Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sassanid Cataphract Third Century AD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sassanid Cataphract Third Century AD
    Posted: 20-Dec-2009 at 05:21

Although we have little information, we believe that the Aryan tribes, of which the Mitanni and Kassites were two, raised horses. We know that in the last century of their domination the Assyrians had large horses capable of bearing great weights; something that could not be accomplished without planned breeding. However, it was the Medes who left the first written proof of horse breeding. They bred racing horses, whose blood still runs in the veins of today’s Arab horses; from the seventh century BC, they started breeding larger horses for heavy cavalry, and these were known as Nisaean chargers. North of the Medes’ territory was the state of the Massagetaes, a people of Iranian extraction. It is not known whether they bought horses from the Medes or raised them themselves, but the first mentions of armoured soldiers riding on large armoured horses, dated to the sixth century BC, have been traced to them. Farther north were the related Sarmatians; in the third century BC, making use of their heavy armoured cavalry, they had destroyed the Scythian state. When Media, neighbouring Parthia and more distant Armenia became part of the Persian Empire, the Nisaean charger was used throughout Asia Minor.

With the growing aggressiveness of the role of cavalry, protection of the rider and horse became important. This was especially true of peoples who treated cavalry as the basic arm of the military. One condition had to be fulfilled for equipping a heavy cavalryman: a horse strong enough to carry the weight of its own and the rider’s armour. In the third and second centuries BC, the Sarmatians, Armenians and Parthians had such horses and were the first to have fully armoured riders. The Greeks called these warriors the cataphractii (covered over). Their equipment was very expensive, and only the aristocracy could afford it: the cataphracts were therefore the elite cavalry of the Parthians and, from the third century AD, the Sassanids. Their principal weapons were a long straight sword and a lance nearly 4 m/13 ft long. The lance was similar to the Greek sarissa or the Byzantine kontos, and in combat riders held it with both hands. The cataphracts used a dense formation in battle, horse to horse, and attacked at the speed their heavy equipment allowed – a slow trot.

On the banks of the Euphrates, at the Ancient Greek location of Dura Europos (fourth century BC, destroyed by the Sassanids in AD256) a well-preserved set of horse’s armour of this period was found. It includes scales for protecting the neck, and larger plates for the animal’s head (chamfrons). The armour was made of iron scales approximately 6×4.5 cm/2½ x 2 in and about 4 mm thick. They were rounded at the bottom, had two holes on either side, and four more arranged in a square at the top. The scales were held together by bronze wire threaded through the side holes. A set of armour consisted of about 1,300 scales, arranged as 50 scales in 16 lines on each side of the horse. Armour like this, together with the rest of the horse’s equipment, could weigh up to 40 kg/88 lb. There was no armour under the saddle.

Source

TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2009 at 10:16
Kaveh Farrokh has written two books which talk about the Savaran. You should check them out, they are very good reads!
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 07:51
Thanks, TheGreatSimba. I've alredy read "Elite Sassanian Cavalry" by Farrokh, the other book I've been told isn't that interesting, so I haven't read it..
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 16:32
Originally posted by Azadi

Thanks, TheGreatSimba. I've alredy read "Elite Sassanian Cavalry" by Farrokh, the other book I've been told isn't that interesting, so I haven't read it..

I have read the other book and it certainly is fascinating! I learned so much from it, I highly recommend it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2009 at 18:33
The accompanying drawing above is wonderful, but the knight has no stirupps! And the horse is not armoured upon the hind quarters! Did the warriors of that time not have to face arrows from the sky?

So, maybe we can assume (chuckle) that the ass was also covered? What is strange is that so many representations of attack horses show them with no armour at all? I can suppose that was at the artists discretion? Painting all of those muscles is or was a lot more satisfying I suppose!

Thanks for the information!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2009 at 18:04
The meaning of the picture was to show how effective breeding was. Horses could now actually carry heavy armour, if the artist had put on the knights full armour - you'll would not have seen the difference between this horse and an other one.
 Post Reply Post Reply