Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Socrates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Socrates
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [66.67%]
6 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
M.Scaevola View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote M.Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Socrates
    Posted: 10-Nov-2009 at 16:45
Well, he really doesn't need an introduction. I'd be interested to hear the justification behind your various ratings, and will abstain from voting myself.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2009 at 17:46
I cannot cast a vote, because he may well be but a figment of the imagination? Please note this sentence from Wikipedia;
"..the 'real' Socrates, like many of the other Ancient philosophers, remains at best enigmatic and at worst unknown."

You see, there exists no real evidence of his existance other than the word of one "Plato!"
So, I will nominate the personages who may or may not have been "Plato!"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
M.Scaevola View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote M.Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2009 at 03:10
Uh. Not really. First of all Plato is not the only one who refers to him, the other major source being Xenophon, and scholars all pretty much agree that Plato's rendering of "The Apology" was more or less true to the spirit of Socrates (it had to be, since there were hundreds of people who witnessed the trial). No one doubts that Socrates existed, and it's also clear that he had a specific influence on Athenian philosophical thought. 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2009 at 17:36
"Readers of Plato often find this work dull, considering it lacking both philosophical substance and the literary charm they have come to expect from Plato. Nevertheless, how Xenophon depicts Socrates in this work and his three more traditional dialogues requires great attention to the question: Who is Socrates?"

The above from Wikipedia. I forgot to enter the address; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorabilia_(Xenophon)

So, just why is Socrates to hard to find? Two students and it seems they describe two Socrates?

But, I could, of course, be wrong!

Edited by opuslola - 11-Nov-2009 at 17:37
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 20:16
Every student has a different view of their teacher and as rival philosophers they would both want to portray a well known philosopher like Socrates as being of the same mind as them so as to strengthen their own standing.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 20:31
Originally posted by p,c,ma

Every student has a different view of their teacher and as rival philosophers they would both want to portray a well known philosopher like Socrates as being of the same mind as them so as to strengthen their own standing.

And, by what sorcery do you delve your above answer?

Not saying you are wrong, but I would like to know how you came to such an answer?
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 20:46
Im still in high school and have much to learn but i know a few things one is that if you take two students who like the same teacher itll usually be for different reasons much less if one likes and one dislikes, and the other thing i know is that all people especially philosophers and politicians are oppertunist.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 20:55
Thanks! That was a nice and honest response, and your response above was not really bad!

Keep up the good work, and especially the honesty that comes with good scholarship!

Oh! Just work on your spelling! Laugh!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 08-Sep-2010 at 20:58
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 21:50
thanks i'll remember that
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 21:58
Naah!  Just do what Opus and everyone else, including me, does and use a spell checker.  I strongly suspect Opuslola of using a punctuation and structure checker as well. [I don't use.] 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 07:24
Thanks.

Edited by p,c,ma - 09-Sep-2010 at 07:24
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 11:22
While I should write my responses in a "Word" program of sometype, I rarely do so! Usually, when I find a word I cannot remember how to spell correctly, I just use the search engine, and type my tries until I find the correct spelling, other wise I reach for my dictionary!

As regards my punctuation, I am oft accused of over punctuation! I tend to use commas way beyond what anyone raised in the last 40 years or so would use them. I have even found that school textbooks used by my Step Daughter, who is exactly 30 years younger than am I, were very hard for me to read and comprehend because of the lack of punctuation used at that time! I have actually had to place my own commas, etc., in the textbooks, to make them readable!

Edited by opuslola - 09-Sep-2010 at 17:33
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 16:27
Lots of slang words are actually, slowly becoming useable words. Gonna is actually useable now.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 17:36
I'm gonna be watching you!

Look, I was born and raised in the South, so we have numerous slang terms for things, that are not oppenly known to the rest of the world!

That is, unless you watch a certain Southern comedian?
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 21:55
Hey im just quoting my english teacher, and Im from the south too.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 22:00
I was merely referring to Jeff Foxworthy, and other Southern comics!

Thanks,

Edited by opuslola - 09-Sep-2010 at 22:03
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2010 at 22:01
Ron White is dirty but a little bit funnier.
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by opuslola

I cannot cast a vote, because he may well be but a figment of the imagination? Please note this sentence from Wikipedia;
"..the 'real' Socrates, like many of the other Ancient philosophers, remains at best enigmatic and at worst unknown."

You see, there exists no real evidence of his existance other than the word of one "Plato!"
So, I will nominate the personages who may or may not have been "Plato!"

LOL
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 16:14
I am so glad that you were able to enjoy my above comment! Perhaps you will enjoy a lot more of them?

Regards,
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 17:08
Originally posted by opuslola

I am so glad that you were able to enjoy my above comment! Perhaps you will enjoy a lot more of them?

Regards,

How many experience points do I get if I defeat a troll like you?? LOL

In all seriousness, you were joking in your previous post?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>