Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American-Dutch political and trade relations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American-Dutch political and trade relations
    Posted: 25-Nov-2009 at 10:18
Hello everybody,

I'm currently researching, as the title suggests, American-Dutch political and trade relations, focussing on the 1500-1800 period. At the moment, I'm still orientating and looking for good sources, so I was wondering if any of you happen to know any. Both internet-sources and books/literature is greatly appreciated.

Basically, what I'm most interested in, is the trade the Dutch and colonial America had right after it was first colonized. It is well known that a ship flying the Dutch flag was the first to transport slaves across the ocean. Although it's a very touchy subject, I'm looking into it nonetheless.

What I also find interesting, is the fact that the former Republic of the Netherlands was one of the first to acknowledge the United States as a nation.

So every source that is reputable and preferably touches these subjects would be highly appreciated. And even if you have something that doesn't directly addresses these topics but has something to do with it nonetheless will be usefull, so feel free to contribute!

Thanks in advance!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2009 at 19:27
American and Dutch relationships are just like saying, "the thigh bone is connected to the leg bone", etc. That is, the Dutch and America are connected via most everything mentioned in the history of the Isles of the Angles, and Constantinople!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply