Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moorish influence in Spain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
drill_skill_800 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drill_skill_800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moorish influence in Spain
    Posted: 27-Mar-2010 at 20:12
I would like to pose a question for discussion:

Could the Rennaissance have ever happenned without the Arab/Moorish influence in Spain?

I'd like to comment on the cultural exchanges that occurred in terms of art, technology, science, medicine and lifestyle.

My arguement is inspired by the film Cities of Light.  (http://www.islamicspain.tv/)

I look forward to hearing some ideas.

Kilo
There is a fine line between gifted and retarded
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 09:48
An interesting question but one that has been explored a number of times, I presume!

I will however review the site you have shown, and sometime later (I hope) I will respond with a better answer!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 21:54

The Italian Renaissance  ( term used in proper sense ) was foremost an artistic movement and did not need Moors /Moslems. Let take  the revival of classical painting  for now. 

Marvelous painting by the Italian Raphael ( 16th century) Plato and Aristotle, School of Athens:  

Below : The Greek philosophers again but now an Arabic /Islamic painting. A more cartoon-like style. A world of difference. 

Edited by Sander - 28-Apr-2010 at 22:41
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2010 at 15:10
Dear Sander! I wish I knew how to transfer pictures to this site? I would sure help me!

But, just like my inability to make inter-net sites become touch and transfer, I just do not understand the technology! As Yoda might have said; "Stupid, I am!" I can barely move the little "smiley faces" around, and I even refrain from using them most of the time.

I also do not have any idea how every one else is able to highlight in white, the words of another and then insert their response! Thus I have to use quotation marks, and names, and my response, etc.!

But, that is my weakness and my failure, I suppose? It just seems that these sites do not come with a "how to do it page!"

All of the above BS, aside, I also know that you are a big mover and shaker on other history sites! Your feeble mention of 353 posts does in no way explain how you are now and it seems for some time have become a moderator!

To be somewhat trivial, I would have to suppose that you are a real "Moderate?" chuckle!

But, just how does Cyrus know this?

That is, I presume that it is he, the "owner" of this site, is the one who both nominates and approves personages to become "moderators!"?

You may answer via PM, if you wish!

But, as regards your last post, I would suggest that there had to be a great deal of "scientific" work established before such realism in painting and sculpture "again became as good as that of the ancients!"

Again, we must presume that all knowledge of realistic sculpture and painting, disappeared for hundreds of years, and the "old" or "ancient" abilities had to be "re-learned!"

You choice to post the painting above, shows certain elements such as "depth perception" and body musculature representation that can only be the result of numerous years of study and practice!

In other words, I do not see a "dark age!", but a continuum of learning! I rather doubt that the leaders of Rome, actually sat upon or within ruins, whilst passing laws, etc.!

I have, again, rambled enough!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 29-Apr-2010 at 15:52
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 04:38

Opuslola wants to know how he can post pics, make hyper-links etc. Lets assist him in a special thread until he succeeds. Opuslola, you can ask questions, practice etc. in this thread:

Edited by Sander - 30-Apr-2010 at 04:45
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 13:48
Thanks Sander! As you well know, I am most ancient and mostly computer illerate! (Strangely I did understand a lot about DOS!)

I have trouble following most all (modern) computer promts, etc.!, since they seem to make assumptions that the operator understands things that they consider normal!

Maybe it is because I have a "love/hate relationship" with it?

Regards,
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 00:58
Originally posted by Sander

The Italian Renaissance  ( term used in proper sense ) was foremost an artistic movement and did not need Moors /Moslems. Let take  the revival of classical painting  for now. 

Marvelous painting by the Italian Raphael ( 16th century) Plato and Aristotle, School of Athens:  

Below : The Greek philosophers again but now an Arabic /Islamic painting. A more cartoon-like style. A world of difference. 

From what century was that Islamic drawing?

And some Muslim contributions to the West are undeniable, such as paper. The Muslims also preserved many ancient Greek manuscripts, such as the mathematical and geometric treatise Euclid's Elements, which Adelard of Bath, an English scholar, translated into Latin from Arabic.
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 02:49
Originally posted by Arab

From what century was that Islamic drawing?

And some Muslim contributions to the West are undeniable, such as paper. The Muslims also preserved many ancient Greek manuscripts, such as the mathematical and geometric treatise Euclid's Elements, which Adelard of Bath, an English scholar, translated into Latin from Arabic.

Paper was invented by the Chinese- Four Great Inventions of Ancient China. Before arrival of papermaking techology, Europeans used papyrus and parchment to make books. I don`t think this is any "Muslim" achievement. It`s quite strange when someone says: "Muslim achievement" or "Christian achievement". In this line of thought might say that: "Christians invented computer" or "Christians firstly stepped on the Moon", but this could not be true because Christianity as a religion didn`t had any role in this achievements. Caliphate of Córdoba and Mughal Empire of India were very advanced country in that time, but their rulers didn`t follow strictly Qu`ran and the Sharia. There religious freedom prevailed. Both of that Middle States were under strong cultural influence- Moors from Greco-Roman civilization and respectively Moghuls from Indian civilization.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 03:53
Fair enough, but the person I was replying to was doing just that, when he compared the paintings.

I do know that Muslims/Moors didn't invent paper, but if it wasn't for the Moors Chinese paper wouldn't have reached Europe (at least not for a very long time). Those other types of papers were very costly to make, but with the introduction of Chinese paper to Europe by the Moors, it became easy and inexpensive.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 15:26
one thing i dont understand is what was the exact reason moors became so advanced in every thing? i mean i could understand egyptians, persians, iraqis, indian muslims being advanced because these civilizations already had a track record of advancement before islam, however moors were mostly made of nomadic berbers and arabs from hejaz, weren't they? so how did they get so advance so quickly when went to spain?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 21:03
Ditto!
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2010 at 04:32
Originally posted by balochii

one thing i dont understand is what was the exact reason moors became so advanced in every thing? i mean i could understand egyptians, persians, iraqis, indian muslims being advanced because these civilizations already had a track record of advancement before islam, however moors were mostly made of nomadic berbers and arabs from hejaz, weren't they? so how did they get so advance so quickly when went to spain?

Because province of Baetica was one of the most important Roman provinces. There were established many Roman and Italic colonies, a network of huge cities. Roman emperors Trajan and Hadrian were born in Beatica. Marcus Aurelius` family originated in Ucubi, small town south-east of Cordoba. The cities like Cordoba, Granada, Toledo, Seville ever existed in their full brilliance when Moors arrived. Visigoths didn`t destroy anything when they came in Spain. Early Medieval sources say that Visigoths led a sophisticated lifestyle, much more sophisticated then in other past-Roman states. They followed traditions of the late Roman empire.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 22:10

Sander, Islamic art may look "cartoonish" to modern eyes but it was centuries ahead of its medieval European counterpart which (though beautiful) lacks depth, detail and basic shading (compare the European picture above to your Islamic painting which captures the folds of the clothes, the philosophers' skin tones and even provides detailed representations of the little flowers)

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-May-2011 at 22:11
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 11:53
I think you are overlooking the fact that one of the biggest achievements of the Moors was in the field of Architecture and Geometry. Let us not forget the Al Hambra Palace and many other imposing beautiful structures that were built in Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla. Moors were also known to have improved the Greek Kythara into an instrument that still exists today, the Oud. This had a major impact on spreading art in the form of music as we hear of European 'Troubadours' and 'Bards' who travelled across Europe with their Guitars. And of course we can't forget the fact that they preserved Greek sciences and even improved them.
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 16:15
What does it means Moor?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 16:20
I think it comes from Mauri, the name of a black North African tribe
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 17:15
No, Moor denominates North Africans of the Islamic period. Basically, annyone pertaining to either the Ummayad, Al Moravid (المرابطون)or Al Mohad (الموحدون)dynasties. Contrary to European belief, which in fact is very vague on this subject, Moors were not Black Africans. I can see how the confusion arose since these dynasties stretched as far as modern Mali and Senegal. As someone mentioned earlier, they are a mix of Berbers and Hejazi Arabs. Moor comes from the spanish 'Mauro' which literally means Moor. Also, the etymology is much more ancient since the region was a Roman province called Mauretania, not to be confused with the modern Mauritania. Nick is right, the Romans called the province Mauretania and the people Mauri.
Timidi mater non flet
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 17:37
What about the Moorish influence upon Italy and France? What about an emperor named "Maurice", etc.?

Can anyone give me a real example as to why they were considered as Islamists? Other than hearsay, and ancedotal materials, just where is the evidence?

During the time of Shakespeare did any English literature use the word Moslim, or Islam, etc.?

Besides time, just what else seperates the pirates who inhabited N. Africa for centuries before the Barbary Pirates, and they, it seems, ran amuck for over two centuries.

Just checking!

Regards,
Ron
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 17:38
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

I think you are overlooking the fact that one of the biggest achievements of the Moors was in the field of Architecture and Geometry. Let us not forget the Al Hambra Palace and many other imposing beautiful structures that were built in Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla. Moors were also known to have improved the Greek Kythara into an instrument that still exists today, the Oud. This had a major impact on spreading art in the form of music as we hear of European 'Troubadours' and 'Bards' who travelled across Europe with their Guitars. And of course we can't forget the fact that they preserved Greek sciences and even improved them.

I agree with you in regard to the accomplishments of the Moors. It irritates me when people disregard or downplay their achievements and their influence on Iberian and European culture as a whole.

Originally posted by Baal Melqart

No, Moor denominates North Africans of the Islamic period. Basically, annyone pertaining to either the Ummayad, Al Moravid (المرابطون)or Al Mohad (الموحدون)dynasties. Contrary to European belief, which in fact is very vague on this subject, Moors were not Black Africans. I can see how the confusion arose since these dynasties stretched as far as modern Mali and Senegal. As someone mentioned earlier, they are a mix of Berbers and Hejazi Arabs. Moor comes from the spanish 'Mauro' which literally means Moor. Also, the etymology is much more ancient since the region was a Roman province called Mauretania, not to be confused with the modern Mauritania. Nick is right, the Romans called the province Mauretania and the people Mauri.

Interesting, I was always told that "Moor" came from a word meaning "black", I never knew until now that it comes from Mauritania.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 17:49
Originally posted by opuslola

What about the Moorish influence upon Italy and France?

Averroes, Iberian Muslim philosopher, greatly influenced European Renaissance thinkers, and his works were widely circulated around Europe.

Can anyone give me a real example as to why they were considered as Islamists? Other than hearsay, and ancedotal materials, just where is the evidence?

The Almoravids were quite tolerant of other faiths; it was the Almohads who gave them a bad rap. They caused many Jews and Christians to emigrate. But we must remember that under the Moors the Jews of Iberia underwent a golden age.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>