Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are the best questions for controversial hist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Matt444 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Matt444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the best questions for controversial hist
    Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 02:00
I'm fascinated by the outbursts of 'hell raiser' Historian David Starkey - he has been in the media as the bad boy of the academic world once again, calling female history writers "pretty girl historians who show off their looks on their book covers". Famously branded the 'rudest man in Britain' and proclaiming himself a 'media tart', Starkey makes no apologies for his views and opinions.

I've found out that he gives an extremely revealing interview this Tuesday 27th April at 10pm on Sky Arts 1 to presenter Laurie Taylor - Laurie explores Starkey's past to discover his journey from precocious child to one of the best-known historians ever. I found a great online clip here: http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/video-in-confidence-david-starkey/

The interview is part of a series called IN CONFIDENCE - interviews that delve beneath the surface of some of the most creative spirits of the decade in intimate interviews by critically acclaimed Sociology Professor Laurie Taylor. Other guests coming up on the series include: KATHY BURKE, JONATHAN MILLER, ANN WIDECOMBE, RICHARD DAWKINS, MARTIN ROWSON & LILY ALLEN. I found more info here: http://www.skyarts.co.uk/film-docs/article/in-confidence/

I would ask David Starkey which monarch was better: Henry VIII or his daughter Elizabeth I. My money is on the red-head queen because she never let her personal life get in the way of her duty - i.e. she never shared her power through marriage!!

What would you ask the controversial historian?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 09:11
I might well ask him why he changed from a Leftist to a Rightist? Otherwise, your question is sufficent since this period of time in England is not a speciality of mine!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 18:01
What does he think of Eamon Duffy's book on Mary I?

Id like to know if he agrees on Duffy's defence of the so called 'Bloody Mary.'
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 15:07
Dear DreamWeaver!

Wonder what happened to our bold poster called Matt44?

He poses a question, he is responded to, and he/she goes poof!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 03:42
Forum-itis, people join forums and then just forget, It happens.
Night Crawler View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Night Crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 04:39

Starkey is openly gay, although he does possess somewhat of a large female following. His partner is James Brown, a publisher and book designer,[9] and he has often discussed his sexuality in The Moral Maze and other discussion shows.[10][11]

Formerly a leftist, Starkey is now known for right-wing views. For example, he says of multiculturalism: "What's striking about our problem ethnic communities is that they are the ones with the least commitment to self-betterment."[12]

Starkey also offended some viewers of BBC One's Question Time in April 2009 when he criticised Scottish, Irish and Welsh nationalism and described these nations as "feeble".[13]

This same month (April, 2009) Starkey acted as Guest Curator for Henry VIII: Man & Monarch, an exhibition of documents (and some portraits) at the British Library.[

What you Can't be Gay and right wing. It is a trend as gays become more main stream and are discriminated against less. They Feel free to espouse more right wing views.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 05:15
Should his sexuality even be relavent?
Night Crawler View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Night Crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 05:43
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Should his sexuality even be relavent?

No it shouldn't be.
 Post Reply Post Reply