Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quran 33:50, what is your interpretation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quran 33:50, what is your interpretation?
    Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 11:03
http://quran.com/33

What do you think about it?

It is said the Quran is for all humanity and for all times, who are the modern prophets?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 19:19
It means just what it says, that is if you are a beliver, then you "must" follow "God" or "Allah" if you are to remain in his favor! This is a personal thing, and not a political thing!

Pbth, who would give up his life (but not take the lives of the innocent) to proclaim one's truths!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 22:55
No, it talks about women, not "God" or "Allah".
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 10:35
I think that Quran is quite a political book. It` more close to Manifesto than humane book with moral lecture. Оbviously Quran talking about two kind of human-believers (followers of the Prophet) and disbelievers (everybody else), not to all humanity. To disbelievers so called Allah (from this chapter) prepare punishment, battle, army of believers and such an aggressive things. This can`t be image of ultimate God, because this God take a side into political conflict. If this God would be create whole universe, then this is one imperfect God because he create one imperfect world (because of the disbelievers). Christian scholasticism have a formula: "God`s plans and deeds are unknown to human nature". In Quran everything is much more simplify and plain. It`s formula is: "Be afraid by Allah`s punishment and don`t ask too much!". I also can`t imagine Jesus to says something like:
"And Allah repelled those who disbelieved, in their rage, not having obtained any good. And sufficient was Allah for the believers in battle, and ever is Allah Powerful and Exalted in Might."

I focus your attention onto Muhammad`s person. It`s somelike taboo to muslims, but as an unbiased observer I can`t ignore several points:
1. He were a political leader from tyrannical type
2. He tоок power by strength
3. He eliminated physical his political opponents
4. He lead luxuriant live
5. He had pervert sexual taste (Aisha was six or seven years old when betrothed to Muhammad and ten years old when the marriage was consummated.)

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 18-Feb-2010 at 10:58
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

He had pervert sexual taste (Aisha was six or seven years old when betrothed to Muhammad and ten years old when the marriage was consummated.)
This is considered peverse by modern standards.  In Mohammad's time, marriage to a ten year old girl, while not quite the norm, was not unusual. Marriage at age 13 (betrothal at 11 or 12?) was acceptable in rural areas in the United States south during the 17th and 18th centuries. 

A closer study will reveal that seemingly perverse marriage ages remained common (to a degree) until the 1950s. For example, the American singer Loretta Lynn was married at age 13 (other sources say 15) in about 1944.  Even today, the U.S. state of New Hampshire permits marriage at the age 13. The minimum age in other states unstated.

I would not be suprised if a study of rural church records in Italy, Ireland, Poland, Russia etc.  revealed that marriage at the minimum age of say 12 (though not exactly encouraged) was culturally acceptable in rural areas until the early 1900s.

If marriage at age 12 was culturally acceptable, though not encouraged, in Europe during the 1800s, what was the acceptable marriage age or concubine age in AD 400s Europe?

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Feb-2010 at 13:25
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 13:23
Ok, it is better to say Muhammad was a normal human being, and probably the only prophet who has a believable character, he had no magical stick and he couldn't raise the dead, his religion has a name, namely Islam, and it didn't relate to a person or an ethnic group, like Christianity and Judaism, of course Muhammad was an Arab and Islam is based on the Arab culture, so especially about women it couldn't be better than this!
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Ok, it is better to say Muhammad was a normal human being, and probably the only prophet who has a believable character, he had no magical stick and he couldn't raise the dead
Well said.  And it could also be added that Muslims have never claimed that Mohammad was a sinless, divine personage (Jesus Christ in Christianity). Therefore, behaving with in cultural norms for marriage / sex, warfare etc. is perfectly reasonable for Muhammad.

and he couldn't raise the dead
Just out of curiosity, does the Koran or Hadith recognize Christ's miraculous abilities (raise dead, multiply food, calm storms etc.)?

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Feb-2010 at 13:50
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 14:28
Cryptic, I know well about this past standarts of marriage age. But often 13 years old girls have  process of puberty along with enough physical changes to do sex or to have children. It`s hard to say this about six or seven years old girls or ever ten. My close friend have daughter on 9 years and this is a child in every aspect. Of course we have curiosity ever right here in Bulgaria: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bulgarian+schoolgirl,+11,+gives+birth+on+her+wedding+day!-a0210966882
but Gypsies are a social group of people with very low standart of living (like Latino emigrants in US). From the other hand I`ll ask what is the age of Muhammad in the time of his marriage? Is this normal even to past standarts? Isn`t it lechery?

Cyrus, don`t understand me wrong. I`m not agree with realities of the most of miracles wrote about Christ in the Bible. This "miracles" were fabricate by Evangelists. But without this the person of Jesus were quite pure, kindly and humble. He lived modesty and died tragical. What will happen after death-no one knows. When we check this with way of live of Muhammad, the difference is well-seen. I don`t reproach Muhammad. He was completely ordinary man from this epoch but problems begin when this kind of people stand up a moral advisers and ideologists. The bad attitude of islam toward the womans is well-known. Role of household goods. This came from Arabian culture. Compare it with role of woman in Sassanid Iran and Europe from Muhammad`s time. Your great shah Yazdegerd III talking about this primitive attitude in his letter to Khalif Umar.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 14:51

Cryptic, I know well about this past standarts of marriage age. But often 13 years old girls have  process of puberty along with enough physical changes to do sex or to have children. It`s hard to say this about six or seven years old girls or ever ten.
I agree with the physical aspects. 

I am not saing that this was the average marriage, even in AD 500.  I am only illustrating that if we take a bell curve, Mohammad's marriage was easily with in the global cultural norms for his time.  As such, applying 20th century standards of perversion is unfair.

From the other hand I`ll ask what is the age of Muhammad in the time of his marriage? Is this normal even to past standarts? Isn`t it lechery?
Objectively, I dont think so. Even in the casual reading of archives, I have found examples of 13 years olds marrying 26 year olds in early 18th century Lousiana, USA.  I think Mohammad's age difference was well with in the bell curve for AD 500.  Especially when one considers Mohammads high status in the society and the acceptability very young marriages or political marriages.   

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Feb-2010 at 15:03
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 15:21

Mohammad were over 50 years old when he marry to Aisha. Interesting is that he were monogamous from age of 25 till 50. He had wife Khadijah bint Khuwaylid and after her death, he get married to Aisha and BTW another 9 woman. In the end of his live and on the top of his power he became polygamy. For me it`s a clear evidence about his fallen into lechery.    
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 18:55
I see the original topic has wandered somewhat! But, that it seems is normal!

Back to your original question, I.e. "Quran 33:50, what is your interpretation?"

I am sorry I did not read your question more closely the first time! But concerning "adopted" children, etc., the words closely resemble my thoughts concerning my "step children" whereby, I made no effort to "adopt them" since they both had living fathers, and I made every effort to make sure they knew and respected their natural fathers!

But, in every relationship sometimes the urge to be the "father" comes out, and the child tends to blend in with the rest of the family, but the prophet said that it is alright if the heart of a man is so, but God knows the truth!

Regards,

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 00:38
Originally posted by Cryptic

Just out of curiosity, does the Koran or Hadith recognize Christ's miraculous abilities (raise dead, multiply food, calm storms etc.)?
Muhammad was a merchant traveller and certainly knew many things about Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and even Buddhism, he wanted to attract the followers of these religion, so he couldn't deny the miracles of the previous prophets, for example about Jesus, we read in Quran: http://quran.com/3

3:49 And [make him] a messenger to the Children of Israel, [who will say], 'Indeed I have come to you with a sign from your Lord in that I design for you from clay [that which is] like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird by permission of Allah . And I cure the blind and the leper, and I give life to the dead - by permission of Allah . And I inform you of what you eat and what you store in your houses. Indeed in that is a sign for you, if you are believers.

and then says about Christians:

3:55-56 Allah said, "O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. ... And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

It repeats the same things in another Surat: http://quran.com/5 but Chirstians couldn't follow Muhammad after Jesus, if they considered Jesus and his mother as deities, so we read:

5:116 And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 15:24

In the end of his live and on the top of his power he became polygamy. For me it`s a clear evidence about his fallen into lechery.    

Practicing monogamy and then polygamy (wives or concubines) if one rose in social status was culturally acceptable amongst Arabs and was probably pretty common globally in AD 500.  I doubt that Islam would have beaten out Judaism, Christianity, Amnism and Zorastarianism amongst the Arabs had Mohammad been violating cultural norms regarding marriage.

A good example is Joseph Smith and Mormonism in the USA.  Joseph Smith did violate cultural marriage norms. The result was that most potential converts became alienated and Mormonism never grew beyond an isolated sect.

he wanted to attract the followers of these religion, so he couldn't deny the miracles of the previous prophets, for example about Jesus, we read in Quran: http://quran.com/3
Thanks for the information.  I think that it is very interesting that the writers of the Koran or Hadith (agnostic approach) never tried to "one up" the miraculous abilities of Christ by assigning even greater miracles to Mohammad. One would think that the pressure to do so would have been there.  
Originally posted by opuslola

I see the original topic has wandered somewhat! But, that it seems is normal!
Back to your original question.... 
Sorry for the digressionConfused.  I was hesitant to split the thread because some of the follow on posts were at least distantly linked to the original topic.

Please continue with your line of thoughtSmile.

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Feb-2010 at 15:36
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 17:58
Dear Cryptic, since this thread has already been distracted and since I seem unable to make any real logical sense of the specific verse, I did notice that you wrote;

"A good example is Joseph Smith and Mormonism in the USA. Joseph Smith did violate cultural marriage norms. The result was that most potential converts became alienated and Mormonism never grew beyond an isolated sect."

I would certainly argue that the "CJCLDS", which is my abbreviation for the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", is but an "Isolated sect!" Certainly in numbers this "sect" is not "Isolated" but an accepted part of most communities across the USA! They, in fact, actually control one state of the USA in particular!

No, it there is any "isolated sect" within the USA it is Mohammedanism! Now matter how great its power in the rest of the world, it is still basically "isolated" and more of a "sect" than most all of the Christian and Jewish thought within the USA!

Perhaps even Buddhism, Hinduism and Native American religion, have more supporters within the USA?

But, perhaps some people here might tend to argue this point?

If so, please do not expect me to participate!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 19-Feb-2010 at 18:03
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 22:33
Please back to the topic, I think that is an important ayat, it says we have permitted the Prophet to have relation with his wives and bondwomen ... and any woman (married or not) who bestows herself upon the Prophet and this one is exclusively for the Prophet and not for other believers!
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 03:56

[quote=Cryptic]

and then says about Christians:

3:55-56 Allah said, "O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. ... And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

This is a clear political device used by Muhammed into his well-planed expansion wars. He place in one table disbelievers (an enemy of believers and Allah) and Christians, and used deceived by his speech people against other people realize interests of him and his gang. In Islam term punishment is constantly apply to Christianity. Muhammad entrust duty to his follower to execute Allah`s will and to punish disbelievers (Christians). We see such a type of political devices used today in well-known formula`s like - "Imperial of Evil", "War on Terror",  "Shock and awe"... often against this Muslims.

It`s quite ironical when we are get listen to talking about Muhammad as a one of the great reformers of all time, and actually he didn`t succeed to violate cultural norms regarding marriage among Arabs. Something more- Muhammad himself make good an example to Arabs by his luxury way of life around under age wifes and concubines on top of his power.

Of course Muhammad used without making any effort bright ideas from old humanitarian religions, but due his own interest. Violence and constraint of putting his ideas in practice is his general outline.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 05:50
There is a story which has been been narrated in several Islamic sources:

"One day Muhammad the Prophet went to visit the house of his adopted son Zayd , but Zayd was not there. Muhammad saw Zayd's wife, Zainab, unveiled. Noticing the beauty of her body and sexuality, he was strongly attracted to her. He exclaimed, "Praised be God who changes men's hearts!". When Zayd returned to his house and saw them, Muhammad immediately said to him "I received a message from the God that it obliges you to divorce your wife for Islam". Zayd did it and Muhammad married Zainab!"

Quran 33:37 And [remember, O Muhammad], when you said to the one on whom Allah bestowed favor and you bestowed favor, "Keep your wife and fear Allah ," while you concealed within yourself that which Allah is to disclose. And you feared the people, while Allah has more right that you fear Him. So when Zayd had no longer any need for her, We married her to you in order that there not be upon the believers any discomfort concerning the wives of their adopted sons when they no longer have need of them. And ever is the command of Allah accomplished.

Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 06:11

Cyrus, thanx for the story. I hear it for the first time, but it`s very indicative. It seem to me like story of leader of american Judo-Christian sect "Branch Davidians"- David Koresh.  He behave to woman of his follower in same way.

"Up until then Koresh had been teaching that monogamy was the only way to live, but he suddenly announced that polygamy was allowed for him. In March 1986, Koresh first slept with Karen Doyle, aged 14.[5] He claimed her as his second wife. In August 1986, Koresh began secretly sleeping with Michele Jones, his wife's younger 12-year-old sister. In September 1986 Koresh began to preach that he was entitled to 140 wives, 60 women as his "queens" and 80 as concubines, which he based upon his interpretation of the Biblical Song of Solomon.[4] Koresh then built up an entirely new theology around his "marriage" to Doyle. This theology was called the "New Light," with a doctrine of polygamy for himself, which he called "The House of David." According to this doctrine, Doyle was supposed to have a daughter named Shoshanna who would then be married to Koresh's firstborn son Cyrus. However, Doyle failed to conceive, so Koresh then transferred his attention to his wife's sister. Former Davidian David Bunds said that Koresh's doctrine of polygamy "rose out of his deep desire to have sex with young girls. Once he was able to convince himself that it was God's will then he was able to be free of guilt and have sex with as many young girls as he could get his hands on."

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 20-Feb-2010 at 06:23
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 16:10
Follow on discussion regarding Mormonism's growth rate moved to:  Social sciences, Mormon Growth / retention.

Please back to the topic, I think that is an important ayat, it says we have permitted the Prophet to have relation with his wives and bondwomen ... and any woman (married or not) who bestows herself upon the Prophet and this one is exclusively for the Prophet and not for other believers!

Please continue with original topic (or at least closely related topicsWink)

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Feb-2010 at 16:48
ahmadkhan12 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ahmadkhan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2014 at 06:49
Quran is a book of hadith. and give us bundle of knowledge.
 Post Reply Post Reply