Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dolmens tombs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dolmens tombs
    Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 22:54
  I spent a month in Italy this summer and got to visit Slovenia and Hungary.  The fine folks at Megalithic Portal are always happy to get pics and info about sites.  As to neolithic expertise I am not too sure who might qualify there at megalithic portal.  I will ask Runemage; I am facebook friends with some very interesting archaeologist in India and Pakistan who are closer to the action of the times.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 06:41
Drusin, could you send a private message to Red Clay? Anyone with an interest in ancient archaeology is welcome here, especially if it's outside of Classical-era Europe.Smile

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-Feb-2012 at 09:06
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 09:48
Burial ground and house or community center are not mutually exclusive explanations.

I found this rather interesting and short article about the sites at Gobleki tepe. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111006162535.htm  

"....He outlines growing archaeological evidence for daily activities at the site, such as flintknapping and food preparation. "The presence of this evidence suggests that the site was not, after all, devoid of residential occupation, but likely had quite a large population," Banning said. 
Banning goes on to argue that the population may have been housed in the purported temples themselves. He disagrees with the idea that the presence of decorative pillars or massive construction efforts means the buildings could not have been residential space. 
"The presupposition that 'art,' or even 'monumental' art, should be exclusively associated with specialized shrines or other non-domestic spaces also fails to withstand scrutiny," Banning writes. "There is abundant ethnographic evidence for considerable investment in the decoration of domestic structures and spaces, whether to commemorate the feats of ancestors, advertise a lineage's history or a chief's generosity; or record initiations and other house-based rituals." 
Archaeological evidence for domestic art from the Neolithic period exists as well, Banning says, such as the wall paintings at Çatalhöyük, another archaeological site in Turkey. 
Banning suggests that the purported temples may instead have been large communal houses..."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 19:22
Excavations at 5000 year old Irish dolmen:
http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/004068.html
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12