Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vikings and the Rus in the south of Caspian sea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vikings and the Rus in the south of Caspian sea
    Posted: 10-Jan-2010 at 11:56

This is a bowl with the design of a ship and Kufic inscription from the early 10th century which has been found in Neyshabur in northeastern Iran:

There are some other similar bowls from this region and this period, however Neyshabur is far from the sea, anyway I think they can be related to "Caspian expeditions of the Rus":

The Caspian expeditions of the Rus were military raids undertaken by the Rus between 864 and 1041 on the Caspian Sea shores.[1] Initially, the Rus appeared in Serkland in the 9th century traveling as merchants along the Volga trade route, selling furs, honey, and slaves. The first small-scale raids took place in the late 9th and early 10th century. The Rus undertook the first large-scale expedition in 913; having arrived on 500 ships, they pillaged Gorgan, in the territory of present day Iran, and the adjacent areas, taking slaves and goods.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 27-Mar-2011 at 10:59
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2010 at 15:32
Just for information, I have connected the name or word "Ros", potentially with "Roche", and "Rock!" It seems that "Rus" is connected to "Ros", at least! "Rock" is also connected to "Peter" and thus to its many variants, such as Petar", etc.!

Thus it appears the Biblical words "upon this rock", etc., might well have alternative meanings?
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2010 at 05:39
Do you know the princess Roxana, the Bactrian wife of Alexander? And do you know about Roxolani (Rox Alani) people? You can read here about etymologies of the name Rus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus_(name) as you read there are Normanist and Anti-Normanist theories on the origins of Rus, and it seems Russians themselves believe in an Iranian/Alani origin.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2010 at 19:37
As I understand it, the "Normanist" view has been about totally overturned in the former Soviet Union? But, perhaps I am speaking without researching?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
REKHTA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote REKHTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 00:54
as far as i know the vikings were the nobility of the russians. i think  the term varangian is used. the russian slavic state in the moscow area emerged in an area already settled by finns...hence the mari and estonians etc etc.
germanic intrusion occurred by way of the baltic sea...the swedes were to rule finns proper and pomerania. the germans proper came much later into prussia and latvia.

regarding a rus invasion of persia... i guess it makes sense thoughis there documented proof. i am not sure of the time frame but i am pretty certain that the khazars would be controlling the southern gateway to arab lands, persia etc.
i do know that the arabs did trade with the Rus.
the scythian, sogdian, sarmatian , alani, ossette saga remains an enigma to me. what is definite is that the alani = the ossettes. some of their people did end up in north africa and i think hungary.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 08:42
Have you heard of Ibn Fadlan's writings on the Rus? A maid would bring a bowl of water to the men. The first one would wash his face and blow his nose into the water then pass it on to the next man who did the same thing
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 23:49

Lol, I remember that from the movie, the 13th warrior. But they were probably cleaner than we think. Another Muslim traveler, Ibn Rustah, who travelled to the lands of the Rus, had a better opinion of them:

"They carry clean clothes and the men adorn themselves with bracelets and gold. They treat their slaves well and also they carry exquisite clothes, because they put great effort in trade. They have many towns. They have a most friendly attitude towards foreigners and strangers who seek refuge."
Pellaeon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pellaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 00:01
I have been meaning to read more on the Rus. Interesting subject :)
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2011 at 11:24
Russians say that "Rus" origin is female noun with meaning "blond"!Accidental their new rocket carrier
program was called "Rus-M",there i found this data.  
 Post Reply Post Reply