Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 days in India in the early March!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 days in India in the early March!
    Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 06:21
I am going to visit some famous historical places in India, like that Taj Mahal in Agra, but I am concerned about somethings, for example I have heard India is a polluted and unsanitary country! Ouch Is it true?! I also don't like the crowded places, it seems India has the largest number of beggars in the world too!!
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 07:03

That`s great! India is a magical place which I want to visit at least once in my life. As I know March is the hottest month of the year in India. Your anti-malaria vaccination is binding. Taj Mahal and Red Fort of Arga are very impressive place to visit, but you must be prepare to see also something like this on streets of Agra

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 01:15
But it is said the early days of march is the best time to visit north India, this site says it too: http://www.delhi-tourism-india.com/delhi-info/weather.htm and this year Holi festival of colours will be celebrated at this time too.
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 09:00
I know that Monsoon (rainy) season occur from June through September in India. The temperature in this time of the year is not very high, but obviously in Delhi Monsoon start as late as July. I check and I find that in much northern cities like Srinagar it starts even in August. In the same time in Delhi occur some kind of a low temperature during January and February, because of the cold fronts coming from Himalaya. Begining of March seems to be the best time of the year for travelling right there. Not very hot and with pleasant weather. Of coursе temperature of + 4 Celsius (record low for Delhi) can`t scare someone who felt on his skin much lower then that, but bizarre I read about beggars in North India died due this lower ?!Ermm temperatures
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 22:27

I wonder about the Indian culture, you mentioned a good thing in another thread, Indo-European people usually prefer the cold weather to the hot weather, from the north to south, it can be said first Indo-Europeans then Altaic people and in the south Semitic and Dravidian people live, Iranian and Indian speaking people have changed it but Iranians mostly live in the mountainous regions (highlands) in the north Iraq, east Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan where the weather is even colder than the northern regions.

Anyway Indians seem to be different, one interesting thing is that there is no Indo-European origin word for "snow" in the Indian languages!

Indo-European etymology: Snow

Proto-IE: *sneigʷhe-

Nostratic etymology:

Meaning: snow, to snow

Tokharian: B śiñcatstse 'snowy' (Adams 629)

Avestan: snaēženti (ayąn) `an einem schneienden Tage', conj. snaēžāt_ `wird schneien'

Old Greek: hom. acc. níph-a `fallender Schnee'; hom. agá-nnipho- `sehr beschneit'; niphetó-s m. `fallender Schnee, Schneesturm'; niphás, -ádos f. `Schneeflocke, -gestöber'; néi̯phei̯, aor. nêi̯psai̯, neiphthē̂nai̯, ft. néi̯psei̯ `es schneit'

Slavic: *snēgъ D; *snēgulja, *snēžīcā, *snēgyrь (разные птицы)

Baltic: *sneĩg-a- c., *sneĩg-u- sb., *snig-teî (prs. sneĩg=) vb., *snaig-[a]- m.

Germanic: *snī(g)w-a- vb.; *snai(g)w-a- m.

Latin: nix, gen. nivis f. `Schnee'; nīvit, -ere `schneien', ninguit, nīnxit, -ere `schneien'

Celtic: *snig-, *snixt- > Ir snigid `es tropft, regnet', snige `Tropfen, Regen', snechta `Schnee'; Cymr nyf `Schnee', nyfio `schneien'

Russ. meaning: снег; идти (о снеге)

References: WP II 695
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2010 at 09:25
Hm. Which Indian languages? There is dravidian languages too. Name Himalaya came from Sanskrit word himavant - Hindu God of snow. I find a translation to Himavant "having much snow". Sanskrit himá "frost, snow" is cognate to Latin hiems "winter". In Bulgarian winter is "zima". It`s same in Russian and all Slavic languages I know. So meaning of himá is winter, not snow and Himavant- winterly place.
Аlso:
Lith. sniegas, Ltv. sniegs, Old Prussian snaygis, Russ. снег (sneg), Ir. snechta/sneachta, Skr. स्नेह (sneha), Eng. snāw/snow, Gk. νίφα (nipha), Gm. sneo/Schnee, ON snjór, Goth. snaiws, Polish śnieg, Welsh nyf, Av. snaēža, Toch. /śiñcatstse
in proto Indo-European language- *sneygʷʰ-
And aslo:
Karl Hoffman proposed in 1965 that the original meaning of the root was "to stick, remain",
with semantic shift to "snow" (i.e. snow is that which sticks). That sense is still being assigned
in LIV. However, that interpretation is highly unlikely, given that all the other daughters except
Sanskrit (and also within Indo-Iranian and even Indo-Aryan family itself; cf. Prakrit reflex siṇēha
"snow, hoarfrost") point to "to snow" as the original meaning of the root. According to Cheung
(2007), Hoffman's explanation that this meaning could have coexisted with the meaning
"to snow" is untenable. Cheung (2007) argues that the Sanskrit meaning "to stick,remain; sticky fluid" is secondary (possibly of slang origin) "perhaps from whitish bodily fluids
which are compared to snow, notably snot and spit".

That`s quite interesting! May be ancient Indo-Aryans from Rig Veda times ever forget how snow
looks like, but due some memory about it`s sticky structure the word "sneha" took new meaning
as "oil", "grease".

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 22-Feb-2010 at 09:28
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2010 at 12:05
Expect a lot of crowds, a lot of pollution, and very very unsanitary conditions in some places and neighborhoods. India is a very overwhelmingly poor nation still.

I have heard horror stories, such as people defecating right on the streets or pissing on walls...
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2010 at 09:21

Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Hm. Which Indian languages? There is dravidian languages too.

By Indian I meant a subgroup of Indo-European languages, Dravidian is not Indo-European.

Name Himalaya came from Sanskrit word himavant - Hindu God of snow. I find a translation to Himavant "having much snow". Sanskrit himá "frost, snow" is cognate to Latin hiems "winter". In Bulgarian winter is "zima". It`s same in Russian and all Slavic languages I know. So meaning of himá is winter, not snow and Himavant- winterly place.

You yourself said about it, it means "winter", not "snow", the Persian word for "winter" is also "Zima", of course we mostly use "Zimistan" (Place/period of winter)..

So meaning of himá is winter, not snow and Himavant- winterly place.
Аlso:
Lith. sniegas, Ltv. sniegs, Old Prussian snaygis, Russ. снег (sneg), Ir. snechta/sneachta, Skr. स्नेह (sneha), Eng. snāw/snow, Gk. νίφα (nipha), Gm. sneo/Schnee, ON snjór, Goth. snaiws, Polish śnieg, Welsh nyf, Av. snaēža, Toch. /śiñcatstse
in proto Indo-European language- *sneygʷʰ-
I think Sasnkrit sneha means "love", so it can't be related to those words.

It should be mentioned that the Persian word for "snow" is "varf", of course it doesn't mean "to snow" but just something which lays on the ground, as you read here, the english word "wrap" has the same origin, it says about "snow" that the Proto-IE word *sniegwh also meant "wrap", so Sanskrit "snayati/snai" (http://www.oldict.com/snai/678/) means "to wrap, envelop", it says snow being conceivable as that which "wraps" (covers) the earth.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2010 at 08:55
Good bye for now, I will go tonight, I hope I can connect to the internet there, otherwise I will back on March 11th.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2010 at 17:21
Enjoy the trip. 

Often read tip :  Don't touch the cows Exclamation 
They are  considered sacred. They wander everywhere . Traffic waits for hours if one sits on the road etc .

Edited by Sander - 01-Mar-2010 at 17:29
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2010 at 01:42
Have a nice trip!
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2010 at 20:24
India is a huge country, it really depends where you go. for example if you go north in around Kashmir, you feel you are in Europe (alps) its so beautiful there, also people are similar to iranic there, in terms of culture and looks. if you go south india, its totally dravdian culture there, which will be very different for you. North india is mixed, you see shades of both types of cultures there. I think you should visit Delhi and all the mughal cities and those historical places, too bad you can't go to pakistan these, pakistan actually has more historical places then present day india, most of the indus valley civilization cities are in pakistan, also pakistan is where you the mix of indic and iranic people the most
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2010 at 21:22

Hi, I came back, I can just say that Indians deserve to live better than they do, the situation of life in India is really awful! Cry

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 07:03
I will post my photos later, this one is in Lotus Bahai Temple in Delhi:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 14:13
i have never been to India Cyrus but I have spent time in Mexico and it is not known for sanitary conditions. Yet, I never got sick because I was careful and drank only filtered water. With food, well, you just have to risk it and hope for the best. Maybe bring a hand held filter for emergencies and a first aid kit. I carry a first aid kit no matter where I go, especially in the wild. I have had friends go there and most of them did not get sick. I am sure the conditions vary in India like it does in Mexico.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 17:35
Instead, I usually drink something disinfected by alcohol! Laugh! Water, was never on my list of things to drink!

But, no one should enter a foreign nation without some information! And, since you have access to the internet, you and anyone else should have some basic warnings before you even depart!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2010 at 13:32
Cyrus, more pics!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2010 at 12:26
Yes more pics Cyrus.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2010 at 18:44
any pics? i want to see how india looks
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2010 at 02:55
Ok, some random pics from Delhi:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>