Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Macedonian village in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Macedonian village in Iran
    Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:37

People of this village are muslims and speak Persian but claim to be Macedonians, it can be possible because the recent discoveries in this village show that it was a large Macedonian city in the ancient times.

Eskandarabad (Built by Alexander) is a small village in Khuzestan province between the ancient cities of Susa and Persepolis and near the modern city of Masjed Soleiman.

Persian article: http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM

Temples of Athen Hipia (sp?) and Heracles

Macedonain horsemen who have Goddesses with themselves! (I can't understand what they are but it says they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks] because they have worn hats which are similar to French berets! Archaeologist have found several of them in the temples of Athen Hipia!)

Macedonian Goddess?

Statue of Heracles with a lion, Archaeological Museum of Susa

Macedonian hero, probably Heracles, British Museum

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 03:55
"Sikander" is the Indic version of the name "Alexander" and is how Alexander of Macedon is refered to in India.

So the name "Eskandarabad" as a Persian name for a city named after Alexander sounds about right....
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:54
Btw, what does the suffix 'abad' mean again? (I used to know but forgot)
'Devine abode' or something like that?
Arrrgh!!"
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:05
Abd means "construced". when it comes after a noun it becomes "construced by X"
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:48
Eh, way off.
OK, so for names like Ahmadabad and Allahabad and even Faisalabad makes sense. Islamabad was to be the new capital of the Newly created Ismalic Republic of Pakistan.
Hyder? (there are two of them AFAIK). Who was that?
Arrrgh!!"
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 02:28

The more interesting thing is that near this Macedonian village, there is a Roman village!

Queysarabad (built by Caesar) is also in Khuzestan province between cities of Dezful and Shushtar, we know that, as you can read here, After Shapur the First, the Sassanid King, conquered the Roman Emperor, commanded the Roman POWs to build a new town in a location that was 18 Kilometers South-East the present Dezful city.

About Shushtar: http://www.livius.org/a/iran/shusthar/shushtar.html (In fact, it is the most easterly building constructed by Romans.)

Roman Bridge:

Roman watermills:

Sika, A Roman pleasure ground:

Caesar Dam:

and the masterpiece of the Romans, wonderful waterfalls:

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 05:07

Originally posted by Cywr

Eh, way off.
OK, so for names like Ahmadabad and Allahabad and even Faisalabad makes sense. Islamabad was to be the new capital of the Newly created Ismalic Republic of Pakistan.
Hyder? (there are two of them AFAIK). Who was that?

Hyder is a name which means Lion i think

and there is Hyderabad in Pakistan and there is one in India

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:06

I read also that Kandahar in Afghanistan is supposed to be "Alexandar" as well, can someone confirm?

I'm not suprised though, numerous Afghan words are the same in Greek, Ex. Water-melon is called "Karpouz" in both parts of the world

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:41

they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks]

I am sure that in Eskandarabad  they will find inscriptions of the ancient Macedonian ( Slavic ) language....Will u post them too ???

Isk.

Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 20:55
interesting...
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 14:34
Originally posted by azimuth

Hyder is a name which means Lion i think

and there is Hyderabad in Pakistan and there is one in India

Not sure about the local languages, but in koine Greek (Alexander's language) Hyder may be related to "Yder" which (as far as I can recall) meant "water"

Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:20

Well, dear Shahmiri, Macedonians called that strange hat as "kausia" ( ) for it pretected them from sun hot rays. Ask eny Macedonian to tell you about this word.

Do you know anything about "Yauna Takabara" inscription found in Iran? I mean, do you know where is the stele sat ?

Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 03:50

"Yauna Takabara".....is this an example of the Macedonian language ???

As far as anyone knows the word "" is absolutely a Greek one...So  , according to Istor , Macedonias were speaking Greek , which makes them Greeks , not Navahos , or Slavs , or Finnish....

Interesting...

Isk.

P.S....The word  "" does not mean that it was protecting them from the hot sun-rays ....The word means "burned" coming from the word "" which means "burn"

So , the land was called "" because it was a very hot one...

That is to clarify the meaning of words.

Isk.

Edited by iskenderani
Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 06:34

Yauna Takabara

says the line in the list of European lands occupied by Persian King at -513. It means "Ionian whit a helmet like a buckler" in Persian. At that time the ONLY Ionian European people occupied by Persians were Macedonians. So, Macedonians were Yauna: Ionian: Greek.

http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html

Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 08:21

But , of course . By 513 B.C ( Before Christ ) all Asia Minor and northern Greece was occupied by Persians..

About 480 b.C they tried for the first time to occupy all of Greece , but eventually they failed...

But by this time , 513 B.C there were no Greek villages in Persia. So the village mentioned above , must be a result of Alexander's conquests...

Isk.

Edited by iskenderani
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 11:07
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Yauna Takabara

says the line in the list of European lands occupied by Persian King at -513. It means "Ionian whit a helmet like a buckler" in Persian. At that time the ONLY Ionian European people occupied by Persians were Macedonians. So, Macedonians were Yauna: Ionian: Greek.

http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html

From the link you gave....

# Darius proudly wrote in the inscription on his tomb at Naq-i Rustam that he had conquered the Yaun takabar, the 'Greeks with sun hats', a reference to the Macedonian headwear. #

The traditional Macedonian hat's name was "kausia" as someone said before,  which derives from the greek word "Καύσις", meaning burning or even heat.

The worth noticing from all these, is that Persians dont mention Macedonians in the catalogue of their subject people as distinct people, but they mention them as Yaun takabar, 'Greeks with sun hats'... therefore confirming Macedonians were Greek. Even Persians knew Macedonians were Greek.

Alexander of Macedon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 19:27

Very interesting,i've heard to that same vilage where the peoples claming that they are Macedonians(not greeks) exist and on the territory of Afghanistan.

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

People of this village are muslims and speak Persian but claim to be Macedonians, it can be possible because the recent discoveries in this village show that it was a large Macedonian city in the ancient times.

Eskandarabad (Built by Alexander) is a small village in Khuzestan province between the ancient cities of Susa and Persepolis and near the modern city of Masjed Soleiman.

Persian article: http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM

Temples of Athen Hipia (sp?) and Heracles

Macedonain horsemen who have Goddesses with themselves! (I can't understand what they are but it says they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks] because they have worn hats which are similar to French berets! Archaeologist have found several of them in the temples of Athen Hipia!)

Macedonian Goddess?

Statue of Heracles with a lion, Archaeological Museum of Susa

Macedonian hero, probably Heracles, British Museum

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 19:51
Very interesting,i've heard to that same vilage where the peoples claming that they are Macedonians(not greeks) exist and on the territory of Afghanistan.

You are refering to  the KALASH.
Sorry to break the news to you, but they do consider themselves as Hellines, decendants of Alexander's army.

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Alexander of Macedon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 20:10

I don't know i've never been there to speak with them but it's possible that the peoples of that village are decendants of the greeks who were in Macedonian Army(as a hostages) and settled in todays Afghanistan to don't uprise against Macedonia and Macedonians.

Originally posted by Phallanx

You are refering to  the KALASH.
Sorry to break the news to you, but they do consider themselves as Hellines, decendants of Alexander's army.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 20:44
(as a hostages)

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>