Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Tibet a part of China???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Tibet a part of China???
    Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 11:27

@Forgotten

Turkic10 wrote:
There are no 'pure' blooded Mongolians anywhere. They are a mixed blood (Mongol/Han Chinese) people  today. In fact most of the Turkic peoples to the west of Mongolia are of mixed blood. Of course, that carries on all the way to the Atlantic for the rest of the European people. Even many Chinese people carry the genes of other races.

this is totaly wrong , nowdays there are alot of mixed blooded everywhere but that doesnt mean that there are no pure blooded people at all ! get real and there are alot of turkic pure blood and mongolians pure blood , chinese now are trying to make everyone in china mixed with hans so they can erase thier history.

This is totaly interesting for me, ive heard of fake historicaly buildings in Eastern Turkestan made by the ruling Han goverment. But this is getting far

tubo wrote:

i have a question for all chinese here....can you  tell me about the origin of tibetan people

one answer , tibetian are tibetian they are not hans not chinese also like uyghurs and mongolians

Totaly agree with it

OUT OF LIMIT
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 13:31

Originally posted by Omnipotence

Yan, I do not remember the correct number, but Guo Hua is right when saying there's more pure blooded Mongolians in inner Mongolia than outer Mongolia.

If you mean people of Mongol ethnicity, it is 2.6 million in Outer vs. roughly 4 million ( if you exclude those who just claim Mongol ethnicity in order to get more kids etc) or less (if you exclude those who can't speak Mongolian). There's definitely less than three fourths of all Mongolians living in the PRC.

To say outer Mongolia wasn't given a choice is wrong. When the Mongol's rebelled, China was at a civil war and thus can't force Mongolia to do anything.
I said Inner Mongolia wasn't given a choice, and I'll stand by it. As you might know the civil war didn't even stop Chinese warlords from re-occupying Outer Mongolia from 1919 to 1921.

Mongolia was never accepted as a part of China for "thousands of years", but definitely for hundreds of yrs, since China invaded Mongolia and Mongolia invaded China and integrated, etc...
China didn't invade Mongolia. The Manchu subordinated the Inner Mongolians before they invaded China. Outer Mongolia submitted to the Qing at the end of the 17th century, but certainly not because they thought the Qing were Chinese.  

Amazingly Inner Mongolia is actually more Mongolian than outer Mongolia. They still use the Mongol script, while outer Mongolia changed to an alphabetical language from Siberia(forgot what it's called).
I just hope you're not implying the PRC is less chinese than Japan because the simplified/short script is further from the traditional/long hanzi than kanjis are.

If you had argued that more traditional customs, festivities etc have survived in Inner Mongolia than in Outer Mongolia, you would at least have had a point, even though most Inner Mongolians have settled down, even though many of them lost their language, even though the government tells them how many children are allowed etc. Just pointing to the form of the letters they use, and ignoring culture, language and lifestyle is rather unconvincing, though.

If you ask me, asking Mongolian's to be a part of China has a much better chance than asking Taiwan.
I rather ask Mongolians, thank you. As long as presidential candidates think they can get advantages by spreading rumours about the Chinese (or rather, Inner Mongolian) origin of their opponents I guess the answers I got so far are not that unrepresentative.

Edited by yan.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 13:37
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

They use Cyrrillic for their writing, although I hear that Mongol script is having a renaissance.
They're teaching the classical script in school again, but cyrillic is much more popular so far, because people are used to it and the classical orthography is not very suitable to the Halh dialect. The classical script is harder to use on computers, too.
tubo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 14:00
Originally posted by Kenaney

@Forgotten

Turkic10 wrote:
There are no 'pure' blooded Mongolians anywhere. They are a mixed blood (Mongol/Han Chinese) people  today. In fact most of the Turkic peoples to the west of Mongolia are of mixed blood. Of course, that carries on all the way to the Atlantic for the rest of the European people. Even many Chinese people carry the genes of other races.

this is totaly wrong , nowdays there are alot of mixed blooded everywhere but that doesnt mean that there are no pure blooded people at all ! get real and there are alot of turkic pure blood and mongolians pure blood , chinese now are trying to make everyone in china mixed with hans so they can erase thier history.

This is totaly interesting for me, ive heard of fake historicaly buildings in Eastern Turkestan made by the ruling Han goverment. But this is getting far

tubo wrote:

i have a question for all chinese here....can you  tell me about the origin of tibetan people

one answer , tibetian are tibetian they are not hans not chinese also like uyghurs and mongolians

Totaly agree with it

so we are not related in anyway to china?........thats good to know....just kiddin man.

i paticularily want to know the aftermath of TUBO fall.how did we become so deeply buddhist?and so on......i know that our last emperor got assasinated for his suppression of buddhism.

Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 21:28

If you mean people of Mongol ethnicity, it is 2.6 million in Outer vs. roughly 4 million ( if you exclude those who just claim Mongol ethnicity in order to get more kids etc) or less (if you exclude those who can't speak Mongolian). There's definitely less than three fourths of all Mongolians living in the PRC.

I've said there's more, not how much more. By the way exluding those who can't speak Mongolian is extremely unfair. You are taking away babies and those who can't speak.

"I said Inner Mongolia wasn't given a choice, and I'll stand by it."

That depends on how you define choice. With China in the midst of the civil war, and with Mongolia promise of Russian protection, I would say they are given a choice. Not surprising, inner Mongolia is a tug-of-war field between Chinese dynasties and Mongolia for a long time, thus having a multitude of ethnicities.

"China didn't invade Mongolia. The Manchu subordinated the Inner Mongolians before they invaded China. Outer Mongolia submitted to the Qing at the end of the 17th century, but certainly not because they thought the Qing were Chinese.  "

This is nationalism through ethnicity, a largely European concept, and thus unkown to the Eastern world during the end of the 17th century. The Manchurians were sinicized and conquered only a part of Mongolia. By the time the Ming was not a threat, Qing was considered the real rulers of China and conquered the rest. And then there's a Mongolian rebellion during the reign of KangXi(so obviously they have to conquer it again).

I just hope you're not implying the PRC is less chinese than Japan because the simplified/short script is further from the traditional/long hanzi than kanjis are.

"If you had argued that more traditional customs, festivities etc have survived in Inner Mongolia than in Outer Mongolia, you would at least have had a point, even though most Inner Mongolians have settled down, even though many of them lost their language, even though the government tells them how many children are allowed etc. Just pointing to the form of the letters they use, and ignoring culture, language and lifestyle is rather unconvincing, though."

Yes, yes, I am aware that language is not everything, but I didn't want to list them all. And what do you mean language? It's the outer Mongolians that lost it. Telling how many children are allowed is crude, but nessasary in a overpopulated country. The Mongolian ethnicity already got it easy since they are allowed to have more than the Han. As I've stated, language-wise Inner Mongolia is more "mongolian" than the outer. Culture and lifestyle is much intertwined, but on living conditions(sedentary/nomadic), both have cities, but yet also have nomadic populations. 

"I rather ask Mongolians, thank you. As long as presidential candidates think they can get advantages by spreading rumours about the Chinese (or rather, Inner Mongolian) origin of their opponents I guess the answers I got so far are not that unrepresentative."

Than in all fairness you wouldn't be in this forum talking of Tibetan independence and instead asking Tibetans. Why don't you(or we?)? Because there's not a lot of outer Mongolians/Tibetans(excluding those not in Tibet, no offence Tubo) on the internet. Thus we can only lower ourselves to make assumptions of what they want. My assupmtion is based on a higher GDP, better living conditions, and some cultural values(as well as a rumour of outer Mongolians wanting to join China, based on a Mongolian<outer> newspaper). However, I am merely saying that China has a bigger CHANCE, not that it will. Nationalism is a HUGE factor and would in comparison pale all the reasons I've listed. We all know that most Taiwanese would drop dead rather than join the PRC(unless if it comes to war).

Edited by Omnipotence
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 21:39

To Forgotten, with all due respect, if anyone is a racist, right now it's you. Please don't blame all Chinese for something only a few of them did. Tying in the American invasion of Indian territory is not racist, but merely a parallel of the invasion of Tibet(there's even more parallels to the American Civil War).

And Tibetans/Uyghers/Mongolians in China can be considered non-Chinese, as you say. It depends on how you look at it. In outward appearance they are Chinese, they have a Chinese ID, a Chinese passport, and protected by the Chinese government instead of another government. If you define your country of origin besides these things(i.e. a person's heart), then yes, you may say Tibetans are not Chinese(some of them).

Yes, I grieve of the state Tubo's parents had been in(although not nearly enough, given we're strangers and havn't met face to face. I wish I'm that good a person, but I won't decieve myself), but would you solve it by repeating the same mistakes twice? To free Tibet means more people in the situation of Tubo's parents. It would be "my parents refused to leave their home in Tibet and thus spent their life(or died) in jail". No offense to anyone intended.

Edited by Omnipotence
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 12:06

Omnipotence

Well written.  Bravo!

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 12:37
Originally posted by Omnipotence

I've said there's more, not how much more.

I said guohua's numbers were far off, and you said he wasn't entirely wrong. 

By the way exluding those who can't speak Mongolian is extremely unfair. You are taking away babies and those who can't speak.
 There are a lot Inner Mongolians who can speak in principle, but not Mongolian. I don't have numbers at hand, but I can name Ulaanhuu as an example.

"I said Inner Mongolia wasn't given a choice, and I'll stand by it."

That depends on how you define choice. With China in the midst of the civil war, and with Mongolia promise of Russian protection, I would say they are given a choice. Not surprising, inner Mongolia is a tug-of-war field between Chinese dynasties and Mongolia for a long time, thus having a multitude of ethnicities.

No, you're wrong again. As mentioned before, China (or rather, one warlord faction) could even re-invade Outer Mongolia 'in the midst of the civil war', and they had a firm grip on Inner Mongolia for most of the time. Russia actively disencouraged Outer Mongolians from supporting Inner Mongolian independence movements in order to avoid further conflict with Japan and China, and Japan wasn't interested in Inner Mongolian independence movements most of the time (except for the short period in 1919 that saw the whitist Pan-Mongolian Movement, and after 1937)

"China didn't invade Mongolia. The Manchu subordinated the Inner Mongolians before they invaded China. Outer Mongolia submitted to the Qing at the end of the 17th century, but certainly not because they thought the Qing were Chinese.  "

This is nationalism through ethnicity, a largely European concept, and thus unkown to the Eastern world during the end of the 17th century. The Manchurians were sinicized and conquered only a part of Mongolia. By the time the Ming was not a threat, Qing was considered the real rulers of China and conquered the rest. And then there's a Mongolian rebellion during the reign of KangXi(so obviously they have to conquer it again).

You really think East Asians (or at least, the elites) didn't have a concept of ethnicity in the 17th century? I think Mongolians had a concept of ethnicity, or at least of the difference between them and China, even during Yuan Dynasty, 400 years earlier. At least if you don't imply that Chinese were included when Chinggis was proclaimed king of all people who live in gers. 

You might also want to look up the history of Kangxi's subordination of the Outer Mongolian nobles again. There was no rebellion, they just had stupidly started a conflict with a much stronger opponent. They chose to submit to a friendly entity in which half of the state was run by mongols, with a royal family where the wives of an emperor used to be Mongolian, rather than to face defeat and the loss of their wealth by an unfriendly entity, even if that unfriendly entity was entirely Mongolian.

And yes, there are actually primary sources who back this claim up.

"If you had argued that more traditional customs, festivities etc have survived in Inner Mongolia than in Outer Mongolia, you would at least have had a point, even though most Inner Mongolians have settled down, even though many of them lost their language, even though the government tells them how many children are allowed etc. Just pointing to the form of the letters they use, and ignoring culture, language and lifestyle is rather unconvincing, though."

Yes, yes, I am aware that language is not everything, but I didn't want to list them all. And what do you mean language? It's the outer Mongolians that lost it.

You do know that there is a difference between language and script, don't you? Correct me if I'm wrong, but our conversation is not in Latin, is it? btw. I think I could stop using the and umlauts tomorrow, and stop capitalizing nouns, without becoming any less german. I think could even start using the cyrillic alphabet without losing any bit of my language. 

Telling how many children are allowed is crude, but nessasary in a overpopulated country. The Mongolian ethnicity already got it easy since they are allowed to have more than the Han.
Yep, they are allowed to have one more. The fact alone that such an important aspect of life is regulated according to the needs of Han Chinese (and not to the needs of Mongolians themselves) shows how Mongolian Inner Mongolians can be.

As I've stated, language-wise Inner Mongolia is more "mongolian" than the outer. Culture and lifestyle is much intertwined, but on living conditions(sedentary/nomadic), both have cities, but yet also have nomadic populations. 
Just that Inner Mongolians nomadic population is disappearing very quickly, not least due to restrictions imposed by the government.

"I rather ask Mongolians, thank you. As long as presidential candidates think they can get advantages by spreading rumours about the Chinese (or rather, Inner Mongolian) origin of their opponents I guess the answers I got so far are not that unrepresentative."

Than in all fairness you wouldn't be in this forum talking of Tibetan independence and instead asking Tibetans. Why don't you(or we?)? Because there's not a lot of outer Mongolians/Tibetans(excluding those not in Tibet, no offence Tubo) on the internet. Thus we can only lower ourselves to make assumptions of what they want. My assupmtion is based on a higher GDP, better living conditions, and some cultural values(as well as a rumour of outer Mongolians wanting to join China, based on a Mongolian<outer> newspaper). However, I am merely saying that China has a bigger CHANCE, not that it will. Nationalism is a HUGE factor and would in comparison pale all the reasons I've listed. We all know that most Taiwanese would drop dead rather than join the PRC(unless if it comes to war).

You might have heard that Taiwan's opposition leader visited the PRC some time ago, apparently on a mission to support the one-China policy. 

I've come across that 'mongols want to join china'-rumour several times already, and I'd be quite grateful if you could point me to an Outer Mongolian source (on the web, preferably). None of the outer Mongolians I talked to so far knew of any such desires by any political or other group. My guess was so far that some nationalists demanded a unification with Inner Mongolia (not with the rest of China), and the Chinese side got it wrong. Similar to what happened during the negotiations between Mao and Mikoyan in feb. 1949, just the other way 'round. But I'd like to know for sure.

In real life, the Mongolian desire to join China is no greater than Western Poles' desire to join Germany, or the Cambodians' desire to join Thailand. Obviously it is much easier to spread rumours when the other side is relatively quiet, but that's no excuse to stop thinking when one comes across nonsensical claims.

Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 16:42

"I said guohua's numbers were far off, and you said he wasn't entirely wrong. "

Yes, I said I don't know the exact number, i just know that one's bigger than the other.

"No, you're wrong again. As mentioned before, China (or rather, one warlord faction) could even re-invade Outer Mongolia 'in the midst of the civil war', and they had a firm grip on Inner Mongolia for most of the time. Russia actively disencouraged Outer Mongolians from supporting Inner Mongolian independence movements in order to avoid further conflict with Japan and China, and Japan wasn't interested in Inner Mongolian independence movements most of the time (except for the short period in 1919 that saw the whitist Pan-Mongolian Movement, and after 1937)"

No, Outer Mongolia took over places of Inner Mongolia during the Civil War. Panicked China decided to sign an agreement in which Inner Mongolia was China's and Outer wasn't. No way China would do this if they knew they can win.

"You really think East Asians (or at least, the elites) didn't have a concept of ethnicity in the 17th century? I think Mongolians had a concept of ethnicity, or at least of the difference between them and China, even during Yuan Dynasty, 400 years earlier. At least if you don't imply that Chinese were included when Chinggis was proclaimed king of all people who live in gers. "

Ethnicity is much different than nationalism through ethnicity. The concept of ethnicity is a given.

"You might also want to look up the history of Kangxi's subordination of the Outer Mongolian nobles again. There was no rebellion, they just had stupidly started a conflict with a much stronger opponent. They chose to submit to a friendly entity in which half of the state was run by mongols, with a royal family where the wives of an emperor used to be Mongolian, rather than to face defeat and the loss of their wealth by an unfriendly entity, even if that unfriendly entity was entirely Mongolian."

This part is confusing, care to clarify? But fact is, where there's battle's within this "civil war"(or not civil war as you state), then what is it if it's not a rebellion? However, I am guessing(not sure) that you are talking of the Khalkla vs the Dzungars. The Khalkla on the losing side joined with the Qing, but after the Dzungars lost against the Qing. This would still be invading, since the Dzungars are also Mongolian.

"You do know that there is a difference between language and script, don't you? Correct me if I'm wrong, but our conversation is not in Latin, is it? btw. I think I could stop using the and umlauts tomorrow, and stop capitalizing nouns, without becoming any less german. I think could even start using the cyrillic alphabet without losing any bit of my language. "

Sorry for the confusion... But would England lose their "language" if they went from English to Chinese? Yes(now you know what I mean). Just like Chinese changed over time, so did the Mongolian one(or script). It depends on how you see it, depending on the difference that language underwent. Amazing that ancient Chinese is still called Chinese by many, but not Latin/English. This is probably because of the degree of difference the two underwent. Same with the Mongolian script.

"Yep, they are allowed to have one more. The fact alone that such an important aspect of life is regulated according to the needs of Han Chinese (and not to the needs of Mongolians themselves) shows how Mongolian Inner Mongolians can be."

First, if they are allowed to have one more, then in what way is that regulated towards the needs of the Han Chinese? If what you say is true, it would be the other way around.

"Just that Inner Mongolians nomadic population is disappearing very quickly, not least due to restrictions imposed by the government."

More like the Industrial Revolution of China. One simply can't compete remaining in a nomadic way of life.

"You might have heard that Taiwan's opposition leader visited the PRC some time ago, apparently on a mission to support the one-China policy. "

Which is why the oppostion leader's party isn't so popular as Chen in Taiwan. I wonder why? Add two and two together, and you get... Taiwan independence.

"You might have heard that Taiwan's opposition leader visited the PRC some time ago, apparently on a mission to support the one-China policy. 

I've come across that 'mongols want to join china'-rumour several times already, and I'd be quite grateful if you could point me to an Outer Mongolian source (on the web, preferably). None of the outer Mongolians I talked to so far knew of any such desires by any political or other group. My guess was so far that some nationalists demanded a unification with Inner Mongolia (not with the rest of China), and the Chinese side got it wrong. Similar to what happened during the negotiations between Mao and Mikoyan in feb. 1949, just the other way 'round. But I'd like to know for sure.

In real life, the Mongolian desire to join China is no greater than Western Poles' desire to join Germany, or the Cambodians' desire to join Thailand. Obviously it is much easier to spread rumours when the other side is relatively quiet, but that's no excuse to stop thinking when one comes across nonsensical claims."

As said Mongolia has a better CHANCE of willingly joining China than Taiwan, not that they want to. You don't hear rumours of most Taiwanese wanting to join the Mainland, do you? As I've stated, Mongolian relations with China is a hell of a lot better than Chinese relations with Taiwan. This one should know. Second Mongolia joining China has much more obvious advantages than Taiwan joining china. Please don't think I'm talking of what they Mongolian's WANT, just comparing it to the typical Taiwanese. 

PS The newspaper I mentioned was not read by me, but also comes with the rumors.

Edited by Omnipotence
guo hua View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:30
Originally posted by yan.

[quote]Mongolia was never
accepted as a part of
China for "thousands of years", but definitely for
hundreds of yrs, since China invaded Mongolia and
Mongolia invaded China and integrated, etc...[/
quote]China didn't invade Mongolia.
TheManchusubordinated theInner Mongolians
before they invaded China. Outer Mongolia
submitted to the Qing at the end of the 17th century,
but certainlynot because they thought the Qing were
Chinese.

Mongolia plain is only a vast land with plenty of
herdmans tribe in different sizes, a thousand year
ago. No people had claim on it but was heavily
guarded as a must path zone to to central plain at
china proper by several dynasty' government.

Another thing, whether Mongol, Manchu, Han, Hui, or
any of the official claimed 56 ethnic group and the
unofficial claimed of 183 ethnic group in China, are
Chinese Nationalities. Same as whatever the White,
Black, Hispanic, Asian & Arab who are citizen of USA,
are consider US.American.

GERMANIC BARBARIAN KEEP IT IN YOUR MIND.
PLS

Edited by guo hua
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 12:58
Ok, Guo Hua, we will not be calling anyone barbarians.

Thread closed until further notice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213