Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Men who wore jewellery!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Men who wore jewellery!
    Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 07:29
It can be said that wearing earrings was one of the main characteristics of ancient Iranian men, you can hardly find any Persian or Parthin king without earrings, for example look at a bust of Shapur the Great:

Or a coin of Vologases II:

Iranian men also wore bracelets, necklaces and other jewellery, I'm interested to know about the origin of this cultural behavior, there were certainly some men from other cultures who did the same, but were there other nations that men generally wore jewellery? I think ancient Greeks and Romans had a negative view of it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 11:52
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

It can be said that wearing earrings was one of the main characteristics of ancient Iranian men, you can hardly find any Persian or Parthin king without earrings, for example look at a bust of Shapur the Great:

Or a coin of Vologases II:

Iranian men also wore bracelets, necklaces and other jewellery, I'm interested to know about the origin of this cultural behavior, there were certainly some men from other cultures who did the same, but were there other nations that men generally wore jewellery? I think ancient Greeks and Romans had a negative view of it.

I wonder if rings count- I have a nice gold ring that is over 100 years old that belonged to my late Papoo.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 13:40
So? Just what is different from the last twenty five or so years here in the USA?

But, myself, never!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 16:44
A popular way to display wealth and power.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 16:54
A popular way to display wealth and power.

Of course! I did once wear a gold chain around my neck, but my divorce from that chain, made me put it in a box!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2010 at 01:41
The average Pakistani immigrant in Norway uses earrings too, to show off like some of you've pointed out already. But it isn't that widespread among Iranians, Kurds, Iraqis etc., because it's looked upon as 'gay'. I'm just sayin'.

A.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2011 at 21:36
The Israelites wore earrings and nose-rings. These were melted down to make the golden calf
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 04:19
Jewelry was oldest way of money transfer.Therefore old chains were segment made and rings also.Western
Union&Money Gram were closed then.I believe also that segments had precise weight in local system of measures.You are going on market to buy ships with price of 20 ships a ring!Gold could be defended by man
but very hard by woman!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 05:58

Controversial picture of Ottoman sultan

Yavuz Sultân Selim Khan;Servant of the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina,
father of Suleiman the Magnificent

According to the legend, just women and male slaves could use earing in that time.  He was using earing because he seemed himself as a slave of god

but today, there is disagreement about this painting. Some authorities say, this guy is Shah Ismail from Iran
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 07:24
Mughal kings usually wore earrings too, anyway it can't be Shah Ismail, he had reddish-brown hair and beard, a painting of Shah Ismail:

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 10:43

Mughal kings usually wore earrings too

I try to remember this, but it is a bit difficult. In Turkish, we call them "Babür", so every time just for a second,  when I hear the word of Mughal, I firstly shock(like, what is that?) LOL  and I also found another turkish source. it says maybe Mughal king Jahangir

anyway it can't be Shah Ismail, he had reddish-brown hair and beard, a painting of Shah Ismail:

Yes, I saw that painting too. Firstly, we need to say something about them, maybe some of you don't know. Sultan Selim and Shah Ismail lived in same period.

Selim's this painting is famous in Turkey but now some authorities say, he didn't use earring so it is historical problem in Turkey. They are mentioning about earring traditions("mengûş") in some Shia groups (like Hayderis) and Ismails some miniatures which shows him with earrings.

It can be also imaginary painting too. Painter could have mixed the legends about Asian Sultans. Whoever is that guy, this is a painting of a man who wore jewelleryWink

Edited by Ollios - 06-Oct-2011 at 10:43
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 12:33
This is Jahangir:

But I think that is Akbar, father of Jahangir, who also lived in the early 16th century.

ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 21:42
The Asante nobility wore so much gold jewelry that some actually needed to be carried or supported by attendants because while wearing it they wouldn't be able to stand of their own accord.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 19:58

By the time of the Renaissance many European noblemen wore earrings. Perhaps they copied visiting Turkish and North African dignitaries, or the seafarers who brought them back from distant lands?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 12:21
In which country in North Africa were men known to wear earrings :S It's actually badly looked upon in both Arab and muslim culture.
Timidi mater non flet
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 18:21
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

In which country in North Africa were men known to wear earrings :S It's actually badly looked upon in both Arab and muslim culture.

Is that a trivia question? Because I would guess... Morocco.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 19:15
No my friend, Moroccans did not use to wear earrings either in the time of the Moors or nowadays. I myself being Moroccan can assure you that it's not socially accepted for a man to wear earrings.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 19:17
Wasn't North Africa part of the Turkish empire at this time? I assumed high-ranking locals copied the fashions of their Ottoman masters to demonstrate acceptance of their rule
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2011 at 19:02
I guess you might actually be right, except that morocco was never under Ottoman rule but still true for the rest of North Africa.
Timidi mater non flet
Alyazia View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Alyazia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 00:25
you forgot ancient egyptian pharaos
(:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>