Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SNOW Up to My...........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SNOW Up to My...........
    Posted: 07-Feb-2010 at 11:15
Kneecaps! And considering that I'm 6'7" that is some serious snow. The official total is 28.5".  My measurement was a little higher at approx. 33".

Great News! The weather service just announced that we will get more on Wed.ConfusedTongue

TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2010 at 13:15
Yea, we got a bit of that Eastern snow over here int he Midwest but that was on Friday, its mostly melting now again.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 06:05
Nothing is melting here.  Last nite the temp. went down to 13 F. and the weather service is calling for an additional 20" on wed.  TGS, you'll probably get some of it from the system in the North.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 10:02
Yea, I think we're supposed to be getting 8 inches either tomorrow or Wednesday.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 17:49
Please make any complaints to Al Gore, at "Global Warming is a man made event".com!" Yes I do know that there exists a real word for "man made global warming!"

But, just how many of you have ever been on old Al's front steps?

Just imagine how deep this snow might have been without man's warming intercessions? chuckle!

Perhaps next the Thames might freeze over, or the Potomac?, or even the Ohio?

But, just how worse would it be if man had not warmed the world?

Perhaps we have done the Earth a good deed?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 21:21
Global Climate Change is more accurate.  Have your fun, Fact- for the first time in recorded history, Greenland is now able to grow short to mid season vegetables in quantities that allows them to export. 

I could go on for a page and a half, but you really don't give a damn, do you?  You don't have any sound observational science of your own, so you just are attacking without reason or support, other than some warped sense of conspiracy.
Man made?  Should the North Atlantic Circulation be interrupted, it won't matter if it's man made or a  naturally occurring event.  I don't believe it's man made at all,  but I do know a change is taking place. 
When are folks going to wake up? Forget about the Thames, we're talking hell freezing territory. 

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 09:04
Global warming causes extreme weather conditions. If you even attempted to do some research you would know that. This means cold winters (although shorter/longer in different parts of the world, colder/warmer in some parts of the world)....

but overall the general trend is that the planet is heating up. Opuslola, do you know that it only takes a couple degrees of change for us to irreversible damage this planet?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 10:21
I agree Redclay! A more correct wording might be best described by your wording, "Global Climate Change!", which is, it seems, the natural course for the world! And there cannot be any argument with the previous words, which again I repeat the word "natural!"

What I hate to read, are the "dire" warnings that appear in both print and in spoken form, of catastrophic changes, or like TGS said "irreversible" changes!

The use of words like those above are not "fact" but "speculation" and based upon the accuracy of the data that is fed into certain "SuperComputers", which then spit out some "possibities!" Note that the key word there is "possibilities!"

And, speaking about "possibilites", I recently read somewhere that Meteorological reports from Russia and other places was not a part of the latest warnings from England, etc.!

If indeed the above is true, then it seems more clear that the absence of this data, would necessarily induce a result closely related to the old proverb "Junk in, junk out", although I don't think "junk" was the most correct word for me to use? It would be thought that information from the largest country on the planet, might well induce some changes in future predictions? As I said, I cannot remember the source of the above, nor can I state that any of it is even true! So, it can be taken for whatever it is worth, which might well be "nothing!"

And, yes TGS, I do recognize that these shouts of "disaster", have not precluded a "new Ice Age!" Heck, you must cover all of the bases!

And, while not exactly "alarming data" please read this?

Glaciers that are actually growing right now!

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/12-more-glaciers-that-havent-heard-the-news-about-global-warming

As for myself, I look with interest at the sea level just about 1,500 metres from my front yard, and with interest a mere 5 to 8 metre rise would make my house a "beach front" home! My property value would, (like power rates if we adopt Obama's "cap and trade" plan)"Skyrocket!" Wow!

And, just for fun, can we suppose (fictional) that turning the clock back, that there has been developed on this planet, as scientific communnity of comparable degree with our present one, a human race scattered across the world, that has grown and prospered during a period of the past, whereby almost all glaciers had either disappeared or mostly disappeared for many generations, or maybe only for 500 to 600 years, and suddenly these scientists discovered that over 12 of the remaining 20 glaciers on the planet were beginning to grow? After all by then many great cities (and nations) had been founded upon the limits of the sea level that is much higher than today's. Maybe 50 to 100 meters or more?

Upon what scientific data would they have based their predictions upon? You have to assume that they knew that over 600 years in the past, large glaciers were most everywhere on the planet. Thus the possibility that these hundreds or thousands of glaciers might again take up fresh water resources from the planet and suspend them in ice, and thus render all of the port cities of the planet suspended well inland. That vast areas of the Earth would lose their estuaries and large areas on the continental shelves would be again exposed, etc. The vast farmlands in Canada and Siberia would freeze over! etc.

Would the vast amount of scientific minds of those times rejoice? Would they or the vast number of people well set in their ways also rejoice? Or, would they be afraid?

What would these scientists shout as a warning to the world? Or would they shout "Hoo Rah?", and welcome the change?

You see my friends, the above events have already happened, but the difference is that there was no Al Gore around then shouting "End of the World!"

By the way the source for Redclay's Greenland information can be found here;

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,434356,00.html

A "Return to the Middle Ages?" See here; http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090426025131AAHmuNn

Independence for Greenland! Remove the shackles of the Mother Country!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/magazine/27wwln-phenom-t.html

See behind every bad report, there is sometimes a "silver lining!"

Could the development of genetic enginered potatoes (see I spell like one of our past V. Presidents!) have anything to do with the rising production of them in Greenland?

Also, somewhere I have also read that most of the Greenland Ice cap is already "displacing water!" If this is true then the melting of it would not necessarily create a rise of 7 to 8 meters? Sorry I cannot give you the source for the above! But, all of the information I can now find disputes this. If it were so, then the 3,000 meter high ice cap would also go 9,000 meters into the ocean! OK! I will call this a no brainer! My fault.

By the way do either of you support Atomic Energy? It seems to me to be the most effective way to replace our coal technology! Other wise I might well be "tilting at windmills?" ("tilting" means "jousting", not tipping them over!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_at_windmills

By the way Redclay, you wrote;

"When are folks going to wake up? Forget about the Thames, we're talking hell freezing territory."

Hey Guy! Haven't you heard? Hell has frozen over! The Saints just won the Super Bowl! Laugh!

En garde!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 09-Feb-2010 at 15:12
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2010 at 12:10
For those of you that would rather read something other than nonsense:

Another Blizzard: What Happened to Global Warming?

As the blizzard-bound residents of the mid-Atlantic region get ready to dig themselves out of the third major storm of the season, they may stop to wonder two things: Why haven't we bothered to invest in a snow blower, and what happened to climate change? After all, it stands to reason that if the world is getting warmer — and the past decade was the hottest on record — major snowstorms should become a thing of the past, like PalmPilots and majority rule in the Senate. Certainly that's what the Virginia state Republican Party thinks: the GOP aired an ad last weekend that attacked two Democratic members of Congress for supporting the 2009 carbon-cap-and-trade bill, using the recent storms to cast doubt on global warming. (See pictures of the massive blizzard in Washington, D.C.)

Brace yourselves now — this may be a case of politicians twisting the facts. There is some evidence that climate change could in fact make such massive snowstorms more common, even as the world continues to warm. As the meteorologist Jeff Masters points out in his excellent blog at Weather Underground, the two major storms that hit Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., this winter — in December and during the first weekend of February — are already among the 10 heaviest snowfalls those cities have ever recorded. The chance of that happening in the same winter is incredibly unlikely.

But there have been hints that it was coming. The 2009 U.S. Climate Impacts Report found that large-scale cold-weather storm systems have gradually tracked to the north in the U.S. over the past 50 years. While the frequency of storms in the middle latitudes has decreased as the climate has warmed, the intensity of those storms has increased. That's in part because of global warming — hotter air can hold more moisture, so when a storm gathers it can unleash massive amounts of snow. Colder air, by contrast, is drier; if we were in a truly vicious cold snap, like the one that occurred over much of the East Coast during parts of January, we would be unlikely to see heavy snowfall. (See pictures of the effects of global warming.)

Climate models also suggest that while global warming may not make hurricanes more common, it could well intensify the storms that do occur and make them more destructive. (Comment on this story.)

But as far as winter storms go, shouldn't climate change make it too warm for snow to fall? Eventually that is likely to happen — but probably not for a while. In the meantime, warmer air could be supercharged with moisture and, as long as the temperature remains below 32°F, it will result in blizzards rather than drenching winter rainstorms. And while the mid-Atlantic has borne the brunt of the snowfall so far this winter, areas near lakes may get hit even worse. As global temperatures have risen, the winter ice cover over the Great Lakes has shrunk, which has led to even more moisture in the atmosphere and more snow in the already hard-hit Great Lakes region, according to a 2003 study in the Journal of Climate. (Read "Climate Accord Suggests a Global Will, if Not a Way.")

Ultimately, however, it's a mistake to use any one storm — or even a season's worth of storms — to disprove climate change (or to prove it; some environmentalists have wrongly tied the lack of snow in Vancouver, the site of the Winter Olympic Games, which begin this week, to global warming). Weather is what will happen next weekend; climate is what will happen over the next decades and centuries. And while our ability to predict the former has become reasonably reliable, scientists are still a long way from being able to make accurate projections about the future of the global climate. Of course, that doesn't help you much when you're trying to locate your car under a foot of powder.

Update: Its extremely cold here but it has stopped snowing. We got a lot more snow on Monday and Tuesday but the sun is out again and its starting to slowly melt.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 10-Feb-2010 at 12:15
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2010 at 13:18
It's good to hear someone has sun.Big smile

A really good post TGS.  To underline the expectation that the intensity of storms will increase, the storm that is presently whooping up on us is a "Nor Easter".  This kind of storm normally has a slow and wide circulation.  They are calling for it to have hurricane force winds this evening as the circulation is almost at Hurricane specs.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2010 at 14:07
Thaks for the next material!

Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

For those of you that would rather read something other than nonsense:
<h1>Another Blizzard: What Happened to Global Warming?</h1>

As the blizzard-bound residents of the mid-Atlantic region get ready
to dig themselves out of the third major storm of the season, they may
stop to wonder two things: Why haven't we bothered to invest in a snow
blower, and what happened to climate change? After all, it stands to
reason that if the world is getting warmer — and the past decade was
the hottest on record — major snowstorms should become a thing of the
past, like PalmPilots and majority rule in the Senate. Certainly that's
what the Virginia state Republican Party thinks: the GOP aired an ad
last weekend that attacked two Democratic members of Congress for
supporting the 2009 carbon-cap-and-trade bill, using the recent storms
to cast doubt on global warming.

<span>(See pictures of the massive blizzard in Washington, D.C.)</span>

Brace yourselves now — this may be a case of politicians twisting
the facts.
There is some evidence that climate change could in fact
make such massive snowstorms more common, even as the world continues
to warm.
As the meteorologist Jeff Masters points out in his excellent blog
at Weather Underground, the two major storms that hit Philadelphia,
Baltimore and Washington, D.C., this winter — in December and during
the first weekend of February — are already among the 10 heaviest
snowfalls those cities have ever recorded. The chance of that happening
in the same winter is incredibly unlikely.

But there have been hints that it was coming. The 2009 U.S. Climate
Impacts Report found that large-scale cold-weather storm systems have
gradually tracked to the north in the U.S. over the past 50 years.
While the frequency of storms in the middle latitudes has decreased as
the climate has warmed, the intensity of those storms has increased.
That's in part because of global warming — hotter air can hold more
moisture, so when a storm gathers it can unleash massive amounts of
snow. Colder air, by contrast, is drier; if we were in a truly vicious
cold snap, like the one that occurred over much of the East Coast
during parts of January, we would be unlikely to see heavy snowfall.

<span>(See pictures of the effects of global warming.)</span>

Climate models also suggest that while global warming may not make hurricanes more common, it could well intensify the storms that do occur and make them more destructive.
<span>(Comment on this story.)</span>

But as far as winter storms go, shouldn't climate change make it too
warm for snow to fall?
Eventually that is likely to happen — but
probably not for a while.
In the meantime, warmer air could be
supercharged with moisture and, as long as the temperature remains
below 32°F, it will result in blizzards rather than drenching winter
rainstorms.
And while the mid-Atlantic has borne the brunt of the
snowfall so far this winter, areas near lakes may get hit even worse.
As global temperatures have risen, the winter ice cover over the Great
Lakes has shrunk, which has led to even more moisture in the atmosphere
and more snow in the already hard-hit Great Lakes region, according to
a 2003 study in the Journal of Climate.

<span>(Read "Climate Accord Suggests a Global Will, if Not a Way.")</span>

Ultimately, however, it's a mistake to use any one storm — or even a
season's worth of storms — to disprove climate change (or to prove it;
some environmentalists have wrongly tied the lack of snow in Vancouver,
the site of the Winter Olympic Games, which begin this week, to global
warming). Weather is what will happen next weekend; climate is what
will happen over the next decades and centuries. And while our ability
to predict the former has become reasonably reliable, scientists are
still a long way from being able to make accurate projections about the
future of the global climate. Of course, that doesn't help you much
when you're trying to locate your car under a foot of powder.

<div id="Tixyy" style="border: medium none ; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1962294,00.html?xid=rss-topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29#ixzz0fAKEw6Og
Update: Its extremely cold here but it has stopped snowing. We got a lot more snow on Monday and Tuesday but the sun is out again and its starting to slowly melt.

Thanks for the good article! Indeed what you say is most likely correct! That is, at least this part of it; "Weather is what will happen next weekend; climate is what
will happen over the next decades and centuries. And while our ability
to predict the former has become reasonably reliable, scientists are
still a long way from being able to make accurate projections about the
future of the global climate. Of course, that doesn't help you much
when you're trying to locate your car under a foot of powder."

Yes, but the above reservation has not stopped the Al Gore group from making unverifiable predictions concerning the future, nor has it seems has it prevented you from doing so also! Or rather you left these words in the article without comment; "But as far as winter storms go, shouldn't climate change make it too warm for snow to fall? Eventually that is likely to happen — but probably not for a while."

Yes, accurate projections concerning the future of the global climate are indeed hard to predict! If you are old enough you might well remember the great splurge of articles back in the late 1960's or early 1970's, where mankind was told that we could expect the "next Ice Age" by the year 2000 or so! Yes, I guess we can really expect such a thing to happen now?

Heck, there are many glaciers that are growing! You saw the site above! Just think what could happen if this warmer, water rich air, moves over the rest of the glaciers on the planet?

Yes, there is no doubt, Global Warming might well create a new Ice Age!
I will just take the next quote from your source; "Eventually that is likely to happen — but probably not for a while."

Oh! By the way, the article quoted above was written by Brian Walsh! Mr. Walsh is, like all of TGS's sources, not tied to any political agenda, but is a "neutral" source, much like the sources he expects those of us who do not support many of TGS' views to use. But, here is a little article about the author "Brian Walsh!"

http://bobmccarty.com/2008/07/18/time-ignores-50000-scientists-sucks-up-to-gore/

And the first words from the above "neutral" source, says this;

“'To those who say 10 years is not enough time, I respectfully ask them to consider what the world’s scientists are telling us about the risks we face if we don’t act in 10 years.'” — Al Gore

The Al Gore quote above appeared in a Bryan Walsh effort, Gore’s Bold Plan to Save the Planet, published today in TIME.

After reading the article and the front-page teaser photo shown beneath the word “Analysis” (below), I was forced to conclude that none of the people involved in the article — not Gore, the writer or the magazine’s top executives — share any commitment to honest and objective journalism, especially when it comes to the subject of global warming.*"

TGS, do you not remember the words you recently used? I.e.

"Originally posted by eaglecap

I will try and tackle this step by step but what is the use you if ingnore the facts.

Lets see, I am ignoring the facts? What "facts" did you post? I have yet to see a single fact. And please, if you want to bring up facts, use NEUTRAL RELIABLE THIRD PARTY SOURCES.

No more Savage or Baptist News or whatever..."

TGS, do you really think your source is any less rabid, or out of step with anything "neutral", or that he is and has been a "supporter of one point of view E.G. Al Gore's, than any source we have used?

Again, please use "neutral" sources, if you can find one?

Funny, I have to both give my sources but also TGS' source!
Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 11-Feb-2010 at 14:19
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2010 at 10:40
 Taking back my hijacked thread.Big smile

We had a snowfall total of 44.3" in 5 days.  And the weather service is calling for 6-10 on Monday. Thank You El Nino.
  A normal winter's total is usually 18-24". 

Post Reply Post Reply