Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNadir Shah, the last great Asian conqueror

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Nadir Shah Afshar (1688 - 1747)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [35.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
2 [11.76%]
6 [35.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nadir Shah, the last great Asian conqueror
    Posted: 13-Jun-2010 at 10:00
Persepolis was destroyed as retaliation for the destruction of the Athenian acropolis by Xerxes in 480 BC. It was not even a city, where innocent civilians lived, but a royal palace, the administrative center of the empire, which was built by the tributes the Persian took from their subject peoples. By modern standards, it was a legitimate military target - unlike the great trade city of Milet which was razed to the ground by the Persians in 494 BC.
Ramyar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2011 at 17:50
I was just looking at the older topics and saw this one and I couldn't help my self but to write a reply on
"unlike the great trade city of Milet which was razed to the ground by the Persians in 494 BC."

I personally have no Idea if thats true since the only source I have read that wrote this was herodotus , and you know how herodotus is right ....

but even if it was true , then that my friend was what we call these days payback = fair !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionian_Revolt#Sardis

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 16:31
Dear Ramyar, in your above posting, I am assuming that you were referring to the great city found at the following site;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miletus

Now I have never read anything concerning the naming of this formerly great city, but I would suggest that "Millet", a grain crop, might well have been the origin? Please see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet

"The millets are a group of small-seeded species of cereal crops or grains, widely grown around the world for food and fodder. They do not form a taxonomic group, but rather a functional or agronomic one. Their essential similarities are that they are small-seeded grasses grown in difficult production environments such as those at risk of drought. They have been in cultivation in East Asia for the last 10,000 years.[1]"

These grains also form a base for the growth of a deadly fungus, that could be the cause of the "black death!"? See;

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/middle-ages-food-bread.htm

"Middle Ages Food - Bread for the Poor
Bread made with barley, oats, or millet was always ranked as coarse food, to which the poor only had recourse in years of want. Barley bread was, besides, used as a kind of punishment, and monks who had committed any serious offence against discipline were condemned to live on it for a certain period.

Rye bread was held of very little value, and it was very generally used among the country people. Black wheat, or buck wheat, which was introduced into Europe by the Moors and Saracens when they conquered Spain, quickly spread to northern Europe which helped to ease the problems caused by famine." Now please see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

Just some "food" for thought?

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Sinsot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2013 at 10:16
Im great fan of Nader Shah Afshar because im from his own tribe and clan even might have his own blood who knows all i know is my family were an important but we kept our origin secret because qajars were against us :) Nader reunited iran again and it wasn't possible without force of Sword because iran is a huge country with different people and different languages and religions so a powerful sword was needed to make them united under one flag from Batumi to Badakhshan Derbent to Dubai :)
Nader was from Torkoman tribe of Afshar torkoman not Turkmen Afshar were people who became part of iran in age of Great Seljuk of Iran the word of Afshar or Usher come from Af Af means hunting in turkish Afshar means fast hunter and really it was in our blood for example when my dad was a kid he hunted birds by running after them and made them tierd which they couldnt fly any more and my dad got them :)
Afshars entered to Anatolia by Seljuk conquest Afshars in Anatolia made Beyelik ( local kingdoms which controlled by seljuk of rum and seljuk of rum controlled by seljuk of iran ) in 15th century Teymur from Iran attacked new born Ottoman Empire in age of Ilderim Bayezit karaman beyelik was mostly shia muslim but they were alliance of ottomans agains Teymur so Teymur captured many of them as Teymur was also shia grand father of Shah Ismail Safavi grantee they will make no problem if they become shia so Teymur set them free and they be follower of Safavi household in age is Soltan Salim he destroyed Karaman also it was time grandson of that sufi made a shia revoulution in iran to make west and east iran united ( Ak koyonlu and Teymuri which destroyed by Uzbeks ) so Afshar joint Ismail Army and they becsme 6th clan of Qizilbash of Safavid in age of next king Shah Tahmasp safavi ( age of famous wars with Soltan Soleyman the Magnificent or Kanuni ) afshars who left anatolia to Azerbaijan becsme two part a group returned to their homeland Khorasan in north east of iran against Uzbeks and a group which im from them came to south east of iran like kerman to make Pashtuns ( Afghan ) and Baloch and some persians in kerman shie muslim :) still Pashtuns ( afghans ) dont like afshar :) Nader shah was from Khorasani group he was against Kermani afshar tribe even
Sinsot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2013 at 10:29
One other great thing Nader shah did was making iranain open mind bout relgion
For centuries iran was one of the major sunni islam center and as we have our own sunni which name is Hanafi its mostly 80 or 90% like shia relgion of now days Turkey is Hanafi sunni as well
Abu hanife was an iranian arab man
Safavi kings made iran shia a fanatic shia which was brother of judiasm and christianity against ottomans but Nader shah became against of these things becuz half of his army were from sunni Uzbeks and Afghans ( Pashtuns ) so he made iranian respect sunni islam more he said even if u dont accept 1st three caliphs as caliphs at least dont insult or damn them he even changed green color of iran which was symbol of shia and safavi household and he put blue by this in now days iran people arent against sunni but sunnies might be against shias he made 1st Navy of iran also he had plan of At least all islamic lands live in peace together even if they hate each other's but ottomans always refused him and called him a pagan
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2013 at 13:18
Originally posted by Sinsot

torkoman not Turkmen
were did u read that pan iranist websites ?

One other great thing Nader shah did was making iranain open mind bout relgion
nadir was sunni muslem like today turkmens and he try to return iran from shia to sunni even by force this is why after he kill one of the well respected qajar lider and most of turkmens rebel against him  he left alone and assassinated

half of his army were from sunni Uzbeks and Afghans
most of his army was turkmens from modern day turkmenistan and north east of iran these are note able commander of his army

jan ali soltan goklan lider of goklan turkmens he and goklans hunt down ashraf afghan in moorche khort near isfahan he kill ashraf he remain loyal to nadir until the night nadir assassinated

hassan ali khan turkmen and sharif beg turkmen . 2 of nadir's commanders they retake tabriz from ottoman

mohammad khan turkmen the emissary of nadir to indians he killed by indians and this was the reason of nadir's invasion of india

Allahyar Beig Gerayli . he was nadir's commander in war with ottoman my mother is gerayli turkmen and gerayli is part of yomud turkmens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topal_Osman_Pasha

yomud are free people
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2014 at 21:53
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

Persepolis was destroyed as retaliation for the destruction of the Athenian acropolis by Xerxes in 480 BC. It was not even a city, where innocent civilians lived, but a royal palace, the administrative center of the empire, which was built by the tributes the Persian took from their subject peoples. By modern standards, it was a legitimate military target - unlike the great trade city of Milet which was razed to the ground by the Persians in 494 BC.

Is it just a great co-incidence that this great trading centre was named "Milet?", or is there another option?

Could it have stood for the grain "millet/ millet?"

Just an observation!

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Shahzadah Durrrani View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2016 at 19:31
I can certainly understand your exacerbation. Persepolis was only destroyed when there was literally no army left to defend .Alexander was a coward and pedophile. He burned the buildings in persepolis despite most of the people evacuated.

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2016 at 16:18
Originally posted by Shahzadah Durrrani

I can certainly understand your exacerbation. Persepolis was only destroyed when there was literally no army left to defend .Alexander was a coward and pedophile. He burned the buildings in persepolis despite most of the people evacuated.

Given the context and era; not to mention the conventional tactics and policies of the same. To burn a city, village etc. was not exceptional...but the norm. Especially between two or more belligerents.

Hence your characterization of Alexander as a coward is ridiculous.

You ascertation he was a pedophile has been cast as often as that regarding Mohammed as the same.

Hence your rhetoric smacks of the ultra Persian nationalist...not historical objectivity. And not an examination of cultural, social, sexual, religious, practices of the era.

Which in conclusion simply means ...until you gain a credible and intellectual appreciation of the aforementioned not to mention military practices and strategies as they formed and developed in the region and cultural era..

you are to be ignored as a TROLL.

Be wary about that..trolling...It will get you banned rapidly. Consider this your first and last warning.

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12