Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Those fascinating Scots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those fascinating Scots
    Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 11:55
I think perhaps we do ourselves a disservice  by overlooking the Scots.  I purchased "America's Founding Secret- What the Scottish Enlightenment Taught our Founding Fathers" by Robert W, Galvin. That the Scottish influences the US may not be a surprise to anyone.   We know the Scottish David Hume as a philosopher who was in favor of the Americans developing democracy, but not the French Revolution and their efforts to have a democracy.  We know Irish and Scottish immigrants came to the US, but how aware are we of the Scots men who made Alexander the Great, great?  Here we are decades later, the Russians and Americans face each other off like two feuding clans. 

How about this, it is unlikely the Russians would have become a serious military force, if it had not been for a couple of Scots men.   Patrick Gordeon and Paul Menesius  revolutionized Russia's military force.   The weight of the credit may fall on Patrick Gordeon as he served in the German military force, and therefore, was able to bring this modernization of military force to Russia.  Where thanks to Nikita Zotov an early teacher of Peter of the Great, who befriended these two,  they became friends of Peter Great as well.  I got this information from this site about Peter the Great.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_I_of_Russia  At the site it is possible to click on the names for additional information about them.

I want to take this discussion in two different directions, so I will open another in the military forum.  In this thread, I would like to stay with who are other Scots who have influenced the flow of history?   What shaped the Scottish culture to bring out such men and women as these?  

DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 05:37
..............so long as we beat the English.

A possible factor in the shaping of these men and women.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2010 at 14:55
The relationship between the Scots and France has amazed me for a number of years, thus;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garde_%C3%89cossaise

It has certainly placed a great deal of history our way!

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2010 at 19:55
Most interesting,  Opulola.  I had not heard of the Scots being so involved with France.  Neither until just recently did I know of the Scots being involved with Russia.  

I wonder why it is possible to read of the Scottish Enlightenment and the founding fathers of the US, but not equal stories of the Scots and French or Scots and Russians.  Is it possible they would influence the US constitution and not the French one?  The information about Scots is about them being mercenary soldiers, but they were obviously more than this.  

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-177829908/scottish-enlightenment-and-american.html 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 04:28
Yes, the more one reads about this relationship, the more one wonders just how much influence these Scots had with both the Royals and with their decisions!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 05:59
It is interesting to read about red hair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

As you read it say Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads in the world.

The famous Greek historian Herodotus (ca. 450B.C.) says about Scythians ("Scothes" in Greek): "They are a large and powerful nation: they have all blue eyes, and red hair" (Herodotus, Histories 4. 108)
According to Greek and Roman sources these people lived in a region northeast of the Black Sea which was called Albany and Iren/Iron (Land of Ire, Modern Ossetia), read about it in BBC: Ossetia's connection to Scotland

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 20-Jul-2010 at 06:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 07:24
The link shows the area of Neanderthals, and it is believed they had red hair.  

This site questions the possibility the Neanderthal lived in the area of Britain.

Edited by Carol - 20-Jul-2010 at 07:36
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 08:36
Before the Scots went to Russia, they went also to Poland. Because of religious persecuations on British Isles large number of Scots migrated to Poland - Lithuania in the 16th and 17th century.

Two first known Scots in Poland were students who came to study at Cracow University, one in 1438 AD and second in 1453 AD. Many Scots were trading in Gdansk (Danzig) and some settled there. Since that time there was a district in the city which was called New Scots. From the year 1573 all the Scots in Poland were benefit from the religious tollerance and built whatever churches they wanted basing on the articles of Warsaw Confederation. The confederation created a legal basis for a new political system and at the same time secured the unity of the state which had been inhabited for generations by communities from different ethnic backgrounds (Poles, Lithuanians, Ruthenian, Germans, Armenians, Wlachians, Dutch, Tatars, and Scotts) and of different denominations (Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Jewish, and Muslim).

Scots were called in Poland "Szots" and worked as merchants and soldiers in the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania. In year 1603 King of Poland and Lithuania Sigismundus III Vasa has nominated the Scot Abraham Jung, commander of Scotish infantry in Polish army -  a governor of all Scotts in Poland, giving him the judical and administrative powers.

In 1620 Scot James Murray was nominated for the chief enginier of Polish navy (servitor–architectus navalis), which 7 yearts later achieved victory over Swedes at the battle of Oliva (under command of dutch immigrant and admiral of Polish navy Arend Dickmann, dutch Arend Dijckman).

In year 1650 the Parliament of Poland and Lithuania introduced the tax on Scots 1/10 of all their property and sent it to support Charles II, king of England and Scotland. Because of this tax we know that in Poland was living that time about 30.000 Scots.

At the Warsaw University survived so called Green Book originally titled: Original Records of those Scots in Poland known as the Scottish Brotherhood at Lublin) cantaining the many informations and documents of Scotish community in the city of Lublin, the book begins in year 1680 and ends in 1731.

Because Scots were living in Poland for many centuries most of them assimilated with local population and their surnames were polonised. For example the familly of Chalmers became Czamer, Cochrane became Czochran, Jackson - Dziaksen, Cockburn - Kabron, Macleod - Machlejd, Sinclair - Szynkler.

On the territory of modern Poland are at least 10 villages which are called "Szkocja" what in Polish means "Scotland" or "Nowa Szkocja" (New Scotland) or "Szoty" (Scots). In many of them still live descendants of Scots altough their names are polonised.

Aleksander Czamer (orginal Alexander Chalmers) was a native Scott who imigrated to Poland in XVII century and during the reign of king August II was 4 times elected for major of City of Warsaw. He was burried in the Cathedral of St. John in Warsaw where is still his grave.

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Jul-2010 at 08:43
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 10:51
My dear loving blood sucking insect! What a wonderful post, and what wonderful information! I may not swat you at all?

And, there still exists a lot more information similar to what you have given us! Maybe some of the other scholars on this site, might be able to find, and contribute, more?

The potential Jewish connection is also fascinating!

I also loved the posts by Cyrus and Carol!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 20-Jul-2010 at 10:58
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 12:12
Mosquito, that was fascinating.   How do you come to this information?  Please, I reallllly must know.  I want more of it.   

I am thinking the US prided itself too much for its religious tolerance and assimilation of mixed people because this is presented as unique to the United States.  Increasingly, I am realizing this is not unique to the US.   It is a cultural trait of tolerance, and I am wanting to know what cultures shared this trait, and the conditions for this beginning a cultural trait.   

PS, My God Mosquito, you live on an asteroid!

1572 Posnania

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posnania
Discovery and designation
Discovered byJ. and Kwiek Dobrzycki
Discovery sitePosen
Discovery dateSeptember 22, 1949
Designations
MPC designation1572
Named afterPoznań
Alternate name(s)[note 1]1949 SC
Epoch May 14, 2008
Ap3.7547951
Peri2.4493545
Eccentricity0.2104141
Orbital period1995.6153006
Mean anomaly244.97874
Inclination13.29638
Longitude of ascending node6.18628
Argument of peri354.90919
Geometric albedo0.1563
Absolute magnitude (H)10.00

1572 Posnania (1949 SC) is a main-belt asteroid discovered on September 22, 1949 byAndrzej Kwiek and Jerzy Dobrzycki in Poznan, Poland.

Edited by Carol - 20-Jul-2010 at 12:15
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 12:45
Yes Carol, mosquitos were transferred to our planet by a close collision of an asteroid many years ago! Before then, men and women could actually go outside in the summer, and not be bothered by these "pesky blood sucking" aliens!

But, back to some reality, I would just like you all to read this from Wiki;

"La Grande Armée Écossaise

In 1418 Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany appointed his son, John Stewart, 2nd Earl of Buchan, Chamberlain of Scotland to command the Scottish expeditionary force, the largest army that medieval Scotland had ever sent abroad. 7000-8000 men arrived at La Rochelle in October 1419 and made their way to Tours to greet the Dauphin. The first thing the future Charles VII did was to shower munificence upon the Scottish nobles. Buchan received Châtillon-sur-Indre, the Earl of Wigtoun received Dun-le-Roi, Sir John Stewart of Darnley received Concressault, and Thomas Seton the castle of Langeais. The Scottish leaders were persuaded to return to Scotland to recruit more troops. The Scottish leadership returned in 1420 with another 4000-5000 reinforcements. While their leaders were at home the Dauphin assigned the Scottish contingent throughout his armies and garrisons and picked a number roughly one hundred of the best warriors to be his personal body guard.

The Scotsmen fought with distinction throughout France with a notable win at the Battle of Baugé in 1421, where the Duke of Clarence was said to have been felled by Buchan's Mace. However, the Scots faced a calamity at the Battle of Verneuil in 1424, when they lost 6000 men. Although saddened by the loss of so many of his loyal Scotsmen, Charles VII continued to honour the survivors. The Scots had a further setback at the Battle of the Herrings in 1429. The Scottish Army in France fragmented into free companies (a headache for the French state), and also into Compagnies d'ordonnance within the French Army.

Life Guards

However the King kept about him his Garde Écossaise. The Scottish Guards had likely protected him during the murder of John the Fearless at the bridge of Montereau, and rescued him from a fire in Gascony in 1442. There were Scottish Guards who fell at the Battle of Montlhéry defending their King, Louis XI of France, in 1465. It was an officer of the Life guards Patrick de Spens who wounded the Charles the Rash Duke of Burgundy who died soon after in January 1477. The king Charles VIII takes the motto of this officer in his honour: "Si Deus (pro nobis), Quis contra (nos)?""

Anyone able to translate the French / Latin? above?

But, of more importance one must actually look into the activities of the "Free Companies!"

In many ways, the Scot Guard reminds me of those guards of David and Soloman!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 13:10
heh, I had no idea that there is an astorid belt named after my city. Posnania - is the latin name of my city, in Polish known as Poznan and in other languages also as Posen.

The informations I gave above come mostly from the article of professor Stefan Zabieglik of University of Gdansk who is teaching about the culture and history of Scotland. 

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 13:17
Actually Poznan, was a very important city!

Wiki says in part this;

"The Russian version of the name, Познань (Poznan'), is of feminine gender, in contrast to the Polish name, which is masculine."

Which I think is somewhat important!

But, is there any literary information about the Jewish concentration in this city?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 13:42
Originally posted by Carol

I am thinking the US prided itself too much for its religious tolerance and assimilation of mixed people because this is presented as unique to the United States.  Increasingly, I am realizing this is not unique to the US.   It is a cultural trait of tolerance, and I am wanting to know what cultures shared this trait, and the conditions for this beginning a cultural trait.  

Such state like Poland - Lithuania had no other choise but to fell in the series of religious wars or to introduce the policy of religious tollerance.

This is part of book titled "History of protestantism" written by an english writter James A. Wylie. IMHO it is very biased and anti-catholic but describes well the the religious tollerance in Poland - Lithuania.

The next move of the priests landed them in open conflict with the popular sentiment and the chartered rights of the nation. No country in Europe enjoyed at that hour a greater degree of liberty than did Poland. The towns, many of which were flourishing, elected their own magistrates, and thus each city, as regarded its internal affairs, was a little republic. The nobles, who formed a tenth of the population, were a peculiar and privileged class. Some of them were owners of vast domains, inhabited castles, and lived in great magnificence. Others of them tilled their own lands; but all of them, grandee and husbandman alike, were equal before the law, and neither their persons nor property could be disposed of, save by the Diet. The king himself was subject to the law. We find the eloquent but versatile Orichovius, who now thundered against the Pope, and now threw himself prostrate before him, saying in one of his philippics, "Your Romans bow their knees before the crowd of your menials; they bear on their necks the degrading yoke of the Roman scribes; but such is not the case with us, where the law rules even the throne." The free constitution of the country was a shield to its Protestantism, as the clergy had now occasion to experience. Stanislav Stadnicki, a nobleman of large estates and great influence, having embraced the Reformed opinions, established the Protestant worship according to the forms of Geneva on his domains. He was summoned to answer for his conduct before the tribunal of the bishop. Stadnicki replied that he was quite ready to justify both his opinions and his acts. The court, however, had no wish to hear what he had to say in behalf of his faith, and condemned him, by default, to civil death and loss of property. Had the clergy wished to raise a flame all over the kingdom, they could have done nothing more fitted to gain their end.

Stadnicki assembled his fellow-nobles and told them what the priests had done. The Polish grandees had ever been jealous of the throne, but here was an ecclesiastical body, acting under an irresponsible foreign chief, assuming a power which the king had never ventured to exercise, disposing of the lives and properties of the nobles without reference to any will or ally tribunal save their own. The idea was not to be endured. There rung a loud outcry against ecclesiastical tyranny all throughout Poland; and the indignation was brought to a height by numerous apprehensions, at that same time, at the instance of the bishops, of influential persons — among others, priests of blameless life, who had offended against the law of clerical celibacy, and whom the Roman clergy sought to put to death, but could not, simply from the circumstance that they could find no magistrate willing to execute their sentences.

At this juncture it happened that the National Diet (1552) assembled. Unmistakable signs were apparent at its opening of the strong anti-Papal feeling that animated many of its members. As usual, its sessions were inaugurated by the solemn performance of high mass. The king in his robes was present, and with him were the ministers of his council, the officers of his household, and the generals of his army, bearing the symbols of their office, and wearing the stars and insignia of their rank; and there, too, were the senators of the Upper Chamber, and the members of the Lower House. All that could be done by chants and incense, by splendid vestments and priestly Fires, to make the service impressive, and revive the decaying veneration of the worshippers for the Roman Church, was done. The great words which effect the prodigy of transubstantiation had been spoken; the trumpet blared, and the clang of grounded arms rung through the building. The Host was being elevated, and the king and his court fell on their knees; but many of the deputies, instead of prostrating themselves, stood erect and turned away their faces. Raphael Leszczynski, a nobleman of high character and great possessions, expressed his dissent from Rome's great mystery in manner even more marked: he wore his hat all through the performance. The priests saw, but dared not reprove, this contempt of their rites.

The auguries with which the Diet had opened did not fail of finding ample fulfilment in its subsequent proceedings. The assembly chose as its president Leszczynski — the nobleman who had remained uncovered during mass, and who had previously resigned his senatorial dignity in order to become a member of the Lower House. The Diet immediately took into consideration the jurisdiction wielded by the bishops. The question put in debate was this — Is such jurisdiction, carrying civil effects, compatible with the rights of the crown and the freedom of the nation? The Diet decided that it was consistent with neither the prerogatives of the sovereign nor the liberties of the people, and resolved to abolish it, so far as it had force in law. King Sigismund Augustus thought it very possible that if he were himself to mediate in the matter he would, at least, succeed in softening the fall of the bishops, if only he could persuade them to make certain concessions. But he was mistaken: the ecclesiastical dignitaries were perverse, and resolutely refused to yield one iota of their powers. Thereupon the Diet issued its decree, which the king ratified, that the clergy should retain the power of judging of heresy, but have no power of inflicting civil or criminal punishment on the condemned. Their spiritual sentences were henceforward to carry no temporal effects whatever. The Diet of 1552 may be regarded as the epoch of the downfall of Roman Catholic predominancy in Poland, and of the establishment in that country of the liberty of all religious confessions.

The anger of the bishops was inflamed to the utmost. They entered their solemn protest against the enactment of the Diet. The mitre was shorn of half its splendor, and the crozier of more than half its power, by being disjoined from the sword. They left the Senate-hall in a body, and threatened to resign their senatorial dignities. The Diet heard their threats unmoved, and as it made not the slightest effort either to prevent their departure or to recall them after they were gone, but, on the contrary, went on with its business as if nothing unusual had occurred, the bishops returned and took their seats of their own accord.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 14:13
Originally posted by opuslola

Actually Poznan, was a very important city!

Wiki says in part this;

"The Russian version of the name, Познань (Poznan'), is of feminine gender, in contrast to the Polish name, which is masculine."

Which I think is somewhat important!

But, is there any literary information about the Jewish concentration in this city?

The oldest mention about the Jews in the chronicles of my city comes from year 1367 AD when the Jews built their first synagogue in the city, most of them was living on one long street which till today is named "Jewish Street. The most important conflict with Jews was raised in year 1399 when Jews were accused for desacration of "hostia" - sacramental bread in the catholic church. One Jewish rabin, 13 Jews and one jewish woman were sentenced for death. Also the Jews were obliged for eternity to march once a year on Corpus Christi fest with the picture on which was painted how they desacrated sacramental bread. This custom was carried till year 1722 AD when the Jews in my city were released from this punishment.

The life of Jews especially in medieval times in Poland wasnt easy but looks like that still better than in other parts of Europe, because to Poland were emigrating the Jews from all the western Europe, even from Spain. In the half of XVI century in Poznan lived about 1500 Jews, what was one of the biggest Jewish communities in Europe, especially their number raised after Jews were banished in Brandenburg (Germany) and there from they came to Poznan.

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Jul-2010 at 14:14
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 14:18
Dear Mosquito, the reason I asked about Jews was this from one of your earlier posts!

"Scots were called in Poland "Szots" and worked as merchants and soldiers in the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania. In year 1603 King of Poland and Lithuania Sigismundus III Vasa has nominated the Scot Abraham Jung, commander of Scotish infantry in Polish army - a governor of all Scotts in Poland, giving him the judical and administrative powers."

Abraham Jung, just has to be a Jew! Even if one spells his name "Young?"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 14:26
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear Mosquito, the reason I asked about Jews was this from one of your earlier posts!

"Scots were called in Poland "Szots" and worked as merchants and soldiers in the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania. In year 1603 King of Poland and Lithuania Sigismundus III Vasa has nominated the Scot Abraham Jung, commander of Scotish infantry in Polish army - a governor of all Scotts in Poland, giving him the judical and administrative powers."

Abraham Jung, just has to be a Jew! Even if one spells his name "Young?"
Im not so sure about it. I think biblical names could have been popular that time and Jung - might be German as well. But professor Stefan Zabieglik author of the article about Scotts in Poland has written that he was scottish. Thats all I know about and cant confirm or deny your theory.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 14:36
I googled in Polish for Abraham Jung and found only one more mention about him, on the page about the history of city of Lublin.

In my free translation from Polish:

"The Scotts had in Poland their governor who held the highest power over them. For example in year 1604 it was Abraham Jung - commander of royal (Polish) Scottish Infantry Regiment. Scottish community of Poland was very solidary and cared for its connections with their homeland. When Charles II Stuart had to escape from England because of revolution and rules of Cromwell, the Scots in Poland including those from city of Lublin were taxed to aid him."

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 14:55
I FOUND SOMTHING INTERESTING and in English - written by a Scot:

On the trail of Scots in Northern Poland

About six years ago I moved from Glasgow to Poland. I am married to a Polish woman from Olsztyn, in the north. In the last few years I have become increasingly interested in the history of 16th/17th Scots in the area and have found myself searching out some of the places where they lived.

In most cases there is very little left, however, in a few places there are real treasures. I first became interested in the subject while helping some Germans look for family roots. I was looking through some church archives for names in the local villages around Olsztyn. During one archive search I was amazed to see my own surname, Hill, in the parish book of a little village which I knew. I knew Hill might be a German name (many of the villages had German inhabitants before the war) but I started to look for information about Scots in East Prussia. It was through this I found Fischer’s books on Scots in Germany and Prussia on the Electric Scotland website, as well as a book about Scots in Poland. I found that there were a number towns and villages in the region around Olsztyn which had once had Scottish residents or communities. Obviously, big cities like Gdansk were major places for 16th/17th C Scots to arrive and live. Even today there is a district of the city known as Nowa Szkocja. 14th C Scottish knights had even helped the Teutonic Order with their crusades in Prussia. One, Lord Douglas, was killed by English knights in Gdansk. Further south, I found there was a little village called Szkotowo (“Scots-ville”).

I haven’t found out much about it, but it is near a Teutonic castle town, Nidzice, and dates from around the same time (14thC). Nidzice certainly has Scottish connections, as James VI once petitioned the local authorities on behalf of a Scottish resident of the town.

James seems to have had a lot of communication with the Polish kings. On one occasion he demanded the execution of a gentleman who had written some scathing comments about the Scottish and Scotland (in revenge for being laughed at in Scotland because of his German/Polish clothes). The texts were destroyed and the gentleman was beheaded in Kętrzyn. James also persuaded both the German and Polish authorities to allow Scots to stay in Germany, Prussia and Poland. Many Scots were traveling peddlers and had a bad name for flouting trade laws and undercutting local merchants, particularly by avoiding payment of import/export taxes between Prussia and Poland. James made the Scottish communities form into ‘Brotherhoods’ and many major cities (Torun, Gdansk, Krakow, Warsaw and Lublin) had one.

Indeed, one Scottish resident of Warsaw, Alexander Chalmers, became Mayor of Warsaw. A plaque was recently mounted on his former house in Warsaw Old Town.

It was whilst reading about this that I made one of my major finds. In Fischer’s book there is a story of a Scottish merchant who, whilst traveling between two towns (Orneta and Dobre Miasto) met a young Scots ploughboy working in the fields. He took the boy to the Jesuit college in nearby Braniewo (co-founded by a Scottish Jesuit) and got him educated. The young boy went on to become a successful merchant and returned to the little village and built a chapel to St Rochus in 1617.

While reading the story I had to translate the German names of the villages (as in the text) into Polish. I was amazed when I realized where the village was (Lubomino) and that weekend I hurried there to see it. I later managed to gain access to the chapel and see the interior (sadly it was damaged during the wars but is still intact).

I keep finding new places and new information (new to me, anyway) and I enjoy visiting these places. Often there is no sign that the Scots were ever there, but as an immigrant of Scottish descent (my father was Scottish) it somehow makes me feel part of my new home, knowing others have been there before. This was brought home to me when I was speaking to a Polish colleague and I mentioned about the huge economic migration of Scots in 16th/17thC (and the smaller one in 19thC). “And they’re still coming… you’re here now!”

I haven’t been able to find out anymore about the Hill families in the local villages (although I did locate a descendant in Germany), although, funnily enough, an old map of the village where I now live, shows the house across the road was once owned by a “Joseph Hill”. I have also found a reference to a Scottish Mr Hill in Gdansk who died owing money. I hope nobody comes knocking on my door asking if we’re related. The interest after 300 years would be huge!

TREV HILL (March 2009)

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Jul-2010 at 14:59
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 15:08
And one long article titled:

The learned Scots in Poland (from the mid-sixteenth to the close of the eighteenth century)

can be found here:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>