Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Those fascinating Scots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those fascinating Scots
    Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 17:47
Yes indeed, for a small little nation in the North of England, the Scot movement seems very strong indeed!

And, indeed, it seems that there has to be some real reason for their success?

But, what was it?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 17:54
Originally posted by opuslola

Yes indeed, for a small little nation in the North of England, the Scot movement seems very strong indeed!

But, what was it?

hmm, what about the national solidarity combined with their proverbial "greed" and courage coming from the fact that they had nothing to loose and everything to win :)

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Jul-2010 at 17:54
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 17:56
Greedy Scots? I thought that Scots were known for their frugalness?
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 04:12
Tight fistedness.

Scotladn (particularly Glasgow) accounts for the fattest people in the UK if I recall, with sections of Wales coming in close afterwards. Mayve they are a tad greedy, that or its the deep fired chocolate bars with chips
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 05:40
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Tight fistedness.

Scotladn (particularly Glasgow) accounts for the fattest people in the UK if I recall, with sections of Wales coming in close afterwards. Mayve they are a tad greedy, that or its the deep fired chocolate bars with chips

Rather that they are "fat and happy" rather than "lean and mean!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by Mosquito

heh, I had no idea that there is an astorid belt named after my city. Posnania - is the latin name of my city, in Polish known as Poznan and in other languages also as Posen.

The informations I gave above come mostly from the article of professor Stefan Zabieglik of University of Gdansk who is teaching about the culture and history of Scotland. 

Mosquito, please tell your professor thank you, and that information he provides, sparked interest in the Scots on the Internet.

opuslola View Drop Down I had to google the military philosophy of using mercenaries,  to understand this use of mercenaries, and read of King's wars, verses people's wars.  

I remember in a video series about the American Revolution, it was said the colonist defending themselves was, perhaps the first peoples war.  I am now getting, at a time when kings went to war using professional armies, the King of England must have been totally shocked by citizens fighting a war.   He had to think he had an army and the colonist didn't, so sending in his troops would be just a police action, not a war. Shocked

This is getting off track.  Back on tract is, the Scots sent out mercenary soldiers, like we send out weapons.  It would have been a blow to the Scots when the citizens were no longer wanted as mercenaries soldiers. This happened with the enlightenment- the Prussians lead the way in creating a people's army, but were they inspired by the American colonist?  All the other nations followed, moving from king's wars to people's wars.  But up to this time the Scottish culture had to feel the impact of its citizens being valued mercenary soldiers.   Would this not be a source of pride and encourage shaping citizens to be warriors?   

Edited by Carol - 21-Jul-2010 at 08:01
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 08:54
Dear Carol, here we enter a small sometimes grey area. First are the depictions of the Picts, anywhere correct? (note the word play with pict! ) and if the Scots are later day Picts, etc., then you do see a valorous group of mostly freemen, who were admired and feared on the battlefield!

Did the later Scots also follow such traditions? Like painting themselves blue, fighting nude (note the famous kilt!), etc.? Remember the scene in Braveheart?

And thanks for the site you gave us above!

I would argue, however, that France still made use of a "merc" army called "The Foreign Legion!" No real names needed, no background checks, etc., just paid guns!

And no one can forget that "pirates" (corsairs) of all types, were noted for centuries of our past, even until today!

It seems that a lot of them were large red haired men!

And, just whom can forget the famous Hessians used by George against the colonists in America! Mercs, they were, even if they were cousins of George!

Edited by opuslola - 21-Jul-2010 at 09:02
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 10:59
Opus, in re:  "I would argue, however, that France still made use of a "merc" army called "The Foreign Legion!" No real names needed, no background checks, etc., just paid guns!"

The Legion is a modern (19th century) development. Foreigners in French service have a long history going back to the 1400s, when the first French Infantry units were recruited among Swiss Pikemen. (The oldest Arm in the French Army is the Cavalry). Scots did provide the Bodyguard Regiment to several French kings, and the Poles have a history of long service with teh French (as well as the Bavarians). You will find a list of the origin of the French Infantry regiments displayed in their museum at the French Infantry Center in Montpellier. Three Irish regiments are also listed. Today, the origin of those regiments is often displayed on their regimental insignia (i.e., 92nd Regt of Inf, Blue and White checkered pattern for Bavaria), though the present members are all French. The French Revolution was most likely when the largest foreign forces served under the French flag. When Napoleon went into his first exile, he took a regiment of Polish cavalry with him.

Today's Legion does a background check and your real name and data are known to the Legion Security Service, though you are allowed (sometimes required) to pick a name of your own choosing. No one outside the security service will know your name unless you choose to release it. The Legion is no more mercenary than the USMC.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 11:16
My mistake Lirelou! Maybe I had old information?

It could not be a bad memory?

But, perhaps from 1949 to the 1960's my description of the Legion was accurate? It has been alleged that ex-nazi's, and even known war criminals were accepted into the legion!

No! I do not now have my sources, but I know that they did exist at one time!

But, "Will you still need me, will you still breed me, when I'm sixty four?" Sorry those are not the exact words of the Beatles song also, but that is how I remember them!

Regards,

Soon to be sixty four! da da!

Edited by opuslola - 22-Jul-2010 at 14:36
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 14:43

Since I made the mistake of up-dating the above post, I felt that I should make a new one so no one would miss it!

So, here it is!

But, perhaps from 1949 to the 1960's my description of the Legion was accurate? It has been alleged that ex-nazi's, and even known war criminals were accepted into the legion!

But, "Will you still need me, will you still breed me, when I'm sixty four?" Sorry those are not the exact words of the Beatles song also, but that is how I remember them!

Regards,

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 06:22
Opuslola, you might try an article by Mireille Nicoud and Shaun Darragh entitled: "Foreign Legion Infantry in Indochina" (If I remember correctly), which was published by Vietnam magazine some years back and was on line at www.thehistorynet.com. It gives you statistics of German speakers for the Indochina years. Did some Nazis get in? Yes, and not all were war criminals. Did war criminals get in? Yes, they did. And the Legion Security service had an active program to hunt them down. Were there a lot of German speakers? Yes, at one time, some 40 plus percent of the Legion. Why? Germany was in ruins, and thsoe from Eastern Germany had good reasons to stay elsewhere. German speakers also included Alsatians who had enlisted or been drafted into the Legion, and veterans of the German diaspora whose homes were now behind the Iron Curtain. As a Polish veteran of the Legion from 1946-52 remarked to me. "I didn't join the Legion because I loved the Army. I joined because I had no other real choice." (He enlisted in the US Army in 1952, when the Lodge Act allowed a certain number of foreigners to enlist directly into the US Army.)

Originally, a mercenary was someone who served for pay. So all professional soldiers are 'mercs' in that sense of the word, and that includes today's Legion, the Marine Infantry, and French regular 'Metro' units. 
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 06:47

But, what was it?

Drambouie?  Or possibly Glenfiddich?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 06:56
According to the ancient Scots Chronicles the origin of the Scottish people, at least in part, derives from the Pharaonic lineage of an Egyptian princess named Scota, who may have lived around 1400 B.C. The old Irish Annals support this same tradition saying that Scota came to Ireland, via Spain, from Egypt. Even today the placename Glen Scota traditionally records her presence in Ireland. Subsequently descendants of Scota apparently migrated to Scotland around 300 B.C. from whence came the Scots royal lineage.

The feasibility of Egyptian travel to the British Isles in ancient times is borne out by modern archaeological findings. This occurred in 1937 when two Egyptian sailing ships, dated to around 1400 B.C., were discovered in a Yorkshire estuary, on the north west coast of England. Moreover, Egyptian faience beads dating from the same period have been found in Scotland and other parts of the British Isles.

Furthermore, the Rev. John Stirton in his essay The Celtic Church and the Influence of the East (1923) observes: "The earliest type of monumental cross in Scotland is an Egyptian or Coptic wheel cross. It appears on several stones at Kirkmadrine in Wigtonshire, along with the Alpha and Omega….The Crux Ansata, the emblem of life in Egyptian hieroglyphics, is found on a stone at Nigg in Ross-shire, and on another at Ardboe, in Ireland.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 10:37
I had to google about Scota coming from Egypt.  Wikipedia has an interesting explanation, covering the fall of the tower of the Babble and the exodus from Egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scota
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 12:56
"Scot" is really similar to "Osku", look at this thread: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28131

This is in fact a continuation of this thread: Statue Menhirs, Prehistoric Western Europe, there are two regions, one of them is in the south of France and Iberian Peninsula and another one is in the west of Caspian sea and Caucasian Iberia, in this thread I want to talk about two people who are called Vasku, one people live in north Spain and south France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_people and another one live in Osku county of Iran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osku_County the second people could be the same Vaesaka, one of the prime enemies of Iranian-speaking people, according to Avesta.

I think it can be also related to the Celtic creation myth, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A1mfhind as you read a man named Glas, the eponymous ancestor of the Gaels, migrated from Egypt and settled in the west of the Caspian sea, modern Gilan (Gelas or Gelae in the ancient sources), several generations later, his descendants were invaded by Scythians, probably in the eighth and seventh century BC, their leader named Agnoman died on the Caspian Sea and his son Lamfhind took leadership of his people to the Iberian Peninsula.

Anyway it is good to read it about a possible connection between Hurro-Urartian and Basque languages: http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/library/ane/digest/v03/v03.n060
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:00
Originally posted by Mosquito

And one long article titled:

The learned Scots in Poland (from the mid-sixteenth to the close of the eighteenth century)

can be found here:

That was a very interesting read.  This is the second time I read of the Scottish drive for education, but your link made it more clear that this drive for education was in their culture, not just individuals. 
It also appears, an individual could expect upward economic mobility in Poland, otherwise an education would be useless.   And the link says, some did achieve great wealth, and then funded the education of others.  

I would like to know what Malcolm Gladwell, authority of "blink" and The Tipping Point" would do this information.  He writes of how someone can have an idea and then how the idea is spread, until large numbers of people are caught in the idea.  This spreading of an idea takes a gregarious personality, like that of a merchant, a Scottish specialty.   Perhaps the Scottish deserve more credit for transforming the world than they get?  Perhaps Poland was a better place to live, than we in the US think? 

You said that Poland did not have strong unifying government force and fell into anarchy and that lead to other nations walking over Poland.  Can we say basically the same thing happened to Germany?  In 1912 Charles Sarolea writers of congenial, artistic, and dreamy nature of the Germans, and how they allowed the Prussians to take control, because following the 30 Years War, they didn't want to take on the hard job of unifying and defending Germany.   The Scots were expressing a desire for education and an ambition for upward economic mobility, and they did well in Poland, and Poland falls into anarchy and gets stomped on others?  One of the nations strongly influenced by the Scots is the US, which succeeded in developing a strong government.  What can we learn from this?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 09:19

Regards,

"Will you still love me, will you still need me, when I am 64?"  Wink
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 16:59
Originally posted by red clay

Yes indeed, for a small little nation in the North of England, the Scot movement seems very strong indeed! And, indeed, it seems that there has to be some real reason for their success? But, what was it?

Drambouie?  Or possibly Glenfiddich?

Yes, indeed! Scotch for Scot! But it does not play well in Mississippi!

Bourbon or Rum, seem more, how shall I say it, Southern?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 17:11
Carol, re. your post concerning;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scota

You might well notice the reference to Nectenabo? Supposedly he was the king that allowed "Greeks" to settle on the coasts of Egypt!

Here is the site in quotes;

"Scota, in Irish mythology, Scottish mythology, and pseudohistory, is the name given to two different mythological daughters of two different Egyptian Pharaohs to whom the Gaels traced their ancestry, allegedly explaining the name Scoti, applied by the Romans to Irish raiders, and later to the Irish invaders of Argyll and Caledonia which became known as Scotland.

The Scota who was allegedly the wife of Mil is named as the daughter to a pharaoh named 'Nectanebus' (a name which might be meant to identify either Nectanebo I or Nectanebo II), and in this myth it was the sons of Mil and Scota that settled in Ireland.

According to the early Irish chronicle Lebor Gabála Érenn the other Scota was the daughter of an Egyptian Pharaoh named Cingris, a name found only in Irish legend. She married Niul, son of Fenius Farsaid, a Babylonian who traveled to Scythia after the collapse of the Tower of Babel. Niul was a scholar of languages, and was invited by the pharaoh to Egypt and given Scota's hand in marriage. They had a son, Goídel Glas, the eponymous ancestor of the Gaels, who created the Gaelic language by combining the best features of the 72 languages then in existence.

Goídel (or his son Sru) was expelled from Egypt shortly after the Exodus of the Israelites by a pharaoh whom 17th century Irish chronicler Geoffrey Keating names Intuir. After much travelling his descendants settled in Hispania (or Iberia - modern Spain and Portugal), where Míl Espáine was born, and it was the sons of Míl, Eber Finn and Eremon, who established the Gaelic presence in Ireland.

According to Seumas MacManus in his book The Story of the Irish Race, Scota married Niul, but he was the grandson of Gaodhal Glas. Then another Scota, who was coincidentally also a daughter of an Egyptian Pharaoh, married Miled (or Milesius). This second Scota left Iberia with her eight sons and their families, after Miled died, and headed for Ireland. Many of the sons died en route, due to a storm, and Queen Scota died during the battle between the Milesians and the Tuatha Dé Danann.

South of Tralee town, in Ireland, in a valley is an area known as Glenn Scoithin, "Vale of the little flower", more normally known as Foley's Glen, reputedly the grave of Scota."

Co-incidentally, this king with the name Nectanebo, is one of Velikovsky's main subjects in his book, "Peoples of the Sea!"

Also, Velikovsky tries to tie Nectanebo with Rameses III!, and his imortal battles with the "People of the Sea or Isles", etc.! By doing so, he (Velikovsky) effectively removed about 800 years from our Egyptian chronology!

And, of course, he was villified by historians, etc.!

Of course, since we have seen that Scots were regularly used as "mercs" by many kings, etc., then what difference does it make if the king of Egypt might have used them also?

If you would read the other posts of mine, at this particular place, you might well find out that I intend to "outdo" Velikovsky! That is 800 years is but a beginning!

I intend to insinuate that these Scots, and Nectanebo, and the Sea People were a product of what we today call the "Crusades!"

Yes, I am a nut!

But, what if I am correct?

By the way, "coming to Scotland, via Iberia", may or may not mean Spain!

There exists two famous Iberias, like there exits two famous Babylons, etc.!

Edited by opuslola - 24-Jul-2010 at 17:37
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 06:14
To the writer of the OP, do you fantasise about a particular Scot?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>