Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

City of Harireh in Kish Island

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City of Harireh in Kish Island
    Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 21:40
Not an ancient site?!!!  just because some materials have been used to preserve the ancient walls? I believe Kariz of Kish island is one of the least changed ancient sites in the world, mostly because it is under the ground and is located in an Island, so couldn't be destroyed easily.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 15:01
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

TheGreatSimba, the second one is in fact a wonderful Kariz, not really an underground city, so there was no reason that any other thing was built because people didn't live there but in Shabestans.

So its not an ancient site, it was created for tourism purposes?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 06:21

You mentioned some good points, the fact is that the people of southern Iran had to be civilized thousands years ago because they lived near a region where the first civilizations were formed but the difference was that the people of those regions lived in the fertile lands in southwestern Iran and Mesopotamia but these people lived in the deserts of southern Iran without any river and other advantages of fertile lands.

I think if they lived in the further regions, like the Arabian peninsula, they would prefer to live a nomadic life in the desert:

But these people built large cities in the desers and lived there, how? Imagine you want to live in a hot desert with no modern air cooler, refrigerator, ... and more important "no water"!!

140 meters high Pyramids of ancient Egypt are considered as a wonder of the world, but what about 360 meters in depth and 45 kilometers long tunnel of ancient Gonabad Kariz?

For example do you know how people have lived for thousands years in Meybod?

City of Meybod:

A general view, thanks to Google Map:

You know the system:

kangarooistan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 01:56
All ancient history is equally important , I look at it as one giant picture and as we find and identify then place every piece in its proper time and place , it helps every other person see their position more clearly , sort of like a giant Jig saw puzzel  every piece needs to be placed in its exact right position and even a small piece on the far side of the picture helps  clarify the BIG picture

I really enjoy nature , and the ancient man made features , they are all important and beautiful
Many ancient civilizations are " lost " under the sands of time , Where I live the oldest standing man made  structure is dated 1844 and in australia no building is over 220 yrs old , 1788

I can only IMAGINE , with awe the pride of standing and looking at your ancestors buildings from 2000 BC
I really laugh when I hear yanks tell Iran how to run their country , like my toddler grandson telling me how to drive the car while he sits in the back seat with a toy steering wheel shouting orders at me , with his crash helmet and goggles and superman suit on

Australia IS a beautiful country with an ancient peoples , but living well OFF the trade routes missed out on much shared knowledge , but also missed many wars too , its a beautiful country but the artifacts are very basic by any standard , naturally I am very proud of what we do have , sadly even that is still treated very badly by some white people who seem to prefer to wipe the history away ASAP

We must ALL try hard to protect what ever we can where ever we can for those who may wish to see it in 2000 years time

The more people who see the more respect it all gets

i have been impressed with what I have seen Iran doing in the last 30 years since we were able to get newspapers from there , Kahan int , was available via Canberra 30 odd years ago  , I met a Muslim Man who spoke no english at all , we shared a evening meal and got a few family snaps , and he showed me some from his family and his home of wich he was justifiably proud  , now its real easy online to watch Iran  blossoming AGAIN its great stuff , but STILL it does still take time and effort , I do appreciate those who kindly help by sharing qualitysnaps like you do

I can recall waiting to get a weekly newspaper in the mail weeks late to see whats new in small black and white newspaper pics , and grandpa visiting the city once a year to see if anything important had happened most years , so he could tell his friwnds who lived further out in the deserts , we can all now share in seconds what for ten thousand years has been simply unheard of  , and look back up to 10,000 years  at the same time

it is AMAZING stuff mate  , I dont have the skill nor hardware to produce quality uploads like yours , and never will , Im a grateful  online user , not a creator of real qualty stuff , cut and paste is all I can manage , and Im not sure if a PIC can capture the  real beauty seen in vast deserts that I find beautiful , and much of documented history is not so pretty in australia past mate
kanga
=====
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 22:10

TheGreatSimba, the second one is in fact a wonderful Kariz, not really an underground city, so there was no reason that any other thing was built because people didn't live there but in Shabestans.

Kangarooistan, thanks for your kind words, but I think the ancient history of Iran is well enough known, mostly because its recorded history, and people are more interested to know about your mysterious land of kangaroo.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 18:12
Nearly all ancient sites need reconstruction , it is possible to get it fairly accurate , like they do when reconstructing Dinosaurs , often from a few bones they CAN reconstruct the entire animal based on other evidence from other sites , it happens all the time  , Even some modern buildings and art is restored to original and STILL claimed to be original even when vast amounts of the original articles have been re touched / repainted / restored , I note many ancient Australian Aboriginal art is repainted every so often and very often was for thousands of years  , the many layers of repainting can be seen in cross section under microscopes , the outer layers we see are often quite recent ,  the lower once thousands of years old , Clearly Iran has a REAL treasure on their hands and THEY will care for their heritage faithfully , they have no need to "fabricate" or "manipulate"  their heritage ,  its well know they are an ancient world superpower , and can proudly  hold their heads high with justifiable pride, restoring it is really GREAT to see , thank GOD they at least are trying their best , I WILL indeed look forward to watching these AMAZING sites with much pleasure , Im now too old to visit , but I do enjoy seeing the ancient worlds finally being valued more every year , ITS GREAT  many many thanks for the nice clear pics mate , they are very very well laid out too , Im grateful for your efforts AND the peoples of Iran for preserving the pages of history for us all to enjoy , and hopefully we can all repay our debts by doing the same for the peoples of Iran by honoring and preserving OUR ancient Histories as well as they do in Iran, it is NOT easy and it can cost heaps and its not always a profitable exercise from a commercial POV, the peoples of Iran are paying for the work and are to be given credit for their efforts considering they have many other things they could use the money for , lets all hope tourism can help repay some of their efforts and expenses as this will help fund ever more preservation

kanga
=====
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 12:08
I mean the underground city. The one above ground is pretty authentic looking but the underground city looks so fake! I feel like in the attempt to renovate the site, they went a bit too far to the point where it looks fake....i dunno though, that might just be my opinion. It certainly was nice and very cool compared to the heat above ground.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 08-Feb-2010 at 12:10
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 11:13
Which one do you mean? Harireh or Kariz?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 10:13
Cyrus, I visited that city a few years ago, but I do not remember if the entire thing is authentic or just part of it?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2010 at 05:28

You are welcome! Smile

Of course the greatest thing in Kish Island is certainly that famous 2,500 years old underground city: http://www.allempires.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1599

More photos:

Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2010 at 15:02
Looks fascinating , great pics , and wonderful to see ever more ancient sites being re discovered in Iran , and the region generally , it all helps add to the ever bigger picture ,  as trade routes are connected and language transfer and trade can  all add to the ever growing body of historic knowledge , every new site discovered helps all other site become  ever more clearer ,  as the big  world wide picture unfolds it gets easier and easier to join the dots between civilizations over the distant past , many thanks for you fine post
kanga
=====
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2010 at 22:52

You have proabbly heard about the story of Sinbad the Sailor and other stories in One Thousand and One Nights, Harireh was one of the major cities from the period of these stores in the 8th century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harireh several travellers and historians, like Venetian traveller Marco Polo, Moroccan traveller Ibn Battuta, Persian traveller and poet Sa'di, ... have talked about this important trade city in the Middle Ages.

Post Reply Post Reply