Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Greeks ignore some real ancient wonders?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Greeks ignore some real ancient wonders?
    Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 11:30
I think everyone knows about the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World which was compiled by ancient Greek historians, it is clear that they didn't know anything about some great buildings in the remote lands of Asia, Europe and other continents but what about Persia?!

I don't know why a mausoleum which is built for  Mausolus, a satrap in the Persian Empire, was considered as a wonder -> Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, but the building which is said to be still the largest solid structure in the world is ignored!! I had talked about it in this thread: How was it built?!, Terrace of Persepolis is almost four times larger than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, it is interesting to know that the average weight of a block of the Egyptian Pyramid is about 2.3 tons but about Persepolis this is 45 tons (about 20 times heavier)!

Other than Persepolis, there was also a huge temple which was probably built by the Greeks themselves, I talked about it in this thread: Temple of Anahita (Artemis) at Kangavar (Concobar)

As you read I said there: "One of the seven wonders of the ancient world was the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, it was famous for its great size but the great size of Temple of Ephesus was just 6,050 square meters (about 110 by 55 m), it means less than one seventh of the Temple of Kangavar which was 43,680 square meters (210 by 208 m)."

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 08:50
I often wonder about things like you mention! As far as I know,there is little or no mention of many of the great buildings of the past in both Greek and Roman accounts! Even the great pyramids in Egypt it seems received no mention in ancient accounts! The same is true for the Great Wall of China, and Chinese pyramids, etc.

Here is what wikipedia has to say;

"The historian Herodotus (484—ca. 425 BCE), and the scholar Callimachus of Cyrene (ca. 305—240 BCE) at the Museum of Alexandria, made early lists of Seven wonders but their writings have not survived, except as references. The seven wonders included:

Great Pyramid of Giza
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Statue of Zeus at Olympia
Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus
Colossus of Rhodes
Lighthouse of Alexandria
The earliest lists had the Ishtar Gate as the seventh wonder of the world instead of the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

The Greek category was not Wonders but "thaumata"(Greek: Θαύματα), which translates closer to "things to be seen". The list that we know today was compiled in the Middle Ages—by which time many of the sites were no longer in existence. Today, the only ancient world wonder that still exists is the Great Pyramid of Giza."

And just where do we get an objective and not a subjective dating for both Herodotus and Callimachus?
Can we trust the objectivity of those people in the Middle Ages to accurately date a so called ancient report by a then unknown historian with the name Herodotus or one named Callimachus? From what extant source do we find these names?

It really seems that these wonders had to await the Middle Ages, or later for their mention! As far as I know, Alexander the Great is not reported to have mentioned any of them!

Wonder why?

Perhaps it is because they were yet to have been built?

Or is there another reasonable explanation?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 28-Apr-2010 at 08:59
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
kingbran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kingbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2010 at 08:14
Yeah, I also think that they probably didn't know about the Great Wall of China by then, it was probably too far away from them. Maybe the ongoing conflicts between Greek and Persia were also a reason for the "denial" of some Persian building and their culture and history.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2010 at 08:55
Welcome to the site kingbran! Thanks for your response!

In, response, I will also point out that I have looked at numerous maps and depicitions of Egypt, over the years, and have yet to see a pyramid drawn along side of the Nile! Many of these maps have small buildings or other objects often depicted, such as the "pillars / columns of Herakles or Alexander, etc." But not even a simple triangle is ever represented!

It just remains an enigma!

Perhaps someone can present me with a representation of them?

Regards,

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nurica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Nurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 00:02
<<it is clear that they didn't know anything about some great buildings in the remote lands of Asia, Europe and other continents>>

our "greeks" is in reality some scarcely sources from some very few, ignorant and unreliable authors that... ignored a lot of what it was supposed and possible to know in their days!

And "the greeks" we use to cherish so much, were a very small population that unavoidably knew something close to nothing! They have got such a big importance because they were the only teachers and the only window to the world for some guys even much more ignorants than themselves, i.e. the europeans (or the westerners). Big deal...
 Post Reply Post Reply