't like to live in a world dominated by USSR. Not that the current world is great, or anything close. I am just picking the lesser of two evils (but the lesser by quite a distance, indeed).

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 09:32

Originally posted by mauk4678

What a bunch of ingrates you are.  How quicky the minds of Switzerland, Italy, Australia, and turkey have forgotten that there was that little thing called the Cold War. I know most of our "allies" are virtually communist now anyway and it's easy for them to find alot to love in their dead collectivistic big brother, but if you think that the politburo had the best of intentions for their european  contemporaries on the other side of the wall, then your either a fool, or a fool who is lying to himself to reconcile a history that never happened to their distain for america. Perhaps our friends in Germany and Turkey  should take  a  little tour of all the closed and operative air and navy bases in their nations, and remember a day(or ask someone who remembers) when there were 4.1 million Soviet troops jsut itching to stomp all over Bonn and Ankara, to say nothing of Rome,Paris, Istanbul, Athens...............

What utter nonsense. Europe isn't Communist, has little but loathe for the USSR, and no European with his sense in proper condition would ever considering prefering the USSR above the USA. However, how much better the USA is and was to live in, it does not change the way or legitimacy of many detestable actions the US have done against other nations. That the Americans were ready to defend Europe does not in any way give them the right to topple democratically elected governments in other countries or worse - or expect that people should keep quiet about it "since we saved the free world"...

Edit: and by the way, maybe you meant "Austria", since Australia is situated quite a bit outside the reach of USSR.

Edited by Styrbiorn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>