Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Of what Religion are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: What Religion are you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [10.39%]
27 [17.53%]
19 [12.34%]
14 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [5.19%]
7 [4.55%]
1 [0.65%]
51 [33.12%]
11 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Of what Religion are you?
    Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 16:51
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Cywr

And Jedi

What I always wanted to know, but never dared to ask: What religion do Hobbits have?
There doesn't seem to be any evidence of organised religion or worship in the book.
Does anybody know?
Answers on a postcard!

Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:32
Originally posted by white dragon

And Jedi

What I always wanted to know, but never dared to ask: What religion do Hobbits have?
There doesn't seem to be any evidence of organised religion or worship in the book.
Does anybody know?
Answers on a postcard!

I was actually , for once, serious about this.
The total lack of any hint that there any was religious worship in LotR has always baffled me.
I mean they had everything else you need in life: beer, potatoes and tobacco, but no churches, temples or priests.
Why's that then? Were they all agnostics or atheists or maybe Satanists who worshipped their master in secret so that Tolkien never noticed?
Can anybody enlighten me, please!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:40
I don't really believe in Religion.My faith is in myself,and no other..

In Honor
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:46

I was actually , for once, serious about this.
The total lack of any hint that there any was religious worship in LotR has always baffled me.
I mean they had everything else you need in life: beer, potatoes and tobacco, but no churches, temples or priests.
Why's that then? Were they all agnostics or atheists or maybe Satanists who worshipped their master in secret so that Tolkien never noticed?
Can anybody enlighten me, please!

Exactly, all things that have been borrowed from history seem to have been rid of the religious aspects and symbols. It is even more strange as there is quite overt magic going on, so you might expect people would be extra likely to attribute that to divine intervention. But maybe they're just completely numb, biblical characters maybe went 'wow' at first when they saw Moses turn the nile red, but in a LOTR setting it would probably be more like "ah come on, can we  just for once keep it blue please? "

Or maybe because everyone can tell so obviously whether a wight is good or evil from miles away, that they don't require any religion to draw the line...

Whatever you do, don't
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 18:07

Originally posted by white dragon

And Jedi

Does anybody know?
Answers on a postcard!

From what I understand, Tolkien's own view on what is a religion? was that a religion was it's mythology. As opposed to other people who would describe a religions mythology as a complement to the religion, or something uneccessary in the modern world. Tolkien put the mythology at centre as what appealed to people and the abandonement of the emphasis linked to the demise of western religion.

The rise of fanatical religion in the US and their putting the Satan myth at the centre of it could be an example. Where as in Europe it's don't mention the absurd stuff like fish, loafs and parting of seas and the religion is dying.

Tolkiens than filled his world with myths and local superstitions rather than organised religion. The Hobbits had many.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 18:30

And Jedi

Does anybody know?
Answers on a postcard!

I love answering questions about Tolkien!

Hobbits and Orcs were atheists (they didn't really understand the concept of religion, being rather simple beings). Although, I'm sure a couple of them came up with their own notions, most couldn't be bothered with it.

Men, elves and dwarves believed in Eru who is the god of Middle-Earth. Eru created the twelve Ainur and it was through the music they created, the realm of Arda was formed. Sounds a lot like Norse mythology, although Tolkien claimed to have based it on Christianity.

As for me, I was born a Protestant and became an Atheist. I just gradually lost faith over time...

"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 20:23
Don't critisice my Fav. film  I've spent a lot of time to be addicted to this movie, don't screw it!

Edited by ramin
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 20:59
I am Antiochian Greek Orthodox Christian.
Marcus Regulus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Marcus Regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 21:17

Protestant Conservative Christian -- Assemblies of God Pastor

Emile,

Antiochian Greek Orthodox Christian. 

Very interesting -- you are probably the only sect of Christianity I haven't talked too.  What's the difference between that and Roman Catholic?

HMMM.  Were dominated by Athiests and Agnostics -- Imagine my surprise.

Marcus Regulus
"Are you still so dull?" Jesus to his disciples
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 01:17
Originally posted by Marcus Regulus

Protestant Conservative Christian -- Assemblies of God Pastor

Emile,

Antiochian Greek Orthodox Christian. 

Very interesting -- you are probably the only sect of Christianity I haven't talked too.  What's the difference between that and Roman Catholic?

HMMM.  Were dominated by Athiests and Agnostics -- Imagine my surprise.

You have talked to a Coptic Christian, or someone from all approximately 30000 Protestant (and Protestant-derived) Christian Churches?

Edited by MengTzu
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 01:21
Was born and raised Catholic, tried to be devout Catholic and spent five years learning Theology on my own (I chose to try being a devout Catholic and learn Theology on my own by my choice and not pushed by my family) at one point, and now representing Confucianism.  Note: there's virtually no such thing as a Confucian organized religion, with the exception of the Confucian Church of Indonesia (a recent creation, probably by Chinese Indonesians, in reaction to the Indonesian laws that one must worship God.)  I have no affiliation with the Confucian Church in Indonesia.  There's no prominent Confucian religious organization from I'm from (Hong Kong,) and there is very little Confucian organizational support in the States where I live.  I'm more of a freelance Confucian (I'm also influenced by Taoism, Buddhism, and Western philosophies.)

Edited by MengTzu
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:33
Im glad no one picked Shinto, proto facist heap of quaint folksiness that it is.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 03:47
Born a Sikh, in Canada.....non-believer in religions though (which dismays my mother...) 
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 03:52

Originally posted by Tobodai

Im glad no one picked Shinto, proto facist heap of quaint folksiness that it is.

How's Shintoism fascist?

Marcus Regulus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Marcus Regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:24

You have talked to a Coptic Christian, or someone from all approximately 30000 Protestant (and Protestant-derived) Christian Churches?

Well, I suppose that was a little over the top but I have researched  a lot of them.  The name just struck me as I had never heard of it before.  I have heard of Coptic Chrisitianity and we need to realize that of the 30000 protestant denoms. 10000 must be Baptist. 

Gee people everyone takes religion to seriously around here.  Mellow Out.

Marcus Regulus
"Are you still so dull?" Jesus to his disciples
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:34

I just had this come to me for the poll it could be:  Christain, Buddism, Hinduism, Islam, Athiest, Tribel Religion, Judiasm, Confuscian, just to cover the basics.  Everyone falls under one of those catagories, jus to make it simpiler

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by Le Renard

I just had this come to me for the poll it could be:  Christain, Buddism, Hinduism, Islam, Athiest, Tribel Religion, Judiasm, Confuscian, just to cover the basics.  Everyone falls under one of those catagories, jus to make it simpiler

Out of interest where in those categories would Rastafarian, Baahi, Taoism, Animism, Satanism, Scientology and Jedi fit.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Moller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:01

hmmm...Ateist  bit protestant. Member of the protestant church but only visit once a year at Christmas Eve or atweddings etc. My logic tells my their are no god/gods but I think it is a nice thought that there actually is someone watching over us..

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:05
I put other, 'cause no-one put Animism! Grr!  Anyway, I'm not born Christian, but if I'd convert to Christianity, I would be a Catholic (also name: O'Rourke ). Now at the moment I'm a Finnish Pagan, with personal worship although I know fellow Pagans. Mind you, I dislike any neo-stuff.

Edited by Kuu-ukko
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 16:33
Originally posted by Marcus Regulus

Gee people everyone takes religion to seriously around here.  Mellow Out.

Actually I was just trying to be funny by poking fun at you.    Guess it sounded more serious than it really is. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>