Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Greek sound like to a non speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Greek sound like to a non speak
    Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 09:26

Ai siktir?

Do people really use that in greece?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 09:47

Bloody hell, YES!

But will somebody explain me what does it mean?!!! PM me if it's too socking...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 12:56

Its something like Oh F**k.

But we also sometimes say hassiktir instead of assiktir but its not different.

Edited by Gazi
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 13:53
Originally posted by Yiannis

Bloody hell, YES!

But will somebody explain me what does it mean?!!! PM me if it's too socking...

It means;

F***k off,oh s**t.

Sik=pe**s(in argo) or in this meaning to f**k

hassiktir can be used as an argo expression to a bad situation.

You can also use it to tell someone to go away mare er-insultingly

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 14:07
Originally posted by Yiannis

I love this topic

Malaka is THE most common "bad word" in Greek. It's comparable to "wanker" and is a Greek word.

"Keratas" refers to "cheated husband", where does it come from in Turkish?

pazavank, orospu", "pich & karanagi I don't recognize, but of course we use "ai sihtir"  (what does it mean? go to hell?)

We also have mal but not malaka.

Kerata is also used

pezevank=pimp

orospu=prostitiute(in a very bad lingo)

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 15:36

We also have mal but not malaka.

Kerata is also used

pezevank=pimp

orospu=prostitiute(in a very bad lingo)

pezevank is used by Cypriots as pezevengis, and it means exactly what kerata means here in Hellas.
Yiannis may remember the old song

"ta rialia, rialia, rialia
ta selinia mona kai dipla,
ta monolira, pentolira kai pou'nta
o pezevengis pou ta'xei stin pouga"

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by Phallanx

pezevank is used by Cypriots as pezevengis, and it means exactly what kerata means here in Hellas.
Yiannis may remember the old song

"ta rialia, rialia, rialia
ta selinia mona kai dipla,
ta monolira, pentolira kai pou'nta
o pezevengis pou ta'xei stin pouga"

So they used the word "pezevenk" in a song?? What a shame for the singer!

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 16:23
What a shame for the singer!

What are you talking about, don't you people read anymore????

What is the shame in mentioning someone that has been betrayed by his wife in a song?????

I've already said it doesn't have the same meaning as in Turkish, the Cypriots have adopted some Turkish words but use them as synonyms to Hellinic ones, they don't use the original meaning.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 07:57
Interesting.SO the greeks and turks have a same taste for sware words.Kerata is common but my favorite one is malaka

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 09:17
I dont think we have malaka in Turkish. If you are talking about a different or midified word, I can be wrong...
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 10:50

Mal.I'm talking about mal.Changed though.

Oguzoglu for example:

"Lan mal herif!"

See how it fits

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 14:59
Originally posted by aknc

Mal.I'm talking about mal.Changed though.

Oguzoglu for example:

"Lan mal herif!"

See how it fits

Conguradilations. You are creative, but the word "mal" in Turkish morely referres to a person without improved understanding ability potential. So the words malaka and mal cant be the same word's versions, since midification at this level is not very possible...

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 17:40
So what's up, do or don't you know the language??

Edited by Phallanx
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 19:46

So what's up, do or don't you know the language??

I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 20:23
I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo

I was actually teasing Akyncy and Oguz for the whole "mal" mix up they seem to have. It wasn't any kind of reference to the Hellinic language.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 23:28
If our mother had taken the time I would been speaking Greek and probably Spanish but I suppose she didn't see the point in teaching us Greek in an English speaking world. I had one Spanish teacher, an Anglo, who really taught us how to speak Spanish. I hope I have a Greek instructor that good. I wish we had more Greeks here. This area is far more beautiful than Chicago or Boston.
Other than my native language if I could speak two languages it would be; Greek and Spanish, German third!!!

Downtown Spokane at dusk!!
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 09:24

I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo

I was actually teasing Akyncy and Oguz for the whole "mal" mix up they seem to have. It wasn't any kind of reference to the Hellinic language.

Way to go

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 10:15
The word malaka,comes from the Hellenic word malakia,which means disease.So malaka is the person who is sick.That's the proper meaning of the word.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 13:50

Why did you need to tease us? Akinci only thought the word can be a common word in both Turkish and Greek (he didnt even say that the word was derived from an original Turkish word) and I told him that the two words had nothing to do with each other. I didnt even claim that the word was a common word or originally was Turkish. So what's the problem?

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 16:18
Why did you need to tease us? Akinci only thought the word can be a common word in both Turkish and Greek (he didnt even say that the word was derived from an original Turkish word) and I told him that the two words had nothing to do with each other. I didnt even claim that the word was a common word or originally was Turkish. So what's the problem?

Lighten up!!!!
Don't take everything so seriously, there is nothing wrong nor insulting in what I posted, stop being so overprotective and try to have some fun from time to time. Does it really have to be all about arguments all the time????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>