Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mapping site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gkaszycki View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gkaszycki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mapping site
    Posted: 26-Mar-2010 at 09:57
I have just created a mapping website that people here might be interested in.
http://www.whemi.org/
The plan is to provide a repository of historical information and then generate maps from the input.
The maps come up in GoogleEarth (or any other kml handler).
Currently it is light on data, but my hope is that since it is a publicly accessible database (like wikipedia) we can get it populated (with the help of knowledgeable people)
Since the mapper interpolates, we should be able to generate a complete set of world maps. (for all years from -4000 to +2000)

Give it a try and tell me what you think. (either on this forum or through the contact from the site)
Doin' my best... sadly
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2010 at 13:25
Looks interesting but I need time to study it more.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 18:07
On my "favorites" section, which is obscenely long, I have dozens of dozens of sites, that contain "Old Maps" or "old depictions" of cities, etc.!

Perhaps, I should start finding them and delivering them to this site?

Or would another venue be better?

But, as many of you well know, a site that was visible and obtainable a few weeks ago, much less than a few years ago, disappear regularally!

So, your opinions?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
gkaszycki View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gkaszycki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2010 at 07:59
The difference about this site is that it does not post maps.

It generates maps in Google Earth based on Cities and what kingdoms controlled those cities at what times.

So for each city it knows longitude and latitude and when it was founded.
Then it has a list of usually about 10-20 times in history that it changed hands, what country/kingdom took control and what the approximate population was.

Then for any year, the mapping program knows who controls it (who conquered it last) and what its size/population is.

With a list of cities/locations and ownership, it can then generate a reasonably accurate map.

The more information, the better the maps.
Doin' my best... sadly
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 21:09
Seems to me this program has too many assumptions built in! How about cities whose place is mostly assumption? How about a city that is or was known by differing names in differing times? How many times have you read a site that gives the names of towns or cities, with names you do not recognize immediately?

The entire thing is designed to support the consensual theory and ignore anything else!
gkaszycki View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gkaszycki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2010 at 11:29
Thanks for visiting the site and for your honest feedback.

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at.  This site does not attempt to write history but only to provide a conduit for others to input the data.  As more is learned and input, the site becomes more accurate.  In that sense, it is history by consensus but I am not sure I understand how that is a bad thing.

Also, cities changing names is within the framework of the data.  If a city is known as "Alpha" from year 1 to 100 and changes its name you can end Alpha and start Beta in the same spot.

Although I think you have a point that there is not a way of handling multiple concurrent names for a single city.
Doin' my best... sadly
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2010 at 22:38
As a small alien might have said a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away!

Hard, it is, for attempts of regularity, to cover, and respect, known facts, where they are, supported not!
 Post Reply Post Reply