Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dolmens tombs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dolmens tombs
    Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 19:22
Excavations at 5000 year old Irish dolmen:
http://www.stonepages.com/news/archives/004068.html
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 09:48
Burial ground and house or community center are not mutually exclusive explanations.

I found this rather interesting and short article about the sites at Gobleki tepe. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111006162535.htm  

"....He outlines growing archaeological evidence for daily activities at the site, such as flintknapping and food preparation. "The presence of this evidence suggests that the site was not, after all, devoid of residential occupation, but likely had quite a large population," Banning said. 
Banning goes on to argue that the population may have been housed in the purported temples themselves. He disagrees with the idea that the presence of decorative pillars or massive construction efforts means the buildings could not have been residential space. 
"The presupposition that 'art,' or even 'monumental' art, should be exclusively associated with specialized shrines or other non-domestic spaces also fails to withstand scrutiny," Banning writes. "There is abundant ethnographic evidence for considerable investment in the decoration of domestic structures and spaces, whether to commemorate the feats of ancestors, advertise a lineage's history or a chief's generosity; or record initiations and other house-based rituals." 
Archaeological evidence for domestic art from the Neolithic period exists as well, Banning says, such as the wall paintings at Çatalhöyük, another archaeological site in Turkey. 
Banning suggests that the purported temples may instead have been large communal houses..."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 06:41
Drusin, could you send a private message to Red Clay? Anyone with an interest in ancient archaeology is welcome here, especially if it's outside of Classical-era Europe.Smile

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-Feb-2012 at 09:06
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 22:54
  I spent a month in Italy this summer and got to visit Slovenia and Hungary.  The fine folks at Megalithic Portal are always happy to get pics and info about sites.  As to neolithic expertise I am not too sure who might qualify there at megalithic portal.  I will ask Runemage; I am facebook friends with some very interesting archaeologist in India and Pakistan who are closer to the action of the times.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by Drusin

I participate on the forum at Megalithic Portal too.  Runemage is a wonderful moderator.  Which I'm sure you will be too. They have great maps of sites, you can even search for mining and industry and it just pops up.   All those mines and megaliths

Thank you, Drusin, for your kind wordsSmile and for your feedback on my poemsSmile, I really appreciate that.
You mean this Megalithic portal I got the first 2 pictures from? I didn't even notice they had a forumDead...
I'm going to go this summer in Bulgaria /I'm from there, came to US 10 years ago/ and I will buy some books on dolmens and the Thracian tombs, I hope to find some in English and post from them here. Much archeological work done the last years there and I hope to get my hands to some newly published academic volumesSmile.

This is a video about the Thracian tombs, there are dolmens included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYr08HEe6EY
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 21:01
Drusin, have you thought of inviting this Runemage (and other members) to join us? My own knowledge of the Neolithic period is very basic at best
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 20:49
I participate on the forum at Megalithic Portal too.  Runemage is a wonderful moderator.  Which I'm sure you will be too. They have great maps of sites, you can even search for mining and industry and it just pops up.   All those mines and megaliths
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 20:45
THAT is very cool! I'm afraid I don't have you way with words. thank you so very much for the poetry and this very cool linkSmile
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 20:19
There are dolmens in Bulgaria too - this link is good, with following pictures  http://bulgariatravel.org/en/object/255/355_The_Dolmens 
This one is 8-7 century BC
Oryahovo Dolmen submitted by StanislavIliev
Site in  Bulgaria (PID:48773)

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=23414
This one is Thracian

Very well preserved Tracian dolmen located near the road between Balgarska Poliana and Hliabovo vill (PID:9023)

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=14502
Thracian one, 9-7 century BC, Belevren
Dolmen3
http://www.horizonfoundation.nl/projects/strandja/

This is a very interesting research on the orientation of  more than 80 dolmens in Bulgaria - they were all orineted toward some pick or a hill,I suppose  because tye Ancient Thracians were Orphics, with both Greek and Thracian Orphism, and the mountain/hill was one of the symbols of Mother-Goddess.  http://mgu.bg/geoarchmin/naterials/33Kolev-et-al.pdf

Edited by Don Quixote - 16-Feb-2012 at 20:20
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 19:32
That's interesting. I've never considered that possibility before. But who did the people have to defend themselves from?
Drusin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Drusin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 09:11
Hello all and thank you to the folks that make this forum possible. I do have some interesting information on dolmen. 30,000 in Korea alone. There are also countless dolmen in India and the Middle East.  They pop up all over the planet and most actually don't contain remains, this is telling in that their original purpose was not to serve as tombs.  Recent discoveries of interred remains under the floors of houses and even beds in Catal Huyuk tells us the people of the neolithic and bronze ages had different views about how best to deal with human remains.   They were likely functional structures that served as well-protected  housing and storage for the mining and trade industries of their times. Megalithic Portal is an excellent site with maps and the most comprehensive list of megaliths globally I have found online. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 19:55
If the dolmens were intended to be some sort of open-air structure, surely the stones would have been worked and shaped like the menhirs or Stonehenge? Our ancestors must have put a lot of effort into erecting their megaliths
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2012 at 11:38
People  spent a lot of time with dead one&buried.They still spend it.In my town,city graveyard still have covered dining room for those that have come to eat with their dead relatives.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 20:42
I thought the dolmen was just the weathered interior of a ruined barrow. Archaeologists have excavated tumuli and discovered similar large stones lining the burial chamber
Ionian islands of the Bronze Age

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 12:16
Ancients were practical people first,than artists and mystics&philosophers.Stone structures had shown us there was long time,human presence,inside those areas.They had had a lot of time to built them for community's usages.

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jan-2012 at 12:18
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 11:17
Med. burned stones and artifacts that show exposure to extreme heat are found in many places in the town I live in.  It's what I look for when I'm collecting.

If there were burials connected to these artifacts, the bones have long been eaten away by the highly acidic soils here.  Even late woodland to contact burials are limited by this.

Edited by red clay - 07-Jan-2012 at 11:22
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 11:08
Med. it doesn't surprise me that there were no burials found under the many Dolmen that exist in the US.  Cremation was used in many prehistoric cultures.  The ashes may have been placed under the rocks.  In the region I'm in there are quite a few cremation sites.  There was also a custom in which the deceased was buried in a sacred place, then they would have a ceremonial fire, into which offerings were placed.  The fire could be kept burning for weeks. 
i've found the location of one, but the people who own the property won't allow me to excavate.  They seem to be superstitious about it.
I actually have located several sites that I deem ceremonial in nature.  Again, the owners are reluctant to allow anyone to dig, even the state arch. was refused.  Yes, I actually got someone of authority to pay attention.
I believe that if allowed to do a proper investigation of these sites they would prove to be older than Pig Point in MD.  [approx. 6,000 ybp]

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 10:22
Picnic,Stone's Sun umbrellas,they were!Who did carry umbrellas within those days!?!Maybe they had put dead body above few days to be sure it was really dead,Red?Body was protected by animals this way? Prehistoric Mortuary they were maybe?!?
P.S.
Were there fire residuals all around?What does about ancient crematorium use?

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jan-2012 at 10:27
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by Nick1986

A dolmen in itself is merely the ruined remains of a burial mound. The earth has long worn away, but originally the standing stones served as a burial chamber for a dead chieftain who would be buried with his bronze weapons, treasure, and food for his journey into the otherworld

No mound.  The Dolmens are actually marking the tomb.  The person would be buried under it.  Not all were tombs.  There are dolmen here in the US, but I don't think there was ever a burial found.

Dolmen, New England

Edited by red clay - 07-Jan-2012 at 10:49
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2012 at 21:50
A dolmen in itself is merely the ruined remains of a burial mound. The earth has long worn away, but originally the standing stones served as a burial chamber for a dead chieftain who would be buried with his bronze weapons, treasure, and food for his journey into the otherworld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>