Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chevrons, Crusaders, Sea People?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevrons, Crusaders, Sea People?
    Posted: 25-May-2010 at 12:18
The purpose of this and other related posts, is to make a possible connection to events now considered to be "very" ancient, with events that are much less ancient. I.e., 1,200 BCE is really about 1,200 CE!

In many archaeological digs, there have sometimes been found items, etc., that are considered "anachronistic!"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anachronistic

With this series of posts, I will make an argument that the People of the Sea", or "Sea Peoples", as depicted upon stone walls in Egypt, now thought to be a product of the 13th Century BCE, show at least one anachronism that has, at least to my knowledge, never been mentioned by anyone else than me!

Note, if you are here and reading this post, and you want to really know something about this discovery, then you will have to be prepared to read a lot and research a lot!

Making a new discovery about history is a lot like making a criminal case, ready for court, with a "corpus delicti" of little pieces! But, I hope it is still a viable "body of evidence?"

So, here we go! Part one!

On other sites found within the Inter-Net, I have made posts concerning the apparent use of "chevrons" in a military setting in times now considered as ancient. Specifically I was referring to the "chevrons" that can be seen upon the tunics or armour in a representation of what are today called "the people of the sea", or "Sea Peoples", or "People of the Isles",that had been found inscribed upon the walls of a great church? / temple at Medinet Habu in Egypt.

Reproductions of these murals in stone can be found at various sites on the Net, as well as in numerous books and magazines. Some of the representations found are better than others, but the best one clearly shows the sailors or warriors of the "Sea People" clearly depict large "chevrons" emblazoned upon what can only be described as "tunics" or "breast-plates" and showing various versions, ranging from two chevrons to five chevrons.

Below are two of the best sites I have been able to find during an Internet search on the subject;

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/rank_page/History_of_Enlisted_Ranks.htm

"Chevron" is an architectural term denoting the rafters of a roof meeting an angle at the upper apex. The chevron in heraldry was employed as a badge of honor to mark the main supporters of the head of the clan or "top of the house" and it came to be used in various forms as an emblem of rank for knights and men-at-arms in feudal days. One legend is that the chevron was awarded to a knight to show he had taken part in capturing a castle, town, or other building, of which the chevron resembled the roofs. It is believed from this resulted its use as an insignia of grade by the military.

The lozenge or diamond used to indicate first sergeant is a mark of distinction and was used in heraldry to indicate achievement."

Interestingly it seems information from the past concerning the use of this symbol seems to have come to us from a "legend!" What that legend was is unknown to me but it would be interesting to know about it.

In any case, from the above we see that it is considered that its useage is only traced to "feudal" times. So just what days were considered as "feudal?"

Now the second site;

http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/triv4-4a.htm

"Chevrons

Chevron is a French word meaning rafter or roof, which is what a chevron looks like; two straight lines meeting at an angle just as rafters do in a roof. It has been an honourable ordinarie in heraldry since at least the Twelfth Century.” (IE, the 1300's, in Italian it is called “trecente!”)    “Ordinaries are simple straight line forms that seem to have originated in the wood or iron bars used to fasten together or strengthen portions of shields. Other ordinaries include the cross, the diagonal cross or "x," the triangle, the "y," and horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines. The chevron was a basic part of the colorful and complicated science of heraldry. It appeared on the shields and coats-of-arms of knights, barons and kings.

Chevrons were thus easily recognized symbols of honor. That might by why French soldiers started wearing cloth chevrons with the points up on their coat sleeves in 1777 as length of service and good conduct badges. Some British units also used them to show length of service." (You must remember the above information, or “French soldiers started wearing cloth chevrons, with the points up.., for later connections!)

We see above a mention that the use of these symbols "has been an honourable ordinarie in heraldry since at least the Twelfth Century." The author(s) then seem to have knowledge of the use of at least some of these symbols such as "ordinaries include the cross, the diagonal cross or "x," the triangle, the "y," and horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines." during the times we now date as 1101 CE to 1200 CE! This period also seems to cover the "crusader" period as well and, at least back to the times of William the Conqueror, or about 1040 CE to 1100 CE.

At; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_(heraldry)

We can see an example of the coat of arms of a famous French Cardinal, thus;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:COA_Cardinal_de_Richelieu.svg .

As you can see, the coat has three chevrons or "three chrvronels guiles" emblazoned! Might not it make sense that an attack or crusade supported by such a powerful person might well wear the mark of the one who graced / "Graced?" the project?

Certainly we have all seen representations of the Crusader Knights emblazoned with various types of "crosses" upon their "tunics" or "armour!", but I do not know of any representations shown with the "chevron / chevronel" being apparent! But, it is obvious that I have not seen even a small percentage of the representations of knights (Che-Val-ier's) emblazoned or decorated with such designs, certainly some or many representations of chevaliers with such designs depicted upon them exist?

http://flagspot.net/flags/vxt-dvc1.html#chevron

http://www.coatsofarms.addr.com/about.htm And, as we have seen, since the "chevron" is said to represent a "rafter" of a home or church, then "Heraldry offers a fascinating study of medieval lifestyles where we can surmise much regarding our forefathers. Historically, different creatures of nature denoted certain characteristics, and various inanimate shapes implied certain traits, historical factors or aspirations. For example, the chevron symbolized protection and has often been placed on Arms to tell others that its bearer achieved some notable feat."

We have already seen that the above sites mention "feudal times" as the period of the past whereby the use of these symbols is first apparent to us or at least, to representations of the knights / chevaliers of those times, etc. Maybe we could even consider that before vowel substitution was codified to a large degree, the use of vowels (in a language like Hebrew), was basically left in the hands of the reader or writer!

I might suggest that the reader arm themselves with a dictionary for the next part!

It is even possible that at one time and at one or more place the word might have been spelled as chav-ron; the "cha" part might well be a key? With that in mind please look at words like Chasid, chasse, chassedpot, chasseur, chassis, chaste, chasten, chastise, chastity, chasuble and even chateau?

The list of such words could even be continued including words beginning with "chat" and "chau", such as Chaucer or chaussure? Or it could be begun with words like; chant, or Chanukah, or chap, or chape, or chapel, or chaperon, or char, or character, or charge, or charger, or chariot, or charter, etc.!

Please note that any or all of the above suggestions could be applied to the life of, or the expectancy of a "Knight!" or "Chevalier!"

Even in a game of "Chess" the knight is the only one allowed to jump over other pieces and even change direction while doing so! Please feel free to spend a few minutes looking in your favorite dictionary for the above words as well as other words not mentioned above as might well be appropriate?

I might well even suggest that certain well known battles were really “games of chess” played by royalty in a form of gambling! The winner took the spoils or won the wager, so to speak, without the expenditure of monies or loss of lives!

“FEUDAL TIMES

Feudal times technically refers to the "Middle Ages", so let us see what others have to say about this period of the past? And, in due course, these men, may have actually disposed of, or won, various territories and cities, etc., whilst actually playing a "War Game!"

It might well be that some of these kings actually wrote about their battles and conquests, or had their "bards" compose stories concerning them? It might well from just such material that certain histories have come into our hands today!

From this site; http://www.britainexpress.com/History/Feudalism_and_Medieval_life.htm

We find;

"Feudalism. The social structure of the Middle Ages was organized round the system of Feudalism. Feudalism in practice meant that the country was not governed by the king but by individual lords, or barons, who administered their own estates, dispensed their own justice, minted their own money, levied taxes and tolls, and demanded military service from vassals. Usually the lords could field greater armies than the king. In theory the king was the chief feudal lord, but in reality the individual lords were supreme in their own territory. Many kings were little more than figurehead rulers.

Feudal Ties. Feudalism was built upon a relationship of obligation and mutual service between vassals and lords. A vassal held his land, or fief, as a grant from a lord. When a vassal died, his heir was required to publicly renew his oath of faithfulness (fealty) to his lord (suzerain). This public oath was called "homage".

A Vassal's Obligations. The vassal was required to attend the lord at his court, help administer justice, and contribute money if needed. He must answer a summons to battle, bringing an agreed upon number of fighting men. As well, he must feed and house the lord and his company when they traveled across his land.

This last obligation could be an onerous one.

William the Conqueror traveled with a very large household, and if they extended their stay it could nearly bankrupt the lord hosting them. In a few days of Christmas feasting one year William and his retinue consumed 6,000 chickens, 1,000 rabbits, 90 boars, 50 peacocks, 200 geese, 10,000 eels, thousands of eggs and loaves of bread, and hundreds of casks of wine and cider.”

One must also consider that Charlemagne also had a traveling laager which followed his travels throughout his kingdom, as did Attila, Darius, and as is reported of the “sea peoples”, in the Egyptian records, etc.!

“A Lord's Obligations.
On the lord's side, he was obliged to protect the vassal, give military aid, and guard his children. If a daughter inherited, the lord arranged her marriage. If there were no heirs the lord disposed of the fief as he chose."

So we see that "feudal times" can be considered to have existed at least during the times of William (the Bastard) the Conqueror! It seems that "feudalism" and the "middle ages" are mostly synonymous? So, just what period of time is considered to be called "the Middle Ages?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages

From the above we see that most historians consider the "Middle Ages" to have existed for about one thousand years, or from the middle of the 5th century (ca. 450) CE until the 16th century CE (1480 -1520) !

Can we consider that the use of "chevrons" as an "emblem" of a "knight" or "chevalier" as a sign of rank, might have existed during the last times of the Roman Empire (ca. 400-460 CE) or even earlier? I actually know of no such information or representations, but I cannot deny that they might well exist!

While I would like each of you to actually read the entire Wikipedia site, here are some words I feel need be included in this posting;

"Until the Renaissance (and for some time after that), the standard scheme of history was to divide history into six ages, inspired by the biblical six days of creation, or four monarchies based on Daniel 2:40. The early Renaissance historians, in their glorification of all things classical, declared two periods in history, that of Ancient times and that of the period referred to as the "Dark Age".

Filippo Villani first mentioned a "middle period" between Antiquity and his present when he observed in a treatise of 1382 that the islands in the Mediterranean Sea were called by different names in priscis mediis modernisque temporibus ("primitive, middle, and modern times").

In the early 15th century, it was believed history had evolved from the Dark Age to a new period with its revival of things classical, so some scholars, such as Flavio Biondo, began to write about a middle period between the Ancient and Modern, which became known as the Middle Age. It was not until the late 17th century when German scholar Christoph Cellarius' published Universal History Divided into an Ancient, Medieval, and New Period that the tripartite periodization scheme began to be used more systemically.[2]

The plural form of the term, Middle Ages, is used in English, Dutch, Russian, Bulgarian, and Icelandic while other European languages use the singular form (Italian medioevo, French le moyen âge, German das Mittelalter, Spanish edad media, Romanian ev mediu, Russian С?р?е?д?н?и?е? в?е?к?а?). This difference originates in different Neo-Latin terms used for the Middle Ages before media aetas became the standard term. Some were singular (media aetas, media antiquitas, medium saeculum, and media tempestas),[3] others plural (media saecula and media tempora). There seems to be no simple reason why a particular language ended up with the singular or the plural form.[4] The term "medieval" (sometimes spelled "mediaeval") was first contracted from the Latin medium ævum, or more precisely "middle epoch", by Enlightenment thinkers as a pejorative descriptor of the Middle Ages.

End of part one. RLH, May, 2010

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 05:15
Before you go any further I suggest you give William Occham a call.

Currently I have no idea where this is going.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 05:41
I don't play with sharp objects!

Razor's especially!

Regards,
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 05:43

Ron, I'm familiar with the with the carvings you refer to, are you sure that your not looking at an Egyptian artists convention or "device".  It could be artistic license for depicting a certain type of armor or similar.  I was more interested in the depictions of "Horned Helmets".

To take a single panel, find a particular detail and connect it to a medieval convention such as a chevronic system of rank, man, that's not just a stretch, that's inventing something that just isn't there.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 07:36
Symbology is often cross cultural, it is not therefore very surprising when it crops up in different cultures at different times. They dont have to be connected. You may be trying to look for things, see patterns that arent really there.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 08:11
Yes, I may well "be tilting at windmills!" But, unless you give this a chance, you will not see the other connections that exist!

So, if you please, just "humor" me?

Redclay wrote;

"I was more interested in the depictions of 'Horned Helmets'."

I think that I. Velikovsky also spent a lot of time determining the correct period for the helments, swords, and shields of this period and earlier! I believe he made a very good case! And, I am, to some extent extending his thoughts, but based upon differing circumstances!

You will note that you have only perused part one! Some things may well become more apparent as I post more of my work?

Thanks,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 08:23
Lets see what part 2 may bring then
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 08:48
Part two!

The common subdivision into Early, High, and Late Middle Ages came into use after World War I. It was caused by the works of Henri Pirenne (in particular the article "Les periodes de l'historie du capitalism" in Academie Royale de Belgique. Bulletin de la Classe des Lettres, 1914) and Johan Huizinga (The Autumn of the Middle Ages, 1919).

Dorothy Sayers, a noted scholar in medieval literature as well as a famous writer of detective books, strongly objected to the term. In the foreword to her translation of The Song of Roland, she writes "That new-washed world of clear sun and glittering colour, which we call the Middle Age (as though it were middle-aged), has perhaps a better right than the blown summer of the Renaissance to be called the Age of Re-Birth."

Please remember that all of the kings, dukes, emperors that existed during these times were interested in the "heir"/ “hier?”, to the position of power! (To “ere” is human to forgive divine!)

Are we all clear about the situation now?

Here is a representation of the Mediterranean Area before the final fall of the Western Roman Empire;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_map_450.PNG

Please take the time to note the position of all of the sub-divisions that our consensual history place in Mediterranean area, circa 450 CE! Please note that Egypt is a part of the Eastern (Byzantine) Roman (Roumanian) Empire! Please note the position of "Iberia!", as it relates to the Eastern Empire?, and then look at the better known? "Iberian Peninsula?", where we now know it as called, Spain / Ispania, etc.!

Then examine the lands of the "Franks" and the "Friesians!"

And, as a last point, note the location of the Vandals and the Visigoths!

EGYPT, the bread-basket of the Roman Empire!

Since Egypt was “reportedly” the "breadbasket of Rome”, did the Eastern Empire consider it necessary to continue the supply of grain to the Western Empire at all times?

Did it (Constantinople / New Rome) transport / export grain to Italy (Rome / Ravenna?) after the fall of the West? Is there any information to even, consider?

If so, would not the grain go to places in the Italian peninsula and including Sicily, that Eastern Romans still had access? And, the ultimate question is, “just why would they send grain to a place that had become an enemy?”

Can we even consider that Egypt, at least as we see it today, was ever a "breadbasket" to any part of the world? In modern times, it cannot feed even its own people, can we really consider that it (Egypt) fed an Empire in earlier times?

In fact, in latter times (IE, the middle ages and later), the only part of the Med. / European area, that was considered a "bread-basket," was, and is, located in what we today refer to as either "Poland" / Russia or "Ukraine", and surrounding areas!

Since our consensual history is based upon a combination of accounts (some of dubious value) and conclusions made by historians (based upon these dubious accounts) also vary in considerable degrees, we then come to an example whereby the view of the past, placed upon a map, might show just how "considerable" those conclusions might become.

See;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visigothic_Kingdom

Note the dates accorded to this kingdom and compare to the view of the earlier map concerning 450 CE? Quite a difference of opinion isn't it?

I am sure that each of you, with a little bit of research, might well uncover other examples, which might disagree to a greater or lessor degree! That is, you should easily find other examples of maps made by historians and chronologists of later times (including the recent past) which try to contain the places described by historians from the past into our modern world!

At this site, you can read about a great general of the Byzantine Empire;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

You will notice that he is given credit for a partial re-conquest of parts of the Iberian Pennisula (H-E(I)spania) from the Visigoths / or maybe the Bisi-goths?.   Belisarius (Velisarius?) reportedly operated under the great Justinian. You might well notice that the last part of his assumed named is “arius!”

At the site there is a representation of a painting found in Ravenna, Italy. It is suggested that the central figure is Justinian and the man upon his right side is Belis-arius. Please note the insignia seen upon this figure's right shoulder? Could this be a version of the so called "star of David?"

Also note the young attendants to the right of Belis-arius? (Velisarius?), they might well be termed either, "pages" or "squires" or "esquires", or probably most correctly "Shield Bearers" or "Armour / Armor Bearers" and even "water / wine bearers?") since they carry both shields and spears.

Please note their hair cuts / styles!

They certainly have what we today would called "Page-Boy" cuts! Note; some historians have been forced to consider that Belisarius might well have been considered as a "Eunuch", as well as his successor / replacement! One might well consider that the Jews, who were considered amongst the first to demand "circumcision" of its males, may have led others to a mis-interpretation of the word "Eunuch", or "castrated one?" Or it may be that in the early days the Hebrew priests were castrated and eventually a "ritual" castration was substituted and called later called, "circumcision?"

One might well also note that the "Crescent", as a symbol of an Empire, is regarded as correct for both the Byzantine (Latin? / Rum / Roum? / Romanian) Empire as well as the Ottoman (Othoman / Attaman?) Empire!

And please take note of this site;

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthago_Spartaria&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcarthago%2Bspartaria%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLG_enUS308US308

Please make note (from the above site) of the name, of the Byzantine city "Carthago Spartaria!"

Just how would any of you translate those two words? Could “Spartan Carthage” be a possibility?

Maybe a study of the Frankish / Flemish kingdoms / and their duchies in Greece and the surrounding area, after the taking of Constantinople by the Frankish / Flemish / "Freisian" / free?, crusaders might be in order?

Pay particular attention to the group of mercenaries known to us now as "The Catalan Company!"

But, you might well be asking right now, just what does all of the above have to do with "Chevrons?"

Well it is all connected in a manner that should not obvious to most, but that is not their fault. It is perhaps my weakness that I tend to wander around in the past, making connections that seem most obvious to me but less so to others as well as being wildly out of time and place and I shall waste no more time going in all directions at once.

So! Chevrons are found in the mortuary temple of Ramesses III,
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_III) , depicting the great Sea Battle either on a river or near a port city, etc., and one good example of a reproduction of it can be found here;

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol074ic.html

Please look at example number 4!

There you will obviously see the chevrons upon the vestments of these warriors / sailors!

Note that they wear both a "tunic" and what can only be called a "kilt!" / skirt, or maybe it was a one piece outfit? Please remember the family "chrest?" / christ? / krest / crest, of Cardinal Richelieu!

You will notice that the above site is reportedly written by persons involved in military actions!

So, why is it that they (the military historians), who should best know about the use of chevrons, not even mention the occurrence of obvious military depictions in the panels?

Simply put, it is the 12th to 13th century BCE date which is assigned to Ramesses (Lamesses?) III that stops them!

These men obviously knew that the use of chevrons to denote rank, etc., was not in common usage until over 1,000 years later, at best (i.e. 12th cent. CE)!

See also;

http://txspace.tamu.edu/bitstream/handle/1969/126/etd-tamu-2003C-ANTH-Romey-1.pdf?sequence=1

At the above site you will also be introduced to the word "Vogelbark", or "Duck headed boats", which to me at least, reminds me of the vessels that still ply the lagoons of Venice to this day.

Here are some important words from the above;

"THE EUROPEAN PRESENCE IN LATE HELLADIC GREECE

The archaeological evidence certainly points to a Central European presence in
Late Helladic Greece, but to what degree, and what was its nature? Previous arguments,
most recently by Schachermeyr89 and Bouzek90 have argued for an invasion of
Mycenaean Greece by Central European populations, resulting in the palatial
destructions that occurred in the LH IIIB/C period. Other scholars, most notably
Sandars91 and Drews,92 have seen in the archaeological record evidence for a Central
European mercenary population present in Mycenaean Greece during the period that the
first Sea Peoples raids were being launched in the 14th century B.C.E.
Archaeological evidence for the presence of a Central European population in
Late Helladic Greece is found most frequently in the form of weapons and ceramics.

Weaponry

The most significant Central European import into the Aegean during the Bronze
Age was the flange-hilted, ‘cut-and-thrust’ sword (generally referred to as the

89 Schachermeyr 1980.
90 Bouzek 1985, 202-5.
91 Sandars 1978.
92 Drews 1993.

Sprockhoff IIa or simply the IIa sword).93 It first appears, in a burial along with
Mycenaean pottery and a Central European socketed spearhead, on the island of Cos in
the Late Helladic IIIB:2 period.94 The cut-and-thrust sword was not simply a new
addition to the array of weapons that the Mycenaean Greeks already had at their
disposal—spears, daggers, dirks, and narrow rapiers—it introduced a new and more
deadly form of warfare. Its long reach and slashing blow proved more effective than an
opponent’s stabbing rapier. By the 11th century the IIa sword was “virtually the only
sword in use in the Aegean,” and it became the standard sword of the early Iron Age
cultures of the Near East.95 Thirty-eight IIa swords have been found in Late Helladic
contexts.96 Figure 23 shows their distribution.

93Snodgrass 1967, 29; 1974, 211; Sandars 1983; Drews 1993, 192-208.
94Sandars 1983, 53; Muhly 1984.
95 Drews 1993, 194.
96 Drews 1993, 203

Fig. 23. Distribution of IIa swords in the Late Helladic Aegean. After Bouzek 1985,
121, fig. 57.

Interestingly, although versions of the cut-and-thrust sword first appear in
Central Europe in the mid-fifteenth century (Bz C1),97 they are not found in the Aegean
until suddenly in the midst of the crisis of the LH IIIB/C period.

In addition, the European style spearhead appears in the Aegean in this period.
Cast rather than forged, its continuous form proved superior to the Greek version and

97 See Drews 1993, 194-5 for discussion and bibliography.

was, like the IIa sword, quickly adopted.98

Since Mycenaean metal-smiths were forgers, not casters, there is reason to believe
that the importers of the IIa swords brought their craftsmen with them, either from the
northern Italian reaches of the Urnfield periphery,99 or from the Balkans.100 There is
evidence that Mycenaean craftsmen attempted to forge, rather than cast, the IIa sword in
the period around 1200 B.C.E. The results tended to be “most unwieldy and eccentric,”
and the enterprise was quickly given up.101

The round shields carried by the Sea People in the Medinet Habu naval battle
relief, and earlier 13th century Battle of Kadesh (fig. 24),102 appeared in the Aegean only
around 1200 B.C.E. Evidence points to its introduction from Central Europe.103 Unlike
the larger shields favored by Mycenaean warriors employing longer-range weapons such
as javelins and spears (seen carried by the crew of the Kynos A ship, fig. 17a), the round
shield provided the mobility and agility necessary for the close-quarters combat required
by the IIa sword.

98 Harding 1984, 162-73; Bouzek 1985, 119-42. It appears that in the case of European fibulae and pins, like weapons, their design was so effective that they were quickly adopted throughout the Aegean.
Therefore, actual “European” imports of such objects are very rare. See Kilian 1985.
99 Harding 1984, 165.
100 Sandars 1978, 91-92. Sandars, the preeminent specialist on Late Bronze Age European weapons, does
not see an Italian influence on the first-generation IIa swords in the Aegean.
101 Sandars 1983, 39.
102 See Sandars 1983, 44-5 for discussion.
103 Harding 1984, 177; Schachermeyr 1980, 154-7."

If you actually go to the site (Fig. 23. Distribution of IIa swords in the Late Helladic Aegean. After Bouzek 1985, 121, fig. 57.), and if I am not looking correctly at it, then it seems that the great majority of such weapons would have occured in the area of the world which we today call Denmark, ie., the home of the Danes (Dannae?), or as one might well have described them before the time of William the Conqueror (the Bastard), the North-men / Norse / Vikings!

As concerns the "Round Shields", Imanuel Velikovsky made a good deal to do about this same subject in his book, "The Peoples of the Sea", for more see below.

In other sites I have shown to you (above), there was a mention of the Pharoah's (of this period) that were of the band or organization (which was against Egypt), which the Egyptians called "The Nine Bows!", and as (almost) always, these Egyptians called them as, peoples from "the Isles!"

Just why would these Egyptians have reason to consider these foreign invaders as being from "Isles?" Could it be that the real Egypt only existed North of Memphis / Cairo? Could it not describe the area called the “Delta” where there existed “isles” in numbers not countable?

Thus any group, or a conglomeration of peoples united in a "common cause", who might travel to Egypt from any of the various "Isles" that occur in the Mediterranean area might well be "Peoples of the Isles?" Thus any invading fleet / army (armies?) that was / were transported from Cyprus, or Crete, or Sicily, or Rhodes, etc., across the sea to Egypt might well self describe themselves as "from the Isles?" You might well note that all of the above islands have been reportedly used for centuries as “staging” points for invasions, not only of Egypt but the rest of the Levant!

Numerous scholars have attempted to classify the named groups of the Egyptian invaders from similarities of their names with islands found in the Mediterranean area, mostly with limited success.

Imanuel Velikovsky attempted to correlate this invasion of Egypt with the Persians, i.e. the "Peleset!", rather than the Philistines (File-s-tines?), and thus move, up in time, closer to our age, to the times of the Persian (PRS) invasion(s) of Egypt, especially during the times of the Egyptian king Nectanebo II! (ruled 360 - 343 BCE), which is very close to the times of Alexander the Great (356 BC – 323 BCE.   

So, just who were these “peoples of the sea” who decided to attack Egypt during the lifetime of Phillip II and his son Alexander (defender of man!)

Whilst I do not totally agree with Velikovsky's determination(s), he did a wonderful job in his arguments and explanations.

And, his view of PRST, or PLST, or ?, as Persian was wonderful, but perhaps his view of Persian was somewhat distorted? You see Velikovsky could not see beyond this “event horizon!”

By the way you can read about Nectanebo II at;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectanebo_II

Or you might well want to read Velikovsky's "Peoples of the Sea"?, for a better understanding as to why he proposed the removable of about 800 years from the history of Egypt! His connection of Ramesses the II and III (As well as Merneptah) with Greece or the Greek world, was truly marvelous.

Velikovsky was not one to give a lot of credit to others, or he might well have credited Sir Isaac Newton, and a few others for giving him the desire to correct, what many people consider, a discredited chronology, i.e, that of Egypt! (for example note the similarities of the 11th, 12th and 18th dynasty).

But Velikovsky did open up the "playing field" so to speak! And he was maligned viciously by the ruling class of chronologists and historians, just as was Sir Newton! Newton also reduced the chronologies of Egypt and, as a result, the age of Greece and Rome, by large amounts. RIP

So, one might ask, just what do I have to offer as an explanation for those so called ancient attacks upon Egypt, that have enthraled historians for years? What I suggest is that you should throw away all ideas you have ever entertained about the past (especially what you have been taught or told) and clear your mind, at least for a while!

The major question you must try to answer is just why modern historians and experts in military history do not grant the use of the chevron to much of history before the 12th or 13th century CE?

End of part two.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 14:59
Is my written delivery clear? Can it be easily followed?

Nontheless, here is part three;

As I have mentioned earlier, I do not remember seeing the chevron used as a military symbol or sign, etc., on paintings, or other representations of any military units whether crusader or ancient Roman or Greek until I just watched the new movie entitled "The 300!"

In that movie I did see a shield which seemed to carry a chevron! So I cannot preclude that other evidence of its usage (in the past) preceded the 12th century CE! (i.e. the 1100's). But, as far as I know, the only real ancient representation of armed men in battle wearing what are clearly “chevrons” exists (almost) solely upon the stone cuttings found in Egypt approximately 1000 years earlier!

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103354&st=315   

The following is from response number 319 on the above site.

“The ‘People of the Sea’ show up in history before their trek to Egypt. The name ‘Pelest’ (meaning ‘Sea People’) were known by that name in before 1187 BC when they attacked Egypt.

Sorry, the Philistines were just 1 of at least 8 other sea people races, more than likely more. Which included the   http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm
Danuna who seem to be identified with Danaean Greeks.

http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_a.../www/danuna.htm
Although the Danuna are known from many different sources, they were a major part of the confederation that attacked Egypt with the other group of Sea People. The origins of the Danuna are many.

The Biblical data shows that at a certain stage of its settlement the Tribe of Dan was very close to the People of the Sea. From the historical and mythological sources, it is possible to ascertain the following facts. The tribe of the Danai originated in the east, and the introduction of the alphabet to Greece is attributed to it. Its members were outstanding seamen who had special connection with sun worship. The association with the Tribe of Dan is because their was two different tribes (the Danites and the Danai) with identical names and similar characteristics which operated in the same geographical region and period or there is a link between the tribe of Dan and the tribe of Danai, and possibly a certain measure of identity (Yadin 1968: 22).

Karkisa
http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_a...www/karkisa.htm
The Hittite record of the Karkisa reinforces the idea that the Hittites and Karkisa were allied at the time. In the annals of Mursilis, The geographical location of the Karkisa people is based on their relation to the land of the Lukka. Redford (1993: 249) places the Karkisa in southwest Asia Minor, and Barnett places them in the same area. Barnett mentions specifically that the Karkisa are associated with the Hittite area of Caria, which is on the south-western tip of Anatolia (Barnett 1975: 361).”

If I might interrupt here, does not the name “Mursilis”, strangely resemble the word “merciless?”

“Labu
http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/labu.htm

If the Labu are from the west of Libya, then it seems strange to associate them so closely with the Sea Peoples. The Labu are characterized by a number of features when they are depicted in Egyptian reliefs, such as fair skin, red hair, and blue eyes. Some of these characteristics the Labu also shared with the Meshwesh, but unlike the Meshwesh the Labu wore kilts instead of loincloths and were uncircumcised (Gardiner 1968: 122).

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

Lukka (perhaps the ancestors of the Lycians) who may have come from the Lycian region of Anatolia.
The Lycians had a series of kingdoms, called Arzawa lands, which were run by the Hittites (Bryce 1986:3). According to Hittite texts the Lukka were a rebellious people and easily swayed by foreign influences. These Hittite texts state that the Lukka are sea-goers. They made yearly attacks on the King of Alasiya and his lands by sea, and did so effectively, and so were considered pirates in this way.

Meshwesh or Ekwesh who seem to be identified with the Homeric Achaean.

http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_a...ww/meshwesh.htm

The Meshwesh are again found in the Classical writings of Herodotus, over a thousand years later. Herodotus describes their semi-barbaric hairstyle consisting of shaving one side of the head while leaving the other and the fact that they paint their bodies and lay claim to Trojan heritage (Selincourt 1954: 306). He goes on to talk about the land from which they came (eastern Libya), all the while making sure to guard himself by saying that he cannot vouch for any of these statements, he is merely passing along what he himself has heard.
These are the two major sources for description, both physical and cultural, for the Meshwesh. They are initially identified in Egyptian battle records as having fought alongside the Libyans and their allies, but also recognized as having risen to their own respective seat of power following these skirmishes. The fact that they are again specifically singled out by Herodotus in his Histories serves notice to the fact that they were indeed a significant socio-political entity in the Eastern Mediterranean at this time.”

Shardana, Sherden or SarDANians - feared as pirates

http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_a...ww/shardana.htm

They are depicted both among the Sea Peoples and as allies of the Egyptians, distinguished by their horned helmets with a ball projecting from the middle, round shields, and large swords (Gardiner 1968: 196-7).According to Dr. Donald Redford, the Shardana can be equated with the Sardonians of the classical era, a people from the Ionian coast who were skilled in fighting (1992: 243). A battle between the Phocaeans and the Sardonians is recorded in Herodotus' History, book I, 165, in which we are told that the Sardonians were a formidable naval force. In the 14th-13th centuries BCE, the Shardana also had a reputation as pirates, and it is possible that their success in this occupation provided one of the motivations for the activities of other groups of Sea Peoples. However, this idea is tied to the theory that the primary factor in the Late Bronze Age-Iron Age transition was massive pillaging and piracy on the part of certain groups in the Aegean (Redford 1992: 244).”
You might notice that the representation shown above, also shows what might well be a tight fitting tunic or breast plate with chevrons apparent, but the subject is armed with a short sword.

“Shekelesh, Shekresh, Sikeloi - Sicilians

http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_a...w/shekelesh.htm

the Shekelesh (and the Teresh) wear cloth headdresses and a medallion on their breasts, and carry two spears and a round shield; their place of origin has been considered to be Sagalassos in Pisidia" (Redford 1992: 252).Some scholars, such as N.K. Sandars, believe that the Shekelesh came from southeastern Sicily.In the 8th century, Greek colonists came across a group of people known as the Sikels on the island, which they believed had come from Italy after the Trojan War (Sandars 1985: 112).The Medinet Habu relief depicts a Shekelesh prince, who is shown bearded, with a thin prominent nose and a swept back turban, which some scholars believe to be (long) hair.

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/sea_peoples.htm

Tjakkar (Tjekker:) Chieftain (lit. the Great One) of the foe of Thekel (TAkwrA). which were settled in Dor according to the Tale of Wenamen.
Redfords (1992: 251-52) conclusions from the reliefs at Medinet Habu also suggest a connection to the Aegean. He notes the ships identified as Tjakkkr are more in the Aegean style than any other. The Tjakkar warriors are depicted in what he calls Hoplite-like plumes on their helmets, often identified as Greek. The Tjakkar warriors fight with short, straight swords, long spears, and rounded shields, Aegean style equipment. Archeological evidence from Dor supports Wen-Amons claim of Tjakkar settlement. In addition, the excavations found cow scapulae and bone-handled iron knives similr to those found at Philistine sites. The origins of the Tjakkar people suggest they came from, or shared a culture with the people of the Aegean.

Teresh (Tursha or Tyrshenoi - possibly the Tyrrhenians, the Greek name for the Etruscans; or from the western Anatolian
Taruisa)

http://www.phoenician.org/sea_peoples.htm

As previously mentioned, these theories sometimes comment upon but do not look into the curious fact that the Phoenician cities were unaffected by the destruction which went on all around them at this time. First, let us verify that these cities were not destroyed during these events.

Tyre was one of the leading Phoenician cities in 1200 B.C., and we are fortunate to have an excellent archaeological study of this site which went all the way down to bedrock. Performed by Patricia Bikai in 1973, this work documented clearly the relevant layers of interest to us. They not only show there was no widespread destruction at that time but that there was great continuity from layer to layer, indicating that the local society continued to live in the same way throughout this period. The results are highly conclusive.

The most northern Phoenician city was on the island of Arwad, also known as Arvad and Arados. It had been taken from the Phoenicians prior to the coming of the Sea Peoples and was being held by the Hittites. This city was in fact destroyed by the Sea Peoples and after their incursion it was returned to the Phoenicians. This destruction, far from disproving the current assertion, adds to the view that the Phoenicians were accorded a special status in the events of this time.

Based upon the sum of this evidence, we can only conclude that observations of the Phoenician cites being undamaged during this time, and having been accorded a special status by the invaders, have been verified. That there was a relationship or partnership of some nature between the Sea Peoples and the Phoenicians is clearly in evidence. The Sea Peoples had forcefully cleared away the old powers from the Mediterranean and left freshly plowed ground. In time the Greeks and Romans would rise and they—together with the often overlooked Phoenicians would sow the seeds of Western civilization.

Jer 47:4 Because of the day that cometh to spoil all the Philistines, and to cut off from Tyrus and Zidon every helper that remaineth: for the LORD will spoil the Philistines, the remnant of the country of Caphtor.
Amo 9:7 Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir (Caria)?

The Peleset (Philistines) after whom Palestine was named are not to be confused withn MODERN PALESTINIANS! And why did they withdraw after even defeating the Hittite power? Because the Kingdom was waning and used all there (sic-their) strength to defeat them.”

Now see;
https://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/
https://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/danuna.htm

Note the depiction seen in the above site. You see a group defined as the Denyen / Danuna which are commonly depicted as your typical Philistine, at many sites. You may well notice that these warriors also wear the very same kilt / skirt seen worn by the Shardana with a few exceptions, these skirts have only one horizontal line at mid skirt level as opposed to the two horizontal lines seen upon the kilts of the Shardana. In effect these kilts show either a cross with one arm or with two! In other depictions (found at Medinet Habu) you will find that both of these groups share the same type of vest / tunic with chevrons (in the French manner) apparent.

Perhaps the following information found within Wikipedia will state my position?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusade

While the following is a copy and paste taken from the above site, I would wish that each of you might read and examine the entire Wiki site for important information, especially the maps, etc.

"Fifth Crusade 1217–1221
1. Main article: Fifth Crusade
By processions, prayers, and preaching, the Church attempted to set another crusade afoot, and the Fourth Council of the Lateran (1215) formulated a plan for the recovery of the Holy Land. In the first phase, a crusading force from Austria and Hungary joined the forces of the king of Jerusalem and the prince of Antioch to take back Jerusalem. In the second phase, crusader forces achieved a remarkable feat in the capture of Damietta in Egypt in 1219, but under the urgent insistence of the papal legate, Pelagius, they then launched a foolhardy attack on Cairo in July of 1221. The crusaders were turned back after their dwindling supplies led to a forced retreat. A night-time attack by the ruler of Egypt, the powerful Sultan Al-Kamil, resulted in a great number of crusader losses and eventually in the surrender of the army. Al-Kamil agreed to an eight-year peace agreement with Europe.

Sixth Crusade 1228–1229
Main article: Sixth Crusade
Emperor Frederick II had repeatedly vowed a crusade but failed to live up to his words, for which he was excommunicated by Pope Gregory IX in 1228. He nonetheless set sail from Brindisi, landed in Palestine, and through diplomacy he achieved unexpected success: Jerusalem, Nazareth, and Bethlehem were delivered to the crusaders for a period of ten years.

End of part three!

Do either of you or any of you actually see the possibility of a connection?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 15:50
Yes...........definately Occhams Razor time.

I find nothing of note in the above posts that can not be attributed to Occhams principal. Hurrah for the internet and the nonsense it can breed, because thats all the above currently is.

Your historical assumptions..........Egypt and it being a bread basket........Iberia....The Sea People......Crusades.....face palm...........Im not going to bother

Edited by DreamWeaver - 26-May-2010 at 15:58
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 18:40
Some intermediate words!

I am not a good editor of my own words/works! As a matter of fact, I am a terrible editor, etc.! This is possibly the result of my own mind, which fails to understand that the reader does not or can not make the same connections my own mind automatically does?

I just want you all to understand, that from this point on, you "MUST HAVE" either read Velikovsky or you must have a good idea about the wars fought in Egypt during the times of Ramessess II to Ramesses III, or as Velikovsky securely attached, the times of Nectanabo!

In his analysis and comparison of anceint accounts, most of which are unatainalbe by the average person, he goes to great pains to compare and contrast what history has told us about both conflicts, and I use the word "both" because our currently accepted time-line (Chronology and History) demands it!

But, as you should know, neither Velikovsky nor I accept it!

Thus, without reading Velikovsky many or all of you will be unable to "contrast and/or compare" the battles!

Sorry, that is just the way it is! That is unless you have access to the accounts written by later historians covering both the attacks on Egypt during the rule of Ramesses II through the rule of Ramesses III, as well as those attacks that Velikovsky associates with a dynasty now far removed from the first two,then you will have no reason to accept my views concerning Crusader attacks upon Egypt many hundreds of years closer to our on times!

Thus you will be left with;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_II

Where you will be told this;

"Battle against Sherden sea pirates
In his second year, Ramesses II decisively defeated the Shardana or Sherden sea pirates who were wreaking havoc along Egypt's Mediterranean coast by attacking cargo-laden vessels travelling the sea routes to Egypt.[14] The Sherden people probably came from the coast of Ionia or possibly south-west Turkey. Ramesses posted troops and ships at strategic points along the coast and patiently allowed the pirates to attack their prey before skillfully catching them by surprise in a sea battle and capturing them all in a single action.[15] A stele from Tanis speaks of their having come "in their war-ships from the midst of the sea, and none were able to stand before them". There must have been a naval battle somewhere near the mouth of the Nile, as shortly afterwards many Sherden are seen in the Pharaoh's body-guard where they are conspicuous by their horned helmets with a ball projecting from the middle, their round shields and the great Naue II swords with which they are depicted in inscriptions of the Battle of Kadesh.[16] In that sea battle, together with the Shardana, the pharaoh also defeated the Lukka (L'kkw, possibly the later Lycians), and the Šqrsšw (Shekelesh) peoples."

And the most important words from above are;

"There must have been a naval battle somewhere near the mouth of the Nile, as shortly afterwards many Sherden are seen in the Pharaoh's body-guard where they are conspicuous by their horned helmets with a ball projecting from the middle, their round shields and the great Naue II swords with which they are depicted in inscriptions of the Battle of Kadesh.[16] In that sea battle, together with the Shardana, the pharaoh also defeated the Lukka (L'kkw, possibly the later Lycians), and the Šqrsšw (Shekelesh) peoples."

See the helments with "horns" and "round balls projecting from the middle!" I know one of you is interested in these facts, as was Velikovsky!

Ramesses II, is said "to have ruled Egypt from 1279 BC to 1213 BC[7"

Other key points are the allegations in the Wiki site sayng; "He established the city of Pi-Ramesses in the Nile Delta as his new capital and main base for his campaigns in Syria. This city was built on the remains of the city of Avaris, the capital of the Hyksos when they took over, and was the location of the main Temple of Set."

Then you must look at Ramesses III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_III

Where you will read;

"Ramesses III is believed to have reigned from March 1186 to April 1155 BC. He was born approximately 1220 BC [1]. This is based on his known accession date of I Shemu day 26 and his death on Year 32 III Shemu day 15, for a reign of 31 years, 1 month and 19 days.[2] (Alternate dates for this king are 1187 to 1156 BC)."

So, according to convential chronology there exists approximately 70 years between the two!

Ramesses III is also involved in some wars in the delta region, thus;

"During his long tenure in the midst of the surrounding political chaos of the Greek Dark Ages, Egypt was beset by foreign invaders (including the so-called Sea Peoples and the Libyans) and experienced the beginnings of increasing economic difficulties and internal strife which would eventually lead to the collapse of the Twentieth Dynasty. In Year 8 of his reign, the Sea Peoples, including Peleset, Denyen, Shardana, Weshwesh of the sea, and Tjekker, invaded Egypt by land and sea. Ramesses III defeated them in two great land and sea battles. Although the Egyptians had a reputation as poor seamen they fought tenaciously. Rameses lined the shores with ranks of archers who kept up a continuous volley of arrows into the enemy ships when they attempted to land on the banks of the Nile. Then the Egyptian navy attacked using grappling hooks to haul in the enemy ships. In the brutal hand to hand fighting which ensued, the Sea People were utterly defeated."

And these words; "Ramesses III claims that he incorporated the Sea Peoples as subject peoples and settled them in Southern Canaan, although there is no clear evidence to this effect; the pharaoh, unable to prevent their gradual arrival in Canaan, may have claimed that it was his idea to let them reside in this territory. Their presence in Canaan may have contributed to the formation of new states in this region such as Philistia after the collapse of the Egyptian Empire in Asia. Ramesses III was also compelled to fight invading Libyan tribesmen in two major campaigns in Egypt's Western Delta in his Year 6 and Year 11 respectively.[4"

Do you see where we are going?

And these words; "The Great Harris Papyrus or Papyrus Harris I, which was commissioned by his son and chosen successor Ramesses IV, chronicles this king's vast donations of land, gold statues and monumental construction to Egypt's various temples at Piramesse, Heliopolis, Memphis, Athribis, Hermopolis, This, Abydos, Coptos, El Kab and other cities in Nubia and Syria. It also records that the king dispatched a trading expedition to the Land of Punt and quarried the copper mines of Timna in southern Canaan. Papyrus Harris I records some of Ramesses III activities:

“ I sent my emissaries to the land of Atika, [ie: Timna] to the great copper mines which are there. Their ships carried them along and others went overland on their donkeys. It had not been heard of since the (time of any earlier) king. Their mines were found and (they) yielded copper which was loaded by tens of thousands into their ships, they being sent in their care to Egypt, and arriving safely." (P. Harris I, 78, 1-4)[15] ”

Medinet Habu temple relief of Ramesses III More notably, Ramesses began the reconstruction of the Temple of Khonsu at Karnak from the foundations of an earlier temple of Amenhotep III and completed the Temple of Medinet Habu (temple) around his Year 12.[16] He decorated the walls of his Medinet Habu temple with scenes of his Naval and Land battles against the Sea Peoples. This monument stands today as one of the best-preserved temples of the New Kingdom.[17]"

Key words from the above might well be; "monumental construction to Egypt's various temples at Piramesse, Heliopolis, Memphis, Athribis, Hermopolis, This, Abydos, Coptos, El Kab and other cities in Nubia and Syria."

Now, how does one investigate Nectanabo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectanebo_I

"In 380 BC, Nectanebo deposed and killed Nefaarud II, starting the last dynasty of Egyptian kings. He seems to have spent much of his reign defending his kingdom from Persian reconquest with the occasional help of troops from Athens or Sparta. He is also known as a great builder who erected many monuments and temples throughout his long and stable 18 year reign. Nectanebo I restored numerous dilapidated temples throughout Egypt and erected a small kiosk on the sacred island of Philae which would become one of the most important religious cites in Ancient Egypt.[1] This was the first phase of the temple of Isis at Philae; he also built at Elkab, Memphis and the Delta sites of Saft el-Hinna and Tanis.[2] He also significantly erected a stela before a pylon of Ramesses II at Hermopolis.[3] He also built the first pylon in the temple of Karnak. From about 365 BC, Nectanebo was a co-regent with his son Teos, who succeeded him. He died in 362 BC and was succeeded by Teos on the throne."

What about Teos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teos_of_Egypt

"Teos was Pharaoh of Egypt between the years of 362 to 360 BC; he had been co-regent with his father Nectanebo I from about 365. He was overthrown by Nectanebo II with the aid of Agesilaus II of Sparta and was forced to flee to Persia by way of Arabia. The Persian king Artaxerxes II gave him refuge, and Teos lived in Persian exile until his death."

Now we are left with Nectenabo II!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectanebo_II

"Nectanebo II (ruled 360 - 343 BC), also known by the name Nakhthoreb, was the third and last king of the Thirtieth dynasty of Egypt and also the last native Egyptian ruler of the country in antiquity.

Nectanebo was placed on the Egyptian throne by the Spartan king Agesilaus II, who helped him overthrow Teos and fight off a rival pretender. After a reign of 17 years, he was defeated by the Persian king Artaxerxes III, and fled first to Memphis then into Upper Egypt, and finally into exile in Nubia, where he vanishes from history. With Nectanebo's flight, all organized resistance to the Persians collapsed, and Egypt once again was reduced to a satrapy of the Persian Empire."

So, what did the above have in common?

What do they have in common with a crusade?

By the way please read this; From Wikipedia;

"The common form of the razor, used to distinguish between equally explanatory hypotheses, can be supported by appeals to the practical value of simplicity. Hypotheses exist to give accurate explanations of phenomena, and simplicity is a valuable aspect of an explanation because it makes the explanation easier to understand and work with. Thus, if two hypotheses are equally accurate and neither appears more probable than the other, the simple one is to be preferred over the complicated one, because simplicity is practical."

So, which solution is the most simple? Should not the act that happened nearer to our times be the "most complicated?", that is there should be a lot more information concerning it! So, just why does it seem the more ancient event has more information? At least in some cases!

Why would not the latest event be the most simple event to pick?

For some reason I have Ladislaus, or some variation on my mind?

Edited by opuslola - 26-May-2010 at 18:58
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 19:03
So what you're trying to say is that the 'sea peoples' and the records of them are in fact just the crusades and that we've all been conned? Is that it?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 19:11
No! That is for you to decide! I only make the outline, with a razor!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2010 at 19:15
Quite frankly its a load of bollocks and the entire notion is laughable.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:55
"Quite frankly", and may I call you Frank? , just why don't you just give it a chance? It will not make you impotent!, it will not drive you crazy!, it will not make people laugh at you in the streets!

Hell, no one even knows who your are!

Just please have a "Wale" of a time reading it!

You wrote above;

" So what you're trying to say is that the 'sea peoples' and the records of them are in fact just the crusades and that we've all been conned? Is that it? "

Your use of the word "conned" has very bad connotations, and I dislike it intensly! But, I would have no reason to argue that you, and most of the known world, have been "confused" by historians!

I merely would like to end one point of the "Confusion!"

If I you can prove me wrong, after really reading my posts from head to tail,then please take my post and my body apart! Render it like a side of beef! Tear me from limb to limb!, etc.!

But, at least, give me some fair chance?

And as Jimmy Durante, once or twice said, "And, good night, Mrs, Calabash, where" (whom) "ever you are?" The odds are you have never even heard of Jimmy Durante!

Thanks and regards,

Edited by opuslola - 27-May-2010 at 15:10
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 15:14
By the way, I could relate to you a very good story concerning the loss and discovery and loss, and re-discovery of Dante'! It can be found in a series of books writen by a bunch of Russians!

The same thing can be said about the re-"mark" able discovery, loss, rediscovery of the body of St. Mark! Venice, you might understand was somewhat involved?

Regards,

Niccolo Mach! AKA

Edited by opuslola - 27-May-2010 at 15:23
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 17:38
red clay wrote;

"To take a single panel, find a particular detail and connect it to a medieval convention such as a chevronic system of rank, man, that's not just a stretch, that's inventing something that just isn't there."

But red, there is not just one single panel that does the above, just like single panels from Ram.II, do!

If indeed you have actually taken the time to read my above posts, and then actually read the hyper-linked information, and then followed a lot of that information into other links, etc., then you might well never get it?

It is not something a "simpleton" on the way to see the "Pie-man" might undertake!

Note, I have not received a really negative response from you, as of yet?

But, I do await it!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 27-May-2010 at 17:39
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 18:03
Note to you both! I hope you are not thinking I am being cavalier (http://www.answers.com/topic/cavalier, in the 1st adj. sense) towards any of you or this site?

I am far beyond that! And I hope you both agree?

I do sincerely believe I have found a connection! I will have no problem, if both of you, or one of you, can actually tell me that "beyond a reasonable doubt", you can prove me wrong!

But, distainfull dismissal of my agenda (if any?) is not a part of respectfull discourse, without even seeing the amount of evidence available! And by the obvious lack of reading my material (as obvious from DW's dismissal) to avoid the time and effort involved to really see not just where I am going but to see "WHY?"

Anyway, I will probably finish my posts in any event! I am getting both old and tired of fighting a war against superior odds! (note I am not saying a winning result!) It most like a physics problem, that is an "ultimate mass" versus a "minute mass!" Physics states most explicity that "ultimate" must triumph over the "minute!" But,that of course, is real "Science", or maybe you beleive "mathematics" does not qualify as a "science?"

If so, we again have some problems, which it seems, I have mentioned before on this site!

You must see, that I have tried to exhibit my thoughts to be considered by the "least" of amongst you! In other words, I have tried to keep it within the "KISS System!!", so much, that any person with a brain can follow the "dancing ball!"

Perhaps I have under-estimated you guys? Perhaps I felt that there might well exist some where, some people, who would just not dismiss, out of hand, any viewpoint that disagreed with their own?

Perhaps, again, I was incorrect?

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 05:46
Sorry but Im just unconvinced by all of it. If its working for you, finr so be it, but I dont think you are going to get anywhere with it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 14:33
Thanks for your words! But, you see, I really do not expect to "get anywhere with it!" Like a lot of writers, and historians, etc., I may expect to receive some respectful admiration, or at least some "peer review" by similar fellows!

Unfortunately, for any of you to do this, in a manner that should help my theory either make it or break it, requires the reader to do his or her own research, such as reading the works of I. Velikovsky (and other related works) that relate to the same Egyptian events!

Regarding the helments seen on the reliefs of Medinet Habu, that are sometimes refered to as "feathered!" In the annals of Egyptian history, we seem to be told, this style of headgear is almost unmistakable! Except that Velikovsky easly compares this headgear to that worn by the Immortal Guard, found on the reliefs in Persia, related to Darius the Great!

But, that is not the only place! It seems some Egyptian depictions actually show what is described as "Issus breast feeding Osirus!", in this depiciton, which is considered very ancient, Issus is depticted wearing headgear looking almost exactly like that worn by the Peleset, etc., at Medinet Habu! But, of course, it is possible that this depiction was rendered during the long Persian domination of Egypt?

But, do not be deceived by the historians and archaeologists who display anthrapod coffins, which they state "reveal the feathered headresses worn by the Sea People or the Philistines!" I have examined numerous photos of these so called "Philistine coffin", and I see little if no resemblance!

So, can we assume that such headgear, was only used by the Sea People (some of them) and the Persians? If so, just why were the Persians involved in the invasion of Egypt during the rule of Ramesses III? No, historian can mention this!

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>