Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-European Heroes, good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-European Heroes, good or bad?
    Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 07:18
I would say that the story of Gilgamesh, also known as the King of Heroes, has him pretty well in that genre too. There is definitely good and bad elements to do with him in that story I would say. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 06:20
What is basic element of Those Heroes?!?In fact they had absorbed characteristics&story of ancient Heroes and expelled them out of History!?!Now I have solved ancient History riddle!?!There was only one Big migration in Euro&Asian&African areas(in last 2000&2500:Migration from India in those directions and cleanse of natives outside of territories natives have lived!In fact Rome&Byzantine Empires were just their coverage!In last five centuries they did the same with rest of the world.Prepare yourselves for space colonization!Big smileIt is better that rather WW2's solutions!

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2011 at 19:08
Still true today with our modern action heros
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2010 at 15:57

"The epic hero of the ancient and medieval world is a problematic character: he simultaneously embodies the bright dream of a protective and courageous aristocrat, and the brutal fact of a violent man with a talent for killing. This dichotomy is often found in the characters of Indo-European heroes, who are at once both responsible for the protection of their society/state and its stability, yet by virtue of their capacity for violence, are bound to exist on the margins of society---they are never fully accepted as trusted members of their community. The hero has several complex functions within epic literature: he serves as a mediator between the mundane and supernatural worlds; he serves to protect his society, but is sometimes the bringer of social chaos; he supports the monarch, yet often this relationship is fraught with tension." (A comparative study of the hero in medieval Ireland, Persia, and England By Connell Raymond Monette)

It has always been interesting for me to know those who are considered as heroes in the Indo-European cultures were really good characters?!! What do you think about a man who deceives his own son and then kills him? Even in modern movies, you can hardly find a heroic character who cowardly flees from a battle! Why these Indo-European heroes had many different characters?!
 Post Reply Post Reply