Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afghanistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afghanistan
    Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 22:56
Why is the US military involvement with Afghanistan, more justified than the previous USSR involvement?  

It is said Afghanistan was the USSR Vietnam, but now the US is spending huge sums of money to maintain a war in Afghanistan, and this makes sense why?   Should we continue to spend billions of dollars in Afghanistan, and continue going into debt for this war?  

Edited by Carol - 27-Jul-2010 at 23:01
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 04:16
the casus belli is somewhat more justifiable/believed to be more justifiable than that of the Soviets in 1979. I expect there will be a ensuing debate on the justifiability of the war in below posts.

A question of retaliation for an attack on a NATO member, as opposed to propping up a friendly regieme.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 10:19
But  Afghanistan had a civil war and part had requested the help of the USSR.  That is when the US supported a Saudi Arabian named Laden, by giving him and his men training an weapons.  Later, it was not Afghanistan that attacked the US, but Laden, the man the US had empowered with training and arms.  How does the action of a Saudi Arabian named, Laden, trained and armed by the US justify the US engaging in war with Afghanistan?  

Edited by Carol - 28-Jul-2010 at 10:25
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 15:28
Yes, the Communist government of Afghanistan had asked for USSR help. The USSR coming to the aid of an ally at their request is quite justifiable.

Fact is, Afghanistan appears to becoming the US' second vietnam.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 15:33
Mediocre Simba, when American casualties hit 25,000 or so, then I will be worried!

Until then it is still a chance to win friends and influence people!

I really don't care what you and your Marxist (Anti-USA) friends tend to think about it! With friends like you and your friends, the USA doesn't really need anymore enemies!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 15:45
Money spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: 1,000,000,000,000+
American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan: 5530
Are things getting better in either place? Nope.

That being said, do I believe we should pull out, no, we are already in too deep. Will we win in the end? Probably not, just like we couldnt win in Vietnam.

Enough said.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 28-Jul-2010 at 15:45
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:23
Actually, we probably could have won in VN if we had not thrown in the towel after the famous Tet Offensive!

The NVA and all of their munitions and armour were destroyed!

But, since loosers like you were running the media then, we decided to pull out!

But, that is "yesterday's NEWs"!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:36
The Tet Offensive was in 1968, we pulled out in 1975. We did not "throw in the towel". You Tea Partiers have no knowledge of US history, you sound like one of my conservative friends who asked me "when was the Vietnam War? It was before WWII right?" during a discussion. (true story).

The US would never have won the war in Vietnam unless we dedicated most of our military might to the effort, which we would never have done.

Several million South Asians and tens of thousands of Americans died as a result of that useless and needless war.

By the way, like Iraq, Vietnam was another war that we engaged in on the basis of lies.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 28-Jul-2010 at 16:43
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:41
Lessons should have been learnt from Malaya.

How much of the friendly government asking for assistance to maintain its power by the USSR wasnt just a ploy by the USSR itself? Realpolitik after all. Ticked all the justification boxes for the USSR so thats all that matters. Likewise 9/11, Bin Laden and the Taliban did the same of NATO in 2001.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:42
DreamWeaver, you are right, but I'm sure the Communist Afghani government didnt mind the help of the USSR.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 17:26
Notice that 1968 marked a new feeling within America, it just took a long time for this feeling to be filtered to the war effort!

And, the eventual end was a miserable and disgusting performance! I have Viet friends whose fathers spent 15 years in N. Viet / Cong prison camps because they were officers in the ARVN!

I lived the era, I heard the newscasts first hand, and I knew a lot of guys who were killed, and a lot who came home, to be spit at and called "baby-killers" by "little marxist, peace at all costs", dip sh-ts like you!

I would even imagine that some of you are planning a similar welcome home party for our Afgan troops sometime in the future!

But, all that being said; I love you man!

Edited by opuslola - 28-Jul-2010 at 17:27
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 17:53
Killing over 3 million people, for what? Please tell me? We lied to get ourselves in Vietnam, and we killed millions and lost tens of thousands of our own? Who really hates America? People like you who want to see our soldiers die for nothing and the loss of millions of others, or people like me, who were against the massacre that was the Vietnam War?

Over a million people have died in Iraq alone since we lied and started a war in the country. Why? For what purpose? Has it been worth it?

You bet I'm anti-war, and proud of it! Go fight in Iraq or Afghanistan if you care so much, go fight and lets see how you like war. By the way, why didnt you go to Vietnam if you supported the war so much? You just like to see others die and suffer?

I know the type of person you are, you are a complainer, a person who likes to blame others for everything thats "gone wrong". You are the type of person that would support such a thing as the Vietnam War or the Iraq War yet would never put yourself in harms way.

Dont talk about being pro-war when you dont even know what its like being in a war situation. All your values are anti-America, they are the opposite of what the US is all about.

By the way, we pounded North Vietnam for years prior to 1968, what the Tet Offensive showed was that we would lose no matter what.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 28-Jul-2010 at 17:57
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:24
I am sorry.  I started this thread hoping to get information.  I have read every post and do not see an explanation of the US invasion of Afghanistan.   There was some acknowledgment that Afghanistan was divided as was Vietnam divided, but this has not added to my information.   I have no idea why the US has felt justified in invading Afghanistan and maintaining a war there.  Like if there is a problem in Afghanistan to resolve, why did the US prevent the USSR from resolving it?  Why does it become the US problem to resolve?   Why?

I don't believe any of you except maybe TheGreatSimba have information to give, and if I were a moderator I would close this thread, because of personal attacks that finally put TheGreatSimba on the defensive.  How about it we do an analysis of what is unfounded opinion and personal attacks, and what is information?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:38
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Yes, the Communist government of Afghanistan had asked for USSR help. The USSR coming to the aid of an ally at their request is quite justifiable.

Fact is, Afghanistan appears to becoming the US' second vietnam.

I could be wrong, but I think the words colored like this are facts.

The words colored like this are opinions, but I think Afghanistan does look like the US' second vietnam and the economic factor is very harmful to the US, as it was very harmful to the USSR.  

Has anyone played the original Nintendo Genghis Khan game?  If all the elements essential to a strong state were not well balanced, a person looses.  You can not throw everything into a war effort, because this results in weaknesses that result in failure.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:42
Originally posted by opuslola

Mediocre Simba, when American casualties hit 25,000 or so, then I will be worried!

Until then it is still a chance to win friends and influence people!

I really don't care what you and your Marxist (Anti-USA) friends tend to think about it! With friends like you and your friends, the USA doesn't really need anymore enemies!

Now here we have personal attacks, and an opinion and, a possible fact, but I am not sure if this statement is a fact or opinion?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:45
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Money spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: 1,000,000,000,000+
American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan: 5530
Are things getting better in either place? Nope.

That being said, do I believe we should pull out, no, we are already in too deep. Will we win in the end? Probably not, just like we couldnt win in Vietnam.

Enough said.

This looks like fact to me.  This looks like opinion to me.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:48
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Lessons should have been learnt from Malaya.

How much of the friendly government asking for assistance to maintain its power by the USSR wasnt just a ploy by the USSR itself? Realpolitik after all. Ticked all the justification boxes for the USSR so thats all that matters. Likewise 9/11, Bin Laden and the Taliban did the same of NATO in 2001.

I don't understand this post.   It does not appear a good understanding of Afghanistan reality.  At least it is not the information I was hoping to get.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:52
Originally posted by opuslola

Actually, we probably could have won in VN if we had not thrown in the towel after the famous Tet Offensive!

The NVA and all of their munitions and armour were destroyed!

But, since loosers like you were running the media then, we decided to pull out!

But, that is "yesterday's NEWs"!

This is opinion, devoid of factual statements to support it.

I don't know what this is?  It needs more definitive wording to qualify as a fact.

This is a personal attack.

Edited by Carol - 28-Jul-2010 at 23:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 22:58
It might be nice to have a point system.  A person would get points for using facts, and loose points for making personal attacks, because personal attacks have only a negative social value, and do not honor the person making them.   However, providing information does have social value, so this would be a positive point in the authors favor.  Then at some point in a thread we could add up the points to determine the real losers and winners.  

Edited by Carol - 28-Jul-2010 at 23:05
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2010 at 03:57
Carol, the simple justification for NATO invading Afghanistan is thus. Osama bin Laden, figuatorial head of Al-Qaida, used Taliban controlled Afghanistan as base and safe haven. From where the 9/11 and other attacks were plotted etc. NATO invades in 2001 after 9/11 because a NATO member was attacked. The Taliban supported and sheltered him, and were in control of a large section of the country, so they became the target along with bin Laden.

Is that what you were looking for, or is there more, other themes and ideas you wish to discuss leading on from this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>