Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelen of Troy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helen of Troy
    Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 12:08

Greek Mythology is categorized as a "myth" by White scholars because it is really about stolen African Antiquity?

I have just seen previews for the movie Troy, and for the life of me I cannot see any reference to the fact that the King of Troy was the uncle of the King of Ethiopia and that the same Black King of Ethiopia came to help defend Troy with 10,000 Ethiopian men!  (Note:  In African history it is recorded as 200,000 men--maybe that is the myth!)

In May 2004 the movie Troy was released.  The Battle of Troy is based on Greek Mythology--meaning myth.  The Battle of Troy is listed in African Antiquity as a part of African History.  In 1193 B.C., Prince Paris (Bloom) of Troy stole the beautiful Greek woman, Helen (Kruger), away from her husband, Menelaus, the king of (Ethiopia) Sparta, setting the two nations at war with each other, as the Greeks began a bloody siege of Troy using their entire armada, led by Achilles (Brad Pitt), that lasted over a decade.

In African History:  1184-1174 BCE Trojan War.  King Priam of Troy and many Trojans are under siege by "Sea Peoples" including Myceneans, Pelesgians, Acheaens, etc.  Africans fight on both sides. Amazons fight on Trojan side.  Memnon, the African King of Ethiopian and brother to Emathion, King of Ethiopia arrives from Susa with 200,000 African troops to defend Troy and is killed by Achilles.

Memnon, King of Ethiopia, in Greek mythology, to be exact in Homer's Iliad, where he leads an army of Elamites and Ethiopians to the assistance of King Priam in the Trojan War. His expedition is said to have started from the African Ethiopia and to have passed through Egypt on the way to Troy. According to Herodotus, Memnon was the founder of Susa, the chief city of the Elamites. "There were places called Memnonia supposed to have been built by him both in Egypt and at Susa; and there was a tribe called Memnones at Moroe.  Memnon thus unites the eastern with the western Ethiopians. (Ancient Monarchies, Vol. I, Chap. 3.)

Abyssinia was an extensive territory in East Africa that is known today as Ethiopia. In ancient times Ethiopia extended over vast domains in both Africa and Asia. Classical historians and geographers called the whole region from India to Egypt, both countries inclusive, by the name of Ethiopia. They regarded all the dark-skinned and black peoples who inhabited it as Ethiopians.

http://www.stewartsynopsis.com/helen_of_troy.htm
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by BadazzFeliciano

<p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="justify">
    Greek Mythology is categorized as a "myth" by White
    scholars because it is
    really about stolen African Antiquity?

<table id="Autonumber2" border="5" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" width="100%">
        <t><tr>
          <td width="100%">

<font face="Arial">
          I have just seen previews for the movie Troy, and for the life
of me I cannot see any reference to the fact that the King of Troy was the uncle
of the King of Ethiopia and that the same Black King of Ethiopia came to help
defend Troy with 10,000 Ethiopian men!  (Note:  In African
history it is recorded as 200,000 men--maybe that is the myth!)

</td>
        </tr>
      </t></table>

<font face="arial" size="-1">I<font face="Arial">n May 2004 the movie
    Troy was released.  The Battle of Troy is based on Greek
    Mythology--meaning myth.  The Battle of Troy is listed in African
    Antiquity as a part of African History.  In 1193 B.C., Prince Paris
    (Bloom) of Troy stole the beautiful Greek woman, Helen (Kruger), away from
    her husband, Menelaus, the king of (Ethiopia) Sparta, setting the two
    nations at war with each other, as the Greeks began a bloody siege of Troy
    using their entire armada, led by Achilles (Brad Pitt), that lasted over a
    decade.

<font face="Arial">In African History:  1184-1174 BCE Trojan War.  King Priam of Troy
and many Trojans are under siege by "Sea Peoples" including Myceneans,
Pelesgians, Acheaens, etc.  Africans fight on both sides. Amazons fight on
Trojan side.  Memnon, the African King of Ethiopian and brother to Emathion,
    King of Ethiopia arrives from Susa with 200,000 African troops to defend Troy and is
killed by Achilles.

<font face="Arial">
    Memnon, King of Ethiopia, in Greek mythology, to be exact in
Homer's Iliad, where he leads an army of Elamites and Ethiopians
to the assistance of King Priam in the Trojan War. His expedition is said to
have started from the African Ethiopia and to have passed through Egypt on the
way to Troy. According to Herodotus, Memnon was the founder of Susa, the chief
city of the Elamites. "There were places called Memnonia supposed to have been built by him both in Egypt and at Susa; and
there was a tribe called Memnones at Moroe.  Memnon thus unites the eastern with
the western Ethiopians. (Ancient Monarchies, Vol. I, Chap. 3.)

<font face="Arial">Abyssinia was an extensive territory in East Africa that
    is known today as Ethiopia. In ancient times Ethiopia extended over vast
    domains in both Africa and Asia. Classical historians and geographers called
    the whole region from India to Egypt, both countries inclusive, by the name
    of Ethiopia. They regarded all the dark-skinned and black peoples who
    inhabited it as Ethiopians.

http://www.stewartsynopsis.com/helen_of_troy.htm

I am Greek and I find this Afro-centric baloney offensive. I have studied Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey and you have to remember story was transmitted orally till the time of Homer. Nothing you state can be proven and this sounds as bad as the man who claims Troy was in England. Archaeology (see modern Scholar series on Greece) itself has helped to support parts of the Iliad but your premise is racist in itself and based on unproven theory or speculation. (I am not calling you a racist- I don't know you) I read Bernal first two books and even before I had a history degree I thought it was full of baloney. Mary Lefkowitz disputes this!

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 13:37
whoever said troy was england? and let's not forget england's 100 famous people, one of them was a black roman emperor, and Greece is filled with people that are black hair and dark skin. If you're Greek then you should write well in English language eh? Nothing I've posted is theory or made up. It's just whites looooooooooooooooove to rewrite history and claimed everything for themselves. so don't bother trying to fool me with your white man's lies.  
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 13:58
Originally posted by BadazzFeliciano

whoever said troy was england? and let's not forget england's 100 famous people, one of them was a black roman emperor, and Greece is filled with people that are black hair and dark skin. If you're Greek then you should write well in English language eh? Nothing I've posted is theory or made up. It's just whites looooooooooooooooove to rewrite history and claimed everything for themselves. so don't bother trying to fool me with your white man's lies.  

It was some BS theory I read while I attended community college.

If you're Greek then you should write well in English language eh?

This could bring you one step closer to an official warning so watch the insults. So, explain what this means please!

I am half Greek from my mother's side.

It's just whites looooooooooooooooove to rewrite history and claimed everything for themselves.

Oh the evil white man! I suggest reading "Defending the West" by Ibn Warraq. He is an Iranian by the way.

Nothing I've posted is theory or made up.

Then prove it but so far you have not proven anything! Since the best source we have about this period is the Iliad and Odyssey we have no written record. There was Linear B but it is only a list of items like sheep or olive oil. The Dark Age began after the fall of Troy about 1100 BC and lasted till about 700 BC. These stories were passed down orally generation after generation till the time of Homer about 760 BC. In that time the stories were altered and embellished by the story teller, so you cannot use the Iliad or the Odyssey to prove anything. This is what Afro-centric historians do! To me it is the Afro-centric crowd who is attempting to take our Greek history, meaning people of the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Edited by eaglecap - 01-Apr-2010 at 13:59
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 14:03
Eaglecap! While I will not even attempt any sane discourse with a "Bad-Azz!", I will suggest that no one really knows when Homer's oral poems were actually placed upon parchment, or vellum, or papyrus! As I understand it, the actual written verses were only discovered multi hundreds of years later!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 14:16
Originally posted by opuslola

Eaglecap! While I will not even attempt any sane discourse with a "Bad-Azz!", I will suggest that no one really knows when Homer's oral poems were actually placed upon parchment, or vellum, or papyrus! As I understand it, the actual written verses were only discovered multi hundreds of years later!

Regards,

They have a good idea that it was about 760 A.D., give or take a few decades. My main point was that the story changed over time. There is some archaeological evidence that support parts of the story but not all of it. I said supports and did not say it proves the story!   I am going over their CD set on Ancient Greece, by the Modern Scholars series, now.

The funny thing about it is they don't even know if Homer was a man or woman. The word Homer could have been a term for bard, one theory. (See Modern Scholar series on Ancient Greece)

Oh by the by please name the Black Roman Emperor so I can verify it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 14:46
Eaglecap! I could suggest one possibility?

How about Emperor Maurice?

Regards,
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by opuslola

Eaglecap! I could suggest one possibility?

How about Emperor Maurice?

Regards,

I am not sure about the above named Emperor. I know one Afro-centrist claim is Scipio Africanus. I want him to tell me!

For the Afro-centrist's logic anything thing in Africa = black.

So, by virtue of his origins scipio africanus is black or so they claim. I would not care if he was but this is revision for PC reasons.

Edited by eaglecap - 01-Apr-2010 at 15:04
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 21:50

(It was some BS theory I read while I attended community college. )

i went to college, and one thing i know about college is that they will tell you same bs lies they told in high school, junior high, and so on.

(This could bring you one step closer to an official warning so watch the insults. So, explain what this means please! )

i do not care about your warnings and it wasn't insult, if you're Greek then you're writing pretty well in English language, right? right.

(I am half Greek from my mother's side. )

So that means hundred years ago your five times great grandmother had sex with a black man. So you're not full blood Greek, 'cause first time you simply just said am Greek.  I bet most liking YOU didn't grow up in Greece.

(Oh the evil white man! I suggest reading "Defending the West" by Ibn Warraq. He is an Iranian by the way. )

Why don't you read the book People's History of United States, or how about Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, or Lies My Teacher Told Me, or Native America. I don't care if Ibn is a Iranian. He could be Asian for all I care.

(Then prove it but so far you have not proven anything! Since the best source we have about this period is the Iliad and Odyssey we have no written record. There was Linear B but it is only a list of items like sheep or olive oil. The Dark Age began after the fall of Troy about 1100 BC and lasted till about 700 BC. These stories were passed down orally generation after generation till the time of Homer about 760 BC. In that time the stories were altered and embellished by the story teller, so you cannot use the Iliad or the Odyssey to prove anything. This is what Afro-centric historians do! To me it is the Afro-centric crowd who is attempting to take our Greek history, meaning people of the Mediterranean and Middle East. )

Yeah, yeah, every time someone writes something positive about black people it ALWAYS gotta be called Afro-centric. Even through every time people posted articles by Europeans it is never called Euro-centric. Hmm, I wonder why.

No, the best source isn't Iliad or Odyssey, or whatever white man source you want to use. Why don't you explain to everybody on this forum why Greeks have high rate of Sickle Cell? Which is common disease among people who are black skin or dark skin.

lol the Dark age did not began after the fall of Troy. Man, you don't know your history do you? Everyone who ever study history knows the Dark age started during Fall of Rome around the year 325 A.D. True Rome had not fallen yet at 325 A.D. but it was already declining.

No, the stories were not passed down by oral tradition. In Africa's history the story of Troy is well known by the people there, and there would be books and books about Troy if it wasn't for Europeans coming in and burning down libraries like they did to Alexandria.

Who said I was using the Iliad or the Odyssey to prove it? That's you. Not me. It's obvious you didn't bother to read the article.

You need to reeducated yourself, especially on the Dark Ages.

Edited by BadazzFeliciano - 02-Apr-2010 at 21:53
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 12:43
Everyone who ever study history knows the Dark age started during Fall of Rome around the year 325 A.D. True Rome had not fallen yet at 325 A.D. but it was already declining. No, the stories were not passed down by oral tradition. Everyone who ever study history knows the Dark age started during Fall of Rome around the year 325 A.D. True Rome had not fallen yet at 325 A.D. but it was already declining. No, the stories were not passed down by oral tradition.\

I will have to get back to this when I have time, but I will address this statement.

First, I am not talking about the fall of Rome!
There has been more than one Dark Age, and the one I was referring to happened after the fall of Troy -1100 BC to about 750 BC. It really makes me believe your history education is very limited, no offense.

I have a Masters in cultural History from Eastern Washington University but I don't know you so I do not know anything about you.

I will be back to this possibly Monday.
Regards
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 12:51
Originally posted by eaglecap

Everyone who ever study history knows the Dark age started during Fall of Rome around the year 325 A.D. True Rome had not fallen yet at 325 A.D. but it was already declining. No, the stories were not passed down by oral tradition. Everyone who ever study history knows the Dark age started during Fall of Rome around the year 325 A.D. True Rome had not fallen yet at 325 A.D. but it was already declining. No, the stories were not passed down by oral tradition.\

I will have to get back to this when I have time, but I will address this statement.

First, I am not talking about the fall of Rome!
There has been more than one Dark Age, and the one I was referring to happened after the fall of Troy -1100 BC to about 750 BC. It really makes me believe your history education is very limited, no offense.

I have a Masters in cultural History from Eastern Washington University but I don't know you so I do not know anything about you.

I will be back to this possibly Monday.
Regards

Who said I was using the Iliad or the Odyssey to prove it? That's you. Not me. It's obvious you didn't bother to read the article.

Yes I did and I am familar with Afro-centric views and this is a common premise.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 17:01
Dear "BadAzz!

I hope you noticed the reference to "other dark ages" that EAGLECAP, mentioned above?

As a matter of fact, almost all old empires are saddled with them! Some times they are called "intermediate periods" or other times "lacunae", or maybe even other terms? But, one cannot know much about ancient history without running into these periods!

You must have missed that class?

Maybe you should check them out for yourself?

Egyptian history is full of them!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 03-Apr-2010 at 17:07
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 23:31
there's only two dark ages, one when the europeans were killin' poor europeans by the millions and second was when europeans were killin' native americans by the millions.

you don't know for a fact all old empires went through that. you're just repeatin' white man's lies.

one thing i learn about class was when my history teacher told me 99% what i was told about america's history was a lie. that was only real teacher i ever had in high school. but i guess you weren't told the truth huh?

Kemet history is all about spiritual advancements, foo. you don't know nothin' bout kemet
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2010 at 16:03
The time period known as the dark ages is generally thought to have begun around the 6th cent. ad.  The name actually refers to the fact that due to a volcanic eruption the skys were darker than normal and winters much more severe.  This was the cause for the "Germanic migrations"of that time.

Fact- not all "old empires" went through this type of failure, however about 2/3s of them did.

For example, Kemet, [which is the ancient Coptic Ethiopian name for predynastic Egypt] evolved into the "Old kingdom" of Egypt.  When the OK collapsed due to drought, the same drought was global.  It not only brought down the OK but is credited for being the reason the Culture of Teotiuachan fell also.

The person who told you that 99% of American History was a lie is no teacher.  Anyone who would be that irresponsible has no place being in a classroom.  Especially in this day and age.  Are there still inaccuracies? Certainly, but in the last forty years there has been an effort to correct much of the racist slop.  As I am from a very different generation than anyone here other than opuslola,  I would agree that at one time American history seemed to be written by the good Ladies of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  As a kid, my dad was the one I relied on for separating the real from the Bull.  He was the one who told me about- black cowboys, the fact that most Whaling crews were black with white captains and gave me the real story about the Tuskegee Airmen.

BTW, the second dark ages you refer to is a good example of an inaccuracy from the Afro Centrist side.  Whereas the Spanish were hardly sweethearts, they [or anyone else for that matter] did not intentionally spread their diseases,  Medical knowledge being what it was then, they really had no idea what would happen when the two cultures met.
I am not making lite of this, but where the Euros may have killed a few thousand, the diseases they and others brought was what actually killed Millions.

Badazz, I have attended several seminars given by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Professor Emeritus of Rutgers University, the State Uni of New Jersey, African studies Department.  [He is also the retired Chair of that department and Author of "They Came Before Columbus" in 1976].  He will admit that his early ideas were quite a bit overdone, but he felt that if his theories were going to get any attention at all, it would require a certain amount of outrageousness to get attention, but nothing that couldn't be conveniently tempered later..

Be careful of anyone using terms such as "White mans lies" they are pushing an agenda and
usually don't give a damn whether or not it's true.

In case your wondering, I am not "African American".  However, my own heritage includes African American.  My Great Great Grandmother was African American who married a full blood Cherokee.
My dad is the last one in the family to reflect either heritage.  All of his life he's caught hell from italians who thought he was ashamed of his heritage.Big smile

Not all is as it seems.Geek

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 10:42
Originally posted by red clay

The time period known as the dark ages is generally thought to have begun around the 6th cent. ad.  The name actually refers to the fact that due to a volcanic eruption the skys were darker than normal and winters much more severe.  This was the cause for the "Germanic migrations"of that time.

Fact- not all "old empires" went through this type of failure, however about 2/3s of them did.

For example, Kemet, [which is the ancient Coptic Ethiopian name for predynastic Egypt] evolved into the "Old kingdom" of Egypt.  When the OK collapsed due to drought, the same drought was global.  It not only brought down the OK but is credited for being the reason the Culture of Teotiuachan fell also.

The person who told you that 99% of American History was a lie is no teacher.  Anyone who would be that irresponsible has no place being in a classroom.  Especially in this day and age.  Are there still inaccuracies? Certainly, but in the last forty years there has been an effort to correct much of the racist slop.  As I am from a very different generation than anyone here other than opuslola,  I would agree that at one time American history seemed to be written by the good Ladies of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  As a kid, my dad was the one I relied on for separating the real from the Bull.  He was the one who told me about- black cowboys, the fact that most Whaling crews were black with white captains and gave me the real story about the Tuskegee Airmen.

BTW, the second dark ages you refer to is a good example of an inaccuracy from the Afro Centrist side.  Whereas the Spanish were hardly sweethearts, they [or anyone else for that matter] did not intentionally spread their diseases,  Medical knowledge being what it was then, they really had no idea what would happen when the two cultures met.

I am not making lite of this, but where the Euros may have killed a few thousand, the diseases they and others brought was what actually killed Millions.

Badazz, I have attended several seminars given by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Professor Emeritus of Rutgers University, the State Uni of New Jersey, African studies Department.  [He is also the retired Chair of that department and Author of "They Came Before Columbus" in 1976].  He will admit that his early ideas were quite a bit overdone, but he felt that if his theories were going to get any attention at all, it would require a certain amount of outrageousness to get attention, but nothing that couldn't be conveniently tempered later..

Be careful of anyone using terms such as "White mans lies" they are pushing an agenda and

usually don't give a damn whether or not it's true.

In case your wondering, I am not "African American".  However, my own heritage includes African American.  My Great Great Grandmother was African American who married a full blood Cherokee.

My dad is the last one in the family to reflect either heritage.  All of his life he's caught hell from italians who thought he was ashamed of his heritage.Big smile

Not all is as it seems.Geek

I agree with Red Clay but with your community college education, no offense, you must know better. You are very narrow minded with these Afro-centric views. I have been to Greece and Turkiye and I have been to most of the museums and arachaological sites, have you? If everything is based on your narrow racist views than there is no point in agruing with you, afterall, you know everything.

The evidence for a Dark, in Greece, mainly comes from archaeology. Writing had disapeared and even art went into decline. The culture constinued but declined from 1100 BC to 750 BC.

I am tempted to shut this one thing because you have only one focus White man's lies!!

I will suggest you pick up a copy of "Defending The West" by Ibn Warraq.
and

http://www.infibeam.com/Books/search?author=Mary+Lefkowitz

Your History Instructor is not God and does not know everything.

Anymore race baiting references and I will shut this down. Let me look at the terms and see and I may still shut it down.

6. Nationalism and the belittlement of religious groups; derogatory remarks to religious, national or ethnic groups and members, jingoism, bigotry, racism, political propaganda. (see appendix below)

3. Trolling; Trolling is the act of posting witty, response-provoking comments that appear relevant in order to disrupt the discussion, annoy or create attention. Trolling can also be considered as Spam, inflammatory remarks, or annoyance.

Edited by eaglecap - 05-Apr-2010 at 10:52
 Post Reply Post Reply