Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman Empire History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bancharad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bancharad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman Empire History
    Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 14:51
Smile Hello every one, I am just a new membership of this forum
 I 'm an interest in roman empire history. My blog is  http://roman-emperor.blogspot.com

bancharad
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2010 at 21:31

I think perhaps the most important thing for us to know of Rome is that it exhausted its supply of gold, and when this happened, it began having serious economic troubles, which becomes serious political problems.  It began cutting its gold coins with cheaper metals, and this devalued their coins.  Because the coins were devalued, it took more of them to buy things.  Not so different from $14,000 houses costing $200,000, and then having a banking crisis because people are trying to pay more for housing then they can not afford. 

At the same time Romans were being taxed heavily to support Rome's military, which brought home slaves, reducing the number the jobs available for landless Roman citizens.  To keep the citizens content, they were provided bread and circus.   We do things differently now, but effectively, we are dealing with the same problems in pretty much the same ways.   The best way to understand history is to expereince it.  Big smile
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2010 at 15:23
Originally posted by Carol

I think perhaps the most important thing for us to know of Rome is that it exhausted its supply of gold, and when this happened, it began having serious economic troubles, which becomes serious political problems.  It began cutting its gold coins with cheaper metals, and this devalued their coins.  Because the coins were devalued, it took more of them to buy things.  Not so different from $14,000 houses costing $200,000, and then having a banking crisis because people are trying to pay more for housing then they can not afford. 

At the same time Romans were being taxed heavily to support Rome's military, which brought home slaves, reducing the number the jobs available for landless Roman citizens.  To keep the citizens content, they were provided bread and circus.   We do things differently now, but effectively, we are dealing with the same problems in pretty much the same ways.   The best way to understand history is to expereince it.  Big smile

Hmm, I dont agree with you. The amunt of gold was probably the same. The problem was not with the amount of gold in the empire but in the empire's treasure. Many historians agree that one of the main reasons was the rising strenght of the Persian Empire what forced Romans to increase the the expenditures for the army by 1/3 - what in result made the treasure empty. Check the book of Peter Heather "The fall of Roman Empire".
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2010 at 13:03
I don't think the historians paid any more attention to the importance of mineral resources, than present economist.  I will give you the history from a geologist point of view and you can draw your own conclusion.  The is from Younguist's book "Mineral Resources and the Destinies of Nations".

The ability of the Romans to ultimately develop an iron based weaponry, and the depletion of Greek mineral resources and its treasury, finally led to the defeat of Greece and the transfer of what was lift of the Greek treasury to Rome.  But Rome also developed problems based on precious metals or lack thereof.  Unable to take advantage of the present day method of government finance, because the printing press had not yet been invented, the possession of the metals, gold and silver, was all important......... the Italian peninsula itself had very little in the way of metal, and especially precious metal resources.  The precious metal mines of Spain were a major factor in supplying the gold and silver which made the Roman currency of value.  But as these mines were depleted, the Roman currency began to debase their currency, eventually to the point where it became virtually worthless.  The Romans ultimately were unable either to pay their mercenary armies or to import the goods needed to sustain their standard of living.  There were other reasons involved in the fall of Rome, but debasement of its currency was an important contributing factor.

The Persians were constantly after that mineral wealth and plundered a lot of it from Greece, leading to Alexander invading Persia to get it back.   So the Persians were not just competing with Rome, they were out to get the mineral wealth that originates as the Greeks wealth, is stolen by Persians, returned by Alexander, and taken again by Rome. 
 Post Reply Post Reply