Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Education for Liberty and Justice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Education for Liberty and Justice
    Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:02
The above conversations are a perfect example of what should exist on this site!

Two knowledgable adults carrying on an adult conversation without the resort to name calling, and insults, etc.!

Bravo!, to you both!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:27
@Airhead, would you consider yourself a practicing Christian? Do you practice what the bible says?
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:28
Thank you dear.
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:29
I consider myself a servant of Jesus Christ.  Yes, Christian will do.  I try to follow the Bible to the best of my abilities, but to be honest, I am far from perfect.

Edited by Airhead - 21-Jul-2010 at 13:29
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:46
Originally posted by Airhead

I consider myself a servant of Jesus Christ.  Yes, Christian will do.  I try to follow the Bible to the best of my abilities, but to be honest, I am far from perfect.

The reason I bring this up is that I want to know what your opinions are on certain "words of God".

For example, it is clearly stated in the bible on a couple occasions that women are inferior to men. It also says in the bible that women should cover their head.

If the bible is the word of god, and for one to be a good Christian one must follow gods words, do you propose we practice these barbaric and backwards rules?

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 21-Jul-2010 at 13:48
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:59
You answered your own question, didn't you?  Smile

The Bible was written by man, so that is hardly a surprise.  Jesus came to earth for a reason.  He became a man so that we could have a direct and personal relationship with God.  He died on the cross so that our sins could be forgiven.  This shows the true nature of God unadulterated by human motivations.  I do believe that the Old Testament is the word of God, but not literal truth in many cases.  In fact much of it was never intended to be taken as literal.  Literalism actually formed in reaction to the second Jewish disporia, in a desperate attempt for a dispersed people to hang on to their culture.  I can't blame them for that, yet it did effect the way the Bible was translated for thousands of years.

To understand God, we need to understand Jesus.

Edited by Airhead - 21-Jul-2010 at 14:06
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 14:17

The Bible was written by man, so that is hardly a surprise.

So you're a Christian that doesnt believe in the bible?

Jesus came to earth for a reason.  He became a man so that we could have a direct and personal relationship with God. 

Well, if he ever existed in the first place.

He died on the cross so that our sins could be forgiven.  This shows the true nature of God unadulterated by human motivations.

But we are only told that this happened because of the bible, you just said the bible is the work of man, therefore, couldnt this all be made up by man?

I do believe that the Old Testament is the word of God, but not literal truth in many cases.

The old testament is far worse than the new testament in terms of its harsher rules, harsher punishments, etc...

In fact much of it was never intended to be taken as literal.  Literalism actually formed in reaction to the second Jewish disporia, in a desperate attempt for a dispersed people to hang on to their culture.  I can't blame them for that, yet it did effect the way the Bible was translated for thousands of years.

Who said that it was never intended to be taken literally?

My perception is that you are making yourself believe things to make up for the shortcomings of your religion. Everything you are telling me is your own opinion, which many other Christians would probably dispute. So whose right?

You attempting to interpret Christian beliefs in a manner other than religiously is a form of secularism itself. You are applying ideas developed through secularism to make Christianity look better.

Equality amongst men and women is a secular ideal, not a religious one. You are, I'm sure, for equality between men and women, and this is contrary to your Christian beliefs.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 21-Jul-2010 at 14:19
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 14:36
What does believe in the Bible mean to you?  I do believe in the Bible, but we still need to understand the historical context.  Let me give you an analogy.  You look at a cave painting and see a crude picture that could be an antelope.  You could point out; "Hey, no way did that guy see an antelope, the dimensions are all wrong, it was obviously a figment of his imagination."

However, just because the human is unable to perfectly depict his perception in a way that is convincing to modern standards, does not mean that his perception was false.

If you study the history of Biblical translation, you will discover that the movement of literalism arrose at a certain point in history.  You can discover this because the Jews and Christians have a rich tradition of scriptural commentary.  This allows us to know what different groups of people believed at different times.

Humans are unable to percieve without bias, this includes you.  Since we rely on human beings to transmit the Word of God, it is natural that human bias gets filtered into the text without the author realizing it.

Jesus said; "The last shall be first and the first shall be last.", thousands of years before the Enlightenment period.

My Christian beliefs are my own thank you.  I will not have you tell me what I believe.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 15:13
You said earlier that the bible is the work of man, and therefore we cannot trust everything it says.

Well, the only reason we know of Jesus and the whole story around him is through the New Testament, which is composed of several works, the earliest of which was written decades after Jesus supposedly died. (nothing was written about Jesus during the time he was supposed to have lived, why?)

No other sources from the time period mention Jesus, none. Therefore, why even believe that any of that happened? You yourself said it was the work of man, couldnt it be possible that all of this is made up?

Furthermore, Christianity is based on the bible, thats where it comes from and that is where it has developed from, and everything in the bible is said to have come from god.

The bible clearly details things that today we find barbaric and backwards, why were those things in there in the first place? I understand context, but we are talking about religion here, if Christianity truly is the religion of god, than shouldnt it be practiced the way god wanted it to be practice, the way he preached it?

For example, Jesus said turn the other cheek, did you support US retaliation for 9/11?

Yes, we all have our biases, I'm just trying to show your contradictions. Religion is an invention of man, it was invented during a time of chaos. We no longer need it, we have developed enough as a civilization to be able to make secular laws that are better and more sensible than religious laws. We no longer need religion the way you say, this is my opinion.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 21-Jul-2010 at 15:32
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 15:55
Nothing was written that survived.  In the first few decades, Jesus teachings were spread by word of mouth.  If you notice the narritives are called: "The Gospel according to (insert name of man)." 

So they were likely written down by second hand sources, based on the oral tradition.  This explains the descrepencies among the gospels, but also explains the simularities from several independant sources.

I said it was written by man, not created by man.  There is a difference.  Jesus did exist.  Josephus Flavius is an independant source that mentions Jesus outside of the Bible.

The source of the Bible is God.  Yet humans are the ones who transcribe the message, and humans are fallible, and prone to error.

The times were brutal in the bronze age.  The Israelis (and your ancestors) did what they had to do to survive.  The Old Testament is full of God punishing the Israelis when they disobeyed god.  This is a sign that they were not always following God's guidance.  To teach them a lesson, he allowed His temple to be destroyed, twice.

I do not and never will support violence as a means to solve problems.  That's a no.

You are free to your opinion, but I disagree.  I don't have contradictions.  The most you can accuse me of is circular logic.  Guess what?  Logic relies on circular logic for it to be true.  Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  Smile
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:08
Just why do any of you feel an almost inordinate desire to ridicule Christians?

Why don't you take the time to ridicule Moslems? Or Hindu's, or "Shamanism?" or "Shintoism?", etc.?

You never cease to decrease my opinion of you!

But, I think you may have met your match?

Edited by opuslola - 21-Jul-2010 at 16:11
Airhead View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Airhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:13
It's ok opuslola.  I don't mind.  I have a thick skin.  Just turn the other cheek, and let them slap the other one as well.  Smile
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:13
Speaking of Education, and Justice, etc.;

See; http://www.aolnews.com/house-money/article/the-other-congressional-spending-how-the-house-spent-1-billion-on-itself/19522761

Waste is where one finds it! What ever happend to our simple (but rich) congress-persons?

I think that "noblis oblige'", needs to show its "ugly" face again?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:16

Nothing was written that survived.  In the first few decades, Jesus teachings were spread by word of mouth.  If you notice the narritives are called: "The Gospel according to (insert name of man)." 

The first written records of Jesus appear decades after he died. I dont buy that none of the texts regarding him survived. None of the historians of the time period mentioned anything about a Jesus.

I said it was written by man, not created by man.  There is a difference.  Jesus did exist.  Josephus Flavius is an independant source that mentions Jesus outside of the Bible.

The authenticity of the source is disputed. Regardless, he supposedly wrote about Jesus in 93AD, again, decades after jesus' supposed death.

The source of the Bible is God.  Yet humans are the ones who transcribe the message, and humans are fallible, and prone to error.

So god, the all powerful and all knowing, allowed humans to make mistakes while recording his will, and then he let them practice those  mistakes in his name?

I do not and never will support violence as a means to solve problems.  That's a no.

Glad to hear that! There are many "Christians" who gladly support war.

You are free to your opinion, but I disagree.  I don't have contradictions.  The most you can accuse me of is circular logic.  Guess what?  Logic relies on circular logic for it to be true.  Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  Smile

Actually no, circular reasoning is fallacious and it is not where logic comes from. You just admitted that your reasoning is circular, therefore, your beliefs are fallacious. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. LOL

Originally posted by opuslola

Just why do any of you feel an almost inordinate desire to ridicule Christians?

Why don't you take the time to ridicule Moslems? Or Hindu's, or "Shamanism?" or "Shintoism?", etc.?

You never cease to decrease my opinion of you!

But, I think you may have met your match?

1) freedom of speech, 1st amendment (read your constitution), I know thats kind of hard for you to accept.
2) there arent many muslims, jews, hindus, etc... on this forum, so those religions dont get talked about as much. I would say the same things to them. I have said over and over again that I am against all religion. And if I remember correctly, I believe that I did have a discussion with a muslim as well.
3) if you are going to use religion as part of your argument, you must be prepared for criticism
4) if you dont like it, dont read it
5) as far as I was aware, I didnt think you were a christian, why take it so personally?

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 21-Jul-2010 at 16:23
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:27
TGS wrote;

"as far as I was aware, I didnt think you were a christian, why take it so personally?"

For one reason, "Love thy neighbor as thyself!"

Just because you seem to hate yourself for what you have become, do not tend to be anti to all others!

It makes you less than human!

Maybe "and to your own self be true", has been misconstrued by you?

Edited by opuslola - 21-Jul-2010 at 16:33
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:33
And once again a perfectly grown up discussion has been derailed by opuslola. Congrats.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 16:38
Actually, after all of these months I would have expected you to actually address me by my Christian Name, which is, and has always been available to you as Ronald L. Hughes!

Note that I go by the first name shortened to Ron!

Since you have not revealed any of your hidden identity to any of us, then I have to refer to you by your moniker, which is TGS, abbr.!

The word "rude" oft comes to my mind when ever I converse with you, whom ever you really are?

In essence you are mostly a coward!
C. Isaurikon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 17:23
So I am curious about something.

It has been said here that one cannot cherry pick which parts of the Bible one follows. It is all the word of God, so it must all be followed.

A person with such a belief then must be absolutely in favour of punishing anyone wearing clothing made from two different types of fibers, correct?

Edited by C. Isaurikon - 21-Jul-2010 at 18:18
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 17:33
Well, while not an expert, I would guess "NO!" I know there are Jewish dietary laws, but as far as I know, mixing Flax, with wool, or even later day cotton, would not violate it!

Perhaps "airhead" knows?
C. Isaurikon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 18:19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatnez

Mixing wool and linen is out of bounds. Which makes it hard for many seeing how many wool/linen blends do exist.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>