Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

May 18th marked ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May 18th marked ...
    Posted: 20-May-2010 at 14:53
30 years since Mt St. Helens erupted! I was a kid but I remember that ash cloud that turned the noon sky pitch black like midnight.

I have flown over St Helens in a helicopter, in 1999. I have climbed Mt Adams which is more than a simply hike, about 12,000+++ feet. I could see Mt St. Helens and Mt. Rainier, probably the next to erupt. They are majestic and wild! ! We used ice axes and crampons to ascend to the top. Fun!! You can never understand the destructive power of this volcano unless you have seen the aftermath in real life. Trees between 2-300 feet high, a thousand years old, simply blown over like tiny match sticks. I remember the ash cloud and it was so black I could understand if someone thought it was judgment day- It rained a lot more than normal the following summer but E. Washington (state) had a bumper wheat crop that year. Wheat is a major crop on the east side of Washington state, grown for noodles mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkLepOvSPU
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply