Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can you help? Who is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
digimox View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote digimox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you help? Who is this?
    Posted: 25-Jul-2010 at 15:45
Who is this please? Can anyone help? It's on a necklace I just bought and people keep asking me who it is... thanks,

Nick
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 05:14
I would doubt that anyone would be able to identify this woman, unless it was some famous painting reproduced in scale to fit the broach, etc.?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 06:06
I've seen this portrait in full size, I think.  This is an educated guess, but still a guess, Mary Queen of Scots.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
digimox View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote digimox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 06:24
Thank you!

I have been told she is a Catholic (due to the cross) and the hair style looks like an 1800's style.

Some people have suggested it might be Maria II da Gloria of Portugal.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 07:01
The cross was what I was basing my guess on.  Mary was Catholic.  If that broach is authentic you should have it appraised for Insurance reasons.  Those were usually hand painted by Miniature Painters.  Is it signed?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:44
I dont think it Mary Queen of Scots, artistic style for the period doesnt seem right. 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 17:15
I might well even guess that it is early 20th century? Hair styles and high fashion gowns, etc., change very often!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 19:47
I can't think of any person, this is hard. Is it Abigail Adams?Unhappy
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 19:50
Hey Duke, I never thought of that! Perhaps you could provide us a representation to which we might compare?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by opuslola

Hey Duke, I never thought of that! Perhaps you could provide us a representation to which we might compare?
Sure, here you go:

And....

What do you think?Ermm

Post Reply Post Reply