Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Assyrians, do not exict anymore!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Putty19 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Putty19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assyrians, do not exict anymore!
    Posted: 08-Jun-2010 at 08:51
Originally posted by Xorto

ah come on people. The Assyrians in Iraq and Lebanon are for sure Assyrians of ancient time. The Assyrians of ancient time where mostly from Halogroup J2 and a bit J1 what is definitly the same as todays Assyrians. Just many aramäic people from Turkey are for 90% assimilated Hurrians.

This is a very wrong approach when it comes to DNA testing, Y-DNA haplogroups don't prove anything about recent ancestry (Recent being 4000 years ago up to now), it's only good for deep ancestry prior to civilizations. Mind you, if the people lived isolated it would be helpful, but where the Assyrians lived it was a melting pot, meaning the ancient Assyrians themselves were very mixed and had plenty of haplogroups.

Y-DNA is useless when trying to find out which group you come from, specially if you come from the middle east, autosomal testing on the other hand is the useful test for recent ancestry.
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2010 at 09:43
Originally posted by Putty19

Originally posted by Xorto

ah come on people. The Assyrians in Iraq and Lebanon are for sure Assyrians of ancient time. The Assyrians of ancient time where mostly from Halogroup J2 and a bit J1 what is definitly the same as todays Assyrians. Just many aramäic people from Turkey are for 90% assimilated Hurrians.

This is a very wrong approach when it comes to DNA testing, Y-DNA haplogroups don't prove anything about recent ancestry (Recent being 4000 years ago up to now), it's only good for deep ancestry prior to civilizations. Mind you, if the people lived isolated it would be helpful, but where the Assyrians lived it was a melting pot, meaning the ancient Assyrians themselves were very mixed and had plenty of haplogroups.

Y-DNA is useless when trying to find out which group you come from, specially if you come from the middle east, autosomal testing on the other hand is the useful test for recent ancestry.

I agree, even when the Iranian tribes came to Iran/Greater Iran they mixed with the natives and from the Medes to the Sassanids ancient iranians themselves were already genetically mixed population. 

Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2010 at 17:31

I would also say, that would apply to practically every nation that has graced the pages of history. Not only Assyrians, but also Thracians, Hittites, Hurrians, Cymmerians, Scythians, Sarmatians, you name it.

Guys of all ethnicities coalesce into a 'tribe', they identify themselves with a certain charismatic leadership figure - a king, general etc. - then call the tribe by his name. Then they call the kingdom that arise subsequently by the same name. Then, voila, you have a new nation.

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 08-Jun-2010 at 17:35
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 09:19
I have not been active in this forum for years. So today I decided to visit this site which I used to enjoy so much. This thread is the first one I'm visiting and it makes me sick.

Either the thread opener is a troll or he's an idiot. Please close this thread.

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cappadocia View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cappadocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2010 at 04:29
Amusing thread.  How about we rely on the science?   The autosomal signature of modern Assyrians corresponds to a geographic nexus somewhere in northern Mesopotamia.

Edited by Cappadocia - 04-Jan-2011 at 23:46
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cappadocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2010 at 04:33

Edited by Cappadocia - 04-Jan-2011 at 23:45
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cappadocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2010 at 04:50
http://linearpopulationmodel.blogspot.com/2010/11/assyrians.html

November 15, 2010

Assyrians

"Once again, with the recent Dodecad Ancestry Project results for Assyrians, we see a breathtaking concurrence between history and autosomal genetic data.

However, what is most striking about these results is the shift toward the West Asian component for Assyrians compared to Syrians.  It is as if Assyrians, genetically speaking, are frozen in time, sometime in the Middle Assyrian Period:  they have a smaller Babylonian South Asian component (2% vs 6%),  lack the Egyptian component of the 14th century BC Egyptian occupation and have significantly less of the Southwest Asian component (23% vs. 36%) than Syrians."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://linearpopulationmodel.blogspot.com/2010/11/eurogenes-k10-middle-east-admixture.html

November 30, 2010

Eurogenes K10 Middle East Admixture Results

"Here, Mizrahi Jews group together, along with Assyrians and Druze as Northern Fertile Crescent populations.  Evident in all Northern Fertile Crescent populations is a minor South Asian component that may be the result of an ancient population flow through the Zagros MountainsSyrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, and Palestinians show evidence of admixture at low level with Egyptians, but otherwise present a similar Fertile Crescent signature as Assyrians and Mizrahi Jews, but shifted slightly southward.  Samaritans are an interesting case, with little Egyptian admixture, but with a Levant (Central Fertile Crescent) signature, perhaps indicating an ancient, religious and genetically isolated presence in the Levant.  Egyptians and Yemenis present a Southern Fertile Crescent population with diverse admixture, reflecting their longstanding position at the crossroads of the Nile, Red Sea and Spice TradeSaudis and the Bedouin are the most southward representatives of the Fertile Crescent, with a signature dominated by the Southwest Asian component, as would be expected if the point of coalescence for the Southwest Asian component was in Southern Saudi Arabia."

Edited by Cappadocia - 08-Dec-2010 at 05:13
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cappadocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2010 at 04:54
Iraqi Kurdish autosomal DNA (Xing et al.) is most similar to Iranian autosomal DNA (Behar et al.), according to the following Fst distances:

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Cappadocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2010 at 05:08
Apart from a general shared common origin, in Syro-Mesopotamia, Jews and Assyrians mixed to a great extent following the myriad of deportations of Jewish populations during the 1st millennium BCE.

Edited by Cappadocia - 04-Jan-2011 at 23:45
EliasAlucard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EliasAlucard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2010 at 22:39
This thread is a good example of anti-intellectualism. I love the spelling of the thread title.

Originally posted by ideas

Guys, am a kurd, from KRG..
That makes you an impartial, unbiased, objective scientist.

and these assyrians spread alot of propaganda, so I believe its time for me to reply, and make all iranic people aware of those people..
Why all Iranic peoples? You guys have something against Assyrians?

This is posted by a jewish friend of mine..
A Jew with an anti-Assyrian agenda? Sounds interesting. Please elaborate.

Who are we !?

We are the direct descendants of the ancient Assyrians!
It's true.

We are Arameans !
"NYet" :evil:
This ain't true, however. The only reason why some Assyrians (mainly from the Syriac Orthodox Church) hold this false belief is because we speak a partially Aramaic derived language. It's not different from pseudo-Arabs from Iraq, Lebanon, Algeria etc. saying in all seriousness they're Arabs just because they speak quasi Arabic dialects.

Modern Assyrians do have some Aramaean ancestors, but it shouldn't be exaggerated either for linguistic reasons. Also, the modern Assyrian language has some Akkadian vocabulary:

http://www.aina.org/articles/rothbotmal.pdf

We are Chaldeans !
This isn't true either. When an Assyrian group of the Nestorian rite reunited with the Roman Catholic Church, they were called Chaldeans by the Pope in order to distinguish them from other Assyrians.

Simply put: we Chaldean Catholics are not derived from the Chaldean dynasty that ruled the Neo-Babylon Empire. And there's no genetic evidence to support this claim either, since Chaldean Catholics show virtually identical genome profiles with other Assyrians. The same is true of Assyrians from the Syriac Orthodox Church. And population genetics do not lie.

We are Maronites !
The Assyrian movement isn't all too strong amongst Maronites (which is a religious group with roots in Lebanon). Some Maronites do actually have Assyrian ancestry (at least distant ancestry from recent Assyrian converts to the Maronite rite), but Maronites are genetically a Levantine population, and as such, they are different from Assyrians. Not radically different, but different.

Who are those people !?
North Mesopotamians, originally of proto-Semitic stock from Anatolia, whose ancestors worshiped Ashur, spoke Akkadian, ruled the Fertile Crescent and later shifted to the Aramaic language and converted to Christianity.

Why won't we ask one of them "Assyrians", Pro. John Joseph, who they are! Professor John Joseph is a much respected historian and an authority on the mission activities of the Western missionaries among the East- Aramean Nestorians of Urmia, Irak and Hakkaria. John Joseph is amongst others the writer of the book “The Modern Assyrians of the Middle-East, Encounters with the Western Christian Missions, Archaeological & Colonial Powers”

The book of Joseph contains overwhelming information regarding the invention of the names “Chaldeans” by the Catholics and “Assyrians” by the Anglicans. For everybody to understand these myths, should read the book of John Joseph.

Here is the link to the book: http://books.google.co.il/books?id=79wj2hj4wKUC&lpg=PA26&ots=vuE6A8QJxL&dq=Tatian%20assyrian&pg=PA26#v=onepage&q=Tatian%20assyrian&f=false

But then John Joseph can be biased as many present-day scholars are!
John Joseph doesn't know what he's talking about, and Iranologist Richard Nelson Frye completely crushed his nonsensical arguments:

http://www.jaas.org/edocs/v11n2/frye.pdf
http://www.jaas.org/edocs/v13n1/frye.pdf

And Frye was empirically verified by Robert Rollinger:

http://www.aina.org/articles/ttaasa.pdf

Actually this is funny that we have to ask historians who are them "Assyrians". Don't people say who they are ? Arabs say they're Arabs. Kurds say they're Kurds, etc.
All genetic evidence proves that we are neither Arabs nor Kurds:

http://linearpopulationmodel.blogspot.com/2010/11/assyrians.html
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/11/assyrians-finns-in-a-worldwide-genetic-context/

We have too much genetic distance from Arabs, so we're not Arabs. Also Kurds are genetically an eastern population, which can be seen on a global PCA plot where Kurds are situated between Russians and Pakis, whereas Assyrians are in between Italians and Palestinians, and ethnic Arabs (not pseudo-Arabs, but ethnic Arabs) are found much further south.

But then "Modern Assyrian" say that they are Assyrians and Arameans and Chaldeans and Maronites. This is too much, isn't it !?
Some anti-intellectual Assyrians are persuaded by nonsense, and you're taking advantage of that. Rest assured, we are Assyrians, no more, no less.

Perhaps we can ask their forefathers 170 years ago, at the very same time when Kurds called themselves Kurds and Jews called themselves Jews, who they are.

What a surprise, 170 years ago, the forefathers of those who proud themselves in being the descendants of the ancient Assyrians, had claimed that they are the descendants of the Ten Lost Tribe of Israel. It's only 170 years ago. This is not enough time to create a new people. Not even if you add 1000 years to it. What is going on. Who are those people? What they want?
In the 17th century, Catholic nuns from the Carmelite order visited Iran and described Jacobites (i.e., Syriac Orthodox Christians) as Assyrians. So that's all we need to refute your nonsense.

Please, read the book free on-line I provide a link for below, and get a real picture of "Modern Assyrians" and the misguided path they have taken. This is not a history book, but a book written by a Christian missionary who had spend over five years among them. No one can say that Ashael Grant, the Christian missionary is a biased historian twisting and distorting the truth.
http://books.google.co.il/books?id=upY2AAAAMAAJ&dq=Ashael+Grant&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=7rwhW1ARQu&sig=ftiZdEV60m1V5b1Dzg-IAvXFnI0&hl=iw&ei=UesiS5CxItKb_AatoLWyCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=nominal&f=false
This book is not an academic book and it's not based on peer-review or empirically verified methods.

And here's another reference to Professor Kelley Ross, neither a Zionist nor a Jew, who speaks about the implications of the modern Assyrianism
http://www.aramnaharaim.org...
She doesn't know what she's talking about and her opinion is mostly based on hearsay. Her opinion is irrelevant anyways. She might seem convincing to those who are of an anti-Assyrian mindset/bias but other than that, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Also, Aram-Naharaim is an anti-Assyrian hate site made by fanatic self-hating Assyrians with the mission to weaken Assyrian nationalism. It's not an objective site.

At the end of the day, population genetics proves that we're Assyrians, and that's all we need to know. Our genome profile is very homogenous and consistent with that of other Semitic peoples, but with a more northern drag which makes sense since we're genetically close (and always have been due to geography and religious cultural traditions) to Armenians.

I have no problem with them pretending to be the ancient assyrians, but when they start claiming duhok things get personnel!
You do have a problem with that, actually. It's a political problem, because Kurdish political motives conflict with Assyrian political goals, namely: territory. You Kurds are intruding on Assyrian land, and that's why you're trying to deny the existence of the Assyrian nation.

By the way, I find it highly ironic that a Kurd is trying to deny the existence of the Assyrian people. The veritable existence and continuation of the Assyrian nation is very much attested and documented since the fall of Nineveh. Kurds and their documented ancestors, however, is very scarce and vague. What we do know from genetic tests is that Kurds are genetically close to Persians. But that doesn't necessarily imply Kurds are descended from the Medes; we do know for a fact that Kurds have some Assyrian ancestry, for example, which can be verified by haplogroups and autosomal DNA.

A more interesting question is why Kurds love to troll Assyrians and deny our existence? I already know the answer, but have you Kurds ever questioned yourselves on that one?

Edited by EliasAlucard - 26-Dec-2010 at 23:00
“Human beings are animals: very unusual animals, to be sure, but nevertheless animals. In origin, we are not fallen angels, but apes arisen.” — Michael H. Hart
EliasAlucard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EliasAlucard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2010 at 23:05
Originally posted by Cent

I have not been active in this forum for years. So today I decided to visit this site which I used to enjoy so much. This thread is the first one I'm visiting and it makes me sick.

Either the thread opener is a troll or he's an idiot. Please close this thread.
Thread opener is probably both, but I'm of the opinion the thread shouldn't be closed. It's important to discuss this topic and I have lots of ammunition that can easily verify (scientifically) the existence of the Assyrian people and our continuation from the ancient Assyrians.
“Human beings are animals: very unusual animals, to be sure, but nevertheless animals. In origin, we are not fallen angels, but apes arisen.” — Michael H. Hart
New Corduene View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote New Corduene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2010 at 03:17

Originally posted by EliasAlucard

Who are we !?

We are the direct descendants of the ancient Assyrians!
It's true.

Ya see, that is the most enjoyable thing in talking to them smart Assyrian fellas. They come in and start spreading their toxic bullcrap all around, easily denying Kurds, their culture, their history, their ethnicity....etc yet start whining and shouting like a sissy whenever a Kurd says something negative about them....!!!

Modern Assyrians do have some Aramaean ancestors, but it shouldn't be exaggerated either for linguistic reasons. Also, the modern Assyrian language has some Akkadian vocabulary:

http://www.aina.org/articles/rothbotmal.pdf 

Wow, getting info from aina..!? What's next...! Posting articles by the un-biased, moderate and humble Fred Aprim...!?

Simply put: we Chaldean Catholics are not derived from the Chaldean dynasty that ruled the Neo-Babylon Empire. And there's no genetic evidence to support this claim either, since Chaldean Catholics show virtually identical genome profiles with other Assyrians. The same is true of Assyrians from the Syriac Orthodox Church. And population genetics do not lie. 

What is even more amusing is when Assyrians start fighting against each other, each one starts to refute the claims of the other; Assyrians of Chaldeans, Syriacs of Assyrians, Catholics of Orthodox...etc. My advice, try to solve your internal issues before you start your Kurdish-bashing campaigns.

You do have a problem with that, actually. It's a political problem, because Kurdish political motives conflict with Assyrian political goals, namely: territory. You Kurds are intruding on Assyrian land, and that's why you're trying to deny the existence of the Assyrian nation.  

Speaking on a personal level, I never did deny Assyrians, and Kurdish political stance is just the same, and by your standards every people have "intruded" your land, correct me if I'm wrong, but half of Mars belong to the Assyrians as well, Ja...?
It is such a shame that you people are so unappreciative, Sunni Arabs butcher your people in a church and Kurds give asylum to over a thousand Christian families (over 6000-7000 individuals), Ankawa is one of the most modern neighborhoods in Hawler thanks to the KRG, Assyrian language is official in the Assyrian areas and there are schools and TV channels for these folks. Is that enough? I would say no it is not, but for a start it is good enough for you people to start appreciating Kurds a bit more, and if you don't, you are always more than welcome to raise the Iraqi falg as you seem to be so fond of and run back to your Arabic masters whom also seem to have a habit of butchering you....

Kurds and their documented ancestors, however, is very scarce and vague. What we do know from genetic tests is that Kurds are genetically close to Persians. But that doesn't necessarily imply Kurds are descended from the Medes; we do know for a fact that Kurds have some Assyrian ancestry, for example, which can be verified by haplogroups and autosomal DNA. 

BINGO...!!! You said what was needed to prove you are no more than a racist, nationalist troll coming here criticizing others when they question your identity whilst you yourself so wholeheartedly denied the very roots of the Kurds. Kurds have Assyrian ancestry...!? I mean an Iranic Language paired with an Iranic ethnicity coupled with the Hurrian ancestry now all of a sudden turned to Semitic....!! Hallelujah...

A more interesting question is why Kurds love to troll Assyrians and deny our existence? I already know the answer, but have you Kurds ever questioned yourselves on that one?

Firstly this is not a troll, the guy comes and discusses the issue, if you have some reliable sources to prove him wrong please provide them. Secondly, I highly believe that all this guy says is a reaction to what some Assyrians, the likes of you, say and do about Kurds including denying their history, culture, ethnicity, and most importantly, country, in the forums, on T.V and every other places, and simply the guy seems to have gotten fed up with all the nonsense that those western Assyrians say.

And by all I have said, I don't mean Assyrians as a whole, cause in every nation there are enough reasonable men to counter ignorant ones, and I'm sure that Assyrians are a bright nation and have many good, open-minded and moderate people.

And allow me to give a brief conclusion, I really don't care whether the Kurds or Assyrians are more ancient as it serves no purpose, what's known is that both are indigenous people of their respective lands, I don't care who their ancestors were, for all I care they could be the product of the mating between Gandalf and Xena, things should be looked at from a realistic point of view, and the reality is, both Kurds and Assyrians are getting persecuted on a daily basis, and what's even more unfortunate is that instead of those endangered species getting united to counter the forces of evil on them, they have started this amateurish war of words against each other which is based on nothing but ignorance and blind hatred. I truly hope their visions get clearer and see things for what they are and proceed together in their quest for liberation.

Edited by New Corduene - 27-Dec-2010 at 03:19
Assrian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Assrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2012 at 02:32
Because Christian Assyrians have not had a sovereign country of their own there is a lot of misinformation about them in the West. It is not surprising that a Kurd will start a discussion about Assyrians do not exist. Denial of the ethnic minorities existence in Some Muslim countries is a game that ruling majority plays to ethnic cleanse them. For example until recently Turks were denying the  existence of the Kurd. Saddam Husein was forcing the Kurds and Assyrians to sign papers identifying themselves as Arabs. Kurds who were able to claim northern Iraq as their country with the help of the United States,  To justify their claiming this region as Kurdistan, want to mislead others about the Christian Assyrians history and identity. To Learn more about who the contemporary Assyrians are please visit;

For facts about survival of the ancient Assyrians survival into Christianity an existence of Assyrians to the present time visit;

Post edited due to unauthorised insertion of link without prior admin permission. Do not attempt to reinsert the link without permission. After 10 plus posts; you may PM the admin-owner and seek his permission. Fail to do this and I will suspend your account and ban your Ip. This is the only warning you will receive. Period.

Centrix Vigilis

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Aug-2012 at 03:14
some time truth can be stranger than fiction.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2012 at 19:14
This book claims "Assyrian" is a collective term for Iraqi Christian sects, including the Chaldeans, Nestorians and Aramaens
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=79wj2hj4wKUC&lpg=PP1&ots=vvD8DbQNFO&dq=assyrians%20kurds&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123