Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Of what Religion are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: What Religion are you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [10.39%]
27 [17.53%]
19 [12.34%]
14 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [5.19%]
7 [4.55%]
1 [0.65%]
51 [33.12%]
11 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Of what Religion are you?
    Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 19:46
Originally posted by MengTzu

Originally posted by Tobodai

Im glad no one picked Shinto, proto facist heap of quaint folksiness that it is.

How's Shintoism fascist?

it didnt use to be, it is now, it was modified with public consent by the government in the early 20th century to serve as a nation unifying force.  Belief that Japan is sacred and the holy land of sorts and the divinity of the emperor and the Japanese people have been worked into Shtinoism, they have never been removed since then.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 20:04
Another vote for the agnostic camp. Although, I don't take any chances and offer hecatombs to Zeus from time to time.  In Vatican one has to be very discreet about these things, of course. 
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 20:36

Originally posted by Emile Boutros

I am Antiochian Greek Orthodox Christian.

Hey, whats the difference between this and a regular Greek Orthodox Christian?

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 21:50

Note: there's virtually no such thing as a Confucian organized religion, with the exception of the Confucian Church of Indonesia (a recent creation, probably by Chinese Indonesians, in reaction to the Indonesian laws that one must worship God.) 

Whoa..kinky..who do they actually worship?

I got my religion from my mum..

My great grandpa and his family were like shamanistic and my grandmum and the rest of the family were Protestants...

Then when Great Granddad died, he made Grandma promise to become Roman Catholic..

So I'm a Roman Catholic..go figure..

I'm not really hard core though...

I tend to look at Confucianism and Buddhism as good idealogies to live by though.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 23:16

confucianism is not really a religion. it's a tradition and philosophy. it is nothign supernatural. most chinese hold confucian values including myself.

u can be a christian and still hold confucian values.

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 02:28
I am a Muslim Turk. I do not belong to any Sunni or Sia sect of the Islam but closer to Alevi understanding.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 04:17

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Note: there's virtually no such thing as a Confucian organized religion, with the exception of the Confucian Church of Indonesia (a recent creation, probably by Chinese Indonesians, in reaction to the Indonesian laws that one must worship God.) 

Tian (Heaven.)  They equate the traditional Heaven of Confucianism with Allah.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 04:19
Originally posted by coolstorm

confucianism is not really a religion. it's a tradition and philosophy. it is nothign supernatural. most chinese hold confucian values including myself.

I would just refrain from insisting on categorizing Confucianism. Confucianism has religious aspects as well as philosophical aspects.  For example, see Yi Li for the elaborate religious rituals of Confucianism.  It's difficult to thus call Confucianism a "religion," however.  It is just not wise to place it in the framework of Western categorization.

u can be a christian and still hold confucian values.

That's true, but you can also hold Taoist values and be Buddhist, and if you don't care how your priest or pastor think, you can be a Christian and be Buddhist (I think some liberal Christians practice Buddhism.)  So the fact that you can be a Christian and Confucian doesn't prove that Confucianism isn't a religion.  With that said, it is not clear if any Eastern religion can be called "religion" because of their looseness of organization.  Confucianism, in particular, is very lacking in organization after the collapse of the dynastic eras.

Edited by MengTzu
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 17:43
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Le Renard

I just had this come to me for the poll it could be:  Christain, Buddism, Hinduism, Islam, Athiest, Tribel Religion, Judiasm, Confuscian, just to cover the basics.  Everyone falls under one of those catagories, jus to make it simpiler

Out of interest where in those categories would Rastafarian, Baahi, Taoism, Animism, Satanism, Scientology and Jedi fit.

I must have missed some

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 18:44

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Tian (Heaven.)  They equate the traditional Heaven of Confucianism with Allah.

That's pretty cool..
Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 21:30

"Hey, whats the difference between this and a regular Greek Orthodox Christian?"

We are in communion with the "normal" Greek church I believe, but we have our own patriarch and we are mostly Arab and most services/liturgy are in Arabic. There is usually Greek liturgy as well and this is most common but Arabic is increasing. Lots of the clergy are Greek as well. Most of the members are Arab though. We are mostly very similar though. We are under the patriarchateof Antioch, His Beatitude Ignatius IV is patriarch now.

'Nowadays, the chemas-microsoft-comfficemarttags" />lace>Antiochlace> see includes the republics of lace>Syrialace> and lace>Lebanonlace>, as well as lace>Iraqlace>, the lace>Arabian peninsulalace>, parts of turkey, and the expatriate Antioch Orthodox communities in North and lace>Latin Americalace>, lace>Australialace> and lace>Europelace>."chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

> >

>> 

http://antiochpat.org/english/sitefiles/viewcontent.php?cont ent=%241%24Fqww80sV%24LJtl/mpIsne5lz0mZ5kCy0_%241%24cY2fEC.3 %242X4rjsf3DqIjEbC53bz6R/_%241%24Fqww80sV%24LJtl/mpIsne5lz0m Z5kCy0b56a92baa0ee987eb7f7e4a179b60efb&id=1&cat=%241 %24DdKoSQCb%24FO96gT8jCFwnHPxW4LNZj1_%241%24pCxQHS8F%24GHaBW 0fpsqpxYoSn4BE0M/_%241%24DdKoSQCb%24FO96gT8jCFwnHPxW4LNZj150 102e124822220aaa78a8e3b2ccba34&catid=3&contentname=H istorical%20Overview&catname=Other%20Contents  

^ that is the history from the patriarch website (in the English there is also Arabic)

http://www.antiochpat.org/ 

I hope that helps.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 21:50
Yes it does, thank you.
Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 21:56
The pasting was messed up, but no problem! Are you Orthodox as well?
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 21:58
Yes, Greek Orthodox. Thats why I asked..
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 19:01
I am Greek Orthodox Christian.
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 10:18
Armenian Apostolic Christian.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 12:15
I am Turkish Alevi Muslim.

Edited by Oguzoglu
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 13:40

Atheist. Religion is a revolting combination of primitive superstition and opium fuers volk.

Why do we atheists get lumped together with those agnostic wimps?

Halleluyah comrade!

Maybe this is because as the Germans say, 'agnostic is a polite way of saying atheist'. 'Deist' is even politer, if you ask me.  Anyway, for those lovers of philosophical purity (by the way, hello again Colchis, nice to read you again), if you really are that picky, you should know that it is impossible to know anything %100 sure, due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Yet we are quite sure of many things. For me, the idea of a hairy man floating in space, capable of everything yet somehow undetectable, (modify this for specific religion) is pretty damn impossible, if the word impossible has any meaning at all. 

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 16:36
Yeah!  It is impossible for a "hairy man floating in space, capable of everything..."  I hope you had a more sophisticated understanding or symbolism of God.
ArmenianSurvival2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ArmenianSurvival2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 11:24

You forgot Pagan. You're probably thinking its a dead religion but theres plenty of pagans out there, i actually know someone who is a pagan.

And its kind of wierd combining Atheists and Agnostics. Agnosticism holds the belief of a god but with the knowledge that he is too ever-knowing for us to know anything about him, and Atheism is belief in no gods. Completely different.

I was born Armenian Apostolic Christian. Now, i dont even know what i am, lol. I cant buy into any religions, they make no sense to me. Religion is only there because people want an answer to the unknown and some are afraid that after death there is just nothingness. And some actually just do believe for some reason or another. Dont know, dont care, im happy when im not involved.

Actually, believe in the Sun, because i can actually see it. It never tells me im a bad person, and it gives me everything i need...heat, light, makes the plants grow. But i dont worship the sun. I worship Joe Pesci. For years i was bothered by my noisy neighbor, and i prayed to God to have him do something about it. Joe Pesci straightened out that punk in one visit. Its amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>