Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does the group think about this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Night Crawler View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Night Crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does the group think about this
    Posted: 08-Jun-2010 at 19:36
I don't know if I believe it or not but, What does the group think about this:

Osama bin Laden and top aides are hiding in Sabzevar, Iran
DEBKAfile Exclusive Analysis June 8, 2010, 12:16 AM (GMT+02:00)

Tags:  Iran   Osama bin Laden 

Osama bin Laden stayed out of sight for years

Osama bin Laden's hiding place was pinned down for the first time Monday, June 7, by the Kuwaiti Al-Siyassa Monday, June 7, as the mountainous town of Savzevar in the northeastern Iranian province of Khorasan, 220 km west of Mashhad. He is said to have lived there under Tehran's protection for the last five years, along with Ayman Al-Zawahiri and five other high-ranking al Qaeda leaders.
debkafile's intelligence sources disclosed Monday night that Turkish prime minister Recep Erdogan and his intelligence chiefs are well aware that Bin Laden and Zawahiri are hiding in Iran. The leak to the Kuwait paper was intended to show the Obama administration that the Turkish leader's ties with Iran had grown intense enough for him to be fully in the picture of Iran's secret sanctuary for the authors of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

Savzevar, a small town of about a quarter of a million inhabitants, is connected by road to Tehran and Mashhad and has a small airport. A center for producing grapes and raisins, its location is remote and difficult to access because it is enclosed by lofty mountains and a salt desert 50,000 square kilometers in area.

On May 13, American intelligence sources reported in detail that senior al Qaeda operatives living in Iran had been allowed to leave the country through Syria to orchestrate terrorist attacks on American targets. Among them was Saif al-Adel, who is believed to have been assigned with planning an attack on the world soccer games opening in South Africa on June 12.

debkafile's counter-terror sources disclose that the purpose of airing their precise whereabouts at this time, aside from implicating the Turkish leader, was first, to warn al Qaeda's leaders that their hideout was blown and they had better move on - which would make them easier to catch; and, second, to nudge US president Barak Obama into a decision to go after them. 

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2010 at 03:20
What a nice excuse to invade Iran...Smile
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2010 at 11:22
I would think that it is unlikely, but not beyond the realm of believeability!

Certainly a powerful Iman would have to be involved? But, which ones have such power?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
azmo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote azmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 06:59
Originally posted by Patrinos

What a nice excuse to invade Iran...Smile

Well, do they have ``valid`` excuses at all? LOL

When it comes to war, everyone go take a nap. Much easier.

GO USA! Clap
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 10:52
Is Osama Shia or Sunni?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 14:44
Being from the Royal house of the Saudi, I would immediately suggest Sunni!

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 05:23
So something to consider when hiding in Shia Iran then.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 09:54
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

That excellent point and the fact that Iran has a functioning government which would love to execute him.

IMHO the only viable places for Ben Ladin to hide are Sunni areas without a functioning government or where the government is very weak. That leaves:
-Northwest frontier area of Pakistan
-Some parts of Somalia
-Some parts of Sudan
-Maybe Ambon area of Indonesia
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 11:28
Palestinians are also Sunni Muslims, but they are also strongly supported by Iranian government.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 11:30
Honestly, is Osama really who the West made him out to be, is he real? Does Al Qaeda truly exist? These are questions to consider as well.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 12:41
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by DreamWeaver

That excellent point and the fact that Iran has a functioning government which would love to execute him.

IMHO the only viable places for Ben Ladin to hide are Sunni areas without a functioning government or where the government is very weak. That leaves:
-Northwest frontier area of Pakistan
-Some parts of Somalia
-Some parts of Sudan
-Maybe Ambon area of Indonesia

You forgot pumping gas in Jersey City.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 16:12
I thought it was in Hoboken?

But, people seem to forget, he may still be a billionare? That kind of money and his successes (against the infidel), may get a lot of forgiveness from many Mullah's?

I am certainly not sure (weird combination what?) that Sunni or Shia means a whole lot to the terrorist groups? Mpstly they might well be first "Defenders of the Word?", and other differences may well be either ignored or forgotten?

But, like all things, I could be wrong?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 17:51
Osama bin Laden considers Shia's as infidels.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 17:58
TGS wrote;

"Osama bin Laden considers Shia's as infidels."

HALT THE PRESSES! CALL IN THE TALKING HEADS! NEW PERSONAL INFORMATION HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED FROM A CLOSE CONFIDANT TO OSAMA bIN-LADEN!

A real news-breaker!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2010 at 03:50
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Palestinians are also Sunni Muslims, but they are also strongly supported by Iranian government.

Israel, enemy of my enemy after all.

That said its not like other Middle Eastern nations dont support the Palestinians and then forget when its convenient.

Its not that Osama couldnt be in Iran, but given the mindsets of both sides, if the above is true, it would seem unlikely.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2010 at 13:56
Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that Shia and Sunni can agree when a "fatwah" is issued!

Edited by opuslola - 13-Jul-2010 at 13:56
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2010 at 14:43
We arent talking about ordinary Shia's and ordinary Sunnis, we are talking about Al Qaeda (which doesnt even consider Shia's as Muslims) and Iran (Shia dominated and vehemently against Sunni extremists).

If Osama was ever in Iran and the Iranian government found him, hes surely not alive anymore.
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 05:16
Greetings!  This is my first post here. 

I think we need to consider many variables and personal relationships here. 

1. True, Iran is the home of heretical Shiism and OBL is a champion of orthodox sunniism.  But No Muslims have an interest in seeing a member of the Ulema (Islamic Scholar) killed or captured by infidels.  Better keep him under house-arrest than grant a victory to the Crusaders.

2. It is Kuwaiti which broke the story.  Kuwait is a tiny country sandwiched in between 3 big countries: Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia.  The Kuwaitis are generally terrified of all three.  They don't like Saudi's religious zealotry.  They are bitter against the Iraqis (hence giving the Crusaders a base in Kuwait to attack other Muslims), and of course they are terrified of 70 million NON-Arabic- Speaking Persians about 50KM (30 miles) away.  The Kuwaitis may want to find a reason to keep the US interested in Kuwait after the Iraq war finishes next summer (for the US anyway). The departure of US troops will leave Kuwait vulnerable -- particularily from the north.

3. Turkey is split.   A leak such as this about Turkey being close to Iran could also be a red herring.  The Turkish military is Pro-Western and Pro-Israeli while Erdogan is not.  The Turkish generals are embarrassed by Erdogan's Islamism (most recently displayed in their Gaza Flotilla).  This could be planted information that is aimed at undermining the Islamists and garnering support for the Generals if they want to stage yet another coup.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2010 at 08:16
Originally posted by Patryk

Greetings!  This is my first post here. 

I think we need to consider many variables and personal relationships here. 

1. True, Iran is the home of heretical Shiism and OBL is a champion of orthodox sunniism.  But No Muslims have an interest in seeing a member of the Ulema (Islamic Scholar) killed or captured by infidels.  Better keep him under house-arrest than grant a victory to the Crusaders.

If the United States invaded Iran, most Sunni's would not come to Iran's aid whatsoever.

You think Sunni governments are helping the Shia's in Iraq? Absolutely not, they are helping the Sunni's in Iraq fight the Shia's. And same for Iran, Iran helps the Shia's in Iraq fight the Sunni's.

Extremist Shia's and extremist Sunni's hate each other, and they will kill each other, or help someone else kill them.

Originally posted by Patryk

3. Turkey is split.   A leak such as this about Turkey being close to Iran could also be a red herring.  The Turkish military is Pro-Western and Pro-Israeli while Erdogan is not.  The Turkish generals are embarrassed by Erdogan's Islamism (most recently displayed in their Gaza Flotilla).  This could be planted information that is aimed at undermining the Islamists and garnering support for the Generals if they want to stage yet another coup.

It appears as though there has been a shift in Turkey. Most Turks actually support Erdogans government.
Patryk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Patryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 04:48
I agree with your comments fully. 

Arab as well as Middle Eastern in general (Turks and Persians included) have multiple levels of loyalties.  They may be competing and even contradictory at any given moment.  Saudis will at once support the Iraqi Sunni insurgents against the US while supporting the US against Iran.  It is OUR FAULT (I am an American) that we don't understand or see these layers.  I believe it is a trait of Western Christians to be rather 2-Dimensional and linear in our thinking.  It is good in that our objectives are usually plan to see.  It is bad in that we project this habit on to others who are more secretive and furtive with their actions, and we endager ourselves and our civilization by our naivite. 

This happened during the Crusades.  There were points when the Kingdom of Jerusalem fought for the emir in Damascus against other Muslims and when Latin Christians fought Greek Christians.  It is a trait of the West to be clear about one's intentions -- not a Middle Eastern trait.  I have no problem in believing that Iran will, with one hand, strike out at the Sunnis in Iraq while giving refuge to a Sunni fighter against the West with the other hand.  Muslims are commanded to fight for Allah.  They will see no conflict in fighting Sunni enemies of God while helping another Sunni fight infidel enemies of God at the same time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>